Sunday Part I

Finding Eden

It has been a while since Wonwoo and Mingyu have had a good rest free from nightmares. Mingyu awoke first on Sunday morning to him hugging Wonwoo. He studied the sleeping Wonwoo – Mingyu is never sick of staring at the perfection that is Wonwoo. He feels comforted by the body warmth that is Wonwoo’s. It has been like this since the first day he arrived at the orphanage.

 

Mingyu was crying over the loss of his parents. He was crying as he was fearful of his new surroundings. He was fearful of what would lie ahead for him. On Mingyu’s first night at the orphanage, Wonwoo climbed into Mingyu’s bed without saying a word, and hugged Mingyu tightly and cajoled the younger boy to sleep. As they were both tiny, they were able to fit comfortably into one bed. Wonwoo tried his best to sing Mingyu a lullaby and to reassure the younger boy that everything would be alright and he would be there to protect Mingyu. That seemed to calm the sobbing Mingyu down. Wonwoo decided to get Mingyu to count sheep so as to get Mingyu to sleep – but he ended up sleeping first. Mingyu smiled at the thought of the memory. Mingyu would later drift off to sleep – the warmth that was Wonwoo engulfed and reassured Mingyu that he was not alone in this world.

 

They did not always sleep together. It was at times when Mingyu was distressed or had a nightmare would Mingyu climb into Wonwoo’s bed for solace and comfort or the latter would climb into Mingyu’s bed when he found Mingyu experiencing discomfort during his sleep. During the so called “dark-age” of their orphanage life, Mingyu was always snuggling with Wonwoo. After they left the orphanage as Wonwoo started university and moved into the current apartment, Mingyu followed. There was a single bed which was large enough for both of them to share. The two boys thought nothing about it. They’ve slept together before. There were no inhibitions between them. In fact Mingyu was happy that he could be close to his Wonwoo hyung. He felt safe with his Wonwoo hyung as his hyung would help chase all his nightmares away.

 

It seemed to Mingyu that Wonwoo has had a peaceful sleep. Mingyu probably did not notice Wonwoo whimper, shout or cry in his sleep when they were in the orphanage. This became more evident to Mingyu when they started to share the same bed. He wanted to ask Wonwoo about it, but he knew Wonwoo would just brush it off. Perhaps it was due to the beatings Wonwoo suffered during the dark ages.

 

Since Wonwoo was sleeping soundly, Mingyu decided to get some more sleep.

 

……

 

It was almost 10am when Wonwoo woke up. He nudged Mingyu and tried to wake the younger in his raspy voice. “Mingyu-ya…wake up…we’re going for brunch.”

 

But he received no response from the younger.

 

“Mingyu-ya…”

 

Wonwoo felt the grip around him tighten further. “Hyung…just five more minutes…”

 

Wonwoo thought that since this would be the last day of Mingyu’s break, and they probably won’t be seeing each other for another two weeks at least, he relented and acceded to Mingyu’s request.  

 

……

 

“Hyung, this is a nice place,” Mingyu commented as both Wonwoo and himself stepped into a café. “I’ve always wanted to come here. Thank you, hyung.”

 

Mingyu hugged Wonwoo causing the older boy to break into a smile.

 

The café is located in a former warehouse. The interior retained its industrial look and adopted a chic and slightly modern look. The whiff of freshly brewed coffee caught Mingyu’s senses and he immediately ordered a drip coffee while Wonwoo opted for a latte.

 

Mingyu was really excited and he started taking photos of the interior and of the drinks. He updated his SNS immediately. He insisted on taking a photo with Wonwoo and both of them posed for a selfie together.

 

Mingyu had worked as a barista at a coffee chain and he knew all about coffee. Caffeine didn’t have that much of an effect on him. He could easily drink three shots of espresso and be able to get to sleep.

 

“How’s the coffee, Mingyu-ya?” Wonwoo asked after taking a sip of his latte.

 

“One of the best coffees I’ve tasted ever,” Mingyu gave his thumbs up. There was excitement in his voice. He was fidgeting in his seat “Can we check out the roaster before we leave?” 

 

Wonwoo could not help but smile at the 20 years old dream tree with his 1.85 metres height bubbling with excitement like a choding. He found Mingyu really cute and congratulated himself for making Mingyu happy.

 

“Hyung…hyung…do you want a sip of my coffee?” Mingyu offered.

 

“Drip coffee is too bitter for my taste,” Wonwoo shuddered. “I’m happy with my latte.”

 

“Aish…this hyung…you don’t know what you’re missing…” Mingyu tsk and shook his head.

 

Their food arrived not long after. Wonwoo had ordered spicy pulled pork with poached eggs on toast while Mingyu opted for the berries and ricotta hotcake with grilled pears which sat snuggly and fittingly on the plate with a dollop of crème fraiche and edible flowers decorating the golden hue of the pancake. It was just so Instagram-worthy that Mingyu had to snap a few photos of the pancake. He even got Wonwoo to take a photo of Mingyu with the pancake. And Mingyu made both of them pose for a selfie with the pancake. Mingyu quickly uploaded the photos on his SNS as the famished Wonwoo dug into this meal.

 

“Mingyu-ya, are you here to have brunch or to take photos?” Wonwoo asked as he saw Mingyu playing with his handphone and leaving his hotcake untouched.

 

“Both…The hotcake looks so pretty…I’m sure it will receive many likes…”

 

Wonwoo paused from his meal and took the knife and fork to cut the pancake into smaller pieces. He poked a piece of the pancake and brushed a little of the crème on the piece and asked Mingyu to open his mouth which the younger complied. Mingyu’s face lit up when he tasted the pancake.

 

“This is so fluffy and delicious!” he exclaimed. “Hyung…hyung…you should try it too.”

 

By then Mingyu had finished uploading his photos into his SNS. He took the knife and fork from Wonwoo and cut a piece of the pancake to feed Wonwoo. Wonwoo smiled and nodded in approval.

 

“Hyung can I try some of your food?” Mingyu asked and Wonwoo obliged as he cut up the food on his plate and fed Mingyu.

 

“This is so good…” Mingyu dragged and emphasised the word ‘good’. Wonwoo chuckled at Mingyu’s expression.

 

“All the menu items look rather interesting. If we ever return, I will order the French Toast and the Fried Chicken with Waffles and maple syrup,” Mingyu commented.

 

“Sure, we’ll return some time,” Wonwoo said.

 

The two boys were halfway through their meal when they were interrupted by someone who said hi to Wonwoo.

 

It was Na-eun.

 

“Wonwoo-oppa!” she greeted brightly. Wonwoo and Mingyu stood up to greet her. “Fancy meeting you here when our assignment is due on Thursday afternoon.”

 

“Well, I have to eat,” Wonwoo shrugged. “I heard the coffee and food is good, so            I’m here with my cousin. And the same goes for you. Shouldn’t you be working on your essay?”

 

Na-eun laughed. “Well, I have to eat to and I need a break from studies.”

 

Wonwoo realised that he had not introduced Mingyu and Na-eun.

 

“Na-eun, this is Kim Mingyu, my cousin. Mingyu, this is Son Na-eun. She is my classmate,” Wonwoo introduced.

 

Mingyu and Na-eun exchanged greetings.

 

“So you are the Kim Mingyu?” she asked.

 

Mingyu started blankly at Wonwoo wondering what she meant.

 

“Wonwoo-oppa often speaks of his cousin Kim Mingyu. He has even a photo of both of you as his wallpaper on his handphone. I heard you’re training to be an idol. You are really handsome, but you know, wow, you’re really tall and handsome in person,” she gushed.

 

Mingyu bowed and thanked Na-eun for her praise.

 

Na-eun turned to Wonwoo and tugged at his hand which did not go unnoticed by Mingyu.

 

“Oppa, so this is the cousin you are spending the entire weekend with that you would actually forsake your work,” Na-eun teased.

 

Mingyu was trying his best to smile but he felt a little salty – first with Na-eun tugging at Wonwoo’s hand and behaving extremely friendly with Wonwoo, and that Wonwoo introduced him (Mingyu) as his cousin and she had to rub it the fact that Wonwoo had to take time off his assignment just to spend time with him.  

 

Mingyu tried to brush the thoughts off. They’re classmates so it is normal for them to be friendly. And I suppose he has to introduce me as his cousin. After all our status is complicated growing up in the orphanage…it’s not like we’re brothers or lovers or anything…and neither Wonwoo nor himself wanted to talk about their experience growing up in the orphanage…

 

Soon three other girls joined Na-eun. Mingyu noted that Wonwoo know one of them who goes by the name of Cho-rong which Mingyu found out is another one of Wonwoo’s classmates. The other two girls were Ji-ae and Eun-ji and they attended the same university except they were in different faculties. Cho-rong, Na-eun and Wonwoo were busy in their own conversation over the assignment which made Mingyu feel left out. He didn’t understand anything they were talking about since it was all law related. Meanwhile he engaged in a conversation with the other two girls and he talked about coffee, regaling them with his knowledge about coffee. They seemed impressed with his knowledge.

 

They continued the conversation for about five minutes before Na-eun dragged the girls off back to their table to have their brunch. Mingyu bowed and politely said goodbye to them. Wonwoo and Mingyu continued with their meal. Mingyu seemed a little more subdued and he was listlessly stabbing at his food.

 

“Is everything okay, Mingyu-ya? Are you full?” Wonwoo asked gently. He knew Mingyu always had a good appetite and Mingyu playing with his food was a rare occurrence and the older was concerned.

 

Mingyu forced a smile. He was not in a very good mood. He felt inferior to Wonwoo and Wonwoo’s friends. He didn’t understand a word of they said. He felt really stupid. He was nowhere as successful as Wonwoo. He was still a trainee and had not debuted yet. He could never talk about law with Wonwoo and was a little envious of the conversation Wonwoo was having with Na-eun and Cho-rong and that Na-eun was all touchy-feely with Wonwoo, grabbing his hand and acting all demure which Wonwoo did not seem to mind.

 

Does hyung think I am stupid? Will hyung look down on me? Does hyung like that Na-eun? Will hyung be like this in the future?

 

Mingyu was worried that a gulf will soon develop between him and Wonwoo.

 

“Mingyu-ya…”

 

“Hmm…”

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

“Hyung! What are you sorry for?” Mingyu was a little alarmed.

 

“I know this is our time together yet I spent about five minutes discussing my law studies with my classmate. I’m sorry, Mingyu-ya. I know you felt left out…”

 

Mingyu felt like dying inside at Wonwoo’s apology and consideration towards Mingyu. “It’s okay hyung. I kept the other two girls entertained.”

 

Wonwoo extended his hand to touch Mingyu’s hand. “You know nothing has changed between us…even if I become a lawyer…and you become an idol…I’m always your Wonwoo-hyung and you’re always Kim Mingyu I love and cherish the most.”

 

Mingyu would have broken down in tears at Wonwoo’s reassuring and comforting words, but he held it inside him. He merely thanked his Wonwoo-hyung for his words. Mingyu’s appetite was now restored and he continued attacking his brunch with gusto.

 

Wonwoo knew that Mingyu was feeling insecure about himself.

 

Silly Mingyu, you have nothing to feel insecure about. I’ll always love you for the way you are, Wonwoo thought.

 

Just then, Wonwoo received a message from Na-eun and he chuckled. “Looks like Mingyu here have some fans before his debut.”

 

“What?”

 

“Na-eun just told me that her friends think you’re really tall and handsome. Even Cho-rong and Na-eun think so themselves. And they said they will buy your album if you ever debut. Oh and her friends ask if they get to know you…by exchanging SNS or something. We could even go out in the future…” Wonwoo said.

 

“Sure, they could contact me through SNS. You could pass them my ID,” Mingyu said. “Speaking of SNS…” Mingyu grabbed his mobile for a look and squealed in excitement.

 

“What’s going out?” Wonwoo asked. He was a little confused at Mingyu’s sudden outburst.

 

“Look!” Mingyu waved his handphone excitedly.

 

“If you keep waving it about, how am I supposed to look?” Wonwoo pointed out while feeling amused at the same time.

 

“Oh, right,” Mingyu showed Wonwoo the thing which got him excited. It was the number of likes he received for the pictures he had just uploaded on his SNS. In particular there were many likes and comments about the picture he had taken with Wonwoo and the hotcake.

 

“Two handsome boys and a beautiful hotcake.”

 

“Such eye candy…from the boys to the food.”

 

“I feel so hungry looking at the pictures.”

 

“I can’t decide whether the hotcake is more appealing or whether the boys are.”

 

“They are so handsome.”

 

“I wasn’t feeling hungry but seeing the two handsome boys and the pretty hotcake has worked up my appetite.”

 

“Wow! Such visuals!”

 

Mingyu beamed proudly at Wonwoo. “I told you that the photo will receive many likes and comments. They called us handsome.”

 

Wonwoo was blushing at the praise as he muttered, “You’re the handsome one, Mingyu-ya.”

 

“Hyung, you’re handsome too,” Mingyu said. “Maybe not as handsome as me…but still handsome…”

 

Wonwoo scoffed. “So it’s all about you…being handsome…”

 

“No…no…no…hyung is really handsome…he is the most handsome man I’ve met in my entire life.”

 

“That’s sweet, Mingyu-ya. But I’m sure you’ll meet other good looking guys when you debut. That time, you would not think this hyung is handsome,” Wonwoo remarked.

 

Wonwoo continued to scroll down the comments and he paused at one comment. He felt a blush creep over his face. Mingyu noticed Wonwoo’s blush and he reached for his handphone. He spotted the comment which made Wonwoo blush.

 

“Are they friends, relatives or boyfriends? Wow they look good together. Wishing them happiness.”

 

Mingyu wanted to break out into a victory dance at the comment. He was heartened that it was not a homophobic slur. Anyhow, Mingyu decided to play it cool and laughed awkwardly. “Of course we look together, right? Wonwoo-hyung?”

 

His comment caused Wonwoo to avert Mingyu’s gaze and shift his gaze to his nearly finished food in front of him.

 

“No matter what happens, we’ll be happy right, Wonwoo-hyung?” Mingyu asked softly to which Wonwoo nodded his head. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey readers! How have you been? I've not forgotten about this story. It's just that I've been busy for the last 2.5 months. I was going through a bad patch for a while...unrequited love...and I experienced some paranoia over some assignment. Then I had to finish assignments and prepare for the exams. So I was pretty much kept busy by such things. It is going to be a full on busy month for me till early June at least, so if I did not update this story, it probably means I am busy with my essays.

I hope you enjoyed this little update. I hope you enjoyed the Meanie interactions in this episode. I find the interactions both sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. Please do leave your comments because I do appreciate them. And if you have yet to subscribe to this story, please do so.

And do check out my other stories too if you have the time.