Home

Finding Eden

Kim Mingyu paused in front of the familiar apartment door. He took a deep breath and exhaled. His hands were trembling as he d for his keys in his bag.

 

“Why are you so nervous Kim Mingyu? This is home. You’re coming home to Wonwoo hyung. You’re safe here.”

 

He fiddled with his keys before inserting into the keyhole. His hands were still trembling as he turned the keys.

 

“Smile Mingyu! You can do that. You’re going to be an idol, right? The company has taught you to smile in front of the cameras and audience. You have practised this so many times. You can do that. You can make a fake smile look real. Just treat Wonwoo hyung as your audience. But he’s Wonwoo hyung. How can I fake a smile in front of him? He isn’t a member of the audience which you don’t know. He’s not a camera. I have to smile. I have to be happy. I can’t let him find out. I don’t want to burden hyung more than I should. You can do this Mingyu! You owe it to hyung…” Mingyu tried to reassure and calm himself.

 

Taking one last deep breath, he opened the door and traipsed into the apartment. He took off his shoes and slipped into his flip-flops. The place was quiet. Is he not at home? But Mingyu noticed Wonwoo’s favourite pair of shoes on the rack. His flip-flops weren’t on the rack. He’s probably at home.

 

Mingyu took a few steps and left the items he was carrying on the small dining table. It was then Wonwoo shuffled lazily out of his bedroom looking all bleary-eyed and lost.

 

“Hyung…” Mingyu called out. His tone was gentle, somewhat longing and emotional.

 

Mingyu took a few broad steps towards Wonwoo which was fairly easy for him since he was tall and had long legs, and scooped Wonwoo into a deep embrace.

 

“I missed you so much hyung,” Mingyu sniffled.

 

Damn it, why am I crying?

 

Wonwoo gently ruffled Mingyu’s hair. “I missed you too, Mingyu-ya.”

 

Wonwoo was trying to hold back his tears. “Why are you crying Mingyu?”

 

“I’m not,” the younger boy protested as he tried his best to conceal his sniffles.

 

“It’s okay Mingyu-ya. You’re just…overjoyed…right?” Wonwoo asked somewhat cautiously.

 

“I am…” the other boy replied.

 

They stood locked in embrace for a few minutes with Mingyu wrapping his arms round Wonwoo’s slender waist as Wonwoo Mingyu’s hair and patted the younger but taller boy’s back. It was a while before Mingyu released his grip on Wonwoo. Wonwoo stepped back and glanced at Mingyu’s face.

 

“Your eyes are red,” Wonwoo observed.

 

Mingyu took Wonwoo’s hand and turned his glance away from Wonwoo. “Come on let’s eat before the food gets cold.”

 

…..

 

They decided to watch a movie on Wonwoo’s laptop as they feasted on their dinner of fried chicken, beer and unhealthy snacks. Wonwoo face lit up in delight when he caught the whiff of fried chicken. He was even more surprised when he discovered it was from his favourite shop and he hugged Mingyu in happiness. “Mingyu-ya, you didn’t have to…”

 

“I was on the way…so it wasn’t a bother…”

 

……

 

“Mingyu-ya, aren’t idols on strict diets or something?” Wonwoo piped up as they were halfway through the movie and wolfing down the fried chicken. “And here you’re snacking on fried chicken, beer and snacks. Are you allowed to do that?”

 

Mingyu was taken aback by Wonwoo’s sudden question. Did he catch on to something? Does he know something is amiss?

 

Mingyu decided to laugh it off. “That’s usually for the girls. They aren’t so strict with us guys. We are allowed some guilty pleasures once in a while. And besides, it’s my free time. I can eat whatever I want.”

 

Wonwoo merely nodded.

 

He seems satisfied with my answer, Mingyu thought to himself.

 

It was a lie. The company was strict on their diets. If the boys were caught snacking or eating junk and unhealthy food in the dorm, or eating more meals than they should, or outside a stated time, they would be severely punished with physical activity.

 

Mingyu decided to shift the topic away from him. “Hyung, you look as though you’ve not had a proper meal in days.”

 

Wonwoo paused with a piece of fried chicken in his hand and smiled sheepishly. “You’ve caught me. Well, I’ve been having ramyun and bread for the last few days. I’ve been too busy to have a proper meal.”

 

“Hyung…” Mingyu protested. “And here you’re all worried about my diet. You should worry about yourself. You should take good care of yourself now that I’m not around you to fix your meals when you’re busy. You’re making me worried. Didn’t you promise me that you would have proper meals?”

 

“Ara…arasseo. Mianhae, Mingyu-ya. I’ll try to have…”

 

“What do you mean you’ll try…? You must…” Mingyu complained.

 

“Ara…arasseo…I will…” Wonwoo reassured Mingyu.

 

……

 

They finished their dinner by the time the movie ended. Mingyu tidied up while Wonwoo took a shower. It was then Mingyu’s turn to shower. The two boys decided to continue with their movie marathon on Wonwoo’s bed.

 

They propped their heads with pillows. It was a single bed. As the two boys were on the skinny side, they had no problems sharing a bed. They’ve done this before and this was no discomfort to them. They snuggled close as Mingyu rested his head on Wonwoo’s shoulder. There was a comfortable silence. They did not speak much except to make some comments about some of the scenes. They were three-quarters through the movie when Mingyu realised that Wonwoo was already fast asleep. It was then Mingyu remembered that Wonwoo has had a busy few weeks. He has had a term test, and a couple of essays to complete and he had to catch up with his revision. Not to mention, Wonwoo had to juggle his tutoring jobs. Poor hyung, he’s probably mentally and physically exhausted, Mingyu thought to himself.

 

He gingerly lifted Wonwoo’s head so as not to disturb the older so as to get the older boy in a flat sleeping position. Mingyu then proceeded to stop the movie and turn off the laptop. He got out of bed to turn off the lights.

 

Mingyu studied Wonwoo’s peaceful visage from whatever flicker of light that was streaming into the room from the night lights which illuminated the city. He traced the contours of Wonwoo’s chiselled face, and marvelled at the breath-taking view and perfection that was Jeon Wonwoo.

 

Hyung is really handsome, Mingyu thought. Mingyu was tempted to kiss Wonwoo on his lips but he refrained himself from doing so. Instead, Mingyu let his lips coast and ghost over Wonwoo’s forehead before setting in for a gentle peck. He allowed his sinful lips to linger on for a few moments on Wonwoo’s forehead before he withdrew his lips with a sigh of contentment.

 

Mingyu rested his head on Wonwoo’s chest. Mingyu’s lips curved into a victorious smile as he took in the fruity scent of Wonwoo’s hair. It was the shampoo he had bought for Wonwoo. And while he could detect a faint whiff of the body wash which Wonwoo uses courtesy of Kim Mingyu, it was Wonwoo’s natural scent and his presence that has a calming effect on Mingyu and Mingyu knew that he was finally home.

 

Mingyu turned his face sideways and snuggled into Wonwoo’s chest and he hugged Wonwoo to sleep.

 

“I love  you Wonwoo-hyung,” Mingyu murmured.

 

And for the first time in few weeks, Mingyu could have a good sleep. 

....................................................................................................................................................

Here's wishing all my readers a Happy New Year (2016) in advance. What hopes and resolutions do you have for the New Year? One is to complete my law studies, attain good grades and get an internship somewhere. And to continue writing fan fictions and update my food blog regularly. 

 

I know this update is rather short but I hope you enjoyed the Meanie interactions in this chapter. I hope this chapter conveys to you that they love and care for one another. 

 

Why do you think Mingyu was feeling nervous about coming home?

 

Please shower this fiction with your comments because comments do mean a lot to me. And please subscribe to this story if you like it too. And if you have the time, please check out my JiKook fanfiction That Year, the Sun Shines

 

If you have not read my completed stories, do check out Heaven's Boys and Kyumin: 60 days for an emotional read during the holidays.