Almost

Butterfly

Sana almost died.  

 
Momo wished she could forget the day. The day she almost lost her best friend. A part of her knew that eventually the day would come but they were only 15. She was too young. It wasn't fair. 
 
As Momo sat in the waiting room in between her parents, she couldn't help feeling angry. 
 
Why did it have to be her best friend? Why now? Out of all the girls in the world it have to be her. 
 
"Momo maybe we should go get something to eat." Her mother suggested. 
 
Momo glared over at her. "No. If something happens I need to be here. You go." She waved her away. 
 
"Momorin..." 
 
"Only Sana can call me that." She snapped, standing up angrily. "Don't you understand at all. Why we're here. What can happen. This isn't a time for food or distractions. Sana needs me and I can't be with her." She yelled, pacing in front of her parents. 
 
"Shh, calm down Momo. I'm sorry. You're right, it was silly of me to suggest it. Please calm down." Her mother tried to sooth her. 
 
Just in that moment Sana's father appeared, eyes red from crying. 
 
The family stood and bowed, looking to him questioningly. 
 
"It's almost time." He choked out. "She wants you to say goodbye." He said looking to Momo.
 
Her heart had stopped the moment he spoke, her parents gasped and stifled their cries as they gripped onto their daughter. 
 
"Momo." Her father whispered, as she stood there frozen. 
 
Shaking herself out of her stupor she nodded and followed Sana's father to her room. 
 
She had no idea what she was going to say and she fought hard to hold in the sob that was threatening to burst out of her. 
 
She didn't look at Sana's mother who sat on the floor outside Sana's room sobbing. A nurse sat by her, comforting her. 
 
She walked in alone, heart heavy as she saw her best friend who looked so small on the bed that was too big, connected to million different machines. 
 
Despite all the tubes connecting to her face, Sana managed to give her a weak smile and Momo felt herself crumble. Even to the end, Sana managed to radiate. 
 
Sitting on the chair beside the bed, Momo gently held her hand. 
 
"Hey." She whispered out in a thick voice. 
 
"Hi." Sana croaked out, bursting into a coughing fit. 
 
"You don't have to talk." Momo said worriedly, "I know it must be hard." 
 
Sana smiled thankfully to her. 
 
"I-I don't know what to say." Momo cried. "I can't say goodbye. This can't be goodbye. It's too soon." Momo shook her head in denial. 
 
"Best friends forever remember? We have so much more that we need go do together, like go to a Big Bang concert, go to Seoul and stalk all our favorite idols. Remember, you said you'd getter better so we could go. You promised. Why are you breaking your promise." She sobbed, laying her head down on the bed, looking up at Sana who looked over at her sadly. "I know you've come to terms with your sickness but I can't. I can't lose you." 
 
"I can't." She whispered. 
 
-
 
Sana didn't leave them that day. Miraculously she got better, her hair grew back and Momo had her best friend. 
 
But just as things seemed to be getting better they were hit with another road block. 
 
"Moving?" Momo repeated in disgust. "Where?" 
 
The two sat beside each other on Sana's bed, having just finished watching a movie. 
 
"Seoul." Sana replied, looking down at her toes. 
 
"What? Why?" Momo asked in confusion. 
 
Sana shrugged, "There's this really good doctor I guess." 
 
They both fell silent, processing the news. 
 
"When?" Momo whispered. 
 
"Next month." 
 
Momo shook her head, just when she thought everything was fine. 
 
"This ." She cried out falling back on the pillow. 
 
Sana fell beside her and nodded. "I know. I'm sorry." 
 
Momo sighed and looked over at her. "Don't apologize. Don't worry, I'll figure out a plan." 
 
"A plan for what?" Sana looked at her in confusion and worry.
 
"To follow you there of course." Momo explained. "Don't worry your pretty little head about it." Momo gently rubbed Sana's head, making Sana giggle. 
 
Momo would find a way, she almost lost her once she wasn't going to let it happen a second time.