Chapter 5

Opposites Attract
-Y/N-

 
        I strode down the sidewalk, uncertain of where to go or how long I’d be out. What time is it…? I asked myself as I pulled out my phone, pressing the button on the side to arouse it from sleep. Two fifteen. Great. Sighing, I crossed the street, not even bothering to check for cars in the quiet of night. There was nobody in sight. Everybody is asleep at home now; not even the drunks are out anymore. They entire city is asleep. Except for me. I can’t believe I ran… I’m such a coward.
        I scrolled through my messages mindlessly, fading into the shadows as I took random turns. There weren’t many conversations in my phone; I only have a few contacts as it is. I smiled as I reread the conversation I had with Konekomaru. He’s interesting, and really smart. Exiting the conversation, I looked over the names once more before I realized I had a text; sent at nine forty three. A goodnight text the took only a few moments to arrive after I had sent mine, though I hadn’t noticed. I checked the sender; Rin OkumuraI wonder if he’s still up.
        I wandered about for a few minutes, thinking about Rin, only stopping when I realized where my feet carried me. Yukio’s and Rin’s dorm. I stared up at the window of the room they shared, my eyes latching onto a soft glow.
        
“Rin?” my fingers texted the male by themselves, though I never once tried to stop them. The light in the window grew brighter, allowing me to confirm that it was indeed Rin that was awake.
        
“What’s up?” a reply came moments later, shifting my frown into a small, soft smile. My fingers flew across the keyboard on the screen as I walked towards the entrance and leaned against the wall.
        
“Can you come outside?”
        “Yeah, just gimme a sec!”
        I smiled, relieved that I wouldn’t wander alone. I could hear shuffling inside, a few bumps accompanying it. Waiting patiently, I stared up at the sky as my smile vanished.
        “Hey!” Rin called out, jogging over to me. I offered a smile, shrinking into my thin sweater as a cold breeze blew past me. Rin narrowed his eyes, examining my face. My eyes were sore, probably still pink, though not so puffy. There was a bruise on my right cheeks, and on various other places over my body where the navy haired male couldn’t see. I kept silent, knowing he was trying to figure it out. “What happened?”
        I let out a breathy chuckle, lowering my eyes to the ground before jerking my head to the side, indicating we should walk as I took a few steps. Rin fell in step with me, shoving his hands into his pockets. We walked in silence for a while. Twenty three minutes, to be exact.
        “You remember when I showed up at the cram school… in the girl’s uniform… right?” Rin nodded as I looked out the corner of my eye, I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes as I thought about what happened earlier.
        “It was only a couple days ago… and kind of hard to forget.” The male beside me rubbed the back of his neck, a light blush creeping onto his face.
        “The girls took pictures.”
        “And they sent hem to everyone!?” Rin shouted, assuming the worst had happened.
        “Not quite,” I smiled, amused by the expression on Rin’s face for a short moment, “One of the girl’s boyfriend… he found the picture. Sent it to himself, then to all his friends. The girls came to apologize right after they found out.”
        “And those guys. They did that to you?” Rin glared straight ahead, his question causing me to recall how I had gotten so bruised. I let out a small giggle, confusing the poor Okumura beside me.
        “No, I actually fell down the stairs,” I laughed, gingerly placing a hand on my bruised cheek. Rin frowned, unsure whether or not to believe me.
        “Did they push you?”
        “No. Tripped over my own two feet. Clumsy, huh?” I sighed, knowing full well the male beside me didn’t believe a word I was saying. I stared at the ground as we walked, occasionally straying closer to the navy haired male than intended. We walked quietly, not saying a word until we stumbled upon an old park near the edge of a forest.
        “I know you don’t believe me, Rin,” I started, stepping up onto the seemingly ancient swing. Rope tied it to the large tree in the center of the strange park. The base of the swing was wood, which made it easy to stand on. “But, I really did trip. I caused myself to fall down the stairs. I’m not the most athletic person. I’m clumsy when it comes to running. I ran. I ran from the guys. They never hurt me, barely even said a word, actually. I just got scared.” I crouched down, slowly sitting on the swing as I whispered the words, ashamed. Rin stood behind me, gripping the roped on either side of my head. I could feel the heat radiating the male as a sudden gust of wind attacked the tree branches, causing me to shiver.
        “What did they say?” Rin asked as I leaned back into him, my head resting on his chest.
        “J-just that… I looked good in a… skirt.” I mumbled, barely audible. My face quickly grew hot as I remembered how I panicked, taking off down the hall.
        “Well, you do.” Rin stated, chuckling lightly, resulting in my face burning at such an intense heat, I thought it would melt off despite the cool air outside. “I think you look better without the uniform, though.” I tensed, staring up at the taller boy in shock.
        “I-I mean, in your normal clothes!” Rin panicked, holding his hands up in defense as he backed away slightly, a blush creeping up his face. I laughed, standing up silently, dusting myself off before spinning around to face the male, a bright smile on my face as I walked towards him, a sudden rush of courage flowing through my veins. I saw the sun beginning to rise at the corner of my peripheral vision as I took one last step towards Rin, stopping just centimeters before him.
        Reaching up, I grabbed the confused boy’s collar, falling him down to my level and smashing my lips onto his clumsily, my eyes fluttering shut. Rin’s hands hovered at my sides, unsure what to do. I broke away, my face red, though still smiling. “Thanks for walking with me, Rin. I’ll see you later.” I laughed, spinning around quickly before taking off down the path we had come. I turned the corner, stopping immediately to sneak a peek back at the navy haired male, hoping I didn’t screw up.
        I hid behind the corner building, watching as the elder Okumura stood there, his right hand covering the lower half of his face as he stared at nothing, face red and full of shock. I bit my lip, willing him to move, to make some kind of expression other than shock as he lowered his hand. Rin squeezed his eyes shut, as he punched the tree, causing it to shake viciously. “Damn it! I was supposed to make the first move!” His anger soon dissolved into laughter, until he checked the time. “, Yukio’s gonna kill me!”