The End

Loveless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His heart constricted in his chest, and with those four simple words, Sunggyu felt his world come crashing down around him.

 

No. A voice, so quiet and so soft that he knew it could only come from the recesses of his mind. No, it said. Still firmly in denial.

 

He had thought, childishly, that they still had a chance. That they were better than this; all the other couples in the world that couldn't make it work—he thought they were better than them. Their marriage was far from perfect, yes, and at times it was just bad. But not so bad that they couldn't hold it together, love or no love.

 

Because he had believed--in sickness and in health. In good times and bad times. Till death, do they part.

 

Was it all a lie?

 

Who was he trying to kid. Their union had been a lie from the very beginning. A sham. An arrangement.

 

He knew what he had to do. Even though it killed him inside; even though it was the last thing he wanted--

 

Eunji deserved better.

 

“If that's what you want.” He answered dully. Tone flat, and defeated.

 

Eunji's eyes looked dead. She nodded once, and that was that.

 

.

 

She hadn't known how much words could hurt, until it did. Sunggyu turned to leave, and she desperately wanted to say something because this right now... this was it.

 

If he walked out that door... their marriage would be over.

 

She wasn't an idiot. She knew what she had done. Yes, they have had arguments worse than this before, where curse words were thrown about and things around the house got broken and smashed... but none felt as heavy and final as this. She had said the words that had led them down the path of no return.

 

What else could she say to make this better?

 

I loved you once. Her head provided.

 

I love you still. Her traitorous heart whispered.

 

But she stayed silent as she watched him leave the apartment.

 

.

 

*beep*

 

“Hello? Eunji-eonnie! This is Naeun. Um... I just wanted to ask if you're alright. I'm worried about you. I thought of going over but I didn't want to bother you in case you're resting but... please call me or come over when you have the time. Take care... bye.”

 

.

 

*beep*

 

“Hey, where are you? Did you forget we had a meeting at 12? To go over that embezzlement case before Monday? If you're not here in five minutes you're paying for all of our coffee!”

 

.

 

*beep*

 

“Eunji? Uh... Ilhoon here. Look, about yesterday, we're so sorry things got out of hand. None of us noticed anything suspicious, but we're trying to find out what happened... and um... we'll call you if there's anything. Hope you feel better. Bye.”

 

.

 

*beep*

 

“Why aren't you picking up your phone? Oh, this is Dongwoo by the way. Hoya's really pissed that you're not here yet... I mean, we can't really work on the case without you. Did something happen? It's not like you to slack off, hyung! Call us when you get this message, okay? Bye.”

 

.

 

*beep*

 

“EUNJI!!!! EUNJI-YAH!!! I'M SO SORRY! This is -sniff- this is Bomi... I-I can't believe you were DRUGGED! EUNJi!!! ARE YOU OKAY?! DID YOU GO TO THE HOSPITAL?!!! I FEEL SO TERRIBLE! I mean literally! Because I'm so hungover... BUT MOSTLY I FEEL TERRIBLE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU!! -more crying and wailing- Eunji, Ilhoon and I went back to the place! And we talked to the bartender... and guess what?! There was a new waitress they just hired a few weeks ago, and she was in charge of cleaning and wiping the glasses yesterday. We interogated her and she confessed to--

 

*beep*

 

Message recorded.

 

Eunji blinked as the message came to an abrupt end. She had laid motionless on the couch for the past few hours, staring blankly at the wall and ignoring every phone call that came through. She sat up slowly, staring at the phone... and waiting.

 

A few seconds later, Bomi was calling again. Eunji didn't pick up; she just waited for the ringing to end.

 

*beep*

 

“--damnit! Stupid voicemail limit. Anyways! Eunji, the waitress said that she had PUT THE DRUG ON THE GLASS!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter