The Problem

Loveless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yesterday night, it had been about whose turn it was to unload the dishwasher. It then escalated to whose turn it was to update the chore chart. It then totally blew over to whose job was more important that they can't afford free time to update the freakin' chore chart. Why don't you do it, you lazy ?

 

As per usual, both of them retired to their -separate- beds angry and pissed off.

 

On that Friday morning it had been about pancakes.

 

Eunji insisted that she needs healthy, gluten-free pancakes. She's on a diet, thank you very much. Unlike you who hasn't been shape since the 1990s'.

 

Sunggyu tossed her pancakes into the trash without a word. When she argued, he retorted that next time she could very well wake up on time to make her own pancakes. Because when someone has the decency to make you breakfast, you shut up and you eat it and be grateful, you cold-hearted witch.

 

As per usual, both of them headed to work in their -separate- cars angry and extremely pissed off.

 

Eunji's students knew better than to get on her bad side during first period, and Sunggyu's co-workers would tiptoe around him until they get the clear signal; usually when he would smile his first smile of the day. Sometimes they had to wait until lunch, but sometimes he wouldn't smile at all if his bad mood lasted until the shift ends. On those days every employee would be on their absolute best behavior, despite the fact that Sunggyu was notorious for being a benevolent, considerate boss that would never take his anger or frustration out on other people. Still no one wanted to risk anything.

 

And although she has a temper, Eunji isn't capable of holding grudges. Any negative feelings would usually be gone after first period where then she would go back to being the cool, funny teacher that everyone likes and looks up to. Her day would go about as normal and she would temporarily forget all the stress and drama of her current marital life.

 

When lunch rolled around, Eunji would eat with the other teachers in the staff room. Her daily menu almost always consisted of the same things--chicken salad and sweet potatoes, bought at the cafeteria.

 

Her usual lunch buddy was Bomi, one of the dance instructors. But sometimes she would ditch Eunji to get lunch with her boyfriend. It didn't bother her as much--she had plenty other people in the room to talk to.

 

There's Hyolyn and Jieun, her seniors who were very helpful and supportive since her first day on the job. Hyosung was another dance instructor, and basically the only other female co-worker that Eunji would consider herself to be close with. Lee Joon was the newly appointment head of the theatre department, and everyone can agree that he had enough dramatics to pull it off. He was annoying to eat lunch with sometimes, but he was always entertaining. At least he was much more fun to hang out with than the musical theory teacher, Jinyoung, who always seem to prefer doing paperwork than gossip. Although Eunji would not mind him as much if Baro and Sandeul was also around. They were both part time lecturers, and generally good company.

 

They were all friendly and nice, and after a few months they've stopped wondering and whispering among themselves about why Eunji never goes out to have lunch with her husband. It wasn't as if the polished, golden band around her left ring finger was that difficult to notice.

 

She never talks about her personal life. Her friends had assumed that she was either stuck in an unhappy marriage, or she was just a really private person.

 

In actuality it was a little bit of both.

 

They do know that whoever her husband is, that he works at a law firm just fifteen minutes away from the academy. They know this because some of the teachers there has seen her drive into the parking lot and getting off with a lunch box in hand every Wednesdays and Fridays after her classes.

 

Today was a Friday. And like every Friday, Eunji would not be having lunch at the staff room that day. Because every Wednesdays and Fridays her classes would end early before lunch, so that leaves her free to go home for the rest of the day.

 

But that also meant she would be free to bring lunch to her dearest husband, like any dutiful wife would be happy to do.

 

Eunji is not a happy wife. And according to her husband, she isn't that dutiful either.

 

She absolute despises Wednesdays and Fridays. They were worse than Mondays.

 

Well, actually Mondays for her are pretty good days, because Sunggyu usually works late on those days.

 

The 'bringing your husband lunch' thing was forced on her by her mother, when Eunji made the mistake of calling her on a Friday and asking if it would be alright for her to visit them at Busan for the weekend.

 

Her mother had briskly told her to visit during the holidays and that she should go tend to her husband, like a good wife should or he'll one day stop loving you! She had jokingly daughter.

 

Oh, if only she knew the truth.

 

There was never any love, but Eunji bit her tongue and hung up before the words escaped her. Her mother would be crushed if she knew, although she should have known in the first place. What had she expected when she arranged her twenty-one year old daughter to wed a complete stranger? They that would meet and instantly fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter