The Breakdown

Loveless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was a lot of garbled up words and incomprehible sentences, mostly due to Naeun's hysterical crying. But Sunggyu wasn't listening as much as he was trying to call Eunji with one hand while the other was steering the car. He was pretty sure he had broken every traffic law in the state but couldn't find it in him to care at the moment. Not a good attitude to have as a lawyer, but the situation was dire.

 

As much as he and his wife don't get along, he still has the responsibility to make sure she doesn't end up dead in a ditch somewhere. If something happened to her, he didn't think he could ever face his mother-in-law or the rest of her family again without wanting to bury his head in the ground and hide in there forever in shame. 

 

He redialed the phone, finger trembling over the numbers on the screen. 

 

Eunji still wasn't answering.

 

Sunggyu made a noise of frustration, and stepped on the gas pedal with a single minded purpose.

 

.

 

Eunji hasn't exactly given Naeun a proper address except for 'that bar' on 'that road' at 'that area'. So Naeun had used GPS to track down Eunji's phone. It was pretty smart of her, considering.

 

“Stop crying, Naeun. I'm sure she's fine.” Sunggyu grunted out, not caring if his words end up being true or not. They had arrived, and he wasted no time getting out of the car and storming into the bar. Naeun trailed after him uncertainly.

 

As it was still daytime out, the bar was mostly empty. The only patrons there were just having their lunch, and as far as Sunggyu could see none of them were drunk.

 

Well, except for that one table booth over there.

 

He saw Bomi first, the only one there he recognized besides his wife. There were also two other men, one unfamiliar and the other he had the vague memory of having met once before... he was Bomi's boyfriend, if he recalled correctly.

 

Eunji, much to his alarm, was slumped unconscious against the other strange man. Sunggyu didn't even try to understand the situation; he reacted.

 

As a lawyer, Kim Sunggyu vehemently believe in fighting with words, not fists. But in this case he felt that anything he said wouldn't be enough. He was so... so angry. So when he walked up to the table he grabbed a jug of water, and flung it's contents right on the man and Eunji. Two birds with one stone, as they say.

 

Eunji spluttered awake immediately, gasping and coughing. The man beside her was yelling angrily—but Sunggyu didn't even spare him a glance.

 

Bomi's boyfriend was trying to placate everyone while the girl herself and Naeun could only stare with mouths agape.

 

“What did you do to her?” Sunggyu forced out between gritted teeth.

 

“I didn't do anything!... who the hell are you anyway?”

 

“I'm her husband!” He narrowed his eyes in suspicion, “Who are you?”

 

“Minhyukie is my cousin!” Bomi whined, “What are you doing here, Gyu-oppa?”

 

Sunggyu's eye twitched at the nickname. “Eunji called me.”

 

Technically, she called Naeun. That crucial fact made him bitter. When she was scared and in danger, the first person she thought to call was her neighbour? That hurt far more than he cared to admit.

 

“I don't feel good.” Eunji annouced, her teeth chattering as water continued to drip from her face. Sunggyu took her chin in his hand and used his sleeve to wipe her face dry. She didn't resist in the slightest. Her eyes were glassy and unfocused; Sunggyu wasn't even sure if she knew who he was.

 

“I'm getting her home.”

 

He was not surprised when no one tried to argue with him.

 

Bomi said a quiet and sad 'bye' when

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter