The Friends

Loveless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She left his office without the satisfaction of having riled him up. 

 

“What did he do this time?”

 

It was commonplace for their neighbours to visit unannouced; Naeun was a graphic designer that worked at home, so Eunji has had a lot of time to get to know her. Unlike her husband though—Kim Myungsoo was a mysterious, faceless man that she often heard about but had never met. He wasn't exactly a recluse, since she knew the man was friends with her husband, but to her he was a complete stranger.

 

“Honestly, Naeunie, there isn't a time when he's not doing something that makes me mad. He's just so irritating... what made me think I could survive being married to him?”

 

“Then why didn't you become a runaway bride?” Naeun teased half-heartedly, “Everytime I asked why you would choose to stay in an unhappy marriage, you say it's because of your parents. You don't want to disappoint them. I get it, but I've never seen you as the type of person to sacrifice your own happiness just because of other people.”

 

Eunji frowned, “So what? You're saying I'm selfish?”

 

Naeun's eyes widened, “No! It's just... that was a poor choice of words. I'm sorry. I meant that you're a strong woman, eonnie. For your career you walked your own path and decided your own fate, so why didn't you do the same with your marriage?”

 

Eunji opened to answer, and then closed it after a moment's thought. She lowered her gaze and bit her lip, debating. Sitting opposite her, Naeun sipped her tea quietly. She would be patient; she knew that Eunji isn't one to be often at a loss for words... this wasn't easy for her. But then for most people, marriage never is.

 

“It's... more complicated than that. And something that I just can't share right now,” she said apologetically. Naeun smiled serenely, understanding and supportive as always.

 

“I know. You'll tell me when you're ready. In the meantime, what are you going to do about this?”

 

Eunji frowned, “What do you mean? Why do I have to do anything?”

 

“You're miserable, eonnie,” Naeun said gently. “You can't keep living like this... it's not good for health and your peace of mind.”

 

Eunji laughed, “Oh, my mind hasn't been in peace since I met him.”

 

Naeun contemplated, “And that's like what? Three years ago?”

 

Eunji smiled vaguely.

 

“Sure. Three years ago.”

 

.

 

“Hyung, why do you let her kick you around like that?” Sungyeol asked, when the whole gang was present and seated at the bar. It was a tradition of theirs to get together on the last day of the month, drinking and de-stressing.

 

And also, to gossip like teenage girls on what's the lastest happening in their lives. He was a frequent target due to his... less than stellar marital life.

 

“Duh, he lets everyone kick him around, don't you hyung?” Hoya smirked, swinging an arm around his shoulders. Sunggyu didn't say anything, just stared into his glass of soju, watching the the water in the glass ripple and swirl.

 

“Lay off of him,” Woohyun spoke up, sipping on some fruity cocktail, “He's already got a nasty wife to deal with at home!”

 

It was then Sunggyu reacted. His spine snapped straight, and he chided a little defensively, “Don't call her that.”

 

“What?” Woohyun started, eyeing him in disbelief.

 

Sunggyu rolled his eyes, “She's not worth it.”

 

Myungsoo, who had also stayed quiet since the conversation st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter