Eight

The boyfriend switch

 

Being with Baekhyun, Jongin realizes, makes him forget about many things in the world like the fact that his actual boyfriend is actually Taemin, and that the both of them aren’t actually dating despite their close proximity. Jongin feels the need to mind that Baekhyun makes him feel like they’re high school sweethearts, but whenever Baekhyun flashes him a smile, Jongin thinks it doesn’t really matter what he forgets; in fact, nothing else matters as long as Baekhyun’s right there next to him. 

 

And perhaps that’s slightly terrifying, but it feels just too nice to shrug off as simply as breathing. Jongin never wants to admit—but Baekhyun’s presence is comfortable. Not entirely full of witty remarks by Taemin whose brain is working all the time; Baekhyun likes to show his thoughts through subtle actions instead.

 

It must be nice for Kai to have Baekhyun as a boyfriend when he isn’t in the mood for a playful quarrel. In fact, Jongin hasn’t actually seen Baekhyun being playful for a long span of time in the five hours they’ve been together, and it makes him wonder if this is Baekhyun taking the opportunity to receive as much loyal love as he possibly can. Nonetheless, Jongin doesn’t mind. He’s willing to shower Baekhyun with as much love as possible, even if it means just a couple hours.

 

He’s not determined to prove that they were the ones who should’ve gotten together, but it would be nice if he could show, for this once, how much he realized he loves Baekhyun as someone more than a best friend; a hyung a long time ago.

 

He doesn’t know how, but somehow, he managed to come to his senses. Now he isn’t sure how to feel about loving two guys; especially since they’ve all grown up together from a young age. All that’s left to sort is his... feelings, for Taemin.

 

Truthfully, Jongin is confused by this perplexed issue of relationships that supposedly conjoins emotions in it. He wonders about the outcome of refusing to absentmindedly speak his mind—what he did earlier—just so he could compare it with reality. Yet, the human mind works differently, right? Sometimes it concludes our decision for us even before we’ve come to realize what we want; what we truly need.

 

“You okay, there?” Baekhyun asks, an arm slinging across Jongin’s shoulders. The latter hadn’t noticed Baekhyun returning from retrieving his free bingsu with a coupon, but it’s nice to be free from his thoughts once again. “You look like your brain’s buzzing endlessly.”

 

Jongin sends a smile at his way, genuine but toothless. “If you were still in college, you’d understand why I can’t stop thinking right now.”

 

“Ah,” Baekhyun keeps his arms back to his aides and chuckles. “College gave me good memories. Thank God I managed to maintain my three-point-eight GPA.”

 

“You must’ve given every intelligent schoolmate of yours cavities with all your smooth, sweet words,” Jongin chuckles, eyes flickering down to eye Baekhyun’s lips for a brief moment, carelessly, but Baekhyun makes the first move this time, leaning in closer to brush their lips gently.

 

It strikes Jongin abruptly, how close the proximity of their faces had been before that little peck. And when Baekhyun stays even closer than before, Jongin loses the will in him to resist and it’s only a second before he’s reeling Baekhyun back in, this time evolving the peck to an opened-mouth kiss almost eagerly.

 

“Babe,” Baekhyun chuckles against Jongin’s mouth, palms spread flat on the younger’s chest. “The bingsu isn’t gonna wait for us to eat it before it starts eating itself... Melting.”

 

“I,” Jongin heaves a manageable soft groan. “I hereby declare, that I'm going to kiss you every second that I can before I can’t do so any longer.”

 

“Do it after we eat the bingsu,” Baekhyun rolls his eyes. “Ah, I hope nobody has seen us. I’d be too embarrassed.”

 

“Embarrassed of me?” Jongin feigns hurt, clutching his chest melodramatically as he skillfully pulls a pained expression. “Ouch, baby. I’m sorry I—”

 

“I wouldn’t even be near you if I were embarrassed of you,” Baekhyun plants a big fat kiss on Jongin’s cheek, and then wiping on the spot even though it was a dry peck. Jongin smiles anyway because... well, free kisses from Baekhyun is welcomed any time. He absolutely cannot get enough of Baekhyun’s lips pressed onto any part of his skin.

 

“Feed me bingsu,” Jongin says after he eyes Baekhyun taking the first mouth out of the food he deserves. It looks kind of good. Jongin believes he deserves a mouth too but when Baekhyun offers him the extra spoon to feed himself, Jongin shakes his head and opens his mouth. “Feed me!”

 

“Aish,” Baekhyun kisses his teeth, but the spoon is being shoved into the ice and back up before it all goes into Jongin’s mouth. It sends him into a momentarily major brain freeze that makes him cringe incredibly hard; fingers curling into his palm. “It tastes good, doesn’t it?”

 

Jongin only manages a smile, an  icy one at that until Baekhyun takes his next mouth that the former male leans over hastily to press his frozen lips onto Baekhyun’s neck; inconsiderately leaving a patch of sticky residue in the shape of a pair of lips.

 

Baekhyun reacts with a shriek and a whiney cry maybe about five seconds after Jongin’s mission has been complete, and he carries on whining quietly, throatily as Jongin snickers at his facial expression thoroughly amused. "Jonginnie, wipe it off! It isn’t even cold anymore, just plain sticky!”

 

“It’s my invisible artwork,” Jongin muses. “On a piece of art.”

 

“Thanks... for the compliment, but I still want it off me,” Baekhyun huffs, folding his arms across his chest childishly and Jongin thinks he may have fallen a little more in love with Baekhyun, seeing how cute he’s behaving at the moment. He doesn’t think he’s seen Baekhyun behave this way since they were like, 7 years old.

 

Jongin seriously contemplates for a moment, whether it would be a good idea Baekhyun’s neck clean but they’re in public and Jongin would much rather do that on a clean neck with no one else around to judge. He resorts to grabbing a napkin off the tray and dampening it with the iced drink condensation, and then cleaning the spot smooth.

 

“Better?” Jongin can’t stop grinning and he won’t make himself stop. When Baekhyun stares at him for a while wordlessly, Jongin almost furrows his brows because it feels like he’s just done something wrong.

 

Yet, it lasts just long enough for him to see Baekhyun crack a grin; smile spreading prettily across his face, making him seem as delicate as the loveliest flower on earth. Jongin takes the time to watch in silence, how beautiful Baekhyun truly is that he’s never gotten the chance to gaze longingly up close, how he’s managed to miss that opportunity.

 

That is, until now.

 

“You know what I wanna do the most right now, with you?” Jongin asks breathlessly, after releasing the breath he didn’t know he’d been holding.

 

Baekhyun blinks, innocent and adorable. “What is it?”

 

“I want to hold you close and kiss you endlessly just to make up for the time lost, for the rest of the day,” Jongin hums thoughtfully, gaze finally lowering to see as his own fingers dance above Baekhyun’s, gradually entwining them together firmly and perfectly. “We only have this day.”

 

“Come home with me,” Baekhyun smiles gently, eyes curved not as much as when he does grin, but are still crescents nonetheless. Jongin remembers that as the second time Baekhyun’s said the same words and he doesn’t hold back the smile that surfaces.

 

“I will.”

 

 “You will?” Baekhyun’s tone sounds so mockingly that Jongin raises a brow, anticipating what might flow right out the older male’s mouth. “You will?

 

“So I see you’d rather I won’t,” Jongin narrows his eyes, rolling them when they’re in tiny slits. “Fine then. I won’t. Happy?”

 

“Nope,” and the grin Baekhyun flashes makes Jongin wonder if this was how stars resembled in the night sky, up close and incredibly near. “Oh, how I wish you were lying. But I know otherwise, since you’re aware of the fact that I don’t often invite people over.”

 

 

 

This is how their day out becomes slashed short. 

 

A quarter after 12 they had been strolling at the mall hand-in-hand but by half past 1, they were in bed cuddling in bed above the covers; limbs in a tangled absolute mess as they try to hold each other close and comfortably no matter the position or the angle.

 

In the past ten minutes of being in the world’s best position with the world’s best man, Baekhyun’s already nuzzled his nose against Jongin’s as a plea to get a kiss for over 5 times, and although it happens way too often for an average male’s liking, Jongin discovers that he really doesn’t mind because this is exactly why they’re here—to spend quality time together, glued up and actively kissing.

 

Jongin knows his body is aching to do something more than just kissing, but the ultimate rule is to simply only kiss, and he’s technically still attached to Taemin so long as neither has brought up the issue of splitting albeit Jongin foresees it happening in the next few days of this change up.

 

As Baekhyun hums a tune off the top of his head and carries on peppering little kisses on Jongin’s neck from time to time, he notices that Baekhyun hooks onto affection a lot; something that can be deduced as deprivation of proper caring from his actual boyfriend. It’s sad, because Baekhyun has a lot of love to give but his heart isn’t just full of love as it was before—hurt is the excess emotion in his heart.

 

 Baekhyun truly deserves someone who could dote on him more; makes wise sacrifices and who treats him the way he needs to be. Jongin knows for sure he’s capable of achieving that, but them being an item feels impossibly far a possibility at the moment.

 

Wordlessly, Baekhyun stretches his leg over the other side of Jongin’s waist and slides his body over the taller male with a soft huff such that he’s hovering over Jongin, before he rests his complete weight on top and pushes himself up to a sitting position while his arms go outstretched in a  Jongin has to try and ignore the fact that Baekhyun’s crack is aligned perfectly against the curve of his , and slanting even further as if it’s being done on purpose.

 

Holy .

 

Baekhyun on the other hand, completely contradicts the way Jongin must look and probably feel, and while Jongin’s on the verge of ripping his hair out of his scalp, Baekhyun looks utterly serene as he rolls his neck back with his fingers spread on his throat, over his improminent Adam's apple.

 

Jongin is getting hotter by the second, and sweat is beginning to bead his forehead like he’s just gotten warmed up before a jog. He tries hard to suppress inappropriate noises to avoid misunderstanding, but it’s hard. And it’s torturous, not only because Jongin a) can’t make noise but b) he’s currently trying to play off as a statue so he doesn’t move and do create friction.

 

“You’re doing this with much intent, aren’t you, hyung?” Jongin clenches his teeth, the best that he can do to contain a throaty moan as Baekhyun shifts himself from side to side and back to the center away from Jongin’s sensitive .

 

He sees the process of Baekhyun’s head shaking, but the corners of his lips are curved upwards and it’s the only answer Jogin needs, “Doing what? I’m simply sitting on you—I hope I’m not too heavy.”

 

“Hyung,” Jongin whines, palms moving up to feel Baekhyun’s firm hips in his hands. “Why! This is hell for me, please kindly remove yourself from me and then come back to hug me instead.”

 

“But I’m comfortable here,” Baekhyun whines. “How about I hug you from where I am?” Then Baekhyun falls forward with arms extended, and his face follows a second later flat next to Jongin’s with a priceless, unattractively still pretty attractive face which tickles Jongin to laugh.

 

“Why are you so obnoxious and adorable?” Jongin sighs.

 

“I want us to do something exciting— something that has a before it ceases and we can just embrace our mingling warmth,” Baekhyun pauses to draw a deep breath. “Something that I can file away in my head that could make me remember this day, you know? When it’s all gone and I get upset again, I’ll be alright if I recall this. Us. You.”

 

“I love you, you know?” Jongin blurts, a hand Baekhyun’s back comfortably and consistently the way Jongin knows he’s actually always liked it. “And I love Kai to death since he’s my brother, even if he could get pretty ing stupid as a person, a boyfriend. But I can tell he’s into Taemin, has always been, and since he doesn’t treat you right... I’m merely asking, not suggesting, but why won’t you break up?”

 

“Before this compromise happened, I’ve always been asking myself the same question. I didn’t know why I kept holding on, pushing my way through the hurt just to feel better about myself and the relationship that I cherished dearly. I’m positively certain that Kai was a reason—still is, but he’s not just a boyfriend, you know? He’s a close friend, very close one—just like you are, to me. Perhaps that’s why I didn’t wanna let go. It’s hard being tangled between different kinds relationships with him. But now that I’ve had the opportunity to experience having you as my boyfriend for the day, my cloudy mind has been cleared. I know things won’t go on normally after this and I won’t expect it to and nor would I attempt salvaging it. At most... I’ll travel abroad to study and become a happier, better person like in those movies.”

 

“You’re not going to leave me,” Jongin squeezes Baekhyun’s petite body once and tightly before letting go. “I feel the same way—nothing’s going to be the same again, but we’ll try to adapt to the difference before we realize it’s impossible.”

 

“I... won’t break up with Kai.”

 

“Neither would I with Taem.”

 

“If this break up happens, I want Kai to be the one to end it. My miserable happiness.”

 

“And I’d want Taemin to bring it up so I don’t hurt him.”

 

There’s a moment of silence, one that’s so quiet but full of brain-splitting thoughts for the both of them. Though, Baekhyun ultimately ends it. “Would I... still have you when it does happen?” 

 

Jongin shuts his eyes. “Yeah. You’ll have me... you always will.” But would I still have you?

 

 


A/N: WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO BAEKJONG, KAIBAEK AND TAEKAI T^T why am I torturing myself... am I torturing you guys? This is painful. And my painfully slow updates won't heal you too so I'll apologize for that again in advance T^TTT I didn't proof read this... as usual. I hate proof reading, I always do it when I have nothing to do but since I have a lot going on currently... h A I can only hope I didn't leave out words or misspell anything. Also, I hope you guys have been doing well~ I miss you guys!!!! And I miss writing about Kaibaek!!!! And I miss being creative with my writing style (; L ,L)