Seven

The boyfriend switch

 

It’s a peck. After a peck, after a peck. Taemin’s slightly annoyed (that’s a bad sign of being thoroughly affected by Kai’s neck kisses) but he won’t say he doesn’t actually enjoy it in the slightest bit. He does, just a little. Maybe.

 

No matter what Kai does, Taemin doesn’t cave in and keeps going hard at the blaring calculus questions—that is, until he feels Kai switching something up by sneakily slipping his hand beneath the hem of Taemin’s shirt. Again, he can’t say he doesn’t like it when he really does, deep down. There’s an evident difference between Jongin and Kai—Kai never takes ‘no’ as an answer and constantly enjoys reaching past limits for reactions.

 

Taemin admits he’s kind of, sort of, sometimes always adored this fact about Kai, even though it defines recklessness. Though taking some risks is always fun, right? Only if it’s done with consideration. Right?

 

“Taemin,” Kai presses his mouth, warm and moist against Taemin’s skin; his hot breath hovering over the entire patch as both of his arms go around to encircle the older male’s waist. “Are you seriously going to spend the first hour of our day together doing homework? It’s barely nine in the morning.”

 

“Sure,” Taemin chews on his lower lip. “Am I doing something else? Besides, this is how it feels to be my boyfriend.”

 

“It’s no wonder you and Jongin are together,” Kai mutters softly, practically inaudibly but Taemin isn’t deaf. Luckily he takes things, including words at appropriate times, with a pinch of salt. “You guys are exactly the same person.”

 

“It’s got nothing to do with this,” Taemin chuckles, hands resting just above Kai’s where it’s convenient for his fingers to entwine from the back of his palm. “We’re just prioritized, nothing else. It’s nice and neat and extremely handsome being prioritized in case you haven’t noticed.”

 

Kai lets out an opened mouth, loud laugh. “Oh, trust me,” he lets his lips linger over Taemin’s skin stationery, and it makes Taemin gulp for some reason. “I have. I definitely noticed.”

 

“Ew, gross,” Taemin coughs, body shuddering against Kai’s. “You checked your own biological brother out? That’s sure a new achievement.”

 

“Ew, gross,” Kai repeats, but it surprisingly isn’t a mocking statement—more or genuine disgust. “I meant I checked you out and that’s how I know! Ew. The way you phrased it—it’s like I checked my twin out—oh wait.”

 

“,” Taemin snorts, one hand untangling Kai’s entwined fingers. “Let’s do something. I’m almost done with my work. Should we go somewhere?”

 

“I’ve got plans for us if you don’t actually mind,” Kai’s tentativeness leads his statement to end with a questioning tone that leaves Taemin curious and, in a way, touched. “I... well, have two art exhibition tickets and tonight's the last day. I'm wondering if you’d like to go with me?”

 

This is all new to Taemin. This side of Kai—a slightly sheepish, shy Kai who forgets his way around words when he focuses on doing something and doing it well—Taemin has only ever seen it once, with a crush he had on a lady teacher when they were younger than 14 years old.

 

It wasn’t even something worth being nervous about, it was just confessing his love. Yet Taemin found him adorable and endearing because a shy Kai is their little Kai.

 

“Come on,” Taemin pulls up a more than willing Kai from draping further over the chair. “We’re going somewhere private... and so much fun.”

 

“Which would be?” 

 

“The isolated arcade.”

 

“Doesn’t that mean there won’t be electricity running? Taemin, I thought you were smarter than this, what’s burnt your brain?” The fact that Kai’s genuinely curious makes everything loads more entertaining to Taemin. He mindlessly runs his fingers through Kai’s hair and kisses his teeth.

 

“Just because I used the term ‘isolated’ doesn’t necessarily mean electricity isn’t running in the gaming consoles. I’m just saying... no one goes there, they’re too preoccupied with the pool rides to step inside—and I’m cool friends with the boss, so. It could just be the both of us gaming our asses off.”

 

“Seriously?” Kai attempts to hide his previously gawking mouth by scratching the corner of his lips, but Taemin knows better from the fact that his eyes are glistening from the eagerness of getting there.

 

When Kai’s eyes sparkle, Kai naturally gawks. They’re like a facial concurrence.

 

“Are you... by any chance wearing your striped pants out?” Kai blurts. Taemin has to hold back from cursing because okay, it’s his fault that he had completely forgotten to change out of his pajamas before Kai got here and to have that pointed out almost makes him cringe internally. “That look on your face—I’ll take my leave now.”

 

“Oh, Kai.”

 

How does one manage to resist Kai when he isn’t trying to be a smartass, or an egotistical absolute jerk; instead shoving everything away to show his sincerity and genuine behavior— the little shy Kai they once knew who surfaced maybe only once in a couple years because he’s apparently grown accustomed to the man he currently is. Not the most likable, of course. 

 

Kai chuckles and rises from the bed, not forgetting to press a kiss on Taemin’s temple before he does head for the door, disappearing then as he turns towards the direction of the stairway.

 

There’s no way of resisting Kai. 

 

And Taemin is completely done for.

 

 


 

A/N: HI GUYS! ^o^ it's Chinese New Year here so Happy (1 day belated) Chinese New Year to all of you, especially the ones who are celebrating it too! ♡ I haven't actually touched this story since the last time I updated because I truly had no time so I'm sorry I'm updating this after almost a month, and it isn't even a long chapter. But I should probably let you guys know beforehand that, tbh since I'm mainly focusing on Jongin x Baekhyun, that means chapters of the both of them would be way longer than Kai x Taemin. However, that doesn't mean I'll leave out important content and messages, it just means that Taekai chapters would be shorter but packed with essential content! So I'll have more time to wrap this up and do so earlier haha.

And also, to those of you who leave comments after each chapter... You're great. And so, so adorable. Your comments keep me motivated to write and make me smile so ridiculously wide, thank you for letting me know your thoughts!!! I appreciate it so much ^^ lastly, if you're reading this... you're absolutely wonderful. Thank you for taking time aside to read this :D

x