One

The boyfriend switch

 

“Hey, bro,” Kai says one fine day, making Jongin mildly surprised because what good could ever come from his twin? Nothing, that’s what. “So I was just wondering...”

 

“No, I’m not doing your homework or washing your clothes for you. I’m not letting my brother fail in life, you’re gonna have to do them your—”

 

“No, that’s not it,” Kai says hastily, and then he deflates when Jongin’s positive his words started sinking into his brother’s head. He almost snickers, but patiently waits for him to continue speaking as he rests the pen in his hand on the table. “I meant to ask... if we could trade boyfriends for like, a day.”

 

“ you.”

 

Trading boyfriends? no.

 

Jongin isn’t letting Taemin anywhere near Kai, he’d rather witness the sun explode and strike the earth like mini meteorites, feel the world crumble beneath his feet, be crumbled along and die than agreeing to his stupid idea. Kai and his nonsensical, contorted ideas: exactly what he’s known for best, apart from his impressive rapping skills.

 

Jongin dives back into his little art doodles just as Kai heaves a melodramatic sigh, slinging an arm unnecessarily and annoyingly over Jongin’s shoulders as he pulls his swivel chair closer and plops down on it. “Come on, I’m begging. You know I’d jump at any boy I find hot who’s attached but right now I’m asking you for permission because you’re my brother and I respect you—”

 

“If you so much as respect me, you wouldn’t even come here and ask me something ed up like this,” Jongin seethes, shrugging Kai’s arm off him. “If you respect me, you wouldn’t be thinking about my boyfriend when you have your own.”

 

“Taemin’s someone I’ve never tried before,” Kai sighs again, fingers coming together to fiddle with each other as he brings one up to rake them through his hair. His piercings expose easily from the simple action and Jongin, in that quick moment, is overwhelmed by the always surprising fact that they’re two completely different and contrasting people who look exactly the same, real and reflection. “And Baekhyun’s the best I’ve ever had and I love him, but lately... I don’t know, I’ve been thinking about Taemin. Baekhyun and I... we’re not all about the same person all the time, you know. We commit, but—”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Jongin waves dismissively, effortlessly kicking Kai’s chair further away and back to its original place before. “The both of you are okay with sleeping with someone that’s not you every once in a while but have you ever considered this?”

 

Kai blinks. “What?”

 

“Taemin and I aren’t like this,” Jongin literally yells without holding back, allowing his fume to simmer as he groans and grits his teeth hard.

 

Okay that said... not entirely true, Jongin may love Taemin a lot but he’s also known for his player ways—the only reason why he’s clinging onto Taemin’s because once he loses their relationship, their friendship may undoubtedly follow as well and they’ve been friends forever. With Kai and Baekhyun, in fact. He doesn’t know if he’s able to manage the sorrow of losing a best friend through something that’s completely avoidable and useless, especially selfish.

 

“Taemin’s been flirting with a couple girls these days you know,” Kai says mindlessly, reminding Jongin about what he already knows of course. “Doesn’t that bother you?”

 

“He’s bi,” Jongin monotonously responds, unfazed by what probably was supposed to be a dagger to his heart. “And, it isn’t like I haven’t been flirting with other guys, anyway. We just don’t screw with other people, Kai. We’re not at your level, or Baek’s level, get it? Please. I hope you do. Get it the into your ed up brain, brother.”

 

“You guys just aren’t the worst version which is ours,” Kai chuckles lightheartedly. “Baekhyun agreed to this because it’s harmless. Plus, I know you find him cute and don’t even try lying. You always go for the cute ones but Taem’s the shocking exception, you know.”

 

“I know. And yes, Baek is cute. Very cute, too cute for my liking.”

 

“He’s the best in bed.”

 

Taemin’s a little awkward in bed what with the absence of arousal moans because ‘he’d rather listen to Jongin’s’ but in Jongin’s opinion, he’s still the best either way. Not that Kai needs or has the right to know that, anyway. He may be a brother who could know everything, but this... he definitely doesn’t need to know.

 

“So,” Jongin says. “Are you done yet? My art deadline is in two days and I still gotta brush up on the intricate details so please leave because I need music, not your voice.”

 

“Your voice and mine make no difference, bro,” Kai laughs amusedly, patting Jongin on the back once. “But good try, I’m not leaving until you agree to my shameless and desperate request.”

 

“Kay, then I’m just gonna block you out,” Jongin reaches for his set of headphones fitted between his CD holders on the very end of his desk, but they are instantly snatched away when Kai’s hand reaches it before him. “God. If Taemin says yes then I’ll agree, okay? So he won’t think I’m getting bored of him or something.“

 

“Aren’t you, though?” Kai slants his head slightly, genuinely curious looking as he gazed at Jongin with question marks popping up on his face. “Yep, yeah. Yes, you totally are. I can see it in your eyes.”

 

“Not that much yet, but we’re still going strong okay?” That much isn’t a lie.

 

Taemin isn’t innocent, but he’s nice. And with nice easily comes the motivation to keep a relationship going because he’s considerate but knowing as well. He knows Jongin’s wants and needs sometimes even before he knows so himself and although they’re both flirtatious by nature, Taemin’s always treated Jongin better than anyone else—not only when Jongin’s around and he’s aware, because there have been coincidental times where he went to fetch Taemin home and caught that fact play out a few times.

 

And it’s pretty obvious other times, even though Jongin never verbally lets this be known or mentioned to anyone other than himself, the attraction that pools in Taemin's eyes whenever Kai’s around them. Sure, Taemin’s focus is still on Jongin but surely it’s also not that hard noticing the couple of glances he sneaks at Kai when he thinks Jongin isn’t looking? Not that Jongin minds really. He should be rightfully offended and mad but he doesn’t really because...

 

Then again, when it comes down to this point, Jongin always wonders if their relationship has always been this way. Wanting each other but also being attracted to other familiar people. Nice words make their relationship look flawless and perfect but in reality, Jongin puts as much effort into them as Taemin. When Taemin’s staring at Kai, honestly, Jongin’s probably staring at Baekhyun and it’s kind of like... a secret win-win situation. Jongin though, actually tries to hide the fact that he looks at Baekhyun and does it inconspicuously—unlike Taemin who does it ever so blatantly.

 

Basically hypothetically saying, Taemin probably thinks about Kai as much as vice versa. Jongin doesn’t think much about Baekhyun or anything else other than school for the most part but Baekhyun wanders into his head at times. He doesn’t know if Baekhyun does it, too, but he doesn’t really care either if he has to be honest.

 

He thinks that, if it ever comes to the day where Kai and Taemin hooks up even if for just a night or an hour, and Jongin hooks up with Baekhyun... despite the love both brothers hold for their respective partners, they’re going to end up breaking up and going for their individual boyfriends. It’s something strange as to think about. Jongin’s almost indirectly initiating a break up for both couples.

 

He jerks at that realization and opens his mouth to change his mind about it, but what he sees next is Kai skipping out of Jongin’s room and screaming ‘Thanks bro!’ which again, makes Jongin wonder...

 

Would this really harm this relationship with Taemin? But as long as there are no strings attached, right? Plus, this is nothing but a one time thing. It’s not like Jongin’s instincts come true all the time anyway, it never really does. And as much as he feels a little wrong about this entire thing, he can’t help the surging feeling of things being okay if it really does turn out as expected eventually and he wants to push it away but why can’t he?

 

“Go all out, brother. Do it. Make Baekhyun yours for a day so I can do the same with Taemin in return. I’ll be waiting for you to convey Taemin’s response, love you!”

 

Stuck in between and torn as is Kim Jongin, unlike his brother, Kim Kai.