c h a p t e r t h r e e

It's Complicated, but I Prefer This
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Sunbae," Seulgi whispered to Jaebum. "What happened with Irene and Jinyoung in the past?" She asked curiously. The two were currently sitting together in the cafeteria, watching Irene and Jinyoung exchanged glares for the past five minutes. None of them speak, but everyone who see them will know they're having a silent fight.

"Well, it's before you get in to this university. We, as the 2012 classmates, were always together--Jinyoung, Irene, Mark, and me. Jinyoung and Irene suddenly caught up in this romantic relationship and both of them were lovey dovey back then. I don't know if Irene was originally a player back then, but she suddenly flirted with other guys in the campus. Jinyoung was very angry and upset at her because she was his first real love. And you know they ended up being like this." Jaebum explained.

"Oh..." Seulgi slightly replied.

"By the way," Jaebum turned his head towards Seulgi. "I met your mom yesterday. She invited me to your house tonight to have dinner because she said I'm too skinny. How can I decline to that!" Jaebum told Seulgi with a grin plastered on his face.

"WHAT?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's been a month since Jaebum encountered Mrs. Kang for the first time--and both of them have gotten close.

That night when Mrs. Kang found Seulgi and Jaebum standing in her apartment's gate, she couldn't help herself but to questioning Seulgi all night long. Mrs. Kang is the coolest mother according to Wendy, and yes, she's happy that Seulgi finally found another 'man' after three years.

"So, Ms. Kang, who was that guy you were talking with?" Mrs. Kang started.

"Oh mom, you know his name is Jaebum." Seulgi replied while rolling her eyes.

"I know that. But who is he to you?"

"A sunbae?"

"Oh! A sunbae!" Mrs. Kang clapped her hands twice. "Does this means you'll get someone older anytime soon?"

"Mom!" Seulgi's eyes widened. "It's not like that! Jaebum sunbae and I are just project partners! We're not even dating."

"Yet." Mrs. Kang said as she winked to her precious daughter, leaving Seulgi dumb founded with her mom's 'cool' action.

She's not even bothered by it. Seulgi thought.

It seems like a destiny because Mrs. Kang and Jaebum often (coincedently) met around the neighborhood. Whether in a convient store, a grocery shop, or even at the recycling center. They've talked quite a lot and because Jaebum is such a polite person, Mrs. Kang couldn't help but hoping Seulgi will somehow date the guy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Hello? What is it, honey?" Mrs. Kang finally picked up her phone after Seulgi called her four times.

"Mom! Why didn't you pick up my phone?" Seulgi asked.

"Sorry I was at the meeting." Mrs. Kang explained. "What's up?" Ugh, mom's trying to be cool. Again.

"Did you invited Jaebum sunbae to have dinner with us tonight?"

"Oh that." Mrs. Kang hesitated at first. "Well, I want to feed him since he looked so skinny yesterday."

"But mom! He's not even my boyfriend! Don't you think it's too weird?"

"I know he's not your boyfriend. And honey, I invited him not because he's your friend or sunbae or whoever he is to you. I invited him because he's our neighbor." Lied. 

"Anyway," Mrs. Kang started again after five seconds of silence. "We have beef and borth in the freezer. You cook your delicious yukgaejang. Yum! I'm going to eat yukgaejang tonight!" Mrs. Kang said happily.

"But mom-"

"No but! He's our neighbor, not your friend. Bye honey!" Mrs. Kang said as she hung up the phone. Seulgi could only sigh, thinking how ridiculous her mom is. Seulgi was about to walk down to the library until she heard familiar voices.

"Jinyoung, wait!" Oh! It's Irene! Seulgi quickly hid behind the nearest pillar.

"What is it now, Irene?!" Jinyoung coldly said to her.

"Are you still mad at me because of what happened that day?" Irene asked but Jinyoung didn't say a thing. "Oh come on! It happened two years ago! Get over it!"

"You will feel the same way as I was two

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter