Chapter 5: I Will Wait For You

And Then There Were Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun’s POV

When I got back from Switzerland, the flow of events didn’t go smoothly as I expected. I was looking forward to seeing Ryeowook and have the much awaited talk with him as soon as I landed, but there was a delay in the flight which made us arrive in Korea at around 3 in the morning. Considering that Wookie must be tired from Sukira and theater practice, I decided to get as much sleep as I can and just pay him a visit at the upper dorm first thing when I wake up. However, come breakfast time, it dawned on me that Ryeowook didn’t move back to the dorm while I was away. It felt like his room was starting to die, setting a gloomy atmosphere without Ryeowook’s presence to lighten it up.

A week has passed without seeing Ryeowook and I was barely making it through each day. I think this is the longest time I haven’t seen him—my accident is an exception, of course. I kept calling him whenever I have free time, which is rare these days given my tight schedule, but we end up talking for only a few minutes. It wasn’t even enough to ask him how his day was going so far. As much as I would like to hate our current situation, I can’t bring myself to since I very well know that we share the same dream and passion in being casted in plays.

It was the day before Chuseok and I’ve had it. Just hearing Ryeowook’s voice through the radio and our quick conversations were not going to cut it for me anymore. I need to see him. I will see him tonight, I repeated to myself as I tried to focus on my musical practice.

Thankfully the director decided to end rehearsals early to let actors and staff have adequate time to prepare for Chuseok festivities. One of my co-actors started to invite everyone to have dinner and being my usual sneaky self, I quietly slipped out of the room as I called the person I want to see the most.

He didn’t pick up from my first try of ringing him and it made me more impatient. I wasn’t going to take no for an answer. I always picked up the phone when he called even if sometimes I know he’s just calling because I got featured on Super Idol Chart Show again.

Ryeowook did not fail me when he finally answered at my fourth try to reach his phone.

“Ryeonggu~ Where are you right now?” I realized that I sounded needy and a little excited when I called him by the nickname I made for him.

“Kyukyu~” He used the same tone to call out my nickname, instantly making me smile. “I’m at Sukira right now. I’m about to go back on air after the song and advertisements end. 

“Do you have guests on the show tonight?”

“Yes, I do. Why? What’s the matter?”

“I was hoping to….” Why am I suddenly feeling shy?

A long pause filled the air.

“Hello?” Ryeowook called my attention. “Kyu, are you still there?”

“Y-y..yes! I’m still here.” Damn it, Kyu. Just say it.

“You were hoping to what? Faster, Kyu. I don’t have that much time left.”

“I was hoping if I could see you after the show?” I was able to swallow the lump on my throat and told him what I wanted to say. “I initially wanted to visit you in the show but you have guests so I’ll just wait for you to end.”

I heard Ryeowook chuckle from the other end of the line.

“What’s so funny?” I asked, confused.

“You’re not the type who usually gets nervous, Kyukyu. I’m just amused to hear you like this.” He then resorted to giggling.

“I’m glad you find my torture amusing.” I sarcastically responded.

Hearing his laugh just makes me more eager to see the beautiful smile plastered on his face.

“I’m sorry, Kyukyu, but I have to go now. I have 30 seconds left. I’ll see you later!” There was no doubt that he was just excited as I am.

“I’ll see you later too, Ryeonggu. You have no idea how much I’ve missed you.” My tone can’t hide the grin on my face.

“I’ve missed you too, Kyukyu.” His voice was barely audible, possibly keeping it low so that the guests wouldn’t hear him. “Bye!”

I hurriedly hit the showers thinking that I should look my best tonight.

 

Ryeowook’s POV

There were still two hours left before the show ends when a staff entered the room during the short break and handed me a cup of coffee with a note on it. I gave her a peculiar look but she just pointed at the small sticky note attached to the cup. Before I can ask other questions, she rushed out of the room and went back to her usual seat at the other side of the studio. I carefully unfolded the paper and read the message.

Kyuhyun-ssi is here and he bought this for you. He said he’ll wait for you so we let him stay in one of the dressing rooms.

My heart felt warm at Kyuhyun’s small but thoughtful gesture. The aroma of the coffee filled the room, making all of my worries of having the talk with him dissolve. I admit that I’ve been trying to avoid him the past few days since I was still scared of not being sure with what kind of relationship I want to have with him. Ever since he came back, he’s been brazen with his feelings towards me. I felt ashamed and guilty that I wasn’t reciprocating the confidence he’s been showing.

I do like him, I really do. It’s been killing me in the inside that I haven’t seen him since the day we both established that our feelings for each other is more than friendship. Unfortunately, there are days when my mind overpowers my heart and it results to doubts and worries getting in the way. It made me question things I thought I was already sure of. Now here I am, my heart and mind at war. One tells me to go and just be with him already, but the other wants me to think rationally first and weigh the factors that might get involved in this situation.

The vibration from my phone thankfully stopped my train of thought. I don’t want to appear unfocused and fidgety in front of the guests so I took out my phone and hid it under the table. As expected, it was a message from Kyuhyun.

KH: Don’t I at least deserve a thank you? You should have received the coffee minutes ago.

RW: You’re impatient as ever ㅋㅋㅋ Thank you, Kyukyu! Why are you here so early? Please take a rest first^^

KH: You just answered your own question. I am an impatient man, Ryeonggu. Can’t you end broadcast earlier? Of course you can’t. That was a stupid question.

RW: If I can, I would have ended it now. Just wait a little more. Thanks again for the coffee^^

KH: You’re welcome! Please talk a lot about me in Sukiraㅋㅋㅋ

RW: I always do^^ I need to hide my phone now, Kyu. I’m serious about resting. Please take a nap if you can.

I placed back my phone inside my pocket, but I felt it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter