Chapter 4: More Than Friends

And Then There Were Two
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ryeowook’s POV

“What are you doing here, Kyu?” I rushed to open our house gate for him, not sure what to make out of this.

Without warning, he pulled me towards his chest and enveloped me in a tight hug. The tightness of his arms around my frail body told me that he had no intentions of letting me go just yet. All the sadness and anger I had inside me vanished within a split second with that comforting thought.

“Kyu-“ I was about to invite him inside the house, feeling his cold skin against mine.

“Shh...please hear me out, Ryeowook. I’m really really sorry.” His arms grew tighter at his apology.

My heart was thumping fast, tears started to roll down my cheek as I felt happiness wash over me. This calm feeling was so alien to me that I had to wrap my arms around him just to make sure that this is all true. Kyuhyun is really here and he drove all the way to Incheon just to see me.

The moment I hugged him back, I felt his body relax. I rested my head on his shoulder, the tension in them starting to die down.

“As much as I want to stay like this, I can’t risk you catching a cold.” I giggled as we released ourselves from each other’s arms. “Let’s go inside.”

“Are you sure it’s okay if I come in? You won’t murder me, right?” Kyuhyun jokingly replied.

“Don’t be silly, Kyu.” I nudged his arm. “I plan to make you suffer first, of course.”

He placed his arms around my shoulder as we headed inside the house and to my room.

“Then I willingly accept. What I did to you was unforgiveable. I’m surprised that you aren’t throwing things at me right now.” He stood awkwardly in the middle of my bedroom, not sure where to place himself.

“I was kidding! What are you doing standing there like that, Kyukyu? Come sit on the bed.” I took a seat on my bed and patted the space in front of me, motioning for him to sit there.

“You don’t hate me?” He took a seat in front of me, finally seeing my face in detail.

“I can’t hate you, Kyukyu. I should be the one saying sorry. It was wrong of me to pressure you like that.” I placed my hand on top of his.

He must have noticed the state of eyes since his face looked troubled.

“You must be in a lot of pain.” He extended his arm and brushed his thumb gently against my eyes, traces of concern heard in his voice.

“I’m fine, Kyu. Really.” I flash him a sincere smile as I removed his hand from my face. To assure him that I was not hurt at all, I intertwined our fingers and gave it a light squeeze.

“I’m really sorry, Ryeowook. I don’t know why I reacted that way. When I told you to leave me for the night, I didn’t even mean it but you took it to another level and actually left the dorm.” I handed a pillow to him and he lied down in front of me, his body perpendicular to mine. He made sure that our hands were still together.

“Kyu, please stop apologizing already. I’m also at fault in this so let’s just call a truce, okay?” I shook our hands, not even waiting for his reply. “No more saying sorry after this.”

He finally let out a light laugh, making my lips curve into a smile. No doubt, Kyuhyun is the only one who has this effect on me.

“But, Ryeonggu, is it true that you’ll move out of the dorm?” Kyuhyun’s smile faded.

I guess there’s no running away with having this serious talk with Kyu. At the end of the day, we would need to clear things up somehow and I honestly don’t know what to say to him. I wasn’t sure of anything right now, especially what I want us to be.

“Yes, Kyukyu. I’m serious about that.” I pulled my hand away from him and bent my head down, losing confidence in this conversation.

“Is it because of me?” He tipped my chin up.

“Partly.” I heaved a sigh as I felt our talk leading to a sensitive direction. “Are you sure you want to have this talk, Kyu? I might say some things that might freak you out.”

I expected him to appear uneasy but he just smiled, reassuring me that everything is going to be fine.

“I promise you that no such thing will happen again, Ryeonggu. Believe me.” With those words, I felt free. “So why do you want to move out? Don’t hold back. Just tell me everything in honesty.”

He gave my hand a squeeze and I returned the gesture, letting him know that I do trust him.

“Lately, I’ve started seeing you in a different way, Kyu.” Why do I feel like a grade school student confessing to his crush? I couldn’t bear to see his reaction so I covered my face with my hands.

There was no sound or movement coming from Kyuhyun which made me decide to take a peek. Is he too stunned to talk? Negative thoughts were starting to cloud my head, but when I finally saw him grinning like an idiot I started to drop my hands.

“You don’t find it weird?” I asked.

“Not at all.” The smile can’t be wiped off his face. Wait, is he actually happy about this? “Go on, Ryeonggu. I’m listening.”

I hesitated for a bit but decided that I should just get this over and done with.

“Well, I’m not really sure what I feel towards you as well but I do know that it’s more than just friendship that’s why I perfectly understand your confused reaction last night.” I felt saying these words in front of him.

“I was not disgusted with you, just to clear it up. You totally misunderstood me.” He explained.

“I know, I know. I was overwhelmed that I kind of exaggerated.”

“I just needed to sort that out. Go on, then”

“I don’t think living with only you in the dorm will help my situation. The potential feelings I have for you, I’m scared that it might develop into something more. I mean, really, it’s not possible for us to be in a relationship, right? Two members from one group just can’t.” I sought for his agreement.

“Why not?” Kyuhyun shrugged his shoulders.

I almost fell out of bed upon hearing his response.

“Are you insane? The consequences are grave. Don’t you realize that?” I was still surprised that he was considerin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter