Chapter 5

Almost Heaven

Once I have settled down in my room, P' Push left to tend to his emergency call. This left me to ponder what was Yuri doing here.

 

From what I noticed  just now, she is wearing a baby blue nurse uniform. There was a good chance that she is actually working here. She went out at 17th floor just now.

 

Yuri probably did not noticed me just now because I was at the back of the elevator, hidden behind P' Push tall figure. Moreover, with P' Push there, people tends to overlook my presence. 

 

The nurse fussed around to help me settle down. Thirty minutes later, I inquired from one of them, reading her nametag,“Excuse Miss Prasatna, may I know what is the 17th floor for? What department is it?”

 

Miss Prasatna smiled sweetly and answered my question politely, “17th floor is our Bumrungrad Children's Center, Mr Pete. Pediatric ward to be precise. Do you know anyone there?”

 

Pete scratched his head, and tried to casually asked, “Anyone named Yuri works there? She's Thai-Japanese, quite a petite lady, has a warm and bright personality.”

 

Miss Prana looked at me suspiciously, hesitated to answer my query. I smiled warmly and explained, “She used to go to the convent next to my school. It has been years since I last seen her and I might be mistaken her with someone else.”

 

Miss Prasatna seemed to be satisfied with my clarification and even offered to pass the message for Yuri to drop me a visit by the end of her shift.

 

Two hours later, someone knocked on my door and pushed open the door slowly. A young lady peeked inside the room before heading inside. She greeted politely with wai, and introduced herself, “Good evening, sir. I'm Yuri, I heard that you are looking for me?”

 

Pete sat up straight and leaned his back against the bed headboard. Pete started, “Hello, Yuri. It was nice to see you again.”

 

It was funny to see Yuri's expression changed from anxious to surprised and recognition. She looked so mature and dependable in her nurse outfit. Being a nurse really suits her.

 

She let out a happy shrieked and basically skipped over to take a better look at me. I know that I looked like . The flight yesterday really took a toll on my body.

 

Then, she looked worriedly at my condition and before reaching over to hold my hands with trembling lips. She inquired anxiously, “How are you doing, Pete? Are you sick? Is it really serious?”

 

Pete smiled gently, gestured for Yuri to sit at the nearby sofa. He replied, “I'm not terminally ill. Don't be deceived by my appearance.”

 

I reassured her, “ I looked worst than I should be, because of my fatigue. This is how someone looked like after arriving in Bangkok after 20 hours flight, last night. It's normal to look like this.”

 

Yuri let out a relieved sigh at my explanation, but still curious “What are you doing here then?”

 

Pete clarified,“I'm here to get a full body check-up only.”

 

Changing the topic, Pete asked,“How's life? Are you married now?”

 

Yuri sheepishly answered, “I got engaged early this year. We are going to have our wedding by December later. Promise me that you would not miss it.”

 

Congratulation, Yuri! I'm happy for you. Is your fiancé treating you well? I bet he is, because I can see that you are literally glowing.”

 

She thanked me, “Thanks, Pete. Do update me with your life. Why do you went missing suddenly? I want to know more about you.”

 

Pete replied solemnly, “I'm sorry about that. I can't stand to stay here after what happened to my parents.” He continued, “Nothing much to say about me. I left for New York five year ago after my parent's demise. Was adopted by my uncle's family and been living with them ever since. I went to Cornell College of Architecture , Art, and Planning. Now in my final year, but currently took a year off.”

 

Yuri inquired, “I'm sorry to hear about your parents. I heard about from Noh after the incidents. We tried to reach you but you suddenly disappeared."

Realising that the topic is making me down, Yuri changed the topic, "New York must be treating you well. It's great to hear that you are building your life there.” She continued, “Are you planning to settle there? Or are you back for good?”

 

Pete responded, “I'm not sure how long I'll be here. Depending on the situation.”

 

Pete asked the questioned that he longed to know, “How's everyone? Do you still keep in touch with them?”

 

Yuri smiled beaming, “Noh and Phun are still going strong like before. They actually lived together now. Noh is still active with his bands and has become a famous music producer. Phun is learning his family business. Meanwhile, Earn...” She trailed off while looking at me hesitantly. She knew that I have a crush on Earn before.

 

Pete gave her a reassuring smile and probed further, “Yes, what happened to Earn? Is he doing well?”

 

Yuri looked reassured with my prodding and continued, “He's a renowned entertainer now. All round actually, he sings, acts, and sometimes hosts TV program. You just need to switch-on TV to see him.”

 

Pete has a faraway-look in his eyes when he heard that. He always knew that Earn will turn out to be someone great. He has persona and great leadership skills with people.

Pete missed all these news because he purposely tried to avoid all topics that will remind him of home when he was in New York. He tried to avoid thinking about someone back home that might missed him. Earn...

 

Yuri cleared and successfully catch my attention, “By the way Pete, we are having a joint school reunion next month. Friday college and Marian convent. You should come...I bet everyone will be surprised and happy to see you there. It will be fun to catch up with everyone else.”

 

Pete seemed hesitated and answered politely,“Let me think about it first. I will let you know later. May I have your number so that we can keep in touch? We should have coffee together next time. My treat.”