Chapter 12

Almost Heaven

Pete noticed that Earn is barely eating his dinner. The man kept his joyous appearance while sipping his champagne. He is pretending to be unaffected with Pete's presence.

 

Mook excused herself to refresh herself in the washroom before they been served the final course.

 

Pete turned to Earn's direction and noticed that he is not at his seating anymore. He managed to catch a glimpse of Earn's back at the door leaving the hall.

 

Pete found the golden opportunity that he is looking for.

 

He whispered to Yuri, “I'm sorry, Yuri. This my only chance to talk with Earn in private.”

 

He asked for a favour from Yuri, “Please look after Mook for me. I gave my words to her brother that I will look after her. Call me if anything goes wrong.”

 

He continued with his eyes lingering over the Earn's direction, “I will explain things to you later...”

 

Forthwith, Yuri leaned towards Pete's ear and tried to whisper over the loud music playing in the background: “Don't worry, I will look after Ms. Mook. Just text me when you are done.”

 

Yuri urged Pete,“You better go now, I think he's leaving the party.”

 

Yuri took a few dithering steps towards the washroom trying to go after Junior, before looking back at Pete. “Take your time and try to sort things out with him. All the best, Pete.”

 

Yuri waited for Junior in front of the ladies washroom and tried to divert Junior's attention by introducing the friendly girl to her circle of friends. She tried to bid time as long as possible for Pete.

 

Some time later, a series of rapid steps is seen trailing after Earn. He did not seem to realise someone is chasing after him.

 

In the lobby, Pete bumped into a toddler who tried to run from his mother. The collision made the small boy fell on his knees and scratches his palms. He tried to console the crying boy while steadying him. He apologize profusely to the mother over his mishaps and the mother took over to handle the situation.

 

Pete missed Earn during the commotion and he walked around to search for his target. He asked the hotel staff and found out that his target is heading towards the outside swimming pool.

 

After Pete took a turn, he took a misstep and found the handsome young man leaning against a palm tree while star-gazing. He can see the man shoulder slouched, with his left hand in the pocket and right hand holding a cigarette. He puffed smokes into the night air and seems to enjoy the night scenery by himself.

 

It was Earn.

 

Pete lit up at the sudden sight of him. The celebrity seems to shine even though under the night sky.

 

Pete approached Earn with careful steps and cleared his throat to get Earn's attention. Earn's face turned sideway and looked at Pete with recognition and later kept his face expressionless.

 

Pete immediately stopped on his track when he noticed that his presence is not welcomed. He gathered himself, and he initiated the conversation. He smiled nervously and jest playfully to ease the awkward situation. “Are you trying to sneak out unnoticed, Mr. Superstar? Everyone will be looking after you soon. You made Friday college proud by being it's alumni.”

 

Under the moonlight, Earn's eyes were as bright as the stars. He took his left hand from the pocket to dust off the ash on his coat and quietly regarded Pete, giving a low chuckle: “Have you specially come to see me?”

 

Pete honestly answered, “Yes. I think I have to make an appointment just to have a small talk with you.”

 

Earn only gazed uninterestedly using the corner of his eyes towards Pete's direction, and kept his posture. He did not make any effort to move from his current position.

 

He sneered,“For what reason that I have the honor to have your audience, Mr. Pete? Where is your lady friend?”

 

Pete realised the malice in Earn's words and becomes weary, his eyes dark and gloomy under the starlight. “I'm sorry and I know that I owe you an explanation. But you don't have to treat me like I'm a stranger...”

 

Earn only looked at Pete's way with his taunting gaze and shown him mild interest. “Do enlighten me, Mr. Pete, what kind of a relationship that we have?”

 

Pete was dumbfounded and left speechless with the sarcastic question and bite his lower lip with his front teeth to hold in his frustration. All his plans for reconciliation with Earn, now gone with the night's cold breeze.

 

Earn can be a mean prick whenever he wants to. Unfortunately, tonight Pete will be at the receiving ends.

 

Pete knows that it does not matter who starts the fight between them. What matters is that someone needs to be a bigger person, to apologise and works to mend their broken friendship.

 

“Don't be such a prick, Earn. I'm sorry for walking away... Even though you never ask for break-up, you did say you are tired of me, that I'm a control-freak, trying to control all details of your life and you need some space...”

 

Earn shook his head. He stared into the distance and faintly said, “Sometimes you said things that you will regret afterward. I was young then, I was rash and said things that I did not mean then.”

 

Earn lowered his gaze, “It never comes to my mind that one day that you will leave my side. Now, everything is too late.”

 

“I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Earn.” Pete only stared with confused expression at Earn's statement.

 

Earn laughed sardonically. “Perhaps it's time for us to let go of the past.”

 

Pete asked with caution, “Oh, what are you letting go off?”

 

Earn did not answer the last question. He simply stared at Pete in silence, his eyes deep and unfathomable.

 

The starry sky and distant lights shed a faint sheen on Pete's sharp features, flawless skin, deep dark eyes and on his raven hair.

 

Earn slowly approached Pete. Coming to stand before him, he lowered his head and watched the handsome man under the moonlight. Very slowly, he outstretched his hand to Pete's cheek.

 

“Pete.”

 

Earn's touch was extremely gentle.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Why are we having this conversation today?”

 

Words were caught in Pete's throat and their close proximity is not helping him with his train of thoughts.

 

Earn suddenly grabbed Pete's shoulder and pulled him to his embrace. Caught off guard, he fell forward into the warm embrace, not expecting Earn' sudden movement.

 

Flummoxed, Pete stared ot Earn's collar. He stiffened, not daring to move, for he might ruin this magical moment. Earn leaned his mouth against Pete's ear, tickling Pete with his breath, he whispered: “And then what? Do want to tell me that you have someone new? That both of us should move on...”

 

Pete trembled involuntarily as Earn's voice sounded in the air like silky tendrils, very gentle, but also very cold. In its elegance hid a wisp of frosty chill.

 

Pete was too tense to move an inch.

 

Earn slowly turned to face Pete, his hands cupping her cheeks. His black onyx eyes were slightly squinted, but he did not smile.

 

Pete finally recovered. His pale lips trembled as he hastily tried to clarify: “No, that's not true.”

 

Earn hands suddenly stilled on Pete's cheeks. He kept them firmly there and lowered his head to catch Pete's lips.

 

Their lips met. Slowly closing his eyes, Pete dazedly let Earn ravished his lips and his tongue sneakily slipped inside to probe deeper into the depths of his mouth.

 

Abruptly, Earn parted his lips with the speed of light in the middle of their passionate kiss and tilted his head away.

 

Pete gasped trying to catch his stolen breaths.

 

Then Earn pushed Pete away, turned around and, without another word, brushed off invisible dust on his coat and strode away.

 

Pete gave a cry only by the time Earn was off in the distance. “This sneaky bastard!”

 

In a blink, Earn's elegantly maroon coat and dark trousers completely disappeared from his sight.

 

The rest of the evening went like a blur for him. He returned to the party and escorted Mook home.

 

Perhaps because the weight had been lifted from his heart, his footsteps, too, became lighter.

 

Pete monologued; And while maybe I should not admit it, the truth is, I do not really remember what most people were wearing at my reunion. I remember talking to people I'd never spoken to, and reconnecting with others, but my most vivid memories was about my encounters with Earn.