Chapter 22

Almost Heaven

The doctors are busy inspecting Pete's condition while asking him numerous questions.

 

Where is Pete?” He heard a very familiar voice looking for him.

 

Pete saw Push pushed through his friends and walked in anxiously while panting to meet him. Push breath was labored and beady sweat dripped formed on his forehead.

 

The nurses tried to stop the impatient man from approaching Pete.

 

Who are you?” the doctor was alarmed, his voice growing high and thin with panic.

 

Step aside, I'm his personal doctor! He needs me now!” The man ordered strictly for everyone in the room to open the path for him by pushing his way in.

 

The nurses and doctors were not given any chance to rebuke the anxious man, but to make way for him.

 

P' Push?” he whispered, astonished seeing the man presence in the same room. He continued; “What are you doing here?”

 

Push replied sardonically, “What do you think I'm doing then?”

 

Sensing that his P' Push is currently in a bad mood, Pete decided to drop the subject and sat down obediently.

 

Push took over the medical charts from the doctor's hand. After scanned through the documents quickly, he asked rapid questions to the doctor on duty and personally inspect Pete's wound on the head again.

 

Not satisfied, Push undoing the buttons of Pete's shirt and push the open shirt away from his torso to check for any other injury on the man's body.

 

Push was shocked to see the bruise starting to form on Pete's stomach.

 

He ran through his fingers gently to check for any opened wound. Pete flinched at the slight touches.

 

Explain to me, how did you get this?” P' Push angrily asked.

 

Pete is agitated seeing that his P' Push who is always gentle and caring towards him starting to lose his patience.

 

Pete tugged on Push's hand and gave his best puppy eyes to gain sympathy.

 

Push started to cool down when he caught Pete's eyes and turned softhearted.

 

Push warned grumpily; “Stop giving me those pitiful puppy eyes! You are not going to escape from my berating later. Just wait till you get better first.”

 

Pete explained guiltily; “I'm sorry for making you worry, P' Push. The bruise on my stomach is because I was careless when playing dodge-ball this evening. I promise you that the bruise looks worse than it really is...”

 

Push caressed the reddish prominence surgery scars on Pete's abdomen. The scar running across in the upper part of the abdomen and the deep layer of sutures in the muscular wall of the abdomen.

 

Pete heard one of the nurse take a quick gasped in shock to see the scar.

 

It was obvious to everyone that the patient had been cut-open before.

 

Pete tensed up when he realized that they have spectators in the room and feeling self-conscious of his ugly scars.

 

He felt as if his soul has been stripped bare. His eyes cast downward as he wrapped his arms around himself as if warding off a chill.

 

But, both Push and Pete knew that Pete's protective stand it had nothing to do with night cool air.

 

After the surgery, Pete has low self-esteem and would never change his shirts in front of people.

 

Push then cleared his throat and tried dismiss the spectators in the room. He informed the doctors there that he will be taking Pete to Bumrungrad International Hospital first thing in the morning.

 

After the doctors and nurses left the room, Push leaned forward to give Pete a quick hug for comfort and self-assurance.

 

Pete wrapped his arms around Push neck, breathing in the man's scent. It now carried strong hints of medicine, sweat and his cologne, but his underlying smell remained and he found it calmed him, gave him sense of security in a way he couldn’t really explain.

 

Both of them are lost in their own world.

 

It was until, Pete heard people are talking in hushed whispers near his doorway.

 

Oh my god! He totally forgot about his friends waiting outside.

 

Come in guys! You are being loud out there.” He said looking down while buttoning up his shirts.

 

One by one of his friends started to pile in. Noh, Phun, Ohm, and lastly Earn who is dragging his steps.