Friday – Month 1, Day 21 – Awake & Dreaming

Love Song

 

                 

                 The sound of the doorbell and soft scrunch of leather made Taeyeon pause in the middle of wiping one of the tables. “I’ll be right wit-“ She stopped as soon as she recognized the newcomer. Her eyes rounded in surprise and a smile easily found its way to her lips. “Sooyoung!” Taeyeon chirped and wiped her hands on her apron before she dashed toward the giant.

 

                  “Taeyeon-unni.” Sooyoung threw her arms open and caught Taeyeon, as the shorter woman collided into her. She easily picked Taeyeon up and spun around.

 

                  Laughing, they ended the spin and looked into each other’s eyes before Taeyeon pulled Sooyoung over to the newly cleaned table.

 

                  “My sweet little dongsaeng, how nice it is to see your face again.” Taeyeon pushed Sooyoung into one side of the booth. “I was starting to miss you.” She slid into the opposite side. “How are you doing?”

 

                  Sooyoung unwrapped her scarf from her neck and laughed softly. “Just a little? I’ve not stopped missing you since you left …” Her eyes darted away for a moment before she forced a small smile. “I’ve been … okay.” She struggled not to spill her thoughts at that moment, in fear that she might burden Taeyeon.

 

                  The older woman did not notice her hesitation. “So you’ve missed me so much that you came to visit?” Taeyeon reached over before Sooyoung could reply and pinched both of Sooyoung’s cheeks. “Aigoo, you’re so cute!”

 

                  “Ahhh!” Sooyoung winced and swatted Taeyeon’s hands away from her sore cheeks. “I know, I know. I’m absolutely adorable. Please don’t rip my face off.” She chuckled and rubbed her cheeks.

 

                  “Alright, do you want something to eat or drink?” Taeyeon pulled out her little notebook.

 

                  Sooyoung leaned toward Taeyeon and waggled her eyebrows. “For free?”

 

                  Taeyeon peered hard at the younger woman before sighing. “Yea yea, free. As long as you don’t make me go broke.”

 

                  Happily, Sooyoung let out a cheer and clapped her hands. “I’d like a cup of black coffee, a slice of strawberry shortcake, a chocolate chip bagel with hazelnut spread, three madeleines, and some mini muffins please.” When she finished the order, the sound of Taeyeon’s pen against paper stopped. “That’s all.”

 

                  “Oh, that’s all?” Taeyeon rolled her eyes sarcastically before she lightly pinched Sooyoung’s cheek again. “I’ll be right back with your order, madam.”

 

                  Sooyoung nodded and waved to Taeyeon before she removed her jacket. She set her things down beside her and pulled out her notes out of her bag. She had just finished her morning class and opted to not go to the afternoon one since her mind was not fully on the topic. It was the last class of the semester before exams begin, so there was nothing new to learn anyways. The whole morning, she was awake but she felt like she was dreaming. Life felt surreal to her.

 

                  Sooyoung managed to make it through three lines before her thoughts meandered elsewhere again. She squeezed her eyes shut several times as an attempt to refocus her mind. Earlier that morning, Sooyoung quietly cleaned her room and showered while Yuri slept. The troubled woman slept untroubled as Sooyoung prepared plain porridge and a note for her. Sooyoung has yet to check up on Yuri, because she did not know what to say. Perhaps, that was why she was at the café instead of home.

 

                  “Here you go, let’s start with your coffee and these first …” Taeyeon brought out part of Sooyoung’s order first, so the kid would not starve. The café was a little slow at that time of day, so she could focus all her attention on her dongsaeng.

 

                  “Thanks, unni.” Sooyoung pushed her notes aside and scooped some sugar into her coffee.

 

                  “How’s school going?”

 

                  “Classes ended today and our exams will be next week.” Sooyoung smiled and sipped on her coffee. “How’s business?”

 

                  “It’s been good … a bit slow during this time of day.” Taeyeon shrugged. “Did something happen?”

 

                  Sooyoung blinked and shook her head. “No. Why do you ask?”

 

                  “Nothing … you just don’t seem the type to visit out of the blue like this.” Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders.

 

                  “You made me sound a bit heartless. I can be affectionate and spontaneous, too, you know!” Sooyoung growled before she chomped on a piece of pastry.

 

                  “I didn’t say you weren’t … it’s just unexpected …” Taeyeon chose her words carefully.

 

                  Sooyoung grinned and brushed a piece of sweet against Taeyeon’s lips. “I’ve missed my cute little unni every since her girlfriend took her away from me.”

 

                  Taeyeon blushed and bit into the snack. She the sweetness off her lips. “Stop flirting with me or my girlfriend will kill both of us. She’s been strangely … possessive lately.”                 

 

                  Sooyoung laughed. “That’s because she realized that you are the only person worthy of her love … speaking of her, where is she anyways? I’m surprised she’s not here to keep her TaeTae company.”

 

                  “Tiffany?”

 

                  “Of course, unless you have another girlfriend?” Sooyoung flicked Taeyeon’s forehead.

 

                  “Ouch …” Taeyeon rubbed the red spot on her forehead. “She went shopping with her friend. She called a few minutes ago, I said you were here … so she’s gonna come by in a little bit.”

 

                  “Oh … heh. I don’t know if I want to be here to witness the mushiness.”

 

                  It was Taeyeon’s turn to flick Sooyoung’s forehead. “Idiot.”

 

                  “Ow!” Sooyoung whined and pouted.

 

                  “So how’s your … um … friend? Yuri, was it?” Taeyeon tried to ask casually, but she could not quite classify the woman she had only seen once.

 

                  “Yuri …” Sooyoung’s expression sullen at the mention of the woman she wanted to avoid right now.

 

                  “Trouble?” Taeyeon sat down opposite of Sooyoung. She was willing to listen to Sooyoung’s trouble, since she had shared her troubles with the younger woman before.

 

                  “No, it’s nothing …” Sooyoung decided against ruining their good mood.

 

                  “Tell me or I will take the sweets away.” Taeyeon tried to take back the plate of sweets.

 

                  “Noo!” Sooyoung yelped and tugged the plate away from Taeyeon. “Fine, I’ll tell you … but please don’t share with Tiffany.” She was actually happy to have someone willing to hear about her trouble.

 

                  After Taeyeon nodded in agreement, Sooyoung poured out her thoughts and heartaches. She made it easier for Taeyeon by just summarizing and giving Taeyeon the gist of her girl-trouble. She started with the night Yuri returned and ended with last night. When she got done, the plate of snacks was empty and so was her cup of coffee.

 

                  “Whoa …” Taeyeon blinked and breathed. “I … uh … you … wow.” She was speechless and did not even know where to begin. She had suspected something intimate between Sooyoung and Yuri, but never did she think that Sooyoung’s life would be so complicated.

 

                  “I know.” Sooyoung nodded and rested her forehead on the table. “I’m a mess and I made an even bigger mess with my life.”

 

                  “It certainly is complex and difficult.” Taeyeon wanted to spout some stuff about following one’s heart and just be true to one’s feelings, but she knew that those advices were not at all helpful. Just when she was about to speak again, the bell chimed when the door opened.

 

                  “TaeTae!” Tiffany’s sweet voice rang through the shop and suddenly there was a rush.

 

                  “Fany!” Taeyeon got up.

 

                  Sooyoung watched the two women embraced like they have been separated for years. She snickered at their lovey-dovey actions before she rose from her seat to greet Tiffany. “Hi, Tiff.”

 

                  “Sooyoung!” Tiffany gave Sooyoung a quick hug. “You’re here! Were you trying to steal my Taeyeon?”

 

                  “You’re looking even more beautiful than ever.” Sooyoung chuckled as Tiffany hugged Taeyeon possessively, causing the café owner to blush brightly. “Taeyeon refused to run away with me.”

 

                  “Good!” Tiffany grinned and poked Sooyoung’s shoulder. “Since you’re flattering me, I have a present for you.”

 

                  “Yay!” Sooyoung clapped happily.

 

                  “What about me, Fany?” Taeyeon shot Tiffany a sly look, pretended to pout, and batted her lashes.

 

                  “You’ll get yours later.” Tiffany winked at Taeyeon and walked toward the door of the café, leaving a blushing Taeyeon and a snickering Sooyoung to exchange sheepish looks.


 

 

                  Sooyoung’s jaws slacked unattractively as she looked past Tiffany to another beautifully smiling face.

 

                  “Hi again, Sooyoung.” Jessica waved while Sooyoung picked her jaws up from the floor, figuratively, of course.

 

                  “H-Hi.” Sooyoung stuttered and awkwardly waved at Jessica, since she honestly did not expect to see the ice princess. She turned away slightly to give Tiffany a ‘you should’ve warned me’ look, then back at Jessica.

 

                  Tiffany gave Sooyoung a bright smile and shrugged.

 

                  “Hi Taeyeon-ssi.” Jessica politely bowed to Taeyeon, to which the other woman responded with a bow.

 

                  “Please call me Taeyeon … we’re all friends here.”

 

                  “Okay, if you will call me Jessica.”

 

                  “Deal.” Taeyeon nodded and glanced over at the gaping Sooyoung. “Close your mouth.” She whispered to Sooyoung, but the other two women giggled when they heard it as well.

 

                 “Huh? Oh … yea …” Sooyoung turned read before she turned back to Jessica. “Want to have a seat here?” She pointed to her booth.

 

                  Jessica smiled delightfully at Sooyoung, who felt a blush creep onto her cheeks. “I can’t stay, unfortunately. My mother invited my relatives over for dinner tonight. I wanted to come by to say hello … sorry.” She raised an apologetic hand up.

 

                  Sooyoung was disappointed, but she smiled and nodded understandingly. “Oh, alright. Let me walk you to your car, then?”  

 

                  Jessica shook her head. “You don’t have to, stay and talk to Taeyeon and Tiffany. I decided to take public transport today and the bus stop is just a minute from here.” She grinned upward at Sooyoung.

 

                  Sooyoung deliberated in her head whether she should walk Jessica to the bus stop or not. On one hand, she did not want to appear clingy. On the other, she wanted to maximize her time with Jessica. As she came out of her thoughts, she saw Tiffany giving her some sort of strange eye-signal and Taeyeon staring at her, the short café owner was the only person fully aware of Sooyoung’s situation. With a slight smile, she nodded to acknowledge Tiffany’s silent suggestion.

 

                  “I’ll walk you to the bus stop.” Sooyoung gathered her things before Jessica could object. “I need to get some exercise anyways.” She then bid the Taeny couple goodbye before escorting Jessica out of the café.

 

                  Taeyeon was left to wonder about Sooyoung’s troubles, but she did not have much time to ponder it since Tiffany was already glomping onto her.


 

                  After sometime at the bus stop, Jessica waved goodbye to Sooyoung and hopped onto the bus. She waded the crowded space until she found a standing spot near the back. She held the vertical pole to keep her balance and started to text Krystal about the dinner. As the bus started to move, the momentum caused her to lean back a little and she bumped into someone.

 

                 Without fully looking back, Jessica mumbled an apology and the other passenger grunted in acknowledgement. She was about to refocus on her phone, when she felt someone’s hand wrapped itself around hers. She was about to scream, but she heard a soft, whispery voice in her ear.

 

                  “Don’t scream.” The velvety and smooth voice raised the hair on the back of Jessica’s neck.

 

                  Jessica looked up behind to see her reflection in two soulful chocolate orbs. She lost herself in eyes that were filled with warmth and life. A momentary flash of light caused those eyes to glint softly and snapped Jessica out of her trance. She blushed hotly as the owner of those eyes grinned toothily.

 

                  “What are you doing here?” Jessica touched her hot cheeks as she looked away.

 

                  Sooyoung grinned and slipped one arm around Jessica’s waist. She pulled the shorter woman closer because no one noticed their closeness on the crowded bus. “I wanted to see you home safely.”

 

                  “I can get home on my own, I’m not a child …” Jessica scolded Sooyoung and tried to wiggled away from the tall woman’s hold. “You’re being very generous with my personal space.”

 

                  Despite Jessica’s attempt, Sooyoung kept her from moving very far. She rolled her eyes and hugged Jessica tighter. “Jessica, you know your iciness won’t affect me. I know you too well. You’re enjoying this as much as I am.”

 

                  Jessica turned around and gave Sooyoung a mock icy glare. “ert.”

 

                  Sooyoung giggled and winked at Jessica. “I haven’t even done anything, yet!” She grinned as she protested. “If I were a ert, would …” She rested her chin on Jessica’s shoulder, “you indulge me?” Her eyes are half lidded as she peacefully inhaled Jessica’s scent.

 

                  If Sooyoung could see Jessica now, she might tease the princess for turning three shades redder. “Yah, Choi Sooyoung, what are you saying?”

 

                  “I don’t know, Jung Jessica. What do you think I’m saying?” Sooyoung nuzzled her cheek closely against Jessica’s. She sighed happily and felt at home when she embraced Jessica. There was a high level of comfort that she could only obtain when she press her body against her love’s.

 

                  Sooyoung’s chest pressed against Jessica’s shoulder blades, making the older woman tense up a little. “You don’t knowhow to respect my personal boundary, do you?” Jessica was not uncomfortable, but merely surprised with Sooyoung’s intimate acts.

 

                  “Nope.” A brisk reply came right before a light kiss on Jessica’s cheek.

 

                  Jessica sighed and let Sooyoung continue to hug her. She started to enjoy their close contact. Sooyoung felt so relaxed and serene, that she started to drift off to sleep while standing up. She had not felt so calm in a while. They rode the rest of the way in the comfort of each other’s body heat.

 

                  When the bus lurched into a halt at Jessica’s stop, but Sooyoung’s eyes were still closed so Jessica gently nudged the woman’s belly. After Sooyoung woke up, she groggily walked off the bus with Jessica. The stop was about several blocks from Jessica’s home. Sooyoung had been there before, when she came by bus to surprise Jessica.

 

                  “Are you going to walk me home?” Jessica looked up at her.

 

                  Sooyoung nodded and reached for Jessica’s hand, intertwining their fingers together. “Yes. If you don’t mind.”

 

                  Keeping her voice low and composed, Jessica shook her head. “I don’t mind, since you’ve come all the way here.”

 

                  “Good.” Sooyoung showed off her pearly white teeth and started to walk with Jessica right beside her.

 

                  “You’re so persistent.”

 

                  “I told you that I’m trying to woo you.” Sooyoung said, a little teasingly.

 

                  “I thought we had a deal …”

 

                  “We do, but I can’t stop myself from wanting to see you and be with you … besides, our encounters are mostly random.” Sooyoung said with a grin. She tucked her hair behind her ear.

 

                  Jessica turned toward Sooyoung. “I doubt it. Sulli set up that meeting at the volunteer site, you purposely came to see me on Tuesday and today was totally set up by Tiffany.” She logically pointed out.

 

                  Sooyoung crinkled her nose and give Jessica disbelieving look. “Is it so bad for our friends to help us be together? You’re so rational about everything.”

 

                  “And you love me for it.” Jessica haughtily replied.

 

                  “It’s true.” Sooyoung quickly agreed with an amused look. “I love your rationality, your iciness, and your strange sense of humor. I’m almost saintly for loving all that.” She teased.

 

                  “Yeah … saint.” Jessica rolled her eyes.

 

                  “Who else will love you like I do? Hmm?” Sooyoung prodded Jessica’s cheek. “I’m a total saint.”

 

                  Jessica tried to dodge Sooyoung’s fingertip, but she was quickly pulled back to the bully. “Stooooop it.” She whined.

 

                  “Not until you tell me about your share of experiences!” Sooyoung did not relent and kept aiming for Jessica’s cheek, despite the other woman’s constant motion.

 

                  “What are you talking about?” Jessica tried to kick Sooyoung’s leg.

 

                  Sooyoung jumped back and managed to avoid the attack. “On Tuesday … you said, and I quote,” She cleared and imitated Jessica’s voice in an annoying manner, “we each have had our share of experiences … what did you mean by that?” While she tried to keep her expression playful, her voice turned a bit more serious.

 

                  Jessica paused and stared into Sooyoung’s eyes, which have darkened considerably since she stared into them earlier. “Has it been bothering you?”

 

                  Sooyoung frowned and nodded. Her eyes glanced away from Jessica’s gaze. “A bit.”

 

                  “Hmm …” Jessica abruptly turned and kept walking, making Sooyoung jog after her.

 

                  “So? Aren’t you going to tell me?” Sooyoung sulkily kept her eyes on the ground as she walked beside Jessica.

 

                  “But it doesn’t change the fact that you are completely disregarding our deal.” Jessica replied.

 

                  Sooyoung frowned because it was not the answer she was looking for. “Jess …”

 

                  “I’ve dated a few people since we parted.” Jessica replied then looked up at Sooyoung. “After the first year or so of living in constant worries, anger, pain, and confusion … I needed a change.” She then looked away, straight on the road ahead.

 

                  Sooyoung remained silent. “I’m sorry.” She muttered an apology.

 

                  “I … I know it wasn’t your fault.” Jessica shook her head.

 

                  “What kind of people did you date?”

 

                  Jessica frowned and stopped walking. “Sooyoung, is this really what you want to talk about right now?”

 

                  “Yes.” Sooyoung stopped a few steps ahead of Jessica and turned back to look at the older woman. “I want to get to know you.”

 

                  “You know me already.” Jessica chuckled.

 

                  “I want to know more about you,” said Sooyoung, “Did you date anyone in college? If so, what sort of people?” She was truthfully curious.

 

                  “Knowing more about me would be asking me things like my taste in music, movies, food, or …” Jessica’s voice trembled slightly, showing the irritation that was evidence in her tone.

 

                  “Those are superficial things.” Sooyoung cut her off. “Those are the sort of things you put on a Facebook profile or something, for everyone to see. I want to know what make you smile and things that make you laugh. I want to know about the kind of person you are attracted to and what make your heart flutter. I want to know things that you don’t easily share with other people. I know that you have changed and so have I, we’ve grown up … so just tell me so I can know more about you.” Sooyoung turned fully to face Jessica. She did not know why she spoke so much, but those were things that have been weighing down her chest for the past few days.

 

                  Jessica pursed her lips for a moment, and then shook her head. “You’ve never spoken to me like this before, you have grown up. If you really want to know, then I will tell you.” She brazenly stared at Sooyoung while she spoke. “I’ve dated four people in the last two years. Three guys and one girl, two were Americans and two were Korean. I have enjoyed my time with them, the was good and they made me feel loved. Is that what you wanted to hear? Or do you want me to go into details.” Honestly, Jessica was annoyed with Sooyoung’s behavior.

 

                  While Jessica appreciated Sooyoung’s attention, she did not like to be questioned and pestered. Most of all, she did not like to hear it in Sooyoung’s jealous tone. She would have told Sooyoung when they start dating again, but it was just irksome for Sooyoung to try to guilt her into saying things. She found Sooyoung’s rant a bit immature, rather than sweet.

 

                  Sooyoung stared at Jessica, unsure of what she wanted to say. She sort of wanted to hear that Jessica had been missing her too much to be with anyone else. While she was the one who asked, she did not really want to hear the truth, especially the mention of . “Thank you for telling me.” She smiled and nodded, but her insides were churning with jealousy and it made her sick to her stomach.

 

                  “No problem.” Jessica replied and walked past Sooyoung, brushing against her arm.

 

                  “Jessica.” Sooyoung turned and followed the displeased woman.

 

                  “What about you, Sooyoung? Tell me about your past lovers so I can get to know you better.” Jessica sarcastically rolled her eyes.

 

                  “I …” Sooyoung chewed her lower lip, debating whether she wanted to tell Jessica about Yuri. “I’ve only been with one other person.”

 

                  “Tell me more about this person.” Jessica was not really interested in Sooyoung’s past love life, because she viewed it as a private matter. Since Sooyoung made her talk about hers, Jessica wanted to make Sooyoung to feel the same discomfort that she felt.

 

                  “She …” Sooyoung awkwardly began. “She forced herself into my life and became my friend before she took on the roles of my schoolmate, coworker, and l-lover.” It was the first time that Sooyoung called Yuri her lover. “She’s the opposite of you in everything, from her appearance to her personality. She’s outgoing and funny and charming … all the tools of a big flirt. She can seduce just about anyone, she was a big player … She’s hurt my feelings more than once, but treated me more than just another conquest. She always came back to me and chased away my loneliness … we just never really understood each other.” Sooyoung could not stop talking about Yuri.

 

                  Strangely, speaking to Jessica about Yuri made Sooyoung want to run to the tanned woman and demand to understand her. Saying things out loud was therapeutic and painful at the same time. Sooyoung realized that she never really understood the women in her life, she was too self-involved to pay attention.

 

                  “You must have really liked her.” Jessica said thoughtfully after studying Sooyoung’s expression. She was slightly saddened that Sooyoung liked someone that much. While Jessica dated four people in college, she never loved them, or even truly liked them, the way that she felt about Sooyoung. Seeing Sooyoung’s forlorn expression caused her to worry about her position in the younger woman’s heart.

 

                  Sooyoung smiled bitterly and nodded. “I suppose I did.” She did not want to say that she still liked Yuri very much, not to herself and especially not to Jessica.

 

                  “Well …” Jessica stopped in front of the gates. “Here we are.”

 

                  “Here we are.” Sooyoung repeated and nodded.

 

                  “Thank you for walking me home.” Jessica smiled and lingered.

 

                  Sooyoung smiled and nodded. “I have a feeling that we might ‘accidentally’ run into each other again.”

 

                  “Alright.” Jessica chuckled and gave Sooyoung a quick hug.

 

                  “Think of me until then.” Sooyoung waved at Jessica and started to walk away. They did not share an intimate act or kiss, because suddenly their hearts were heavier than before. Sooyoung was starting to realize the gravity of her dilemma. She was thinking, missing, and talking about Yuri while she was with Jessica. She wanted to run home to apologize to Yuri for never taking the time to understand her better. Her pace was quick and she felt like she woke up from a dream and was instilled with purpose.

 

                  Meanwhile, Jessica watched Sooyoung’s back retreat until it disappeared. She felt a strange feeling that something bad was about to happen. She felt the feeling that she might be stuck in place while watching Sooyoung walk away. She was curious about this person who charmed her way into Sooyoung’s life. Jealousy was a feeling that Jung Jessica rarely experienced and the thought of being jealous irritated her greatly.



 

                 

Hello everyone! I've updated a day earlier than I'd planned, since I will be away most of this weekend.

This was a Soosic chapter, I know it was a bit slow and not fun ... but please bear with me! I'll do better on the next one!

Thank you for your continuing support  via reading and commenting! I got to know  your opinions and understand where to improve  based on what you wrote. Thank you very much!