Saturday – Month 1, Day 15 – Fire

Love Song

The gravel crunched and crackled under the weight of the car as Sooyoung pulled into the parking lot. She surveyed the area before she stepped out of the care. In front of the gravel lot was the plot of land where materials were already set out. This was the vacant lot where they were going to build new homes for the underprivileged.

Sooyoung was starting to feel anxious about how Jessica might react. A small part of her wanted to get back into the car and drive away before anyone noticed. She had called into work and asked for the day off, it took a lot of begging and whining for Kahi to relent. It was a lot of trouble that she went through, so backing out was not an option.

In the morning, Sunny and Hyomin came by to pick up Mason and Taeyeon did not return from her date last night, so Sooyoung assumed everything went well with Tiffany. Things were working out for the people around her, so it was her turn to share a bit of the happiness.

“Sooyoung-unni!” Someone, most likely Sulli, jumped on Sooyoung’s back.

“AH!” Sooyoung squealed as she momentarily lost balance. “Jinri, you almost gave me a heart attack!” She chastised the playful girl.

“Aww, don’t yell at me. You still owe me, remember?” Sulli pouted and gave Sooyoung a big hug.

As Sooyoung’s heart rate climbed down, she returned the hug with a tight squeeze. “Good to see you, Jinri.” She had occasionally missed her younger cousin, but Sooyoung did not want to think back on the past. It was the same reason she neglected to visit Sunny.

“Jessica-unni and Krystal are already here.” Sulli pulled back from the hug and pointed Sooyoung toward the direction of the Jung sisters. They were hidden behind the group of people that surrounded them, mostly men. Of course, it was a great time to flex and look manly while doing volunteer work for two beautiful girls.

“Ah … aren’t you jealous of all those people oogling your girlfriend?” Sooyoung teased the younger girl, who was still clinging on to her.

“I trust Krystal. Even more, I trust in myself.” Sulli replied with a cocky grin, the same one that Sooyoung wore sometimes. “Have you seen me? I’m friggin hot!”

“Alright alright, calm down Lady Casanova.” Sooyoung rolled her eyes and pushed Sulli away. “Let’s go.” She had enough fooling around.

“Wait unni,” Sulli pulled on Sooyoung’s arm, “Just remember, you are here on your own accord. It’s a coincidence. I had nothing to do with this.”

“Right. I got it. You’ve only said so for the thousandth time.” Sooyoung squeezed Sulli’s nose and then took a sharp breath. She gathered up her courage, put on her sunglasses and strutted toward the site. Sulli followed her for a short distance before she branched off toward Krystal and Jessica’s direction.

Playing her role, Sooyoung completely ignored the group of people and the Jung sisters at the center of that group. Out of her peripheral version, she saw that Jessica was smiling and talking to some handsome guys. Sooyoung felt a twinge of jealousy at the pit of her stomach, but instead of worrying about competition, she wondered how she should catch Jessica’s attention.

“Hey! Choi Sooyoung!” A male voice boomed across the site, drawing everyone’s attention toward the owner of that voice.

Sooyoung did not know how she came to be so lucky, but she turned toward the person and smiled. “Hey, Changmin-oppa.” She waved toward her former schoolmate. He was two years older than her and they took some pre-medical courses together. Of course, he is now in medical school.

“I didn’t know you were coming, I thought you were just focusing on studying during the next two months.” Changmin dusted his hands on his jeans while he approached Sooyoung.

“I am, but I thought … you guys might need a hand?” Sooyoung smiled inwardly at her luck and ability to roll with the situation. She felt three pairs of eyes on her, as expected, but she continued to feign ignorance of their presence.

“Of course, with those guys over there busy ogling pretty girls, we could really use another pair of hands.” Changmin proudly patted Sooyoung’s shoulder. “Here, you can have my gloves.” He removed his work gloves and put them into her hands. “C’mon, there’s work to be done.” He then pulled Sooyoung right along before she had anything to say.

As Sooyoung looked at Changmin’s masculine back, she remembered why she was always fond of him. He was the go-getter type with a wicked charm that could sway anyone. Despite his intense schooling schedule, he always found time to do some community service work. She aspired to be like him and they have been good friends. Since he got into medical school, they have not been hanging out or talked much, but occasionally he would invite her to come do volunteer work with his organization. It had a rather unimaginative name, the Volunteers, but no one seemed to mind.

“Alright?” Changmin’s voice pulled Sooyoung back to the situation.

“Hum?” Sooyoung had a dumfounded look on her face.

“You were spacing out again.” Changmin laughed and ruffled Sooyoung’s hair. “I asked if it is okay for you to work with power tools?”

“I … uh … yea … oomph!” Sooyoung felt something, or someone, tackle her from behind. She faltered for a few steps while Changmin looked surprise.

“Sooyoung-unni!” It was that annoying voice again.

“Choi Jinri.” Sooyoung gritted her teeth. It was the second time today that her heart nearly leapt out of her chest.

“I didn’t know you were going to be here. You should have told me. I missed you so much.” Sulli chattered off and nuzzled against Sooyoung’s cheek.

“Get off me!” Sooyoung growled, though she was surprised at the girl’s natural acting ability. But then again, Sulli would find any excuse to cling to her. “What are you doing here anyways?”

“I came with Jessica-unni and Krystal! They’re over there …” Sulli pointed to the group on the other side of the lot and caught Krystal glaring daggers at her and she gulped. Somehow, she understood that her girlfriend knew that she told Sooyoung. It was a couple-telepathy thing. But it could also be because Krystal understood Sulli too well.

“Oh …” Sooyoung waved, but only got a nod from Jessica, before the other girl turned away and looked for work to do.

“Ahem.” Changmin cleared his throat to remind everyone that he was still present.

“…” Sooyoung was taken back by Jessica’s lack of response, but she had some time so she turned back and introduce Changmin and Sulli to each other. By the time all the niceties were over, Sulli bid her a forlorn farewell and headed back to Krystal, who immediately pulled her aside for a chat. Sooyoung watched as Jessica still focused elsewhere instead of her.

“Here you go, your safety goggles and safety hat and gloves … oh you have gloves … what else …” Changmin inventoried everything.

“Oppa, I’m not working at a construction site, I will be alright.” Sooyoung laughed and put on her goggles before Changmin crowned her with the hardhat.

“Can’t be too careful, since you have to be on tip top shape to study.” Changmin patted her shoulder again. “Help the girls over there to piece the windows together. Let me know if you need anything.”

Sooyoung smiled and nodded then joined the group that was working on windows. They already knew her from her previous volunteer work with them, so she was quickly familiarized with everything. It was not long before she had them laughing from her jokes. While she did cast the occasional glance over toward Jessica, she never managed to see the unreadable expression that the other girl had on her face.

They worked hard until it was snack time midway through the building process. Since there were many volunteers, the house went up faster than Sooyoung expected. The skeleton that she saw just two hours ago was now fleshed out and covered. She wiped the sweat from her brows and went toward the refreshment table for a bottle of water.

As she reached for a bottle, a hand also reached for it. Sooyoung looked over and saw that it was her ice angel. The menial tasks that she had been doing did a good job to keep her mind off the other girl, but now that they were standing next to each other, Sooyoung found herself unable to look away.

“Hi.” Jessica’s brown eyes sparkled as she smiled at the gawking giant.

“Hello.” Sooyoung’s voice was a little higher than the suave and cool one that she wanted. “Here.” She handed Jessica a bottle of water.

“Thanks. How are you doing?” The shorter girl accepted it.

“I’m doing good ... we seem to be running into each other a lot.” Sooyoung joked.

“I know.” Jessica replied and they stared at each other, not knowing what else to say.

“It’s a …” “Don’t say it’s a sign.”

Jessica cut Sooyoung off with a finger pressed against the taller girl’s lips. “Because it would be very corny.”

Sooyoung smiled against Jessica’s finger and she reached to hold Jessica’s hand. “I won’t then.”

“Thank you.” Jessica nodded and slowly pulled her hand back, though she was blushing and smiling.

“You haven’t changed, you still get involved with volunteering projects … like the old days.” Sooyoung said before she took a gulp of water.

“It’s part of the community involvement project that my father’s company is starting.” Jessica explained before she prodded Sooyoung’s belly. “What do you mean the old days? Are you saying that I’m old?”

“I was called ancient yesterday, so … you’re not just old, you’re really ancient.” Sooyoung grinned after she wiped water from her lips.

“Rude!” Jessica frowned and puffed out her cheeks. “Insulting me is not exactly the good way to win me back.”

“Who said that I’m trying to win you back?” Sooyoung stuffed a cookie into and crunched happily.

“You’re not?” Jessica narrowed her eyes disbelievingly at the taller woman.

Sooyoung shook her head and swallowed the chewed up cookie. “You said that we are starting over so … how about I introduce myself first?” She wiped her crumb-covered fingers against her jeans before she offered her hand toward Jessica. “Hi, I’m Choi Sooyoung. What’s your name?”

Jessica looked from the offered hand to Sooyoung’s bright grinning face. She was wary of whatever strange idea the younger woman was up to. However, she rolled her eyes and then shook Sooyoung’s hand. “Jung Jessica.”

“Oh, you’re the Jung Jessica that I have heard so many good things about. Very nice to meet you, Jung Jessica.” Sooyoung squeezed Jessica’s delicate hand and continued her playful act.

“I can’t say the same about you.” Jessica coolly replied and pulled her hand back. “I heard that you’re a crazy girl who comes up with the most random idea.”

“That sounds like me.” Sooyoung nodded in agreement. “Aren’t you curious of what I heard about you?”

“Not really, since it’s all good, I’m not worried.”

“Oh … that’s true. You are beautiful and cold at the same time. But I think the thing about you being short was most true.”

“Yah! Choi Sooyoung!” Jessica playfully hit Sooyoung’s arm a few times.

“Owww! I didn’t mean to offend you.” Sooyoung giggled and circled around the table to avoid Jessica’s attack.

“Well you did, come back here!” Jessica chased after the gangly girl.

From the sites, people were watching them play around. Changmin was curious about the pretty girl who was chasing Sooyoung around the table like cat and mouse. Krystal started to walk toward the pair, she did not look pleased that Sooyoung tried to approach her sister again. Luckily, Sulli stopped her just in time.

“Whew … let’s take a short break … I still have a house to build you know.” Sooyoung panted after she ran around the table a few times. While the weather was chilly, she felt rather steamed from the physical exercise.

“You’re the one who picked on me, besides you’re not the only one building it.”

“Okay, I’m sorry for upsetting you.” Sooyoung smiled with an interested look in her eyes. She walked closer to Jessica and stopped in front of the other girl. She was not afraid of getting hit again. “Let me make it up to you by taking you to dinner.”

Jessica looked up to Sooyoung’s chocolate eyes and she almost melted by the sweetness that she saw. She had always liked to stare into those wide brown orbs, especially when they are accompanied by a bright pearly smile. She was charmed and she knew it, but she had to tear her eyes away. “Sooyoung …”

“I’m just asking for dinner, not marriage … yet.” Sooyoung rubbed her belly. “All this physical activity made me hungry and if you don’t come with me, I’ll have to eat alone …”

Jessica felt a tug at her heartstring as she imagined a puppy-eyed Sooyoung eating dinner alone. She felt guilty but she had to be firm. It concerned not only her pride, but Jessica also wanted to see Sooyoung work hard for her. Jung Jessica was not an easy girl that someone could just date whenever.

“We have a family dinner tonight.” Krystal’s voice interrupted before Jessica could decline. The older girl actually felt relieved from the pressure of Sooyoung’s stare.

“Jjung, we should leave the unnies to their business.” Sulli had an apologetic look toward Jessica and Sooyoung.

“Oh, then how about dessert?” Sooyoung smiled, even though she was getting annoyed with Krystal’s constant antagonism. “Krystal and Jinri can come, too.”

“No thanks.” Krystal flatly declined.

Sulli frowned and shook her head at her girlfriend. She knew that Krystal was fiercely loyal and protective toward Jessica, but she was getting out of line. No matter what, Krystal should never talk to Sulli’s beloved cousin this way.

“Stop it, Krystal.” Sulli said in a serious tone. The way she said Krystal’s name made the younger girl cringe.

“W-Why should I?” Krystal stuttered, because she knew Sulli was getting mad, which was very rare.

“Enough.” Jessica finally spoke up. “You girls should get back to everyone, they started working again.” She waved Sulli and Krystal away. The commanding tone in her words made it understood that it was final.

Krystal reluctantly stomped away and Sulli followed, but went to a different work group to avoid argument.

“Sorry about that, she still …” Jessica smiled ruefully at Sooyoung.

“It’s okay, she’ll soon accept me as the person for you. She’ll warm up to me by the time that we are in-laws.” Sooyoung smiled back.

“Oh my, someone is confident.” Jessica laughed at Sooyoung’s dorky, yet adorable smug look. “I like that.”

Sooyoung felt ecstatic just from Jessica’s little compliment. “Then have dinner with me.” She blurted out again.

Jessica seemed to contemplate it for a moment before she shook her head. “We have a deal, we will start everything over when you get into medical school.” She reached up and cupped Sooyoung’s cool and smooth cheek. “Have some patience and work hard.”

Sooyoung felt her stomach sank again, but almost immediately, Jessica’s touch brought a certain feeling of warmth and tenderness to her. She nodded, even though she was impatient. “Okay. I’ll work hard for you.”

“For us.” Jessica smiled and walked back to her work group.

As Sooyoung watched Jessica’s small frame walked away, she thought about the older woman’s last two words. “For us.” Those two words gave her more hope than anything else. She felt that she had a possible future with this incredible woman. A wide smile broke across Sooyoung’s face.

“Stop drooling.”

Sooyoung turned to Changmin, who was also watching Jessica. “Oppa, stop being a creeper.” She whined.

“I was just checking out the girl that you were drooling over. She’s pretty.”

“She’s amazing.” Sooyoung blushed and nodded. She watched Jessica for a bit before she and Changmin walked back over to their task.

“So how did you two meet?” Changmin had never seen that tender smile on Sooyoung’s face before. The girl never opened up to him about who she liked or crushed on. Naturally, he was curious.

“We went to highschool together.” Sooyoung felt uncomfortable talking about her past so she looked up at him and smiled. “Let’s get to work, there’s a lot to get done.”

Changmin nodded, as he understood.

They continued to work for a while and eventually, the sun started to set over the trees behind the lot. The house actually looked like a house now, all it needed was some paint and furniture. The electrician and plumber would come in during the week to set everything up. During the work period, Sooyoung would occasionally meet Jessica’s gaze. Instead of looking away, the princess would smile at her. Even if they were not back to how they were back then, Sooyoung felt highly encouraged by the friendliness of her love interest.

When night fell, the work was postponed until the next day where a smaller group of volunteers would come back to clean and take care of the details. Everyone talked comfortably with each other and over all, they were full of good feelings. Sooyoung would take the occasional break from talking with her friends to watch Jessica interact with other people. She thought the eldest Jung shone like royalty from her mannerism.

“You’re staring again.” Changmin nudged her with his elbow.

“Quit creeping on me, old man.” Sooyoung cheekily replied.

“Takes one to know one … anyways, want to grab some drinks with a few of the volunteers?” Changmin pointed over at some of the people that they worked with today.

Sooyoung took a moment to consider before she shook her head. “I’m really tired, I think I’m just going to sleep.”

“You can sleep after a few drinks, it’ll make you feel better.” Changmin had a hopeful look on his face.

“Another time, oppa. I’m just gonna head home and veg out for a while.” Sooyoung secretly wanted to see if Taeyeon had returned yet. She wanted to get the details on TaeNy’s date.

“Alright then, give me a call if you change your mind.” Changmin nodded and then ruffled Sooyoung’s hair. “Take care, kiddo.”

“See you, Changmin-oppa.” Sooyoung waved to him before she turned toward the Jung sisters and Sulli. She slipped her hands into her pocket and sauntered over to them. They were talking to other people, but Sooyoung drew Jessica’s attention immediately. The tall girl was very proud of herself for that ability.

“I’m going to head home so … have a good family dinner. Tell your parents I said hello.”

“Sure.” Jessica nodded. “Take care, Sooyoung.”

“Until we meet again.” Sooyoung smiled and secretly hoped that it would be soon. She waved at Krystal, who gave her a blank look, and then she walked over to give Sulli a hug.

“Thanks, cousin.” Sooyoung whispered into the younger girl’s ear.

 “You’re welcome, sorry about Krystal …” Sulli whispered back.

“I understand where she is coming from … you’re lucky to have her.” Sooyoung whispered once more before she kissed her cousin’s cheek.

Sulli pulled back and stared at Sooyoung in surprise. Sooyoung barely hugged her, and much less kiss her. The older girl always had a distance around her that made it hard for people to come close to her heart. Sulli always clung to her, but she had always felt the gap between them. This innocent kiss on the cheek was the first time that Sulli felt the warmth from her cousin.

Sooyoung looked at Sulli’s surprised expression and understood her thought. “I’m thankful that you are my cousin.” She was sincere with every word. “Take care and I’ll see you soon.” She bid them farewell and made her way to her car.

The drive home was uneventful, though there was this rush that coursed through Sooyoung’s veins. She could not wait to finally be able to hold Jessica again. Through out the afternoon, the urge to pull that small frame against her was almost insuppressible.


Sooyoung opened the door to her apartment and found it dark and empty, just like she left it that morning. Taeyeon was not back yet, so the date must have went really well. Sooyoung grinned at that thought, though she missed the hot meals provided by the older woman. Having someone else in the apartment only provided a stark contrast to times like this, when she was alone.

After a heavy sigh, Sooyoung shed her clothes from the hallway to the bathroom door. She suddenly wanted to take a long shower. She did not realize how heavy her limbs had gotten, she felt very out of shape. The moment the hot water hit her skin; she felt all her tension evaporated with the steam.

The sound of running water hitting the shower’s floor was also relaxing, it kept her mind clear of her worries and stress. As she stood under the streams of hot water, she thought she heard the sound of a door close. “Taeyeon-unni? Are you home?” She called out, but there was no answer.

Suddenly, Sooyoung felt a cool breeze against her back as the shower door opened behind her. The draft brought a strange coolness that tickled her skin. Then suddenly, she felt a pair of s pressed right against her shoulder blades and then a pair of arms wrapped around her torso.

She was enveloped in this woman’s embrace and the nostalgic sensation rushed through her body. The skinship felt familiar and it aroused a yearning that had plagued for the past few months. She felt like her body was on fire. She heard the shower door’s close and felt a soft nibbled on her ear lobe.

“I’m back.” A smooth, husky voice flowed like honey into Sooyoung’s ear.

“Yuri …” Sooyoung gasped as she felt the woman at her core. 


... and voila!