Six

Syndrome. Stockholm.

Thank you all for your kind comments and subscriptions!

This chapter is of lacklustre quality so please forgive me! I will work harder on the next chapter! ¬.¬

Also, please support VIXX!!!! 谢谢大家!

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

“Release them.” Taekwoon ordered silently, eyes never leaving Hongbin who is now leaning against him quietly. He has never been more docile and though Taekwoon can sense his unwillingness and apprehension, Hongbin is staying with him no matter what.

Watching Taekwoon lift Hongbin up and deposit him into the vehicle waiting for them, a frenzied Wonshik had to be held back by his own subordinates. Hongbin had left with Taekwoon on his own free will and that is unacceptable to Wonshik. However, the medic’s notions are clear and everyone present have gotten his drift.

“LEE HONGBIN WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO TELL HALMEONI?” Yelling at the top of his lungs as he launches himself at the still unmoving vehicle, Wonshik prayed for the heavens to knock some sense into Hongbin before he does.

Grabbing his own rifle and trying to shoot Taekwoon, Wonshik would have otherwise emptied his bullets into the tall man. However, he is still stuck in the least favourable position possible. The enemies have him surrounded and his barking is the only potent weapon left since his bite is no longer applicable. He and his entire platoon would be dead even before he pulls the trigger and that is very bad news for everyone back home. He needed to think from the perspective of a leader. Not a rash friend with pent up frustration and despair.

Taekwoon’s personal jeep finally pulls off with Hongbin in it and Wonshik collapsed onto the ground below in defeat. A mess of angry tears and helpless rage. He had never felt more exasperated and despondent in his life. Hongbin was in pain, every step of the way, and he had just rubbed more salt into the young man’s wounds.

Remembering the marks on Hongbin’s body, it then dawned on the older man that Taekwoon was probably the sole culprit. There were many enemy soldiers guarding Hongbin but none of them seemed to have access to the young medic. Wonshik’s blood ran cold for the second time just thinking about how objectified his friend must have been under Taekwoon’s torment.

Now, he had just condemned Hongbin to a lifetime of this misery.

The instinctive mechanism to source for a comforting thought kicked in. Is it not for the better that Hongbin was only taken by that one man? One Taekwoon or a bunch of dirty brutes? It’s the lesser of two evil. Perhaps being taken was better than Hongbin actually dying. If Taekwoon loved him enough to keep him, the likelihood of him hurting Hongbin would be reduced wouldn’t it?

Wonshik found those thoughts in itself sickening but he needed to deal with accepting their circumstances. What more can he do anyway? He is about to be escorted back past the border and that meant he would never set foot into the north ever again.

Pressing his forehead to nearest wall with his eyes tightly sealed, the older man swallowed every ounce of regret and grievances lingering. He really wouldn’t mind it if he was to die in exchange for Hongbin’s safety. At the very least, he owes the medic his life. He would be long gone if Hongbin hadn’t shown up while he was at the verge of dying.

Hongbin was like a little flower brought up in the nursery. Or rather, the latter’s parents and grandmother had always ensured the young man led a sheltered life. No hurt, no pain, nothing vulgar. Even if Hongbin had been mischievous, they would never punish him. Especially his grandmother. She doted on Wonshik a whole lot too and they are practically family.

What would he tell Hongbin’s family? That Hongbin is dead? That their beloved offspring is suffering on the other side of the land and that they will never be able to do anything about it? Everyone loved him. He was precious to them.

The young medic had a heart of gold after all and it was not difficult to fall for his weird antics and charms. He had the whole package- the looks, the brains and the character of a tiny animal capable of no harm. Wonshik is incredibly proud of him for growing up so fine and the thought of how that monster had tainted his precious gem for a friend and brother so shamelessly makes his blood boil lava hot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile...

The interior of Taekwoon’s moving vehicle is a dead silent as Hongbin slips in and out of a restless slumber. His body is not holding up with the fever ravaging his already frazzled out physics. The thick uniform Wonshik had taken from Taekwoon’s cupboard and draped on him prior to their escape is doing him no favours too.

Taekwoon does not miss the beads of cold sweat lining his forehead and dabs them off. To which Hongbin withdrew himself. Shuddering visibly, the young medic pushed the bigger man away whenever the man attempted to provide him with the necessary warmth. Taekwoon scares him and as much as possible, Hongbin wants to stay away from him.

Fortunately, the bigger man seemed more receptive of his rude behaviour so Hongbin was left to do whatever he pleased with a statue-like Taekwoon sitting beside him.

Tucking the blade he had snitched from Wonshik deeper into his own pocket, Hongbin clutched onto it tightly. He has two options. He can seek revenge and end Taekwoon. Or he could simply end himself. Killing Taekwoon’s does not seem feasible at this point. Firstly because he had made a personal oath of beneficence. He only heals.

As much as he is unable to fathom what use Taekwoon has for him since Wonshik did mention that the war is already over, Hongbin is not keen on finding out. He is too tired to think straight right now and all he wants to do is put himself out of this misery once and for all. He would, eventually, as soon as he gets some alone time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taekwoon hadn’t been home for an awfully long time himself and it felt good to be home at last. His parents have died sometime back and he had only work to occupy him ever since. They were influential so Taekwoon was able to make it very far in life. He had everything but there was always a feeling of emptiness within him. Hongbin had been very good for filling that gap.

The journey back to wherever Taekwoon wanted to take Hongbin felt like forever and the latter is near a bed once again. For a pretty clear reason, Hongbin had acquired an aversion for beds. That particular furniture scares him a great deal so his flight response kicked in instantaneously. Trying to escape from Taekwoon’s arms, Hongbin ended up falling.

Crawling towards the corner of the spacious room, Taekwoon had to get down on all fours in order to pull him back. Struggling into the small space beneath the study table, Hongbin yelped when Taekwoon extracted him with succession. Crying out in distress when the man attempted to tuck him in once again, Taekwoon ended up having to fight him onto the sheets.

Reaching for the buttons, Taekwoon’s pure intention to strip him down for a tepid sponging session was misinterpreted. Watching Hongbin burrowed beneath the multiple layers of comforter and blanket, the man cannot help but have the urge to hold the terrified creature.

Pulling the latter out whenever he manages to form a cocoon around himself, Taekwoon briefly decided he would shower Hongbin to bring down his temperature instead. Aware that Taekwoon is peeling off the top and bottom that he is wearing, Hongbin lets out a pitiful wail and started to struggle violently so Taekwoon was left with little choice.

“Behave.” Narrowing his eyes as they bore into Hongbin’s wide glazed ones, Taekwoon pressed the latter’s head into the soft pillow by the forehead. Hongbin frowns in response and tries to escape once again. Infuriated, Taekwoon ended up stripping him a little less gently than he had intended.

Then, hauling him into the bathroom, Taekwoon turned the tap and dumped a thrashing Hongbin into the tub. Hongbin’s subsequent reactions were entertaining. The way he would wrap his arms around his folded legs and bury his face in his kneecaps. Taekwoon liked everything about him despite his mulish behaviour. Seeing an energetic Hongbin for a change is unusually satisfying.

Shampooing the young man’s hair while Hongbin remained absolutely still, Taekwoon wanted badly to initiate a conversation but nothing is coming out. He was never good with words. Hongbin hadn’t spoken to him ever since stitching him up and as much as he is craving to hear Hongbin’s voice again, he is not ready to hear the latter cursing at him.

The water was warm enough and the scent of Taekwoon’s soap is soothing so Hongbin ended up nodding off. Not wanting to wake him, Taekwoon lifted him from the tub gently and wrapped him in a thick fluffy towel before transferring him back to the bed once more.

Leaving the room once he is done tidying Hongbin up, Taekwoon does not notice that the latter is already awake and watching him. As soon as the door is shut, Hongbin is out from under the sheets and on the floor, digging the blade out from the pile of clothes he was wearing before.

It is now or never. Only god would know when he will have the chance to be all alone again. He can’t possibly commit suicide in front of Taekwoon but he could if he was alone. He is feeling utterly dreary at this moment and definitely not prepared to spend the rest of his life with his tormentor.

Half crawling into the bathroom, the young man panted slightly with the effort required for even the simplest task. Turning the tap and letting it fill the tub at full blast, Hongbin sliced his wrists and dipped his hand into the water. The cut he made was as deep as his determination was strong and the water was quickly dyed a hue of dark and bright red. The stinging pain was only temporary and Hongbin is at peace with himself at last.

Leaning his head against the smooth marble surface of the side, Hongbin let his mind drift back home. Eyelids heavy and consciousness weaning, the medic reminisced his internship days as well as those fun times he shared with Wonshik and some other friends.