Ten

Syndrome. Stockholm.

Hi ^^

First off, I would like to apologise. This chapter is very important to me as it explains and summarises how Taekbin had morphed... therefore it does not contain alot of any other progress. I sincerely hope it makes sense. Do feedback! ^^

Also, I have managed to edit and post this chapter before my flight which is in 6 hours, so the next update (last 1 or 2 chapters) would be in around three days time.

Thank you all for your subscriptions and very sweet comments! I do not want to disappoint in anyways so please pardon me if this update is not up to par. 

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

“The water is ready...” Dawdling as he hides by the doorway, the mousy young man spoke up timidly after a long moment of peeking at the person within the room.

The man inside is seated on the bed he used to sleep on. Staring out of the window while he contemplates about his life ahead. He does not like to be disturbed when he is deep in his thoughts but he would gladly make an exception for his pet. His guest would be more appropriate term.

Taekwoon had opted to sleep on the futon in the adjacent room since the other’s arrival, but sleeping on the ground would be highly inconvenient now with an injured lower limb. The inflammation had subsided and the swelling is much better over the course of two days. He was unable to walk the day before but his personal doctor, nurse and helper had done an excellent job and he is already hobbling around.

He hadn’t called for his own military doctor since the person he now stays with have been nothing short of capable. A perfect wife.

The other reason being that he is now under scrutiny by his superiors for his frequent absence. His rank is second to none of his peers and he is infallible in the eyes of the dictator he now serves but that does not mean he is irreplaceable. He hadn’t been performing up to par of late and despite him being easily pardoned for nearly everything, he is tired of being the bad guy. Mentally exhausted.

It’s been days since he last reported for duty. He had informed them about his injury and claimed it was due to a fall while hiking. No one is questioning him. Yet.

Being away from the army had allowed him a whole lot of time to think about his life in general. As much as he is a monster, his thirst for blood had somehow been satiated.

Being with Hongbin had given him quite a fair amount of insights. He had witnessed how Hongbin is treasured. He wanted to do the same for Hongbin. He desperately wanted Hongbin by his side. The latter had successfully replaced whatever plans he had for his life ahead. He was focused on his military career solely because there was no one else to care about at home. His priorities have changed.

Now that he has someone for a companion, he does not want to return to how he was before. A painful reminder of his old self. He wants a family.

Standing up, Taekwoon did not even need to utter a word and Hongbin is by his side. Supporting him as he makes his way to the bathroom for his bath, Taekwoon could not help but stare at Hongbin while the latter paves the way for him. Admiring his long lashes. Gorgeous big eyes. Perfectly sculpted nose. Luscious pink lips.

The apologetic feeling washed over him again in waves. He hadn’t been able to shrug that feeling off since his failure to return Hongbin to his rightful place. He was selfish. He was driven mad with lust and the need to possess when he captured Hongbin. Even now, he is reluctant to let Hongbin go.

Nevertheless, he knows this place he calls home is not the least bit suited for Hongbin. He had been to the meetings and had been part of the planning committee. His government is choosing to stay true to their roots and beliefs. Taekwoon too was brought up that way. Hongbin was the direct opposite of him.

Hongbin would never be truly happy with him. He is sure of it. He cannot force his beliefs onto the latter. He does not want to. The only question now is why not?

Leaning back with his head resting on the edge of the tub, Taekwoon’s brows furrowed. He had taken Hongbin by force. He had done nothing worthy of being by that angel’s side. The more Hongbin is kind to him, the more terrible he felt. He had no conscience before and had sworn that conscience does not exist in him. So what is this complex feeling?

His needs have just taken a huge upgrade and he is starting to hate his personality change. First he only wanted Hongbin for obvious reasons that is related to mating. Then he had grown a hell lot of respect for the resilient, incredibly strong but also kind young man. His basic need became a wanting, for an ideal partner by his side. Which he had succeeded in finding as well.

This wanting then evolved into the demand for his partner to reciprocate. He had worked really hard and gave it all of his self-control. Now that he is halfway there, under some queer circumstances. He finds it necessary for his partner to be happy, for as long as he lived. His love has grown and it is now so big that he would be willing to trade the universe for a few hours of Hongbin’s happiness.

As soon as he is done soaking in his misery, Taekwoon clumber out of the tub to dry himself. Hongbin had obviously heard the fuss and entered after a gentle knock.

Helping Taekwoon back to his bed, Hongbin left him there momentarily but returned with the first aid kit a short while later. Managing the stitches and dressing diligently, he quickly wrapped Taekwoon up and disappeared from his side once again.

Dinner was simple. Had been simple since his injury. The dried grains Hongbin had apparently hated is coming into handy now. Hongbin obviously does not know his way around a kitchen and Taekwoon found that flaw very endearing.

They ate in silence as always and Hongbin would clean up after that. His life had become a routine and taking care of Taekwoon has probably spiced it up a little. Asides from that, there really isn’t much of any fun, joy and laughter that Taekwoon can offer him.

Taekwoon doesn’t talk much. He cannot express himself a whole lot. He still behaves rather brusquely around Hongbin. He tries to be gentle but that requires too much effort to maintain. He is out of ideas to please his captive. Hongbin is one tough prisoner to handle. They have not been talking at all since Taekwoon thanked him. It’s a vicious cycle of relationship improvements followed by absolute standstills.

Noticing that Hongbin is not returning to the room to spend the night, yet again, Taekwoon felt very troubled. Hongbin never stays around Taekwoon for too long and even though the older man knows the reason, he still feels the pinch.

So, getting up and shuffling over to the doorway with the mere intention of checking on Hongbin, Taekwoon is stunned to see the latter sitting huddled up outside, just beside the door. He appears to be sleeping upright with his head slanted to one side. The older man threw a fit before he could process what he was doing.

“Get up!” Ordering with a stern voice, Hongbin jumped a little and jerked his head upwards to face a frowning Taekwoon.

Taekwoon then grabs him by his arm and tugged him along as he returns to the bed. Hongbin fidgeted a little but had no choice but to comply when Taekwoon pushed him onto the bed. Whimpering while he sits in his now favourite defensive position with legs tucked against his chest and face buried, Taekwoon wanted badly to assure him that he is not going to do anything cruel today. Or any other day for as long as Hongbin is not willing.

Shoving the young man to one side of the bed, Taekwoon settled down beside him and threw the thick blanket on his frailer frame. Motioning for him to sleep, Taekwoon is still upset at himself for not noticing that Hongbin had probably been sleeping at the corridor since their return from the harrowing trip to the tunnel.

His heart aches at the thought of Hongbin behaving like a mere hound. He knows he had possibly ingrained a wrong message into the young man’s head but his intentions were the exact opposite. He does not want Hongbin so subservient. He does not want Hongbin to be so wary and afraid of him.

Straightening the stiff young man’s folded peripherals, Taekwoon encased the smaller torso in his own warm wide one. It is clear that Hongbin is holding his breath so Taekwoon pressed his own chest to against the latter’s, to ‘deflate’ him. Lower limbs intertwined as he relaxes himself, Taekwoon ran his fingers along Hongbin’s hair and neck in a repeated fashion.

“Sleep.” Taekwoon meant it in a nice way but his assertive tone was painfully apparent either ways. He was only good for barking orders after all.

Clearing his throat, the older man tried again. “Sleep.” He repeated himself as soothingly as he could and tilted his head downwards. He is met with Hongbin who is staring at him, huge eyes wandering around his face curiously from just a mere few inches apart.

This close up view of Hongbin’s face and full-fledged skin contact sparked a frenzy in his system, particularly at his lower region. Drawing a deep breath, Taekwoon was able to suppress most of his urges except the urge to kiss. He ended up planting a peck on the latter’s nose.

Hongbin wrinkled his nose in response and Taekwoon chuckled. Eyes widening further, they never left Taekwoon’s smiling face. Hongbin have never seen Taekwoon close to smiling and he is trying to figure out that smirk-like grin. It is causing his heart to flutter as well and Hongbin’s heart has never fluttered for anyone before.

“Are you happy?” Hongbin asked. A full sentence for a question. Taekwoon is stunned.

Nodding slowly, Taekwoon pulled the latter closer and buried his face within the thick mop of sweet smelling hair. He could get used to doing this every night.

“I am.” He whispered. At last he is happy. That is the problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few days later...

Returning to his job routine with a small handicap, Taekwoon is met with many unhappy superiors and peers. They were complaining about him being too distracted of late and they wanted to know why.

Taekwoon’s reply is as cold as when they first met him. Never been more aloof in fact. Their constant haranguing is making his head hurt so he had shut them out altogether. Talks about another attack. Blathers about how they must re-evaluate the stalemate and continue with their advances. Taekwoon wants no part in their grand plans.

“Taekwoon sshi?” “Taekwoon.” Snapping their fingers as he stones at his seat, the officer chairing the meeting managed to get his attention by waving a hand in front of his face.

“I have something to attend to.” Standing up abruptly, Taekwoon excused himself with a swift bow. Leaving the room of frowning and displeased men, Taekwoon remained outside the room for a brief moment while they start debating within in regards to his disturbing behaviour. Even he finds his own mannerisms very questionable despite hardly ever voicing his opinions in meetings.

Running into the top in command on his way out of the gloomy building, Taekwoon stopped in his tracks since the old man is evidently approaching him with an unwavering eye contact. The man was his mentor. Which also accounted for his speedy promotion at such a young age, and why he was always the top favourite. His peers hated him because of the almost nepotism but as much as Taekwoon was favoured because of personal relations, he was an incredibly capable worker.

The man knew him and he, the man. The man was never a good person per se. Evil even. Yet he saw great potential in the Taekwoon. Taekwoon was very much like him after all, so they hit off pretty quickly. The man was also a close family friend and had been the one supporting him in whatever he did.

“Taekwoon.” The man started and the younger man bowed, bending his knees a little to the side for the sake of maintaining eye level with the shorter old man.

“My boy... I have heard a lot of unpleasant things about you lately.” The man whispered into Taekwoon’s ears. He may appear extremely amiable but his tone is hostile and sinister. Taekwoon knows him too well to expect anything delightful at all.

Drawing his sword since he still depended on his deadly blade for combat, the older man brandished it smoothly with an diabolical glint in his eyes, reflecting indescribable menace. “You were like my sword. So deadly. So perfectly sharp and polished... something is making you blunt. Distracted. Too contented.” He added with a sort of mocking sadness.

“Is it the trophy? I heard you brought one home with you.” The man asked in a very straightforward manner, pursing his lips as he slides the weapon back into its sheath.

Taekwoon narrowed his eyes while clenching his fists. “You are in love...” the man probed mercilessly. As much as Taewkwoon is not easily decipherable, the man can easily read him like a book.

Taekwoon immediately raised an eyebrow and looked him in the eye. Despite their relationship, challenging the man was also what Taekwoon did often. The ghost of his belligerent and truculent self still lingered.

“I expected more from you. Pull yourself together or I will have to do it for you.” The man hissed while patting the younger man on his broad shoulders. Weighing the younger man down on purpose.

Bowing, Taekwoon managed the most expressionless face he could muster. Watching the man leave, he found himself scampering with a bad leg. Bolting back home. He had been careless enough to let his emotions show. He was taught never to reveal his emotions. Hongbin is in grave danger now that they have their eyes set on him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“To: Kim Wonshik

    I know I have failed to deliver Hongbin through the tunnel but I desperately need to deport him. He is in danger and I cannot protect him.

I will need your cooperation to succeed. There is no ill intentions this time as with the last and it is imperative that you reply as soon as possible.

I have attached a map for your reference. Meet me at the demarcated zone on the second night of this month.”

Scribbling the letter in a haste and slipping a highly confidential map into the envelope together with it, Taekwoon knows the risk of disclosing this information. He had just abused the use of his military authority and if anyone were to discover his act of treason, both he and Hongbin would be goners.

Bribing his most trusted aide and subordinate to deliver the letter, Taekwoon went to bed all paranoid. Loading all of the personal weapons he owns, he also opened up the hidden pathway leading to an underground cellar and hid Hongbin in it.

His own personal war had just begun. As soon as Wonshik replies, he would bring Hongbin to the only point at the border which remained unsecured. Even though the heavens seem to be in favour of him keeping Hongbin by his side, something has to give.