Eleven

Syndrome. Stockholm.

Hi again everyone! ^^

It was my intention to end at this chapter but I digressed a little. The next chapter would be the last. ^^

Thank you all for your comments (feedback) and subscriptions. I hope I'm not being too repetitive. Have a nice day everyone!

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

“Boss... You are back? ... Are you alright?” Spotting Wonshik enter the premises of the only functional base dressed smartly in his worn out battle gear, every soldier who knew him could not believe their eyes.

The last time they saw him, he was drunk and swimming in his own vomit. This transformation is simply mind boggling. Watching him head over to the maps and scribble on it furiously, they approached him with caution. Tapping his finger on a particular spot repeatedly, the man clenched his jaws and finally backs away.

“Come with me.” Turning to speak to a few of his loyal subordinates, Wonshik got the permission he needed to borrow the military vehicle and drove them off into the dimming horizon.

Not bothering to explain his intentions, he simply gave his followers a reassuring pat on their shoulders. Taekwoon would be waiting by the rocky formation with Hongbin. He can feel it in his guts. That area consist of various uneven terrains which are too tough to barricade at the moment, therefore it is highly likely that they would be able to go through with the exchange successfully.

Taekwoon would know about that place and he wouldn’t be playing around with this information. Wonshik had been hopping mad when Taekwoon hadn’t delivered Hongbin previously but he did overhear a couple of soldiers talking about fending off two refugees trying to infiltrate the south. He wasn’t able to help Taekwoon and that is on him. Now, he is determined to help Taekwoon succeed.

It is not everyday that Taekwoon would offer to return Hongbin. He sounded so earnest in his letters despite being incredibly confrontational every time the duo met. Wonshik had chosen to believe him yet again. Hongbin’s parents are asking for Hongbin a whole lot nowadays and they are getting worried. Wonshik had almost revealed the latter’s location in a drunken stupor.

Arriving early into the evening, just before the sun sets completely, Wonshik did a quick surveillance of the area and found a good spot to settle down. The perimeter to cover is big so he did a rough gauge of where Taekwoon would probably appear with Hongbin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile...

Sitting together in the cramp space of the dark chilly cellar, Taekwoon and Hongbin ate in silence. Sharing food once in a while, Hongbin is mostly the one to slip chunks of meat onto Taekwoon’s plate. The young man had been under lock up for two whole days but he is not complaining since the older man is lounging in with him.

The cellar is cold and not easily accessible yet the injured Taekwoon would descend that narrow staircase every night with an exaggerated amount of blankets. Despite the inconvenience, he would spend the night down there with Hongbin as well. Holding the latter close to his warm body. Taekwoon had an incredibly warm body despite looking like he is made of ice.

This evening is no exception. Looking more troubled than usual, the older man’s hands never left the other’s smaller frame. Be it resting on his shoulder, head, thighs or back, his usually warm hands felt unusually cool and clammy today.

Just as the clock in the living area above struck eight, Taekwoon had left and returned with a pile of clothes in his hands. Passing a set of clothes to Hongbin and watching him expectantly, the conditioned young man knew immediately that he is required to change. Turning so his back is facing Taekwoon, Hongbin automatically stripped himself of the hardly presentable dual layers of top and bottom he was wearing.

Meddling with the shirt button as he sits cross legged in just his underpants, all the hair on his skin stood the moment he felt Taekwoon’s hands travel down to his slim waist. Caressing the skin there in a forlorn manner, Hongbin shuddered ever so slightly when the hands moved upwards to rest at the side of his ribcage.

The older man then migrated his hands upwards to cup his jawline from behind. Tempted as he is to turn around, he can see the older man’s face from the reflection of the dusty antique mirror stashed away near him. Taekwoon is crying and Hongbin can feel the slight tremors via his palms as they drag against his skin.

Dropping the shirt, Hongbin huddled up and pulled his lower limbs against his bare chest. He knows exactly what is going to happen after he is done changing. This is exactly like a flashback. Prior to their trip to the tunnel, Hongbin was also made to change out.

There is no sun setting at this time of the day which meant he is definitely not changing out to go catch the sunset with Taekwoon. The man is going to attempt to deport him yet again.

Refusing to change, Taekwoon noticed Hongbin’s sudden display of defiance and shifted closer to him from behind. Reaching past him for the shirt, Hongbin surprised the man by holding onto it tightly. Unwilling to release his grip, Taekwoon had to pry it from his already whitened knuckles. “Please don’t make this anymore difficult for me.” Taekwoon whispered.

Manipulating Hongbin’s rigid tensed limbs in an attempt to put his shirt on for him, Taekwoon enveloped him in a back hug in order to help him button up. Spinning around with a brisk twirling motion of his torso, Hongbin rammed his body into the other’s. Caught off guard, Taekwoon careened to his side while the smaller person tried to scale his trunk like he were a tree.

“I don’t want to go!” Hongbin begged pitifully as he lay with his face buried in Taekwoon’s abdomen. The older man had to void himself of all emotions in order to not crack.

Taekwoon have no idea what is holding Hongbin back but Hongbin’s reaction is exactly as he had anticipated and he was right to have spiked the latter’s dinner with sleeping pills.

They sat for a long moment and Hongbin was subsequently unable to keep a clear head. Taekwoon then proceeded to continue dressing up his younger counterpart once the person is out cold.

This is pure torture. He cannot help but feel like dying every step of the way. However, no sacrifice is too big for Hongbin’s safety. “Good boy... Go to sleep. Your nightmares will be over once you wake up. I will be gone and you will be happy again.” Taekwoon whispered into Hongbin’s ear before hauling him into a piggyback.

Exiting the cellar with a commendable amount of effort, Taekwoon’s thigh wound no longer hurts. However, his heart is currently shredded and exsanguinating. Transferring the sleeping Hongbin into the passenger seat of his jeep, Taekwoon swaddled the younger man up further and hit the accelerator.

Reaching the border after evading all the possible patrol points, Taekwoon carried Hongbin bridal style and exited his vehicle. Taking a long look just so he could etch Hongbin’s face into his memory forever, he headed towards the rocky formations. Only god would know when he would get to see Hongbin again. 

Ducking in and out of the crevices and deep valley-like cracks between the granites, Taekwoon was finally out of the north at last. Setting feet onto the uninvaded southern soil for the first time. He had fought for this piece of land. He was so driven back then. The need to win was so crucial before, now it felt as if the battle was all for naught.

His mind is a blank at the moment as he remains frozen in a rather unshielded area. He even overlooked the fact that someone might spot him. Bogged down by the thought of parting ways with Hongbin, everything else seemed so irrelevant at the moment. He would rather someone shoot and killed him. At least he would not have to live the rest of his live pining for Hongbin. At least he would not need to live with the pain.

Perhaps this is the best punishment for him. Hongbin’s perfect revenge. Taekwoon may have possessed Hongbin’s body, but Hongbin owned his heart. He had become Hongbin’s slave. Hongbin’s beast. Hongbin had tamed him but he can never have Hongbin. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spotting Taekwoon spacing out in the open, Wonshik immediately leapt into action. He is not concerned about Taekwoon pulling off any tricks on him since he appears to be the only one with Hongbin. After all, he can see latter in the man’s arms. Hongbin does not seem to be moving and that is the only problem for Wonshik.

Approaching hastily with his gun aimed directly between Taekwoon’s eyes, Wonshik signalled for his own to have his back. They advanced slowly and Taekwoon finally snapped out of his trance upon noticing them. It is already dark after all and the foggy skies are starting to snow. That further dampened Taekwoon’s mood and he is in no condition to be talking.

Wonshik seemed to have many questions he wanted to ask but Taekwoon’s deadpan face was enough for him to keep to himself. “You’ve hurt him.” Wonshik said in a questioning manner and Taekwoon simply glared at him. Moving in to snatch the sleeping latter from Taekwoon’s embrace, Wonshik retreated from before the older man quickly.

“Hongbin ah!” Patting Hongbin on his face once they are at his vehicle but unable to illicit a response, Wonshik raised his firearm with the intention to end Taekwoon prematurely. “BOSS. PULSE IS PRESENT!”

Hearing this, his fingers remained frozen against the trigger for some reason as he witnesses the man trudge off back towards the north. It is still unbelievable that Taekwoon would simply return his friend just like that. Alive and well. Was Taekwoon not planning to stay? Why? Wonshik was prepared to arrest him for war crimes but since he is not planning on staying, he still belonged to the north. Wonshik would not be warranted whatsoever to bring him in. 

Racing back to Hongbin’s side and getting down onto his knees, Wonshik quickly unravelled the thick layers of blanket to ensure whatever is beneath remained intact. There is not a single bruise in sight and all of the old wounds have healed. Hongbin have never looked healthier. The signs of the past war had been erased as well.

Wrapping the latter back up with relief and all smiles after what felt like ages, Wonshik noticed the letter tucked away neatly in Hongbin’s coat pocket. He instinctively takes it and rips open the simple envelope.

The handwriting belonged to Taekwoon. He knows through the couple of letters he had received.

“To: Hongbin

    I have too many things I want to say to you but they aren’t coming out. However, all of my thoughts revolves around one word. Sorry. I am sorry.

  You mean the world to me, that is all I need you to know. If I were given a chance to treat you better, I would give it my all to make you the happiest person on earth. I regret the way we met but I will never regret meeting you.

  You are special. So very unique and I have no words to describe how much you’ve kept me bewitched. I cannot live without you... but that is also the reason why you need to leave. I will only continue to hurt you.

  I have realised that my selfishness will only cause you more harm than good. It is also time to make things right. You are so loved. Please forget about me and all that I have done to you.

I love you. Goodbye.

Taekwoon.”

Eyeing the letter, Wonshik slipped it back into Hongbin’s coat. Hongbin deserved to receive Taekwoon’s apology. He will give Taekwoon a final chance to redeem himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Waking up in his own room was not the least therapeutic for Hongbin. It was near evening by the time he roused. Wonshik had deposited him back home upon arriving and one of his colleague had kindly popped by to examine him on the man’s request. Hongbin is in the pink of health much to everyone’s relief and Wonshik had never been more thankful to the heavens.

Wonshik had been waiting in the living area for his awakening and so were the rest of his family. The moment he emerged from the room, the mini crowd is on him like nosy reporters. Questioning him about his disappearance and whatever possible adventures he might have gone through, Wonshik functioned as a gatekeeper for those particularly direct questions.

Not keen for them to remind Hongbin of his probably traumatic stay, Wonshik ended up bringing Hongbin out. Headed for a consult with his personal psychiatrist. The man had helped Wonshik out of his dark phase. He was very successful at helping Wonshik deal with his psychological stress before. He was also the reason why Wonshik stopped drinking altogether.

Hongbin would definitely benefit from his treatments and they won’t even need an appointment since the psychiatrist is now very affiliated with Wonshik. This person is a family friend who had recently returned from the states after obtaining his degree in psychiatry. Returning home to be reunited with his family during the civil war in fear of their safety.

“Jaehwannie!” “I need your help.” Holding Hongbin by his hand as he barges into the man’s home, Wonshik looked around slightly and found the man as he was exiting the toilet.

Handing Hongbin over to the man, Wonshik mouthed “he is Hongbin” and Jaehwan nodded slowly. Eyes never leaving the latter who had returned to cowering behind Wonshik.

“Jaehwan meet Hongbin. Hongbin meet Jaehwan.” The man tried as naturally as possible. "He will help you forget all about Jung Taekwoon."