Chapter 7

What Hurts the Most
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They ran.

And ran.

Ryeowook had absolutely no idea if Siwon was still chasing them or where in the world they were headed. All he knew was that it never felt better. Running away from Siwon, tasting this sweet taste of freedom, never felt better. Thunder roared in the dark skies above them and Ryeowook leaped, finally stopping in his tracks. He felt it then, the first drop of rain. And then it begun drizzling, the sounds of raindrops patting against the pathways.

“It’s raining!” Ryeowook pointed out, as if it wasn’t the obvious. But yet, he didn’t make a move to find a shelter.

“You don’t look too troubled by it,” Kyuhyun laughed, his fringe getting wet from the rain.

“It feels like it’s washing away all my troubles.” Ryeowook responded, stretching out his palms wide open to feel the raindrops against his hands. “It makes me feel better.”

Kyuhyun grinned and glanced back, “Do you think Siwon is still chasing us?”

“I don’t know but let’s just keep running,” Ryeowook giggled, hand reaching out for Kyuhyun.

They held hands and continued running, past trees and buildings, past people with umbrellas shaking their heads and judging them. All the while, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun were laughing, giggling as they avoiding people with umbrellas, the both of them thinking that this was too silly and yet, at the same time, oddly therapeutic.

When they heard another thunder and spotted a lighting in the sky, Kyuhyun decided that they had to seek shelter. He pulled Ryeowook towards a small white gazebo in the middle of the park for shelter. Once they were finally out of the rain, Ryeowook giggled and shook the water out of his hair. Kyuhyun watched Ryeowook with a silly smile plastered over his face. How could someone so small be so adorable? And after everything that had just happened – Ryeowook tackling Siwon to protect him Kyuhyun swore no one could ever be as brave as Ryeowook.

The events of everything that had happened finally hit him and Kyuhyun became nervous now. Ryeowook was still running his hand through his hair and damp clothes. Kyuhyun realized that they were still holding hands, their fingers perfectly fitting against each other’s. Kyuhyun tugged Ryeowook’s hands and shifted so that he was standing in front of Ryeowook.

“Are you okay?” Kyuhyun asked, worry evident in his voice. “Did he hurt you?”

Ryeowook shook his head. “No.”

“How do you feel?” Kyuhyun asked once more, gazing at Ryeowook with full concern.

Ryeowook’s face was black and Kyuhyun’s heart almost dropped into his guts. But then, a huge smile spread across the smalelr’s face and Kyuhyun’s lips mirrored it.

“I’ve never felt this… This…” Ryeowook trailed off, shaking his head. “I just feel so good, Kyuhyun. And I don’t know why.”

Kyuhyun inspected Ryeowook, “And you don’t even feel sad? Or… Angry?”

“I’m angry that he tried to hit you. I’m sorry about that. But I’m not sad. I know I’m supposed to be but I’m…. Not.”

Kyuhyun gathered Ryeowook into his arms and hugged him tight. “You do realize that I’ll never let you meet him again after this, don’t you?”

Ryeowook hugged Kyuhyun. “I know.”

“And you’re okay with it?”

Ryeowook looked up at Kyuhyun, “I’m okay as long as I know that he’ll never hurt you.”

“Ryeowook… This isn’t about him just hurting me. It’s about him hurting you too.”

Ryeowook nodded. “Kyuhyun… I never had the courage to walk away from him. All this time… Whenever I wanted to walk away, whenever I tried, I was too afraid. I was afraid if no one would love me again, I was afraid of being lost.”

“But after spending time today with you at the orphanage, I realized that there’s nothing to be afraid of. I’ve a home and a family at the orphanage, I’ve my passion of music that I know will never leave me and,” Ryeowook paused, his cheeks slightly turning pink, “I have you.”

“I realized that there isn’t anything to lose anymore and that what hurts the most in life is seeing the ones you love getting hurt. If I continued to let Siwon control, abuse and hurt me, then I would let him hurt the people who loves me as well.”

Kyuhyun sighed in rel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter