Chapter 3

What Hurts the Most
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ryeowook rejected Kyuhyun’s offer.

Instead, he invited Kyuhyun over to his apartment.

Ryeowook was tired from working all day, not having the mood to face the world any more. He wanted to get home and just crash in his bed. But he felt apologetic. His neighbour had accompanied him, going to the extent of letting him stay in his car for warmth and comfort while he was waiting for his boyfriend who bailed on him last minute – something that Ryeowook was already too accustomed too.

He poured Kyuhyun a glass of wine thankful that he had kept some chilled in his fridge before leaving today. It was honestly meant for his date with Siwon but since his boyfriend had last minute work to do in the office, he might as well put it to good use. Ryeowook honestly much preferred beer over wine, only drinking it for his boyfriend’s sake. But it seemed his neighbour liked it too, as he closed his eyes, in contentment after taking a sip.

“This is really good,” Kyuhyun complimented.

“It’s one of Siwon’s favourites.” Ryeowook told him, smiling affectionately.

Kyuhyun nodded. “Ah, were you supposed to have plans with him tonight?”

Ryeowook nodded, not giving any other detail about their cancelled date. His neighbour seemed to notice this and instead, his eyes lingered around Ryeowook’s apartment. Kyuhyun complimented on how homey and cosy Ryeowook’s apartment looked and joked about how different it was compared to his own, whereas Ryeowook had just moved in. Ryeowook laughed softly, telling him that he spent a week excessively tidying it up before he starting finding a job.

Kyuhyun continued conversing with Ryeowook, something that Ryeowook found appealing about his new neighbour. Ryeowook was a reserved person, he avoided talking much. People usually hated making conversation with him, he realized. He had no idea how to respond to them anyway so it never mattered, he preferred it that way. But his neighbour was different. Kyuhyun was friendly and kind. He offered his guest room for Ryeowook to sleep in the first time they met and that itself was enough for Ryeowook to know that he had a very kind neighbour. Ryeowook was thankful.

While Kyuhyun drank and talked, Ryeowook’s realized that it was the first time he ever had another man other than Siwon in his apartment. He froze at that thought. Was it considered cheating, having another man over without the permission of your boyfriend? His fingers found his shirt, twirling it nervously shifting in his seat uncomfortably. If Siwon found out….

His neighbour must have noticed that he was starting to look uneasy. Kyuhyun gulped down the rest of his drink. “I should get going, you must be exhausted. Thank you for the drink.”

Ryeowook shook his head sincerely, “I should be the one thanking you.”

Kyuhyun waved his hand and shrugged. “It’s no big deal. We live next to each other after all.”

Ryeowook nodded, following Kyuhyun to the door. When he unlocked and opened it, Kyuhyun stepped out. He smiled at Ryeowook, thanking him and wishing him goodnight. When Kyuhyun turned around to head for his own apartment across the hall, he stopped in his tracks. Kyuhyun turned around on his heel, awkwardly running a hand through his chocolate brown hair.

“Hey, I… Umm…” Kyuhyun stuttered, stepping towards Ryeowook. “Should we… I mean… Since we’re neighbours… I… Should we exchange numbers? Just in case… You know…”

Ryeowook looked at Kyuhyun, confused.

“Of any emergency.” Kyuhyun continued, his cheeks turning pink.

“Oh!” Ryeowook nodded, though he had no idea what kind of emergency there would be. “Right, we should.”

Once they were done exchanging numbers, Kyuhyun returned to his apartment. Ryeowook closed the door behind him and leaned against it. Had he just gave his number to another man? He had absolutely no idea what Kyuhyun was talking about, having not lived on his own all this time, having not lived like this at all. It was a first, all of this - having neighbours, living on his own, living in an apartment. Ryeowook took a deep breath, calming himself. Kyuhyun probably had good intentions. He was just being a good neighbour and Ryeowook was being equally generous. At least now he could contact Kyuhyun if there were to be any emergency that were to happen… Whatever that meant. It didn’t mean anything and if his boyfriend asked why he had another man’s phone number in his contacts, Ryeowook could just simply explained to him what Kyuhyun said. Siwon wouldn’t get mad.

Siwon would definitely understand….

….

Would he?

***

Another long day at work.

Taking off his apron, Ryeowook sighed. He had never worked as a waiter before. He never thought that the work would be extremely demanding. He was on his feet almost all day long, straining his muscles carrying heavy dishes here and there. Sometimes, customers made his day – smiling and politely thanking him, giving him generous amount of tips. Other times, they made Ryeowook’s work a living hell.

Today was one of those days.

A living hell.

The customers had all been rude and impatient. Was it because it was a Monday and that everyone was having a bad case of Monday Blues? Whatever it was, Ryeowook was out of breath after standing for almost fou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter