Chapter 1

What Hurts the Most
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Love.

Cho Kyuhyun believed that love existed, he’d seen his friends around him being in love, he knew what it was like to be in love, fall in love. He watched enough movies, read and wrote enough books to master what it was like.

But he’d never personally experienced it in all his twenty-eight life.

Kyuhyun dated, sure he did. A lot. But that was pretty much it. He never bothered to put in extra effort into a relationship. The girls that dated him always wanted something more exclusive and it suffocated Kyuhyun. The men that dated Kyuhyun on the other hand were sometimes too clingy or too dominating. Kyuhyun hated it. Maybe it was because he hadn’t found the right one or maybe because, Kyuhyun had dated too many that he had gotten used to breaking up after a short period of time.

Often times, love would be described as warm and with a happy ending. In movies and in books, whenever characters fall in love, audiences look forward to the happy ending at the very end.  Yes, there were those rare few that ended up a different kind of ending, one where the characters love was not able to be reciprocated, or where the character dies in the end, but those kind of endings, the ones that seemed more realistic were always criticized brutally. People today were impractical, preferring to believe that they all deserved happy ending and that it was bound to happen to them, sooner or later. 

Kyuhyun never believed in happy ending. He believed in love but not in happy endings. It was weird. Maybe it was because his parents had divorced from when he was young and how he spent his childhood watching his mother cry her eyes out every single day. Maybe it was because he never quite understood what happy ending really meant, what defined happy ending.

Ironic as it was that he did not believed in happy endings, they were what skyrocketed Kyuhyun’s writing career. Kyuhyun had been writing all his life. His books were mostly fiction. He wrote adventures about aliens, ghosts, robots, anything that his creative mind allowed him to. But none of them got sold much. Until one day, after attending his best friend’s wedding that he decided to put aside his wild creative mind for a simple romantic novel that ended up with a romantic wedding by the Hawaiian Beach. His career blew up then, calls coming from publishers, reporters, fans telling him that they all loved it. From then on, Kyuhyun started writing romantic novels and funny enough, he found that only those with the extravagant exaggerated happy endings sold better.  

But as long as his career was on track and that he was doing something he loved – writing, Kyuhyun could put aside his view of happy endings aside. 

Kyuhyun yawned wide, stretching his sore arms out as he pushed himself off his couch. God knows for how long he had already been sitting down and typing on his laptop. He was working on his latest story, the one where his publicist had read a snippet of the first half of the story and grinned at him from ear to ear. Changmin, his publicist and his best friend, was damned sure that this was going to be another big hit. When Kyuhyun’s stomach growled for attention, he decided some snacks wouldn’t hurt. It was an hour after midnight and Kyuhyun wouldn’t have ate since he usually stopped eating after midnight but he had been too busy writing that he missed dinner.

The tall man stopped in his tracks when a loud banging was heard right outside his apartment. Kyuhyun spun to the door and grimaced when the loud banging sound was accompanied by angry shouts. Curious and annoyed, Kyuhyun headed for the door and pulled it open. His neighbour had moved out a long time leaving the house opposite of his empty for almost a month now. Kyuhyun was curious who it could have been since there were only two apartment on one floor.

There were two men standing outside in the hallway. One in full dark green suit while another in a maroon sweater and dark blue jeans. The taller one, the one in the suit had his hands on his hips, his handsome face etched with furious annoyed lines. Kyuhyun couldn’t see the other’s face since his back was facing Kyuhyun. When the taller one spotted Kyuhyun by the door however, he stopped shouting.

“Oh umm, hi there.” Kyuhyun cleared his throat awkwardly, “I.. Uh… I just wanted to check what was going on. Is… Is everything alright?”

The one who had his back to Kyuhyun finally turned around and Kyuhyun could catch a glimpse of his face before he ducked down, probably embarrassed.

“We’re sorry.” The taller one bowed politely, “I’m Siwon and this is Ryeowook.”

“My boyfriend is moving in and I’m just helping him with some stuff.” The one whose name was Siwon explained. “I hope we weren’t too loud.”

“Oh,” Kyuhyun shook his head. “It’s okay, I was just curious. I’m Kyuhyun.”

“Kyuhyun-shi, we’re really sorry for the noise. We must have woken you up.”

“Oh no no, it’s alright, I was actually just catching up on some work.”  Kyuhyun tiptoed around to glimpse at his new neighbours open apartment door. “Um, do you need any help?”

“No, it’s alright.” Siwon waved his hands, smiling with a set of deep di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter