Chapter 5

What Hurts the Most
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Your ringtone seriously have got to go,”

Ryeowook smiled apologetically at Kyuhyun before pushing himself off the stool he was sitting on and heading towards his room, closing the door behind him. Kyuhyun stared emptily, so used to being left alone at this point of time to think of anything else. No doubt, it was Siwon again checking up on Ryeowook.

The guy was barely away for a week and he was already calling Ryeowook every two to three hour. It was insane. Wasn’t he on a business trip or something? And why was he always checking up on Ryeowook so frequently? Kyuhyun waited, taping his fingers against the counter impatiently as he took a sip from his wine glass. Siwon had been gone for six days now and Kyuhyun’s been grabbing every chance he got. He’d knock on Ryeowook’s door early in the morning to ask him for breakfast or just a morning stroll and then in the afternoon or at night, invite him for a drink. Ryeowook was always hesitant but in the end, he always gave in to Kyuhyun.

The more Kyuhyun spent more time with Ryeowook, the more Kyuhyun was able to peel his layers one by one and the closer Kyuhyun got to knowing more about the real Ryeowook, the closer he felt like he was on the edge of falling for the man. Ryeowook was… Ryeowook was kind, both inside and outside. He must have a heart made out of gold because how else would he be so kind and perfect at the same time.

Kyuhyun learnt that Ryeowook grew up in an orphanage and once he was eighteen, Ryeowook continued staying there. He worked as a music instructor to the younger children in the orphanage. Ryeowook never planned to leave the place, ever. He loved the people there, it was his home and the kids at the orphanages were like his own brothers and sisters, his own family. But he met Siwon one day and everything changed. Siwon brought him into the real world and now, here he was. Siwon had bought Ryeowook an apartment and he wanted the man to experience life outside the orphanage and Ryeowook thought that it was awfully sweet and thoughtful even if he admitted to being uncomfortable with the new changes.

Even though Ryeowook admitted to Siwon being a little rough with him, he was always careful talking about his relationship with Siwon. The way he talked about Siwon sounded like it was all being memorized sometimes and other times, Ryeowook would just brush off a question Kyuhyun had about the rich and handsome boyfriend. Kyuhyun hated it. At first he hated not getting the answers he wanted, he needed. But after some time, he realized that he hated it because he wished that there was someone like Ryeowook in his life whose eyes would light up protectively at the mention of his name , Kyuhyun wished that it was him instead of Siwon Ryeowook had the look for.

It was silly honestly, Kyuhyun’s attraction to Ryeowook. Kyuhyun guessed it was maybe perhaps the man was innocent and rather adorable looking and Kyuhyun always had a thing for those types of men. But Kyuhyun would be lying if he didn’t admit realizing that Ryeowook was his exact ideal type, that Ryeowook was the one. Ryeowook was all his main characters in his books combined. Ryeowook was the man he always thought of in his head whenever he wrote a book; sweet, kind, loves children, smelt like different kinds of flowers in the day and sweet wine in the night, good-natured, soft-spoken but with a good sense of humour, adorable, absolutely beautiful and have a smile that could light up the whole world.

When Ryeowook returned minutes later, he smiled softly and slipped his phone into the back of his jeans. “Sorry Kyu, that was Siwon.”

“Is he calling to check on you again?” Kyuhyun muttered, blowing into his wine glass. “What are you, his five-year old son?”

Ryeowook shook his head, “He’s just worried, that’s all.”

“About what?”

“Nothing, just being overprotective.” Ryeowook shrugged.

 “There’s a huge difference between being overprotective and being over controlling, honey.” Kyuhyun laughed, sipping onto his drink again. “And being overly insane.”

Ryeowook shook his head, standing up and taking the glass from Kyuhyun’s hand who protested in a whine. Ryeowook smiled, bringing the glass over to the sink and then washing it. He returned to Kyuhyun who had his hands clasped under his chin, watching him intently. “I think you’ve had enough to drink for tonight.”

Kyuhyun laughed again, snorting every five second. Ryeowook couldn’t hold back his amused smile, giggling at the drunk writer. Kyuhyun wasn’t slurring and he was walking just fine. But he was being a little… Bold and Ryeowook knew that the writer must be drunk right now. Kyuhyun was usually shy and spoke softly with Ryeowook and Ryeowook really liked it.

“It’s time to get some sleep,” Ryeowook yawned, stretching his hands out. “I have work early in the morning tomorrow.”

“Do you want me to drive you?” Kyuhyun asked, giggling weirdly.

Ryeowook shook his head, “It’s fine. Come on, I’ll help you to your apartment.”

Kyuhyun stood just fine, pushing himself off the chair and towards the door. He knew he was drunk and he was annoyed for being drunk so quickly. He couldn’t control the words that flowed out of his mouth but at least he was walking fine. Kyuhyun headed to his door opposite of the wall and leaned against it, watching Ryeowook from across the hall.

“How do you do it?” Kyuhyun asked, peering down at Ryeowook under his lashes.

Ryeowook titled his head in confusion, “Do what?”

“Stand being with someone like Siwon.”

Ryeowook looked at Kyuhyun, stunned. His expression told Kyuhyun that he wasn’t expecting a question like this and that Kyuhun might have just said something wrong because Ryeowook’s lips formed a pout and his forehead wrinkled ever so slightly. Kyuhyun even dared think that Ryeowook was offended by his question.

“He’s perfect,” Ryeowook insisted.

“Not really, honey.” Kyuhyun chuckled darkly, running a hand through his hair. “He called you thirty-five times today.”

“You counted how many times my boyfriend called me?” Ryeowook stared at Kyuhyun in disbelief.

“Someone had to.”

God, Kyuhyun leave just leave. Open the door and get in your apartment, go. This conversation was going nowhere. But as much as Kyuhyun wanted to leave, he wanted to, he needed to know why. Why would someone like Ryeowook want Siwon? Why was Ryeowook settling for someone who didn’t deserve him?

“I… I think you’re cute and beautiful and kind and funny and just… great. So so… Great” Kyuhyun admitted, gripping the edge of his shirt. “And did I mention beautiful?”

Kyuhyun continued, hating himself for what he was going to say next. “But I just don’t get why you let yourself believe that you deserve Siwon.”

“Kyuhyun,” Ryeowook begun, hurt evident in his eyes. “You don’t even know Siwon. You don’t even know me.”

“I don’t have to know Siwon and you well enough to know that your whole relationship is messed up, it’s unhealthy. Lovers don’t hit each other. Ever.”

“And I don’t know how in the world you can still define Siwon as perfect. He’s far, far from perfect. Perfect is you, Kim Ryeowook. Not Siwon, never Siwon.”

Ryeowook’s eyes dropped as he gripped his doorknob, he gave Kyuhyun an exhausted smile and before closing the door he whispered quietly, “Is it for you, but not for me.”

***

When Kyuhyun woke up the next day, he cursed out loud.

.

The memories of last night flooded his mind and everything that Kyuhyun had said to Ryeowook replayed itself. Kyuhyun could still hear how disappointed and surprised Ryeowook was and how he looked so hurt and betrayed. God, he screwed up. He really did.

Kyuhyun decided that he needed to apologize to Ryeowook as soon as he could. Ryeowook needed to know that he… Ryeowook needed to know what exactly? That even if those words were harsh, he meant every single thing? Whatever it was he needed to find Ryeowook and apologize. He was rude and even if he had meant every single word, Kyuhyun should have been more careful with his words. Kyuhyun sat up, removing the comforter and then winced when his head started to throb. Ryeowook was at work and he wasn’t going to be coming back until the evening today, Kyuhyun remembered Ryeowook telling him that. Kyuhyun sighed, flopping back down on his bed. He needed a little bit more sleep, he figured. Maybe he would just go and meet Ryeowook tonight.

Kyuhyun woke up again a few hours later. He took a hot shower and then went around, cleaning the house for some time. All throughout, Kyuhyun thought of what he was going to say to Ryeowook later on, how he was going to apologize to the latter. But the more Kyuhyun rehearsed what he wanted to say, the more nervous he became. What if Ryeowook wouldn’t accept his apology? Worst, what if Ryeowook hated him for what he said?

Once he was done cleaning the house, Kyuhyun paced his house. He didn’t know how he long did it until he looked down t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter