Chapter 6

What Hurts the Most
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was almost nine when they finally cleared up all the mess from the event. It was a successful event and Ryeowook was glad that the orphanage children enjoyed it. Not only that, but they were also able to collect enough funds to go ahead with their plan to extend the orphanage and build in more rooms for the children’s comfort. Ryeowook was glad it worked out fine.

Ryeowook walked along the hallways of the orphanage, hands in his pockets as he stared across the pictures on the along the walkway. This orphanage was his home and those kids in the pictures, they were all his family. Some of them had left the orphanage but the others still stayed while the ones that left often came back to visit. Ryeowook on the other hand… He wanted to come down and visit as often as he could, he wanted to stay here and if he could, he wanted to work here… But… Ryeowook sighed.

“Working in an orphanage won’t bring you anywhere, Wookie.”

Siwon had said that once to him. Ryeowook admit that he was a little offended by the handsome man. Why wouldn’t working in an orphanage bring him anyway? Work was still work. But when he thought about it, Siwon was kind of right. Ryeowook would never be able to experience what it was like out there in the real world if he continued staying in the orphanage. But at the same time… That didn’t mean he had to stop visiting the orphanage.

Ryeowook took a deep breath as he traced a picture on the wall with his fingertips. It was a picture of him, Kangin and Henry when they were still kids. The three of them were inseparable back then. Ryeowook was the innocent one while Kangin and Henry were always up to no good and always dragged Ryeowook into their silly pranks. They protected each other whenever they got into trouble and Ryeowook felt that it didn’t matter if they were not related, Ryeowook was going to consider them as his family for the rest of his life. Kangin and Henry each had their own lives outside the orphanage but they still took the time to visit every time. They met up with each other regularly and it saddened him that he had to reject their calls to him every time they called him.  It wasn’t Ryeowook’s intention to ignore them. But sometimes, it was just better that way. Siwon didn’t like it, he didn’t like any of it. He hated that Ryeowook came from an orphanage and he hated it whenever Ryeowook spoke about anything related to the orphanage.

“Hey there, Wook.”

Ryeowook glanced to the side and found Kyuhyun standing next to him. Ryeowook greeted him with a nod and returned his gaze back to the photos. But somehow, he couldn’t think of anything except Kyuhyun being next to him. He could feel the other’s warmth and smell the cologne of the other man and everything about Kyuhyun was suddenly so captivating.

“How did you find the event today?” Ryeowook asked quietly.

“It was fun,” Kyuhyun admitted, “I feel like bringing Areum and Haneul over the next time there’s an event like this here. The kids are really nice to play with and I bet Areum is going to make loads of new friends here.”

“Areum and Hanuel?”

“Oh right! They’re my best friend’s children. I think you’ve seen them once when you were…” Kyuhyun trailed off and then awkwardly ran a hand through his hair. “When you were fighting with Siwon outside your house.”

Ryeowook awkwardly looked away. He knew what Kyuhyun was talking about. “Ah… I see.”

There was silence before Kyuhyun cleared his throat, “We should better head on home, it’s getting late.”

Ryeowook nodded and without saying anything started walking ahead. Kyuhyun followed silently behind him and then stopped when he realized Ryeowook had stopped outside a room.

“Music room?” Kyuhyun read aloud.

“Can you give me a minute, Kyuhyun?” Ryeowook asked softly.

“Of course,” Kyuhyun replied.

Ryeowook smiled and his heart begun thumping as he pushed open the door. It had been too long since he had stepped into this room. This was Ryeowook’s favourite place in the world. This was his safe haven. Ryeowook always felt like he could always be himself whenever he was in this room.

Everything was still in its place. Nothing had changed except for the fact that the orphanage had included a few more instruments at the side of the room. There was now a drum set and a few guitars and Ryeowook wondered if it was donated or if the orphanage had managed to buy it. Ryeowook spotted his favourite instrument at the end of the room and he strode over with a smile of his face. Ryeowook took a seat and lifted the lid off, brushing his fingers against the white keys.

“You probably miss playing, don’t you?” Ryeowook heard someone asking from behind.

Ryeowook turned around, surprised to see that Kyuhyun had followed him into the music room. He nodded, eyes travelling over Kyuhyun’s body leaning against the walls of the room. He looked handsome with his hair tousled from work all day and the moonlight spilling in from the windows resting against his very fair skin. His eyes shone as he stared at Ryeowook and Ryeowook shivered slightly at the intensity of those eyes.

“How did you know that I play the piano?” Ryeowook asked, curious. He had never mentioned it to Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun smiled, “Whenever we watch movies… I saw how you’d always tap your fingers against your thighs every time there was a song. It looked like you were playing an instrument and I figured tht it was probably the piano.”

Ryeowook was completely taken off guard. Kyuhyun had noticed that?

“Can you play something for me?” Kyuhyun asked, grinning.

“I… I don’t think I can still play it. It’s been a long time.”

“Oh come on,” Kyuhyun urged, “No one ever forgets how to go about doing something they love doing.”

“Just give it a try, Ryeowook.”

Ryeowook hesitantly nodded. He didn’t want to give it a try. It had been too long. Ryeowook was afraid. What if he had forgotten how to play the piano? Would it bother him so much that he had forgotten to do the one thing he loved most in his life? Ryeowook took a deep breath. He wanted to walk away but Kyuhyun was right there, waiting and the way his eyes shone ever so hopefully took Ryeowook’s breath away. Ryeowook didn’t want to disappoint Kyuhyun, he never wanted to.

And so he played.

Ryeowook’s fingers moved on their own as he hummed to the melody. It was a simple song, something that he had taught the kids all the time back then since it was the simplest. Ryeowook couldn’t help the smile that formed on his lips as his fingers found their own way, pressing the keys on their own, ever so naturally. He remembered every single bit of it, every single melody, and every single note.

Once Ryeowook was done, Kyuhyun applauded loudly and pushed himself off the wall, walking towards Ryeowook with a huge grin on his face. “That was great!”

Ryeowook felt his cheeks grow warm, “Thank you.”

“Can you play another song?” Kyuhyun asked, looking down at Ryeowook like a five years old asking for a candy.

Ryeowook laughed, finding it absolutely adorable. He waved over Kyuhyun, “Come here then, take a seat next to me and I’ll teach you how to play some songs.”

“You’ll teach me?”

“Yeah,” Ryeowook laughed as Kyuhyun excitedly took a seat next to him on the small bench.

“I’ve got to warn you though, I at anything that has do with a musical instrument.”

“You haven’t even tried!”

“Oh, I did back in elementary school. I joined a band because of a bet with my stupid friends. I was so bad at playing all the instruments that they made me play a triangle and then eventually breaking it.”

Ryeowook’s jaw fell wide open, “You broke the triangle?”

Kyuhyun smiled sheepishly, “To be fair, no one taught me how to use that damn thing.”

“And so you broke it?”

“Well…”

Ryeowook shook his head and laughed. He then pointed at one of the keys and then told Kyuhyun, “Well, I’m going to teach you how to play a piano so you won’t end up breaking it. Here, press that key.”

“This one?”

Ryeowook nodded and then begun explaining to Kyuhyun the different notes and begun teaching him some simple songs. It was funny being with Kyuhyun and teaching him to play the piano because Kyuhyun was so bad at it. He couldn’t even memorized the different notes. But despite that, Ryeowook found himself giggling over Kyuhyun’s silly antics and question, laughing out loud every time Kyuhyun did something wrong. It was honestly too cute.

Ryeowook and Kyuhyun lost track of time, both of them having fun during their piano lesson. Ryeowook and Kyuhyun slightly jumped when they noticed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter