Hello

"Promise..."

The sun shone through the windows as morning came. Even though it was fall the sun was still warm and called you to get up.

 

You opened your eyes slowly, taking in your surroundings little by little. It was 8 am and you wanted to keep sleeping, but clearly the day had other ideas.

 

Yawning, you grab your phone to check for anything from your mom or the people you called friends. Fortunately there was nothing from them but no messages from your mom.

 

“Odd,” you thought to yourself “she normally calls me or texts. But I guess she’s pretty busy.”

 

After taking your medication, you got out of bed and went downstairs to find something to eat.

 

 

 

***

 

 

“Get up! Get up! GET UP!” Hoshi was awake and ready to go by the time he was yelling at his hyung and dongsaeng.

 

Joshua sat up slowly and sleepily glared at the younger. “Hoshi I swear if you don’t’ shut up now I’ll hit a high note that’ll break your ears.”

 

“Come on Joshua, you said we needed to get out more and to have more fun rather than just stay put in our dorm and study all day.”


Minghao, who was just waking up groaned and threw a pillow at the older. This caused Hoshi to flinch and hit the floor, hard, and for Joshua to start laughing.

 

“Hyung, stop. I admit that I wanted to go out but this kind of awakening is too much. Besides, I don’t think you can even act normal in a public place.”


Joshua, by now, was out of bed and getting dressed. “The8’s right. Hoshi you haven’t been out as much as we have and it would be crazy to try and have you act normal in public.”


Hoshi frowned at the two for a good 5 minutes before he took out his phone and made a call to  afriend who he knew would be up and around by now.

 

“Hosh?”

 

“Jihoon, how are you doing?”


“I’m good, just hanging out with the o--” Woozi stopped midsentence because he heard a loud thud from Hoshi’s line. “Is everything ok?”


“Good morning Woozi, yeah everything is fine. Hoshi just woke us up by screaming so The8 is currently hitting him with a pillow.”


Woozi sighed heavily but smiled because of his friends. “You guys need to help him get out more and find someone.”

 

It was at that moment when Hoshi grabbed his phone again and said, “That’s exactly why I called you. I wanted us all to go out for the day and have some fun.”


Woozi thought for a moment about the pros and cons of this. For one thing Hoshi was actually very awkward in public, even though many people did not see this. On the other hand it would be good for him to get out. Woozi knew that he was going to have to be very patient and guiding with Hoshi if he even wanted the other to get more mature in public.

 

“You still there?”


The latter sighed, “Yes, and ok let’s go out for the day. But Hoshi please follow what we say. It’s to keep you safe and from doing something stupid.”


Even though Jihoon couldn’t see it, he still knew that Hoshi was beaming and that Joshua and Minghao were internally groaning.

 

“Guys meet me at the pavilion in an hour. Come dressed in street clothes not your nice stuff Hoshi.”

 

“Of course, why would I not?”


Woozi shook his head, said good bye then hung up. “Today is going to be a lone day.”
 

 


***

 

 

Around 9, you got dressed and left the house to go find something to do other than stay home.

 

Going to downtown LA seemed nice enough for the moment and at least it wasn’t boring there. Like ever. Anyone could go downtown at anytime of the day and find tones of activity.

 

While waiting for the bus you got a text from your mom saying sorry that she hadn’t messaged you sooner but things were very fast pace at the moment. You texted back telling her that it was fine and that you didn’t worry much at all.

 

“From: Mom           

            That’s good. I’m sorry but I have to go to a meeting but have a good day and I’ll call you later tonight if I get the chance.”

 

“To: Mom

            Sounds good. Talk to you later.”


“From: Mom

            Bye sweetie, love you!”
 

“To: Mom

            Love you too”

 

By then your bus had arrived and you hopped on then took a seat. As the bus pulled away you put in your ear buds and began to listen to music to try and drown out the silence from your mind.

 

 

***

 

 

Woozi was the first of the small group to get to the pavilion first. He sat down on a bench and looked around him for a bit.

 

He must have sat there for a good 15 minutes before the others arrived. He saw Joshua and The8 talking casually while Hoshi was a bit less clam.

 

“I didn’t think you guys would make it here in one piece” he teased. He stood u and put his hands in his pockets.

 

“Neither did we.” Joshua glanced at Hoshi as he said this.

 

And it was around this time that you arrive across from the pavilion. You got off the bus and began walking towards a shop. As you walked by, Woozi glanced at you but said nothing and simpled watched you go inside.


“Hey check out that girl.” He pointed calmly through the windows of the shop to you. Though you didn’t notice, there were other things to do in life than watch everyone who stares.

 

The other three followed the direction Woozi was pointing and found your figure through the glass.

 

“So? It’s just a girl.” Hoshi replied bluntly.

 

“You really need to be cultured man” The8’s tone was very mater of fact as he spoke.

 

“She seems a bit lonely. Should we go talk to her?” Hoshi stared at you from a distance and you could feel his stare.


“Well…we should but wouldn’t it be rather awkward if we just walked up to her and started talking to her? If anything let’s go away for a bit and see if we can find her after some time.” Woozi glanced back at you before walking off in the other direction.

 

The others followed Woozi into the crowd of people that was beginning to form quickly in the day.

 

 

***

 

 

1 in the afternoon came sooner than you had expected. Most of the time you were just walking around and trying to find something to do.

 

You sat at one a bench by the water fountain at the pavilion, which was always empty aside from a few people walking by.

 

While you were sitting there minding your own business, Woozi, Joshua, Minghao, and Hoshi were just approaching.

 

Without noticing them, you went over to one of the street performers who was playing a song you knew well. It was something to do at least.

 

As you started singing the four boys stopped and looked at you from a short distance.

 

As soon as you finished Woozi clapped his hands and smiled at you. When you saw him you blushed and bowed slightly.

 

“We should go over there and talk to her.”


“She’s pretty good isn’t she Josh?”


Joshua nodded his head with a pleasant smile and started to make his way over to you.

 

Out of the corner of you eye you saw him approach you, smiling sweetly. You felt blood rush to your cheeks and looked down at the ground hoping that he hadn’t noticed.

 

“You sing well” Joshua said as he sat down beside you.

 

“Thanks”


“I’m Joshua by the way.” He held out his hand to you and waited for a moment.

 

You took his hand and shook it gently then looked at the other three standing around them.

 

“I’m Woozi. This is Hoshi and The8.”


“Hello…” You looked back down at the floor again, not sure of what to say or do.

 

Joshua looked at his friends and signaled that they needed to say something.

 

“So, do you sing much?” Woozi asked with an expectant look on his face.

 

“When I can.” You felt uncomfortable with four boys surrounding you but you didn’t want to be rude either and tell them to leave.

 

“Well you’re very good. You should drop by our school sometime to sing with us. Woozi and I are the main vocalists and The8 sings too but mostly dances.”
“When we perform I’m the one who creates the dances if there needs to be one.” The8 looked at you slowly, scanning your face and trying to remember every detail.

 

“Oh…sure I guess. Where do you guys go?”


“LA Institute of the Arts.” The words flowed out of Woozi as if he had practiced that a hundred times before this.

 

“We have to back to the dorm now but,” Joshua took out a piece of paper and wrote his number down for you. “Here’s my number so that you can text us at anytime.”

 

“Thanks.” You said quietly as you took the paper. As you stood up The8 stopped you for a minute.

 

“Sorry for being rude before but, we never asked for your name.”


“I’m Margo. Margo Brennan.”


“It was very nice to meet you Margo. I hope that we see you again soon?”


You nodded at the guy named Hoshi then headed off back to your house.

 

Joshua watched you walk away and took a deep breath. That was about the time when Hoshi hit Joshua in the arm.

 

“Ow!” the latter whined while rubbing his arm.

 

“What was that? You give her your number?!”
 

Woozi glared at Hoshi and stood in between the two. “Now listen Hoshi, find your chill or I’ll stick you in a freezer until you find it. Besides, we hardly know that girl and Joshua was just trying top be a gentleman.”