Week 3: The Game

Are you the one?

“Let’s think about this logically,”Sunggyu suggested.

“We’ve got another match, so we’re on the right track, aren’t we?” Chanyeol replied with a shrug.

“But don’t you think the matches were all… well, they all seemed like they could work, didn’t they?” Kimmi interjected.

“Are we looking at this wrongly?” Yerin muttered.

“We have to figure this out with our hearts right? If so, it’s just looking at who likes who, right?” Hee-Jin stated.

“But me and Kimmi weren’t a match,” JB commented.

“And I really did like, no, do like Dia,” Mark added.

“But they aren’t your matches,” Myungsoo stated.

“So it’s not just based on liking someone then,” Xiumin reasoned.

“Isn’t it just someone who’d be a good match with you?” Hoya suggested.

“Then it would definitely not be you and Hee-Jin,” Chanyeol laughed.

“And why is that? Because she would look better next to a giant?”

“I’m not that tall! But yeah she would look better next to me than next to such a grumpy guy.”

“He’s not grumpy though,” Hee-Jin commented and Hoya smirked.

“See, even she agrees with me. I guess that means we at least know Xiumin and Hee-Jin was off.”

“But my date with Xiumin was fun as well.”

“Hee-Jin’s just being nice. See, she does the same to Xiumin now.”

“Yet she never does to you,” Hoya replied with a smile.

“She’s just that comfortable around me,” Chanyeol retorted.

“Guys. Stop it now! This is going nowhere,” Jaelyn interrupted. “It was fun for a little while but don’t continue arguing all night, okay.”

“Yes, please don’t fight,” Hee-Jin agreed.

“So popular, Hee-Jin!” Hyun Mi commented but the girl shook her head.

“I’m not~”

“Shall we go back to discussing the match up?” Hye suggested.

“We had three matches the same as last week. So at least one of them is wrong… If only we could find out more…” Myungsoo commented.

“We should make sure a perfect match gets into the truth booth this week,” Seulyi agreed.

“First we need to win the challenges, though,” Sunggyu commented.

“It will be easy, if we try hard enough,” Baekhyun replied with a shrug. After all, he managed to win the strength challenge even without being that strong.

“Maybe we should pick someone we normally wouldn’t….” Woohyun suggested.

“Already tired of me?” Hyun Mi commented softly but the boy shook his head.

“I’m just trying to find ways to figure this out.”

“Do we have any logical couples. Like… Who do you guys think are a definite match?” Dia asked.

“But they all seemed possible,” Sungyeol said.

“Of course they did, or we wouldn’t have picked them,” Seong Yeon interjected.

“But there are always more and less likely matches, right? Kimmi and Mark might be right for each other, after both getting their heart broken by the truth booth. They can totally comfort each other,” Elea suggested.

“Does that mean I should pair up with Dia?” JB asked with a frown.

“I didn’t get my heart broken though….” The girl interjected.

“Doesn’t mean you can’t be a match with him,” Seulyi commented.

“You really want me to be paired up with someone don’t you? First Mark, now JB,” Dia said with a laugh.

“I bet she sees you as competition. Even though all three of us like the same boy,” Hye commented, also laughing. At her comment Dia turned slightly pink.

“I’m just here for the money.”

“Right…”

---

They had stayed up for most of the night arguing about which matches were right, but they could not come to a consensus. The game was as difficult as it was supposed to be and because they had no confirmed perfect matches yet, there was no way to figure out if their guesses were correct. They needed a perfect match and they needed it quickly.

“Can’t sleep?” When he heard these words, Mark half expected to find Kimmi, but instead he looked into the face of Elea.

“Not really. Just thinking about stuff.”

“About the truth booth?” Elea asked him and he shook his head.

“The match up mostly. Maybe also the truth booth a little… I guess it’s just hard to know how to deal with it. I mean, JB already said it was hard, but to really feel it….”

“Isn’t it for the best? Since that girl didn’t seem to be interested in you in the first place?”

“She did pick me for her date.”                      

“But she hardly ever talked with you. Did you even talk during your date?”

“Of course we did. She seemed a lot…more comfortable there.”

“Maybe she just doesn’t like crowds?” Elea suggested and Mark nodded with a gentle smile.

“I think so. I just can’t imagine who else could be my match. Or hers, for that matter. She rarely talks to anyone, right?”

“She talks, just not as much as some of the others,” Elea interjected. “Once you get her with less people she talks more… Still quiet though, I guess.”

“Right? She’s just the quiet type… So maybe she needs someone talkative like Woohyun…”

“She’d get so annoyed with him for sure,” Elea commented with a laugh.

“I guess so. He doesn’t seem like her type. But then…”

“Stop worrying about her? You should think about your own match. And try to move on.”

“What if I don’t want to?”

“You have no choice. We won’t let you make us lose this game.” Elea got up when she was done speaking and already at the stairs when she commented: “I’m going to bed. Goodnight.”

---

“So… you and Hee-Jin looked like an adorable couple. Do you think you are a match?” Jaelyn asked Xiumin. It was early in the morning and they were sitting in the garden, having just eaten their breakfast.

“We do? But I don’t think I want to get caught up in the current battle between Hoya and Chanyeol,” Xiumin muttered.

“So you don’t think you’re a match?”

“I hope not. They’d kill me if we were.” His reply made Jaelyn laugh.

“That’s all you are thinking about? Not about the girl?”

“But they get so fired up all the time,” Xiumin retorted. “Even if she’s cute.”

“Then who do you think is your perfect match?”

“I talked with Elea, Hyun Mi, Seulyi and Yerin more than with the others, so I’d say one of them. I think I could be with any of them…”

“Well, it is the boys challenge this week, so I’m excited to see who you’d pick,” Jaelyn said with a smile.

“Who is your match then? Are you interested in anyone?” Xiumin asked the girl, curious.

“Hmm…. The best is Junmyeon, but he isn’t even in the game. So I guess… No, I don’t know. Anyone could be I guess. Maybe Hoya? He seems cool. But he’s totally for Hee-Jin.”

“Maybe we are a perfect match, then Hoya can have Hee-Jin,” Xiumin joked.

---

JB looked at the girl, surrounded by several cooking books, in confusion.

“What are you doing? It’s not your turn to cook yet, right?”

“But Woohyun’s turn is tomorrow… And I said I’d help him cook…” Hyun Mi replied.

“And you need that many books?”

“Need, probably not. But it won’t hurt.”

“Isn’t it better to just pick one recipe and study that, rather than look at thousands? You’re gonna get them mixed up,” JB commented and the girl looked at him in shock.

“You think I won’t remember them? But I wanted to show I can cook anything…”

“It’s impossible to remember every single recipe right? But maybe you can pick a few that are different?” JB walked over to her and looked at the books.

“Like one fish dish, one with meat, one vegetarian, a pasta dish, a dessert, so when someone suggest something, you’ll at least have one recipe you can make?”

“That might actually work.”

“Of course it will. I’m not an idiot.”

“But I am?” Hyun Mi frowned.

“That wasn’t what I was saying, but I guess trying to remember every single recipe is kind of idiotic,” JB replied, but his tone was teasing.

“But luckily, you are a genius,” Hyun Mi teased back.

“I am. You’re lucky I happened to pass by,” JB commented with a smile. “I’ll leave you to it then, since you want to remember all of those.”

---

“Were you just running? Even though it’s like 40 degrees out?” Hye asked Hoya in amazement as he returned from his morning run. Although rather than morning, it was more close to afternoon already. After staying up late last night to discuss the match up, he had found himself sleeping in, rather than getting up early to work out.

“I was. I usually get up a bit earlier to do it though,” Hoya explained, whipping the sweat of his brown with the back of his hand.

“You’re insane.”

“Thanks, I guess. Though I do agree this isn’t the best time to run.”

“Go swim or something to cool down?” Hye suggested and Hoya nodded.

“Good idea. Care to join me?”

“Sure,” the girl smiled, and they both headed back into the house to change into their swimsuits. When they arrived at the pool, several of the others were already there. After two weeks of staying out of the pool because of her sunburn, Dia had decided to just give up and enter it with a shirt to keep her for getting sunburned even further. Hee-Jin had joined her, excited that the other girl would finally be able to enjoy the huge pool. They weren’t the only ones, however, and Sunggyu, Myungsoo and Seulyi were all also swimming. So when Hoya and Hye reached the pool, everyone was already splashing each other and laughing, enjoying themselves.

“Looks like a pool party,” Hye commented, looking at them.

“Definitely,” Hoya agreed.

“Then just join us?” Hee-Jin suggested and she did not have to say this twice. Before she knew it, both Hoya and Hye had jumped into the pool. The staff gave them a ball and soon they were tossing it between each other, after a while switching to piggy in the middle, where one person had to get the ball while the others were passing it around.

“You’re playing with a ball again?” Baekhyun commented as he jumped into the pool.

“We are, why?” Sunggyu commented.

“Can’t we do something more fun? How about a game of Shoulder Wars? It would help get to know each other.”

“How does sitting on someone’s shoulders help you get to know someone?” Myungsoo commented.

“But it could be fun, right?” Seulyi said, looking at him with a smile. She didn’t mind sitting on his shoulders at all.

“Alright, how should we pair up?” Hee-Jin asked.

“Let’s make it fun? Draw straws or something?” Baekhyun suggested, and looked at a cameraman, who nodded and asked one of the assistants to quickly prepare stuff. A little later, they had drawn straws and the pairs had been decided. Yet somehow the two people who really had hoped on a certain pair, had not been lucky. Hoya had drawn Hye, which he didn’t mind, even though he kind of wanted to be paired with Hee-Jin. And Seulyi, who had been so excited about the possibility of getting paired with Myungsoo was also not very lucky and was paired with Baekhyun.

“Why did you decide to draw straws? I could’ve been with Myungsoo if we could have just picked.”

“It’s not like I want to be paired with you either,” Baekhyun said with a sigh.

Sunggyu and Hee-Jin got paired making Dia and Myungsoo the last pair. While Sunggyu and Hee-Jin weren’t unhappy being paired up, it was clear Dia was the happiest with the current pairings.

“Alright, let’s do this. We can win Sunggyu!” Hee-Jin said excitedly.

“We can try, I’m not that strong.”

“But I can totally push them off, so we’ll be fine.”

“You look happy,” Myungsoo commented with a smirk and Dia could already feel herself getting red.

“I do? You don’t look that strong though,” she commented and he frowned.

“I guess I’ll just have to prove you wrong, then.”

“Be my guest.”

“I’m lucky, you were so good at the strength challenge,” Hye told Hoya.

“Baekhyun finished before me though… Because he cheated. He could totally cheat again now”

“We should take them out first then.”

“We should.”

“Alright, let’s get ready,” Baekhyun said, and helped Seulyi on his shoulders. The others followed their examples and now, the four boys were carrying the four girls. They were all sitting pretty stably at this moment, when they weren’t moving, and no one seemed to be in a direct advantage.

“Ready? Let’s start then!” Baekhyun said and moved forward instantly, the sudden movement shocking Seulyi, who grabbed onto him tighter.

“You have to push the others, not hug me,” the boy commented dryly, earning him a slap on his shoulder.

“It’s unfair he gets to start the game,” Dia muttered.

“So? We should just take them out and we’d be fine. Though I think we should probably go for Sunggyu and Hee-Jin first. They seem weaker,” Myungsoo strategized.

“Let’s do that.”

On the other hand, Sunggyu and Hee-Jin had also decided that Myungsoo and Dia were probably the weakest couple, and were already heading their way, whereas Baekhyun and Seulyi were facing off against Hoya and Hye.

Like Hoya had suspected, the only reason Baekhyun had won the strength challenge was because he had thrown sand in Hoya’s face. Hoya was clearly stronger, but Seulyi wasn’t going down easily. Even though Baekhyun was being pushed backwards more and more, Seulyi kept pushing against Hye, trying to make the girl fall before she herself did. Besides, she wanted to personally throw Dia of Myungsoo’s back. If she had to defeat this girl first to do so, she would.

Hee-Jin and Dia were pretty equally matched. Sunggyu was able to hold the girl quite stable, but Myungsoo didn’t have much problems with that either. Dia seemed to be a bit stronger, but was afraid of pushing too hard and falling off herself.

“Go on then. I’ll hold your legs so you don’t have to worry,” Myungsoo commented when he noticed the girl’s apprehension. When she felt his hold on her tightening, Dia pushed forward making Hee-Jin fall backwards.

Seulyi wasn’t ready to give up, but Baekhyun’s resistance became less and less. The more Hoya stepped forward the more he backed away, making it harder for Seulyi to push Hye away. Hye took advantage of this, and as Baekhyun went backwards once more used the momentum to throw Seulyi off Baekhyun’s shoulders.

“At least I don’t have to sit on your back anymore,” Seulyi muttered, but glared at Dia who was still happily sitting on Myungsoo’s shoulders. Oh how she would have liked to throw the smiling girl off of him.

“That means it’s between us now, Myungsoo,”  Hoya commented with a smile. He wasn’t worried about the so-called handsome boy at all.

“We won’t lose, she’s stronger than she looks,”  Myungsoo replied. The two pairs were already moving towards each other, Hye and Dia ready to start their struggle. Neither of them particularly wanted to get pulled off their respective partners.

Dia and Hye fought hard. They were both equally strong and in the end it was because Hoya was stronger than Myungsoo that the Hoya – Hye pair won by pulling Dia forward, making her fall face first in the water.

---

“Why are you sitting here by yourself?” Sungyeol looked down on the girl lying in the shade, away from everyone else.

“I wanted some time by myself,” Seong Yeon replied.

“Should I go then?” the boy asked, but Seong Yeon shook her head and sat up straight.

“Nah, it’s okay.”

“Oh, right, you did pick me at the last match up,” the boy teased and he sat down next to her.

“I did sort of promise I would,” she replied with a shrug.

“That’s the only reason? Ouch…”

“You seem like a nice guy.”

“But you don’t think I’m your match?”

“It seems unlikely after last week’s match up, there were too few perfect matches…“

“We could still be one of those three though, right?”

“I guess we could. You really want to be my perfect match, don’t you?” Seong Yeon joked and Sungyeol laughed.

“I’m here to find my match after all.”

---

“You’re cooking today?” Yerin asked when she noticed Chanyeol was already in the kitchen, cutting vegetables.

“I am, why?”

“I just figured you’d ask people for help.”

“You didn’t think I could cook?” he asked, pouting.

“I didn’t,” Yerin replied with a smile.

“I guess that means I have to prove you wrong! Watch me cook, and you will see how good I am.”

Yerin laughed again and nodded.

“Sure, do you want me to help?”

 “Please.”

“How is the food coming along?” Xiumin asked as he walked into the kitchen.

“I only just started,” Chanyeol replied and Xiumin pouted.

“I was hoping it would be almost done…”

“We’ll try to hurry up,” Yerin commented and Chanyeol nodded.

“Just leave it to us, Xiumin, we’ll handle it. You’ll have your food in no time.”

Xiumin sighed and nodded. As he left the kitchen he bumped into Kimmi.

“Sorry,” they both apologized at the same time, then laughed.

“You were checking up on the food?” Kimmi asked him and the boy nodded.

“But they’re not done cooking yet.”

“Well it is kind of early for dinner right?” Mark said. Xiumin looked back in surprise, he hadn’t noticed the boy yet.

“I guess so.”

“Maybe we should go see what the others are doing?” Kimmi suggested.

“Let’s do that,” Mark agreed.

“I wonder what our challenge will be tomorrow,” Xiumin muttered.

“I’m sure we’ll be fine,” the other boy said with a shrug. It was no use worrying about a challenge now, there was no way to know what it was going to be anyway.

---

“Ladies and gentleman, it’s time for our third challenge. The weeks are flying by. You should really be stepping up your game, you don’t have any confirmed perfect matches yet. But today is another chance to send a couple to the truth booth. I suggest you’d think about it carefully and make sure that you will find a confirmed perfect match today,” Junmyeon announced.

“That is what we were trying to do all along, though,” Seulyi commented.

“It’s not like we don’t want to win,” JB agreed.

“Of course. But you should think harder about which couples could be a perfect match. Think about who would be good for each other and not just who would like each other.”

“See, we have to look at it differently,” Woohyun stated.

“Just look at your heart and were it takes you,”Junmyeon said with a smile. “Now today, the challenge is for the boys. But, this time, the girls will not just watch the challenge. I’m sure you all use social media like Facebook and Instagram.  Which means I’m sure you are all familiar with taking selfies. Each of the girls will be taking pictures of their body parts. They can decide which parts they want to photograph by themselves. Afterwards, those pictures will be displayed on the screen here, and the boys have to guess which parts belong to which girl. Make sure to take more than one picture, so it’s extra challenging for the boys. Good luck and have fun with it.”

“We have to take pictures of ourselves? Wouldn’t that be too easy?” Hee-Jin commented.

“It would,” Elea agreed.

“We should just find something challenging, maybe like a foot or something?” Hye commented.

“Or a hand or something,” Seong Yeon stated. While discussing the best ways to do this challenge, the girls left. They would be taking the pictures away from the boys, of course.

“I wonder what they’re going to show us,” Baekhyun commented with a smile.

“It sounds like an easy challenge so far,” Woohyun stated.

“Seriously? Who knows what they’ll photograph. They were talking about feet and hands, there’s no way I’d know,” Sungyeol commented.

“Just try and match hair and skin colours or something, it should be fine,” Sunggyu commented.

“It’ll definitely be a challenge,” Xiumin mumbled.

But the difficulty of this challenge all depended on the creativity of the girls.

“I’m just gonna take a picture of my shoulder,” Seulyi commented.

“Oh, good idea, it’s modest yet probably difficult,” Hyun Mi replied. “I’ll just take my hand.”

It didn’t take the girls long to return, handing the phones to Junmyeon. It took him a while to sort through the pictures, making sure they were mixed and not easily guessed.

“Alright boys, are you ready to guess these pictures?” Junmyeon asked.

“As ready as we’ll ever be,” JB commented.

“Let’s hope they aren’t that difficult. I want to win a date,” Chanyeol added.

“Alright, the first picture is this one.” Junmyeon started.

“What is that even?” Hoya muttered, looking at the picture. It showed skin with a brown spot that resembled the map of England.

“Who is such a fan of England they would get a tattoo?” Xiumin asked.

“It’s a mole right? Not a tattoo?” Myungsoo commented.

“So, now that you’ve had time to look at this, who does this back belong to?” Junmyeon asked. In front of each of the boys was a computer screen where they could type in their answers. After a few seconds they had all made their decisions.

“This picture belonged to Dia,” Junmyeon announced and several of the guys cheered.

“That was an easy one,” Baekhyun commented.

“Her sunburn healed more than I suspected,” Sunggyu muttered.

“Next picture, who does this ear belong to?” Junmyeon asked and again the boys stared at the picture in concentration. It was a lot more difficult than they had suspected.

“Only a few people got this right, this ear belongs to Jaelyn,” Junmyeon once again announced the result. The girl in question smiled, happy her picture had been difficult to guess.

Picture after picture was displayed on the screen, of stomachs, knees, hands, feet and shoulders even a smile. Some were difficult and others were easier, but more often than not the boys guessed wrong.

“Alright, some of you did very well, while others seemed to have more trouble with this. The top three contestants will get to go on a date with someone of their choice. The clear winner was Woohyun, who didn’t get a single question wrong. Woohyun, who do you want to take on a romantic date?”

“I’ll take Hye,” Woohyun announced.

“Me?” the girl asked in surprise.

“What!? After kissing me in the Ferris wheel, you just dump me like this?” Hyun Mi exclaimed loudly

“Dumping is a big word. I told you we needed to look at this differently,” Woohyun retorted.

“After all that talk about the urban legend now you just do this? I can’t believe it!”

Before Woohyun could say anything else, Junmyeon interrupted them.

“Although some of the girls don’t seem very happy with your choice, Hye will be your date for today. In second place is Baekhyun. Who will be your date today? I think we can all be pretty sure it won’t be Seulyi again?”

“It won’t be. Today, I’d like to go with Yerin,” Baekhyun announced.

“Like I’d want to go with him again,” Seulyi muttered.

Yerin smiled as she walked over to Baekhyun.

“Let’s  have fun on our date,” she commented.

“And for the last date, in third place, JB. Who will you take on your date?” Junmyeon asked.

“I’ll take Seong Yeon. She was fun to hang out with and to swim with, so I’m sure we’d have fun,” the boy commented.

“Alright, so Woohyun and Hye, Seong Yeon and JB and Baekyun and Yerin will enjoy a lovely, romantic date together, while the rest has to think about which one of these couples to send to the truth booth. It’s already the third week, so you really need to step up your game and find a perfect match soon. Have fun and good luck!”


Author note: I'm so very sorry for breaking several otp's in this chapter (even some I really like myself T_T)

My bias just decided to leave KAT-TUN, and the entertainment world, so I wasn't in the best mood while writing this, which is why it's not as fluffy as the rest >.<

Thanks to Hye and Kimmi for thinking of some crack pairings to help me get inspiration :)