Week 2: The Match up

Are you the one?

“So, I’m sure the six of you are curious as to what your date will be, right?” Junmyeon asked the couples in front of him.

“Yes! Tell us how our world gets changed,” Hyun Mi replied with a smile.

“Today, the six of you will be heading to a theme park, where you can spend the day together.”

“Oh that’s gonna be so much fun!” Hee-Jin cheered.

“It will!” Xiumin agreed also smiling widely.

“Do you like amusement parks?” Mark asked Dia and she nodded.

“They’re fun.”

“And it’s even more fun when you get to go with a pretty girl,” Woohyun commented with a smile.

“I’m glad you are all looking forward to it. There is a car ready in front of the villa. Have fun!” Junmyeon explained with a smile. Before he was done speaking, Hee-Jin and Xiumin had already started running towards the car and not long after, the others followed.

---

“First she says she doesn’t want him, then she takes him on a date,”Kimmi muttered.

“It when the dates don’t go as you want,” Hoya agreed.

“Did you want another date with Hee-Jin?” Elea asked and the boy nodded.

“Oh, well, she’s probably playing the game better than I am,” he tried to brush it off, only partly succeeding.

“I hadn’t expected Dia to pick Mark, since she said he wasn’t her type at all,” Jaelyn commented.

“But if he isn’t, why would she pick him?” Kimmi retorted.

“Because she thinks he might be her perfect match even though she doesn’t like him?” Myungsoo suggested.

“But aren’t these perfect matches supposed to be the perfect couple? So she would have to like him, right?” Seulyi retorted.

“So basically, it all depends on how their date goes?” Sungyeol reasoned.

“Since they were together in the previous match up as well… I think they are probably the most likely match,” Seong Yeon stated.

“Yeah, the other two couples haven’t even interacted that much, so it’s hard to imagine whether or not they are perfect matches,” JB said

“Xiumin and Hee-Jin did have similar reactions the other day,” Sunggyu commented.

“I doubt that would be all there is to this matching process,” Yerim retorted.

“I guess not, or else we would have figured it out in one week,” Hye agreed.

“So who are you going to vote for today?”Chanyeol asked the others.

“I think Dia and Mark could be a match, so I’ll go with them,” Kimmi commented.

“I’m voting for them too. I mean, they both have red hair, they must be a match, right,” Sungyeol laughed.

“I’m voting for Hee-Jin and Xiumin,” Hoya declared.

“You’re hoping they are not a perfect match?” Chanyeol asked.

“So what if I am?”

“You’re not the only one. I guess that means Hee-Jin has two votes for sure, yours and mine,” Chanyeol said with a laugh.

“Not useless for once,” Hoya muttered.

“I’ll vote for them too, then,” Yerin said, earning her a grateful smile from both boys.

“I’m voting for Hyun Mi and Woohyun,” Seulyi declared. “I think they would really be a good couple.”

“Agreed, I think they are the most likely. Dia doesn’t like Mark, and Hee-Jin has too many suitors,” Jaelyn agreed.

“But Mark and Dia were also paired up in the first match up. It would be good to know if they are a match or not, since they are still together-ish,” Myungsoo commented.

“I hope for Mark it’s a match. It when the truth booth doesn’t work out,” JB muttered.

“Why is it so difficult to figure out these matches, I have no idea who to vote for,” Elea exclaimed.

“At least we still have some hours to think about it, while they are on their dates,” Sunggyu reassured her.

---

“An amusement park is the best date ever,” Hee-Jin said excitedly. The car was just about to stop at an huge amusement park, where the three couples would be spending the rest of their date.

“I know right? I’m glad I got to go this week, this is better than canoeing,” Xiumin agreed.

Canoeing was fun too though,” Hee-Jin commented.

“So lucky, you get to go on all the dates, Hee-Jin,” Hyun Mi teased.

“We better make sure we get to go on all the next dates, then,” Woohyun replied with a grin.

“You don’t look too happy,” Mark whispered in Dia’s ear. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. It’s just a bit hot in the car, with everyone squished together,” she replied.

“I’m sorry about that, that’s just me,” Woohyun butted in, causing Hyun Mi to giggle.

“I doubt it,” Dia retorted dryly.

“Tsk, she’s not nice,” Woohyun softly whined, scooting closer to Hyun Mi.

“We’re all going together, right?” Hee-Jin said excitedly, but then her smile dropped. “Oh.. It wouldn’t really be a date then… Well, it could be a group date?”

“But would that help us find out who the perfect matches are?” Dia retorted.

“I guess not…” Xiumin muttered.

“We’ll just have to have enough fun for everyone together then,” Hee-Jin exclaimed and Xiumin nodded.

“Let’s make it the best date ever!” he agreed.

“We’re here,” the driver commented simply and they all left the car immediately. Hee-Jin and Xiumin dashed to the entrance of the park right away, being too excited about their date. They were followed at a more relaxed pace by the other four.

“Where shall we go first?” Hee-Jin asked Xiumin.

“How about a rollercoaster or something?”

“Yes, let’s! I think it’s that way,” Hee-Jin pointed. The rollercoaster was visible from afar, so they were sure to reach it quickly.

“This is gonna be so much fun!” Xiumin agreed, and he grabbed her hand as they both ran forward.

“Well, those two are excited,” Dia commented with a laugh.

“You’re not?” Mark asked her.

“Not as much as them, I think,” she replied.

“Where do you want to go?” he continued.

“Shall we look at the map, and decide?” she suggested.

“We’re not going to do that, right Hyun Mi?” Woohyun asked. “It’s way more fun to just walk and see what we’ll come across.”

“Agreed, let’s just see what’s fun when we get there.”

---

 “Oooh, this rollercoaster is so high!” Hee-Jin exclaimed when they reached it. The queue for the ride was long, but even when they went to stand in line, Xiumin didn’t let go of Hee-Jin’s hand. When the girl noticed, she blushed a little, but she didn’t want to let him go either, so she kept quiet.

“It’s kind of weird, isn’t it?” Xiumin commented. “To go on dates like this with people you barely know.”

“Yes! How can you get to know each other in a week, and then just go on a date,” Hee-Jin agreed.

“You had it even worse, it was in like, three days, right? Your first date?”

“It was. But it was fun. A bit awkward at first. But fun,” the girl replied.

“Let’s make this date even more fun then,” Xiumin said with a smile.

“I’m sure it will be! I mean, it’s an amusement park. And you are here. And it will be fun!” Hee-Jin rambled.

“Agreed! Though I kind of wish they would have rented out the whole park so we wouldn’t have to wait in line,” Xiumin commented. They were only moving slowly and it seemed like it would take a while before they would actually be able to ride the rollercoaster.

“I know right, you’d think since this is a tv-show we would actually just get to ride all the rides, rather than wait. It can’t be good television, two people standing in a queue most of the day,” Hee-Jin laughed.

“They’ll probably cut those parts… Maybe our date seems even more fun when watching it on tv,” Xiumin suggested.

“I don’t really mind waiting though, it gives us a chance to talk.”

“Agreed, it gives us plenty of time to get to know each other.”

“Oh, we’re moving again.”

---

“So where do you want to go?” Mark asked Dia as they were both standing in front of the map.

“How about these water rides?” the girl suggested.

“Sure, let’s go there,” Mark smiled and Dia nodded.

Once they had started walking Mark looked at the girl next to him happily. She had never seemed interested in him, whenever he tried to talk to her. But here they were, on a date. He had never thought she’d pick him. Even if he had hoped it.

“Why’d you pick me?”

“Kimmi said she thought we could very likely be a match, so I figured this would be the best way to find out if that’s true,” Dia replied him.

“So just… for the game? To go to the truth booth?” he asked quietly.

“The quicker we win the money, the better, right?”

“I don’t really care for the money much. I just want to have fun,” Mark muttered.

“But… Isn’t an amusement park fun?” Dia asked him. “Wait…”

She suddenly stopped and looked at him with a worried look on her face.

“You don’t like water rides?”

Her sudden question made him laugh and shake his head.

“No, no, that’s not what I meant. I do like water rides. It’s just, the sooner we find all perfect matches the sooner we have to leave the island, and the game right. I mean, I want to be a perfect match with you, but it would also mean we can’t participate in the games anymore. So I’d rather not go to the truth booth today,” he explained.

“Oh right, we’d have to leave the house. It would be weird to have an entire villa for just the two of us…” the girl agreed.

“If you say it like that, it might actually be fun,” he said half-jokingly.

“Seriously? I think you would get sick of me rather soon,” Dia replied shaking her head.

“Of you? I don’t think that’s possible.”

She frowned and shook her head once more.

“I’m shy and awkward, bad at talking to people and rather spend time alone,” she started, but he interrupted her.

“I know. Don’t act like you are telling me something new, that was pretty obvious already. But I bet you are actually just insecure. You like it better when you’re with friends, so you can be yourself, right? Lots of people are like that, so don’t go feeling to special, or bad about yourself. It’s not bad to be insecure, as long as you don’t let it ruin the rest of your life.”

Dia’s eyes widened the more Mark was talking. They only knew each other for a little over a week, and here he was speaking as if they’d been friends for way longer.

“I… well… you’re not wrong…” she muttered softly.

“I’m not? Wow, that’s good. I was afraid I was going to annoy you again,” he replied. “Let’s go in that log slide first?”

“I love that!” she replied excitedly.

“Finally she’s smiling,” the red-haired boy muttered softly, but when she asked what he’d said, he shook his head.

 “I said, let’s go then!”

---

“Shall we go into the Ferris wheel?” Woohyun suggested and Hyun Mi nodded.

“Let’s do that. There doesn’t seem to be a long line either, so we can go straight in!”

“That’s why I picked it. I wouldn’t want to keep you waiting,” the boy smiled widely.

They both climbed into the little gondola. The gondola’s were rather small and they had to sit close together, which neither of them minded.

“It’s smaller than I expected,” Hyun Mi commented.

“Are you saying that’s a bad thing?” Woohyun pouted, making the girl giggle.

“Of course not.”

“I see. I’m glad you’re happy about it then,” he said, smiling once again.

“Oh we’re moving. I wonder if we can see the villa… And the other couples. I wonder where Hee-Jin went!" Hyun Mi said excitedly.

“Did you know… in Japan there’s this urban legend,” Woohyun began, and Hyun Mi looked at him now, instead of the view.

“An urban legend? What kind of? It’s not a horror story, right?”

Woohyun laughed softly before continuing:
“It’s not a horror story. It’s actually a good story. The legend says that if a couple kiss on the highest point of a Ferris wheel, they’ll stay together forever.”

“Forever? Why are you telling me this? You want to kiss me once we reach the top?” Hyun Mi asked.

“Would you be against it?”

“You really are trying to change my world, aren’t you?” the girl laughed softly. But she wasn’t against it, at all.

---

“That was so much fun! Where shall we go next?” Hee-Jin exclaimed once they had gotten out of the rollercoaster.

“How about… that one!” Xiumin suggested pointing to a building.

“What is it?” the girl asked, curious. They could only see the backside of the building, so she had no idea what would be in there.

“I don’t know. But it would be fun to try it anyway, right?”

“Yup, let’s do it!”

Once they reached the front of the building, Hee-Jin became pale.

“It’s a haunted house?” she said hesitantly.

“I think so yes. You don’t like them? We can do something else if you want to?” Xiumin suggested.

Hee-Jin took a deep breath, then shook her head.

“I’m fine, let’s do it.” Xiumin nodded at her words.

“If you get scared, I’ll protect you,” he said half-jokingly.

“You better!” the girl replied with a happy smile.

“I will, I promise,” Xiumin said, and he held her hand a bit tighter when they entered the haunted house. As soon as they entered the building they were enveloped in darkness.

“It’s so dark,” Hee-Jin muttered.

“Are you okay?” the boy asked her.

“Of course I am. Nothing scary here, right?” When Xiumin didn’t reply she asked again, softer: “Right?”

“Right!” he agreed and if it hadn’t been so dark, she would have been able to see him smile. As they walked through the dark, at first nothing seemed to be happening. Hee-Jin was a bit jumpy, expecting something scary to appear at any time, but nothing did. Just when she had started to relax, a glow in the dark ghost appeared in front of them. Rather than being scary, it looked somewhat cute, but its sudden appearance made Hee-Jin jump and scream in shock. She clung to Xiumin in surprise, who softly patted her back.

“Don’t worry. It’s not scary, look it’s just a smiling cuddly ghost.”

“It’s a ghost, ghost aren’t cuddly,” Hee-Jin retorted, but carefully turned her head to look at it. “I guess it’s not that scary…”

“Right? It’s okay, not scary at all,” he agreed. But as soon as they continued walking Hee-Jin suddenly felt something hairy against her cheek, and screamed again. Xiumin pulled her closer to him, and softly, so as not to scare her even more, whispered in her ear:

“It’s just strands of wool hanging from the ceiling. Don’t worry. I’m here. I won’t let anything happen to you. Just stay close to me.”

---

“How about the rollercoaster next?” Mark suggested.

“I would say yes, but I can’t. My sunburn…” Dia said, clearly disappointed.

“Oh, right, you said it hurt in the log ride as well, so I guess rides like that are out.”

“I’m sorry,” the girl said softly.

“Don’t say that, it’s not your fault… Unless you blame yourself for forgetting sunscreen…” Mark teased. “But I don’t mind that much, let’s do something else… They have this boat ride, which could be fun.”

“Oh it goes through most of the park, I think… I saw it on the map,” she replied with a smile.

“So I guess that means you’re up for it?”

“Of course I am.”

“We should be close to it right now.” He was already looking around, trying to find the entrance to the ride.

“Isn’t it there?” Dia pointed and Mark nodded.

“Let’s go!” he took her hand and excitedly ran forwards towards the queue, only letting her hand go when they had reached it. Luckily for them, the line wasn’t long. If it had been, Dia would have definitely started complaining again once she had gotten bored, like she had before the log ride which would have annoyed both herself and Mark.

They got into the swan shaped boat which slowly followed its course along rails under the water, showing them around the park, as well as through beautiful flower gardens.

“This is not comparable to a rollercoaster at all, it’s so slow,” Dia commented. “Are you sure you’re okay with it? I’ll go on something you want to go on next, don’t worry about my sunburn, it’ll be fine.”

“You’re not forcing me to do this, I suggested it, remember,” Mark said with a sweet smile and the girl nodded.

“Don’t worry, if I want to do something, or don’t like something, I’ll say, it okay? Just enjoy this date and don’t worry about whether or not I’m enjoying it. Because I am.”

---

“Are you okay?” Xiumin asked, looking at the girl who was still clinging to him, even though they had already left the haunted house.

“I’m fine. But… Can I hold on a little longer? I don’t want a ghost…” she muttered and he smiled.

“Don’t worry, I’ll protect you even outside of the haunted house. Shall we go sit and eat and drink something somewhere?”

The girl nodded, a smile appearing on her face at the thought of food. When they reached a nice ice-cream place Hee-Jin suddenly stopped in her tracks. In front of the ice-cream stall were Woohyun and Hyun Mi, sharing a large ice coupe together.

“Let’s not go here, we’d interrupt them,” she muttered, and they softly snuck away. Hyun Mi saw them walking away and smiled when she noticed her cousin didn’t want to disturb them.

“Did the sun come out or did you just smile at me?” Woohyun asked her.

“Tsk, obviously I am your sun,” Hyun Mi replied with a chuckle, causing him to smile as well.

“You are, of course. And here I always thought happiness started with an H. Why does mine start with you?” he continued.

“Because Hyun Mi and Woohyun stands for Happy and Wonderfulness.”

“I can’t disagree with that!” he smiled and held out his spoon, feeding her another bit of the giant ice cream that was standing in between them.
“It is so good,” Hyun Mi exclaimed happily.

“Although you don’t really need it, you’re already sweet enough.”

“It’s still delicious. Here, say aah,” she offered him a spoonful as well. The huge ice cream became less and less as they continued eating from it together, at times feeding the other as well. Once they were finished they got up again.

“Where shall we go now?” Woohyun asked. “As long as I’m with you, I don’t mind even if it’s the end of the earth.”

“Please don’t,” a camera person muttered.

“Don’t what?” Woohyun asked confused.

“Too much cheese. And we are not gonna follow you to the end of the earth,” he continued, before quickly trying to blend into the background again. They weren’t supposed to disrupt these dates. His comment made the couple laugh loudly.

“I guess we better try to behave, or the camera people are going to flee,” Hyun Mi said while laughing.

“Don’t you always behave? You’re an angel after all,” Woohyun commented, and Hyun Mi laughed even louder when she saw the look on the cameraman’s face.

“How about we go to the Pirate Ship? Since you’re already stealing my heart,” Hyun Mi suggested

“Let’s do that,” Woohyun agreed and, ignoring the sigh of the cameraman, took her hand. Together they walked towards the Pirate Ship, which, like most rides in the park had a huge queue.

“It’s like we chose the worst day of the year to go here, so many people,” Hyun Mi commented.

“And no one is as pretty as you.”

His line made her laugh again and softly punch his arm.

“I was being serious.”

“So was I.”

She blushed a little at his comment, which made him smirk.

---

“Why are you so wet?” Dia asked once Hee-Jin and Xiumin reached the meeting point. They were completely drenched.

“We went on a water ride, but well, we got soaked,” Xiumin replied and Hee-Jin nodded.

“But it was fun! So much fun, right Xiumin?”

“It was, it was the best!”

“We had fun too,” Mark agreed and Dia nodded.

“So you get along better now? That’s so great!!” Hee-Jin exclaimed gleefully. “Maybe Kimmi was right after all!”

“Right about what?” the redheaded boy asked.

“About you two being a perfect match of course!”

“Oh, Mark said he was confident they were as well,” Xiumin added.

“He did? They must be a match then!” Hee-Jin was getting more and more excited.

“How did you end up getting soaked on both of your dates?” Suddenly Hyun Mi’s voice came from behind.
“Water ride, of course,” Hee-Jin said and then pouted. “But I don’t know why all dates end with me getting soaking wet.”

---

“So, did you enjoy your date? Then it’s time to go find out which one of these three couples will go to the truth booth today,” Junmyeon started. All contestants had gathered in the living room again and were staring at the television screen which would show the result of their earlier voting.

“It was a close vote, I can tell you,” Junmyeon continued, but still the screen showed nothing.

“Don’t keep us in suspense!” Jaelyn called out and Junmyeon chuckled.

“Alright, alright, let’s reveal tonight’s truth booth couple.”

As soon as he was done speaking, Dia and Mark’s pictures appeared on the television screen.

“That means today’s lucky couple is Dia and Mark. You will head to the truth booth now, and find out whether or not you are a perfect match and one step closer to a million dollar. Good luck.”

 “Thanks,” Dia commented, and got up. Mark followed her quickly, looking a lot more nervous than the girl did.

“Are you nervous?” he asked as they walked to the truth booth. Dia shook her head.

“Not really.”

“Because you don’t really want to be a match, right?” he asked hesitantly.

“If we’re a match we’re closer to the money, so it would be good…”

“But staying in a villa with just me is not, right?”

“I think… I could survive. I’m not saying I feel that we are a match. But I did have fun at our date today.”

“So did I,” Mark said with a big smile.

“Let’s go inside, then,” Dia commented. As soon as they walked into the truth booth they were greeted by their pictures.

“Why pictures everywhere,” the girl muttered softly. They both placed their hands on the fingerprint scanner and waited. The screen turned black and Mark’s heartbeat sped up to the point that he was afraid the girl next to him would hear it. But when the letters NO MATCH appeared on the screen his shoulder slumped. He had been so certain they’d be a match. But they weren’t.

“Are you okay?” Dia asked gently, softly touching his arm to get his attention, while Mark just stood there in a daze.

“I… I’m okay… Just… Disappointed. I really… I really thought we would be a match,” the boy said softly.

“Think positive!” the girl tried and he smiled wryly.

“At least you won’t have to share a villa with me?”

His comment made her pout.

“That’s not what I meant. I mean, if I’m not your perfect match, then your perfect match is still in the house right? And she might be thousand times better than me. And once you meet her, you’ll be so happy! If you already thought I could be your perfect match, then your actual perfect match is going to blow you away!”

“I think this might be the longest you’ve talked to me without me having to say something,” Mark commented dryly.

“You are not focussing on the main point!” Dia complained.

“We should get back to the others. I’m sure they are disappointed. Although I think I’d rather be alone right now.”

“Want me to go by myself?” the girl asked him and he just nodded. He didn’t want to hear their reactions yet.

Instead he sat down by himself in the garden. It was dark, but it wasn’t cold at all. JB was right, it not being a perfect match, when you wanted to be one.

“Are you okay?” Suddenly a voice came from behind him. He looked up and instantly recognised the girl. She was one of the few people he actually knew the name of.

“Kimmi, why are you here?”

“You remembered my name after all? I just wanted to know if you were okay.”

“I’m okay…”

“It’s the worst feeling right, not being a perfect match?”

“It is. You’re not going to tell me I’ll find someone and my perfect match is still there?”

“It wouldn’t make you feel better right?” she asked and he shook his head.

“It wouldn’t.”

“Then what’s the point?”

“I guess you are right. Can you… stay with me for a while? It’s comforting talking to you like this.”

---

“Again, not a match,” JB said with a sigh.

“But I was so sure they were a match!” Hee-Jin commented. “They actually got along better after their date.”

“And Mark seemed to like her a lot as well,” Xiumin agreed.

“We got it wrong again. I really hope the match up will go better than this,” Yerim said.

“We’re not good at this truth booth thing. I wonder if any of the couples who went on dates were actually a perfect match,” Chanyeol commented then quickly added: “Not you and Hee-Jin, Hoya.”

“You never know,” the other replied with a glare.

“Why are you only against Hoya?” Hee-Jin asked.

“He doesn’t suit you. You and Xiumin look pretty good together, I guess, so I can’t go against that, now, can I?” the boy smiled and Hee-Jin smiled back, happy Chanyeol thought she and Xiumin could be a perfect match.

“Relieved?” Myungsoo asked Dia when she reached the living room. She smiled and nodded, before joining him and Seulyi on a couch.

“It’s too bad you weren’t a perfect match, you seemed like you could be cute together,” Seulyi commented.

“He’s a nice person…. But he’s not my type,” Dia replied with a smile.

“Then what is your type?” Myungsoo asked.

“He seemed to really care for you, so I’m sure he’s devastated now,” Seulyi continued. “How did he take it?”

“Not very well, but I think Kimmi went to cheer him up, so I hope that helps,” Dia commented.

“I’m sure Mark will be alright,” JB assured her. “I survived the truth booth, so I’m sure he will as well.”

“We need to step up our game, though. We keep wasting our truth booth chances,” Myungsoo said.

“But knowing people are not a perfect match helps as well, right?” Hye interjected.

“It does. At least now I know I shouldn’t go after Kimmi,” JB agreed.

---

When Kimmi woke up the next morning, she was disoriented for a while. She was not in her bed, and it took her a while to realise that she was in the garden. Looking next to her, still fast asleep with his head on her shoulder, was Mark. After comforting him last night, they had fallen asleep and only when the morning sun appeared at the horizon did the girl wake. She tried to carefully move so she wouldn’t wake him, but got distracted by his sleeping face and ended up sitting perfectly still for another hour, until the boy woke up.

“Kimmi? Why are you in my room? Wait, this isn’t… Your room? No.. ” he sleepily mumbled.

“We’re outside,” Kimmi enlightened him with a smile.

“We fell asleep last night?”

“Apparently so.”

“Did you… did I bother you in my sleep?”

“You slept on my shoulder… But it was no problem.”

“Thanks.”

---

“Is that Kimmi and Mark?” Chanyeol commented, amusement clear in his voice.

“He got over Dia quickly,” Jaelyn said with a laugh.

“It does seem that way, they looked pretty close just now.”

“I guess it’s a good thing, if we want to win this game.”

“And we do. So we better figure things out soon,” Chanyeol agreed.

“Any ideas for your match?” Jaelyn asked him and he thought for a while.

“I know a few people who wouldn’t be my match… But most of them are still a possibility. Who knows, maybe you are my match.”

“Maybe I should pick you, then.” Jaelyn laughed.

“I bet you, we’d get at least one light if you did.”

“I hope we’ll get more than just one or we’ll be doing worse than last week.”

---

“Yerin~ You’re cooking tonight right?” Baekhyun asked, walking into a quiet living room. Yerin was reading a book on the couch. It was still early and she had only just finished her breakfast, yet here this boy was, already asking about dinner.

“I am, why?”

“Because I was wondering what you were going to cook.”

“Did you want to help?”

 “That’s not what I was going to say.” Baekhyun pouted.

“Then what?” the girl asked.

“Well… I just happened to notice there were many cucumbers in the fridge…” he started.

“And you wanted me to save them so you could cook with them tomorrow?”

“That works…”

“What do you mean that works? Did you want to use them or not?”

“I did not…”

“Then what?”

“I don’t like them.”

“So you wanted to ask me to not prepare cucumbers, because you don’t like them?” Yerin asked raising her eyebrows. The boy shyly nodded.

“That’s unexpectedly cute.”

“I’m not cute!”

“If you say so. I think the cucumbers were ordered by Dia, against sunburn, so I don’t think you have to worry,” Yerin said with a smile.

“Ah, good! So we’re not eating them?” Baekhyun happily smiled. “Thanks Yerin, you’re the best!”

“I didn’t even do anything,” Yerin muttered with a smile, before going back to her book.

---

“Are you trying to figure out who could be a perfect match?”

When Hye heard a voice she looked up. She was sitting at the dining table with a bunch of papers in front of her, drawing diagrams to figure out who could be a match.

“I am,” she told Sunggyu.

“It’s good, since we have another match up in a few days,” Sunggyu replied. “Can I help?”

“I don’t know. Do you have any good ideas as to how to figure this out?” the girl asked him.

“Well, we know that our first match up had two right, out of currently nine possibilities, right? That would mean each of those couples has a probability of, I think, 0.22. Which means we didn’t learn that much, since it would be 0.2 if it was two out of ten….” Sunggyu concluded.

“Yes… But it does mean that those couples have a higher chance of being a perfect match than a random new couple, right?” Hye argued.

“I agree. Since the chance of a couple being right is 0.22 if you take the couples from last week. But if you look at the possibilities for a new couple… The probability would only be 0.1”

“Are you sure of your math? If so it helps a lot.”

“I’m not sure at all,” Sunggyu admitted. “It’s been a while since I went to high school and had maths. But at least it seems to make sense, right?”

“It does. I guess picking similar to last week with only a few differences would be a good strategy.”

“I agree,” Sunggyu smiled.

---

“Want to go swim?” JB asked the girl walking in front of him. He had gotten up rather late today, but he felt like doing something fun. The girl looked back at him with a weak smile.

“Nah, I don’t feel like it,” Seong Yeon replied.

“Why not? The weather is great and I’m sure it will be fun. And you get to see me in my swimming trunks as a bonus,” JB   suggested with a smile.

“Tempting, but no.”

“You don’t like swimming?”

“I… I can’t swim,” the girl admitted hesitantly.

“That’s not a problem right?”

JB’s words made Seong Yeon frown. Of course it was a problem if you didn’t know how to swim when you went swimming. She could drown. Or make a fool of herself. No, she would safely stay at the side, she would not enter the pool.

“That’s why I won’t swim,” she commented simply.

“But don’t you want to learn? I could teach you.”

“Teach me?”

“I’ll hold you and we’ll just slowly try until you get the hang of it. It’s kind of difficult to explain like this, but I’m sure I can make you swim. I’ll see you at the pool in fifteen minutes.”

Before Seong Yeon could reply, he was already gone.

“Is he an idiot?” she muttered, but she did turn around to go put on her swimsuit. When she reached the pool JB was already swimming, looking quite stunning and for a second she just looked at him.

When he spotted her, he smiled and got out of the pool, water dripping from his abs.

“You came! See, you actually do want to swim!”

“You just didn’t give me a chance to refuse.”

“But you changed your clothes,” he commented with a smirk. Seong Yeon just sighed.

“Alright, let’s get into the pool” JB said and before she knew it, he had already jumped in.

“Right away?”

“Can’t swim unless you’re in the water, right?”

“I guess…” She dipped her toes into the water, before backing away again.

“Aish… Just get into it. Do you want me to drag you?”

“No, no, I’ll do it myself!” she quickly said, and slowly, carefully lowered herself into the water. As soon as she was close to it, he held out his hands and she took them. He seemed strong enough that he could hold her up as she floated through the water.

“Step one is done, getting in the water,” JB teased. “Alright, let’s start with moving your legs. It’s like this, see. I’ll go backwards, and hold you so nothing can happen.”

Seong Yeon nodded and was completely focussed on staying alive, so much, that for the time being she forgot how handsome she thought the guy in front of her was.

---

“It’s the time of the week everyone was looking forward to! The match up! Have you thought about the chances and who the couples are? Unfortunately, this week your truth booth revealed another no match, so you did not get any closer to the million. I hope you’ll be doing well in this week’s match up. As always, the girls get to pick in the order they finished the games, so Hee-Jin gets to go first. Hee-Jin, who will you pick this week?” Junmyeon started. Like every Sunday the contestants had all gathered for another match up ceremony.

“I’ll pick Xiumin.”

The boy smiled and walked over to the girl, while Hoya sighed at the other end of the line. He saw his chances getting smaller and smaller.

“Well, then, Dia, we already know your match isn’t Mark. So who do you think it is?” Junmyeon continued.

 “Myungsoo,” the girl said softly.

“I’m sorry I didn’t quite hear you,” Junmyeon commented and Dia slowly turned red. But luckily for her, the boy in question had heard her and was already walking over to her.

“So you get quiet when you’re serious?” he muttered when he sat down next to her.

“So cocky.”

“You’re not saying I’m wrong though.”

While Dia’s blush deepened, she decided to just focus on the matching ceremony. Next up was Hyun Mi, who after her very successful date of course choose Woohyun. Seong Yeon on the other hand had more trouble picking her match. In her head, she kept going back to her conversation with Sungyeol, but also to her swimming lesson with JB. In the end, she went with Sungyeol, since she had pretty much promised him she would pick him.

“And Jaelyn, who is your perfect match?” Junmyeon asked.

“If I say that you are, will you join me here?” the girl asked with a smile.

“Unfortunately, I can’t join you, as that would mean the game can’t continue properly. You’ll have to pick one of the other contestants,” the presentor replied with a chuckle.

“I guess I’ll go with Chanyeol then. He did say he might be my match.”

Kimmi choose Mark, the two had gotten closer because they had both experienced an unpleasant truth booth result. Yerin ended up picking Baekhyun, leaving only three people left to pick their matches. Elea was doubting between Hoya and JB, but decided to go with JB today, since he had picked her as well last week.

“Well, Hye, this means you get to choose between Hoya and Sunggyu, who do you think is your perfect match?” Junmyeon asked.

“Well, there’s a higher probability that it’s Sunggyu, so I’ll pick him.”

“Alright, that means Seulyi and Hoya must be a perfect match. Everything is set, so in a few seconds the lights behind me will light up one by one. As you all know, each light represents a perfect match. If you have found ten perfect matches, you will get a million dollars. And of course we won’t reveal which matches were right, you’ll have to find that out by yourselves. Let’s go then.”

As with the first match up, everyone was tense as they were waiting for the lights to turn on. But for a while, nothing happened.

“Wait no matches? That can’t be,” Xiumin muttered. Just when he spoke, the first of the lights switched on. Rather than cheering several sighs of relief could be heard. For a second, they had thought all matches were wrong. But now, they had found at least one perfect match.

When the second light switched on, they cheered loudly. They were now in the same spot they were last week. Would something else happen? Had they made progress?

And just like that, another light switched on. Several people jumped from their chairs excitedly, three lights meant they were going forward.

“We can do this!” Seulyi shouted.

“I wonder if we found all the matches,” Mark commented.

But just as they were all getting excited, nothing more happened.

“Good job everybody. This week you have found three perfect matches. Good luck, and I’ll see you next week, at the boys’ challenge.”

 


Writing cheesy stuff is hard, I'm sorry if the WooMi date failed >.<;

Also, I was never taught how to calculate odds, so Sunggyu's math could be 100% wrong xD