Chapter 6

Set Me Free

Chapter 6

 

 

     The SNSD members were shocked, mad, and perplexed when their manager announced that they will no longer perform as nine, but instead as eight – without the second main vocalist.

 

 

“The hell?! Oppa, this isn’t something to be joked around!” Hyoyeon burst out, her flaring nostrils indicating her rage.


 

“Haha, Oppa, you’re joking right..?” Yoona nervously smiled and gave a small nudge to the only man in the practice room.

 

 

“Oppa…..hahaha this ain’t for real, right? Are you pranking us because of our prank last month? This is a prank….right, Oppa?” the always calm leader broke out of her calm façade while holding her sobs and stared intensely at their manager, demanding the truth. The man, Hyun Shik put both his hands on his hip and let out an exasperated sigh before timidly looking at the eight girls that stood after him, all mixed feelings involved in waiting for his answer. One wrong move and he might be ripped to flesh by these people. He reached out for a brown-looking envelope in his pocket and gave it to the leader.

 

 

    Taeyeon hastily grabbed the item and tore off the seal. She was dying to see what information the piece of paper may have. Her curious eyes scanned through the document, eyes getting wider as seconds passed. The group members who were beside and behind her bit their lips while waiting for Taeyeon to finish reading.

 

“Taeng, what is that? It isn’t true, right? Sica is still with us, right?” Yuri who has been quiet during the whole ordeal began to speak. Tiffany, on the other hand shifts uncormfortably in her spot. She seems nervous, for she knew what Hyun Shik told them was no false information. Taeyeon dropped herself on the long couch, her physical body and mental mind unable to handle the shocking revelation. Sunny who was among the closest to Jessica took the paper out of her leader’s hands and read it out loud.

 

 

“I, Jessica Jung Sooyeon, hereby would like to thank everyone in SM Entertainment for their hard work and toleration towards me all these years. I acknowledge that my attitude is not the best one you can find out there, so I would also like to apologise to those who had difficulties in working with me. To the members, Soo Man Sajangnim, stylist unnies, choreography unnie, manager Oppa, sunbaes and hoobaes, thank you for letting me be a part of you. When this letter reaches to your hands, it means that I am officially no longer a part of Girls’ Generation and SM Entertainment. Thank you for your hard work and I hope the best for your future.”

 

 

“I hope the best for your future?! What kind of bat crap is that?! She doesn’t realize she IS part of our future does she?!” Yuri shouted at the innocent wall in frustration.

 

The tallest member of the group tugged her hair harshly and paced back and forth, muttering mantras to calm herself down.

 

“Unnie…*sobs* what do we do..?” the maknaes wailed in unison, baffled on the thoughts of being onstage without their precious unnie.

 

 

Hyun Shik could only give the girls a sympathetic look. He wanted to give a day off to the girls, but they had an oncoming show in Taiwan and there’s no way to cancel that.

 

 

“Girls, I’m sorry, I really want to give some break to you guys, but unfortunately the show must move on. Come on, get ready, we’re leaving to the airport in thirty minutes.” He felt bad for ordering the girls to work when they’ve just lost a family member, but it was his duty so he gave one last small smile to the girls before exiting the place.

 

 

 

Taeyeon rested her back on the couch with her eyes closed, pondering on why Jessica could’ve left. ‘Why did Sica leave…? Was our schedule too much for her? But I could’ve persuade the company to cut some of our shows…but she won’t even talk to me…omg what do I do without her now? …she’s gone…’ the blonde girl cupped her face with both of her hands, trying so hard not to break down in front of her members. A hand landed on her shoulder and gave her a little squeeze before the person bent down to whisper to her.

 

 

“Taeyeon-ah, it’s not your fault, alright? Jessi happens to, I don’t know, found a new path to live. Don’t cry, okay?”

 

 

“Gomawoyo, Fany-ah. I just..It’s too sudden and hard to believe. I need time to process this. I’ve gotta meet her.” Taeyeon stood up from her seat and rush to the door but Tiffany got hold of her hand.

 

 

“I know it’s hard, it is for all of us too. Take a look at our members. They’re a mess. But we have a show and we’re leaving in ten minutes. So come on Taeyeon, we need our leader now.” Tiffany knew Jessica’s departure took its best toll on Taeyeon but someone’s gotta give the group a little push or their future is doomed.

 

 

 

Taeyeon sighed and nodded her head. “Okay, yeah, you were right. I’m sorry.” She took a deep breath to regain her focus and continued. “Guys, it was a devastating news for all of us, I know. And it hurts like hell. But we’ve gotta be professional right now, our fans are waiting.”

 

 

 

“Professional?! Excuse me, Taeyeon, who’s going to sing AND dance her parts? In case you have forgotten, most of our choruses in our songs are either sang by you or her. Our performance will be ruined without Jessica! And you, are you able to sing the adlibs all alone? Who’s being unprofessional right now?” Sooyoung huffed out her frustrations.

 

 

Taeyeon put her hands in the air, signaling she doesn’t want to fight. Being the leader, she has always stayed calm in times like this and finds a way out. She knows best not to raise her volume as well. “I know, Sooyoung-ah. Trust me, we’ve been together for like what, almost half of our lives? But then again, it’s not only us who are involved. The fans would be disappointed and mad if we don’t show up, the company’s gonna suffer a huge lost, and our name, Girls’ Generation would be tarnished.” Taeyeon sobbed a little and choked out, “I want Sica back, too. So much. But this is our job. We have to do this. And after all this has ended, let’s bring Sica back, alright?”A tear escaped her eyes and she quickly brushed it off with the back of her hand. Sooyoung hung her head down and mumbled a sincere apology to Taeyeon before hugging her.

 

 

“Wait, Fany-ah, you’re one of the closest to Sica but you seem unsurprised to the news. Why is that?” Hyoyeon questioned because she knew the pink monster is an emotional person, especially when it comes to matters like this. Sunny who had just finished wiping away her tears joined in too when she saw Tiffany shifting nervously in her spot.

 

 

“Yeah, Fany, why aren’t you looking the slightest bit sad upon hearing the news?”

 

“C-come on guys, what’s all this? I am sad, I just…mask it better than you guys.” The eye-smiling girl cursed inwards at her stuttering and her lame excuse. ‘You’re the biggest drama queen in the group, Tiffany! What was that just now?! “mask it better than you guys”?? Oh God I’m gonna screw up.’ Tiffany felt all eyes were on her, so she took a step back – only to stumble backwards when Taeyeon suddenly appeared in front of her with scrutinizing eyes and both hands on her hips. The shorter blonde used her ‘leader’ voice – a tone she only uses when she needs to reprimand her bandmates.

 

Stephanie . Hwang. Miyoung. What are you hiding from us?” Tiffany shivered a little and bit her lips while looking intensely on the floor, hiding her eyes from her scary current leader.

 

 

“I-I..ugh please don’t be mad at meeeeee…” the American pleaded to all in presence, and made puppy eyes just to escape the wrath of the leader she fears the most when she is angry. The members all nodded and urged her to go on with her story.

 

 

Flashback

 

“Guys, guys. Please bring Taengoo to her room. I need a moment with Jessi.” All of them nodded as if giving Tiffany the authority to handle the matter.

 

 

 

“*sighs* Jessi, what’s up?” The other girl crossed her arms and merely raised her eyebrows.

 

 

“What were you guys talking about?” Her question was met with a shrug.

 

 

“Jung Sooyeon, I’ve known you for years now and I know better to not beat around the bush. What matters do you have with Soo Man Sajangnim?”

 

 

“What are you saying, Miyoung-ah, I don’t understand~” Jessica playfully retorted and called Tiffany’s Korean name in hopes she’ll get mad and the topic of their intended conversation changes.

 

*In non-flashback convo, the bolded words are for stressed words, in flashback,, bolded words are for English words*

 

Jessica! You know I’m not playing with you right now! What did you discuss with Soo Man Sajangnim? And don’t kid me, I’ve heard your convo with Soojung as well when I sneaked up behind Taeyeon.” Tiffany folded her arms and shot Jessica a glare, demanding answers from her fellow American friend.

 

 

Jessica sighed heavily before placing her on her bed with her hands claped together.She looked up to Tiffany and smiled sadly.

 

“Before I tell you this, and I’m telling only you because you’re the closest to me and I feel bad if I didn’t tell you this, please do not make a ruckus out of this?” Tiffany squinted her eyes, feeling suspicious but nodded anyway.

 

“And no screaming or shouting, okay?”

 

The slightly taller girl hesitated on agreeing, but the curiosity gets the best of her. “You got yourself a deal. Now spill it woman!”

 

“I-I’m actually leaving…..SM Entertainment..”

 

Tiffany nodded her head before processing Jessica’s words.  “You’re leaving..Hmm.. YOU’RE WHAT?! SME?! Then….then what about us? SNSD?!”

 

The Ice Princess immediately jumped out of her bed to cup her bandmate’s mouth. “Shhh! You’ll tell the whole dorm!”

 

“MPPHHH!” The girl struggled against the death grip on and tapped Jessica’s hands to let go of her. 

 

“Wait, do you still stay with us or not?” Tiffany asked, confused about her statement. Jessica facepalmed herself, wondering why Tiffany was labelled as the ‘manager’ when she is this clueless.

 

“No, Fany-ah. I’m quitting. Performing, SME…and..the group.” Tears start to fall from the latter’s beautiful eyes.

 

“*sob* but..but *sob* then.. what-how can we continue? What’s the reason you quit? Isn’t there anything that would make you stay? Don’t you care about us?!” the black haired girl burst out in tears, feeling betrayed by her member.

 

Jessica hugged Tiffany’s waist and coaxed her while her own eyes were threatening to create a waterfall.. “Shhh, baby, I’m so so sorry, but I can’t tell you the reason. I know..*sob*  it’s really unfair of me to do so, but I have to. It’s dragging me down, Fany-ah.”

 

 

“I-is it confirmed? H-has Sajangnim approved  your r-resignation? Tiffany thought she will hear the word ‘resign’ from her and her members a few more years from now, but never had she expected that she is to use it so soon because of a member.

 

Still in the hugging position, Jessica nodded against her shoulder. “C-can I at least know when will you…g-go?”

 

“*sigh* umm, I-I don’t really know… I’m still waiting for Sajangnim’s call. But maybe.. next month, around mid May..?”

 

“A-and I can’t tell the members about t-this?”

 

The second eldest member of SNSD put both of her delicate hands on Tiffany’s shoulder and made the latter turn to face her. “Steph, I know it’ll be hard on you…b-but believe me, I’m going through m-much worse. It’s a decision I’ve come to a-after thinking a-about it for a long time…and this..is my last favor Fany-ah…T-they must not know of this..*sobs* I’m s-so sorry..”

 

 

Flashback Ends

 

 

 

Taeyeon fumed with anger but still tried to restrain herself from shouting at the poor girl in front of her. Despite her self-control, the tone of her voice filled with much venom that poor Tiffany trembled in fear.

 

“So you mean you knew all of this beforehand and didn’t even bother to tell us? What are we, toys to play with?” Taeyeon’s fierce glare made the girl bow her head down and stared intensely at the floor, her eyes starting to water and lips forming a small pout. The leader felt bad for scolding her and softened her voice.

 

“I know Sica asked you for a favor, Fany-ah, but this isn’t something small. It involves all of us. Our future together.” Tiffany looked up to Taeyeon’s eyes and her members’ timidly with an apologetic expression.

 

 

“B-but there’s still a way to get her back..” the scared girl spoke out. All of the members gathered around as her statement perks up everyone’s interest.

 

“U-umm Sica had mentioned that she’s supposed to quit around mid of next month, but it’s only April. And I’ve asked Soo Man Sajangnim, he said that it’s true..”

 

“And..your point is?”

 

“My point is, it’s only end of April, which means her leave is not confirmed yet. Which also means that we could persuade her not to go, then maybe she would change her mind. The reason I wasn’t as sad as you guys is because I plan to confront her later, on my own.”

 

“We’re a team, Fany, we’ll come with you.” Yuri chirped in.

 

“Yup, we’ll do just that. But in the meantime, let’s get ready. Manager Oppa is already waiting downstairs.”

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s note : Hello lovelies! I’m sorry for such a long hiatus. I’m actually facing a constant writer’s block, even now, and I’ve tried to overcome it but I failed. So that’s why this chapter is extra long, to make it up to you guys. Another reason I didn’t update is because I don’t wanna post a trashy chapter….but I think this one is trashy as well, lol. I’m so sorry guys. I almost gave up on this but once in a while there will be someone commenting “please update soon” and I feel very bad. I won’t ever abandon this, that is my promise. Aaaand please forgive me hahaha. Any ideas are welcomed :DD