chapter 4

Set Me Free

The girls were just lazing around the dorm during their break, playing video games, attending to their nails, eating ( mainly Sooyoung and Yoona lol ) and some were just playing their phones. Jessica was packing her small stuffs into a box in order to move out from the dorm when her phone rang loudly in the living room, playing one of their songs in the Mr Mr album, Goodbye.

 

Tiffany who was siting on the dining table’s chair while painting her nails was closest to Jessica’s phone and reached for it. ‘Lee Soo Man sajangnim? Why did he call Jessi?’

 

“Jessi, your phone!” Jessica scrambled through her messy room and hurried to Tiffany. She grabbed her phone and muttered a small “Thanks” to the eye smiling girl before widening her eyes at the caller’s name.

 

Tiffany was puzzled on why their CEO made a personal call to her friend and not calling all of them at once. She looked over to Jessica who looked quite uneasy answering the call as her figure retreated into her room before closing the door. The American girl let out a shrug and made a mental note to ask her other American half later.

 

Jessica made sure she closed the door before sliding the green button on her phone screen.

 

“Yeobeoseyo, sajangnim? Is there any problem regarding my..you know..” she trailed off because she wasn’t really comfortable talking about her departure out loud, especially inside the dorm where all the girls are in. Her heart clenched at the thought of her having to leave her family of nine she had developed for years.

 

“Yes, umm regarding that, I’m sorry Sooyeon, I’ve tried my best but your retreat from the group has to be postponed.”

 

“But Sajangnim, waegureee? Isn’t there anything I can do to help?” Jessica spoke worriedly while biting her fingernails.

 

“The thing is, we need to look over on how to replace your parts, the choreography and all. You do realize you’re SNSD’s main vocalist alongside Taeyeon right? All of SNSD’s songs has your voice in it. A distinct sound of SNSD. And with your absence, it will definitely disrupt the formation of the choreo, Sooyeon-ah.” Soo Man said carefully.

 

Jessica took her phone away for a bit and let out a sigh while holding her forehead. There was a reason why she was also a main vocalist. Tiffany could only hit low notes and her high notes sounded strained plus she has nodules and Seobaby’s singing and breathing is not so stable.

 

“So..it’s going to be delayed right? Yeah, I totally forgot how this will affect the group so much. I’m so sorry for troubling you, uncle.”

 

“It’s okay, but are you sure this is what you really want?” the older man on the other line was still hoping for a change in mind in the younger girl.

 

“Y-yes. So when’s the soonest I could..leave?” She might be stuttering but she was sure of her decision.

 

Hearing the question that came from Jessica’s mouth, Soo Man knew the girl was determined and nothing could stop her. “I am not sure yet, but I’ll be reaching out to you soon alright? Don’t worry about this, you have contributed a lot too.”

 

“Dae, uncle. Thank you so much for your help, and again, I’m sorry.” Jessica held a sob as she thinks about the trouble she had caused for her beloved CEO for her resignation.

 

“Sooyeon-ah, like I said, it’s not really a huge problem. Though I’ll be missing my other daughter soon. Hmm, but Sooyeon, if you want to change your mind about this, you could always ring me, you know? I’m only a call away and cutting of this deal we have is definitely not a problem for me. Take care dear, I know you’re having some hard time. Sort it out nicely.” Soo man replied in a fatherly tone.

 

His reply made Jessica felt really guilty and sad as she, too, knew that she’d be losing a lot more than just avoiding her pain. Her sisters, her father, her family in SME. Only her memories would stay. But despite all of those, she had already vowed to herself and was really determined about her decision.

 

“Alright uncle. I will give you a call if I do so, but I most probably won’t. Again, thank you and have a nice day.” With a bye from the other line, the call ended just like that. Jessica held the phone to her chest and began to sob uncontrollably.

 

‘Is this really a wise thing to do? I’ve tried to stop loving her but I can’t control my heart… It hurts so much getting ignored, getting mixed signals about everything but not having my feelings reciprocated… And now she’s starting to act like a sister to me..but I want more than that..’

 

 

After what it seemed like hours of crying, Jessica was exhausted and crawled to her bed for a nap. Before she could do so, a knock was heard. 

 

"Jessi, are you in there?"

 

 

A/N :  Hullooo, sorry for the long wait (if anyone’s still reading this lol). I figured I’ll update this one first since this is my first since 2012 lol. So I was wondering, do you guys want Sica out of snsd or for her to stay? And umm this story kinda relates to me as well, just like Sica, I’ve had a crush on this guy for such a long time, I got mixed signals but in the end I just give up because it hurts so much lol. It’s really hard to move on since I actually loved him but yeah I’m fine hahahaa. And about Taeyeon, I also avoided studying in my class just not to see him (I was in a boarding school so during free periods we’ll study either at class, library or in our rooms). Just telling you guys this because I thought it’ll make you guys understand on why Sica and Taeyeon act like that. Kbyeee~~