CHAPTER ONE: THE NEW GIRL

I Adore You

“Did your brother have breakfast?” Dad asked, looking up from his newspaper when I sat down for breakfast the following morning. I woke up pretty uncomfortable, since my twin intentionally tried to make ways to kick me out of the room, which he was successful of that I ended up sleeping on the couch. Cold and uncomfortable.

“He left pretty early.” I told him while munching at my mom’s bacon and egg. I love bacon and egg! I haven’t told them what happened last night so I was distracting myself with the food. It would never happen again, I assured myself. I would never see that guy again anyway.

“Looks like he’s excited for your first day of school. Didn’t want to be late!” My mom chirped in, giving my dad a peck on the cheek. She sat beside him and started making her coffee.

“I’m pretty sure that’s not the case. He hates me being around him.” I shrugged. Anyway, I don’t really like it either.

“Why? Why would he do that?”

“He wants to be cool but his sister’s boring and a nerd.” I fixed my fake eyeglasses with my right hand and continued finishing the last of my bacon. I also didn’t want to be late for school, especially when I still don’t know how to get there.

“I’m going.” I told them and gave them both a peck on their cheeks.

“Good luck on your first day! Remember your “imnidas” and your “oppa”!”

I laughed at my mom’s reminder before leaving the house. She sure knows her Korean. Good thing though that I’ll be attending an International School where they speak English. My Korean is pretty good anyway so I won’t have any problems. Hey, my dad’s Korean and I grew up speaking the language.

Once I was out of the house, the crisp of cold air blew upon my face. Seems like the air is telling me that everything’s going to be okay. I know it’ll be hard to adjust but I’ll try my best to manage. Besides, I may be stuck here forever, so why not try to appreciate every little things in this new environment? I would never have another chance to experience it for the first time all over again.

I checked my map and it says I should take a bus then walk a bit and I’ll be in my school in no time. It’s a pretty easy route and given my sense of direction, I would be there safe and sound.

I followed the instructions and believing in my skills, I arrived in my school on time. It was weird having all these kids on fashionable uniforms and talking so loud like it’s the first time they’ve seen each other for a very long time. I ignored it, hoping that my transferring here won’t be a problem.

I made my way through a bunch of girls talking excitedly from the front steps. I couldn’t help but eavesdrop because the topic was interesting.

“Aigoo! I heard there’s a new student in campus! He looks American!”

“Jinja? Nugu?”

“I think it was Hansol…Vernon? I don’t know but he’s cute!”

“Oh! Cuter than Kim Mingyu?”

“Hmm…”

“Ohh! He is that cute?”

“I don’t know. I’m so confused right now! Mingyu might hate me!”

“As if he even knows you!”

After overhearing this, I think attending this school would be more fun than I expected it to be. There are actually girls who fan girls towards their schoolmates! I was curious though, who might this Kim Mingyu be?

Shrugging the thought off, I continued my way towards the administration office to get my schedule, afraid of not getting late. Who wants to be late in class, especially in the first day? I may leave a bad impression if I do that.

After getting my schedule, I looked for my locker to put my stuff into. My bag’s a bit heavy and putting out some weight will make me more comfortable. Upon arriving at my locker, I saw a group of guys walking down the hallway, teasing and playing around. They seem fun and friendly, I hope I can be friends with them someday. Besides, I still have two years to get to know everyone. Unless their culture is different here?

“All students, please proceed to the auditorium for the welcoming assembly! Thank you!” A voice from the speaker hanging at the corner said and everyone in the hallway immediately followed the instructions. Some were even so excited they even had to run.

Clueless of where the auditorium might be, I followed where everyone was going and sat at the farthest side of the auditorium once I got there. I am such a loner. Where the hell is my brother!?

Vernon might be somewhere trying to be delinquent to get attention from everyone in school. I couldn’t find him in the crowd. But I’m sure he’s here because people were talking about him. Good for him, one step closer to being popular.

I looked around and everyone was so organized and disciplined, unlike the place where I came from. Back home, students won’t even care going to these kind of assemblies. Most of them would just skip this part of the first day and hang around with their friends, already planning their party. But here, everyone was quiet, some talking here and there, but it was relatively peaceful. And I like it.

Several people came up the stage to say their welcoming speeches and introducing the school. The speeches were just short, allowing the students to go back to their classes and start the new school year. However, before they let us out, a guy went to the mic and announced “To all transfer students, please wait outside the auditorium. You are all excused in your first period.” The guy seems nice and he kinda gives off a joker aura. His smile was cute.

Trying to be polite and patient, with the hope of finally seeing my brother in school, I followed the instructions and waited outside the auditorium. I was expecting to be alone, but to my surprise, there were already three people waiting outside, quietly surveying the crowd. And what a news, all of them were guys.

Two guys were talking to each other in a language I can’t understand but I knew it was in Chinese. Maybe the two were transferees from China. And the other guy, alone and waiting patiently, was just there, looking at nothing in particular. When I approached them, everyone smiled and greeted me. They were nice people, I could already tell.

“Transferee too?” the quiet guy with a brown hair asked, with a smile that probably could melt some girls’ heart. Too bad I’m not part of those “some”. I could tell he was nice and friendly. A gentleman. There was something about his eyes that secures me. And that smile!

I nodded at his question and his eyes suddenly lightened up.

“Cool. Where are you from?”

“New York.” I shrugged. “How about you?”

“LA.” He smiled again. He’s really cute! “Jun and Minghao there are from China.” He said, nodding towards the two, who were smiling shyly at me. I think I just melted. These guys surrounding me are cute! You may call it lucky, but really, no. Being around the cute guys is dangerous. People always mistaken you to be such a flirt, which I am not. I just grew up with a handsome brother and they always hate me for it. It’s not my fault!

“Welcome transferees!” The guy who spoke in front a while ago approached us with a very welcoming smile. “I am Seungkwan, the head of the welcoming committee in Keimyung University!”

Seungkwan is adorable. He lightened up the mood. The guy behind him, who delivered a speech earlier stepped forward and shook everybody’s hands.

“Hi. I’m Dokyum, your current Student Council President. Nice to meet you all.” The smile on his eyes were undeniably comforting. His smile was contagious. “Welcome to Keimyung.” He opened his arms in a funny way and all of us laughed. These two sure know how to make people laugh. They’re both a breath of fresh air!

“Welcome, welcome!” Seungkwan clapped his hands and stood straight like he was from the military. He’s so cute! “You’re supposed to be five.” He frowned, checking his clipboard. Vernon!

“Uh--,”

“Anyway!” He cut me off. “We are here to tour you around the school premises and we will also be seating with you guys in lunch. All new students are offered a complementary lunch of the day to welcome you to our beautiful university, Keimyung. Here, you’ll not only be able to create your academic portfolio worth looking at, but also, form new valuable and good camaraderie with other people! I hope you enjoy your stay and appreciate everything Keimyung has.”

“Do we really have to tour? It’s not like we haven’t seen everything.” Jun said calmly, avoiding to sound rude. I know what he meant, although I’m really gonna be needing that tour.

“Very well,” Seungkwan paused. “How do you like to hear some tips to get girls?” Immediately, Jun and Minghao followed him, which made me laugh. The guy from LA was laughing as well.

“I’m sorry, that’s Seungkwan. He really likes telling new students the Keimyung University story. He just loves talking too much.” Doyum chuckled, his arms folded across his chest.

“I’ll be leaving you guys to Seungkwan now. I have to get to class.” He smiled again and left us.

“He’s so nice.” I murmured.

“Yeah. I agree. He’s nice.” He nodded. “I’m Joshua, by the way.” He offered me his hand.

“Sara. It’s nice to meet you.” I shook it and smiled.

“Maybe we should catch up and hear Seungkwan’s stories. He might get upset if we don’t.”

“Yeah.” I chortled. “Let’s go!”