CHAPTER FIVE: MYSTERIOUS NEIGHBOR

I Adore You

A/N

Before anything else, I'd like to apologize for the errors (whatever it maybe) I made for this chapter. I'll try to edit it as soon as I can! For the mean time, I hope you enjoy this chapter :)

-Lyss

 

~

“So how’s your first day?” Mom asked us, as she sat across me, drinking from her glass of water. And finally, for the first time today, Vernon and I got together in a few feet radius. I looked up and he was giving me the stare of don’t-tell-mother-what-I-did. I scowled at him, debating whether or not to be eaten up again with my nice sister-act.

“It was fine, mom. Right sis?” Vernon faked a smile and I was surprised mother bought it. I didn’t say anything. I’d rather stay quiet than lie to mother about what Vernon has gotten into.

“Really? That’s good, did you find new friends?”

“Yeah. They’re cool.”

I think my mom noticed my silence when she asked me “How about you, Sara?”

I glanced sideways at Vernon. “Yeah, actually I did. I met with the new transferees and the school’s welcoming committee. They were so nice, I think I belong to a nice crowd.” I turned to my mom and gave her a genuine smile.

“That’s really nice to hear! At least your first day went really well.” She grinned, touching both our hands.

“I heard that my boss’s son attends Keimyung as well. Did you happen to meet a Choi?” Dad asked enthusiastically and the name felt very familiar. Suddenly, Vernon spoke with much enthusiasm as my dad and the grin on his face suddenly felt real.

“Oh! Choi? Choi Seungcheol?” He said excitedly. I cringed.

“Yes. Did you meet him?”

“Yeah, dad! He’s really cool. He has mad basketball skills and he has a really nice car!” Oh my god, my brother is obsessed with the evil person!

“Thought so. He’s the son of our president. They’re very rich.”

“Who doesn’t really have manners.” I whispered in spite, playing with the chopsticks I was holding. I didn’t look up, hoping no heard me but I knew Vernon did because he threw me a deadly glare. Why am saving his again? Why am I suppressing what I really feel for the sake of my brother? Well, I honestly don’t know but I’ll just ignore the fact that he’s friends with popular people and he doesn’t care about me and what I feel about it. I will not tell my parents how my brother treated me like I’m a mere stranger to him.

After dinner, I went straight to our room and did some of my home works. I’ll try my best to keep up to the standard of education in this school, because it’s the only way I could maintain my scholarship. Without that, I would be nothing.

I suddenly remembered everyone who were so nice to me. Especially Joshua. He’s the nicest person I have ever met and he’s really funny in a way I could only know. He’s quite quiet at times which really matches my personality. I’m not saying that I already have a crush on him, but he’s really nice. I still have a lot of things to discover about him before I get to that stage. And besides, I don’t want to ruin anything. And it’s only the first day of school anyway. A time to get first impressions.

I heard my brother talking with somebody on the phone, and he was laughing so hard. I tried ignoring him but he was just too loud.

I tried to focus on the book I was reading and then my phone rang. I grabbed my phone to see a message and it was from Joshua. I smiled.

Hey r u busy? – Joshua

I closed my book and typed:

Not rly. Wasup? – Sara

I was wondering, do u know any place to hangout near the school? – J

I paused. I am just new and I know nothing. I decided whether or not I would research for but I chose the latter and tried to be honest with him.

Sorry, no. Haven’t been exploring. :( – S

I waited for his reply which arrived five minutes later and what it said made me blush.

Do u want 2 explore w/ me? :) – J

Is he asking me out? But it’s too early to assume. Maybe he’s just asking me because he doesn’t know where to go as well.

Yes. Sure. When? – S

How abt tmrw after last period? – J

That’s fine. See u :) – S

Yeah. See u! – J

I don’t know how to feel. Maybe I should not assume anything. Sara, calm down.

“Sara!” My mom called out from the kitchen. I reluctantly went out and found my brother gone again and my dad was resting inside their room.

“Yes mom?”

“I borrowed this earlier from Mrs. Jeon next door.” She handed me a pan. “Tell her thank you and sorry for the inconvenience, okay?”

“You borrowed a pan?” I frowned.

“Yes. I don’t know where I placed our pan earlier and it was almost time for dinner so I decided to just borrow. I just found it earlier.” She smiled.

“Okay. I’ll be back.”

I grabbed my coat and went out to the coldness of South Korea. It was freezing. I held the pan inside my coat and then walked towards the house next to ours. The house was a traditional hanok and it looked old from the outside but it was beautiful. It’s like I was brought back to the past.

I knocked on the door and waited for a few minutes. I knocked again and suddenly, the door opened and I was literally frozen, now standing in front of a guy I never knew I would ever have interactions with.

I was standing, eyes wide, in front of one of the V line. It was the mysterious guy with the dark black hair named Wonwoo, but he was wearing specs. I wonder if they were real?

“What is it?” He said with a calm voice and a poker face. He didn’t show any emotions and I suddenly felt awkward. Seems like he doesn’t recognize me even though I literally look like Vernon in front of a mirror. He wasn’t even surprised or something. Weird.

“Uhm, I..I was just…”

“Is it for my mom?” He kept his eye contact with me and I hope he didn’t notice my cheeks burning. I’ll just use the cold for an excuse.

“What?” I stuttered.

“The pan. Is it my mom’s?”

“Oh!” I handed him the pan and he grabbed it nonchalantly. “Uhm…Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.” I stammered and immediately walked away. What the hell was that, Sara? I looked like a talking signage of a construction!! I bit my lip in embarrassment and frowned. My social skills are really, really below the standard level.

I ran into our house and immediately locked myself inside my room, ignoring my mom’s question which I didn’t hear well. I was just too embarrassed and I can feel my cheeks burning and my heart pounding so fast. I shouldn’t have run.

Oh my god, how can I face him in school? What will he think of me? Maybe he’s thinking “Who the hell is that person who looks like Vernon?” or maybe “Vernon’s twin is crazy.” I don’t know what to do I just…

Or maybe I’m just overthinking? Maybe he just merely doesn’t care and doesn’t really know me at all. Okay, he doesn’t know me. I think. Oh forget about it Sara, not like you did anything wrong.

I’ll just pray that Jeon Wonwoo won’t even remember me. He’s just too popular to even give me his attention.