CHAPTER TWO: THE V LINE

I Adore You

The morning was exhausting, having to listen to Seungkwan’s stories about the school. He said the school has been around for a century, which would be celebrated later in the year, and has been the top most performing school in South Korea. Good thing I was able to pass the entrance exam when I was still in New York. They give out scholarships to people who topped the exam, which Vernon and I fortunately got and it also helped my family a lot. We’re both exempted in paying the tuition fee.

They said the tuition fee here is so expensive that not everyone can get in. Sons and daughters of company executives enroll in the school, sometimes even use their power to belong. No wonder why everyone are competitive and wanted to be at the top.

I attended my second period, Math, and it was pretty okay for a first day of school. I was asked to introduce myself, which was fine, however, some girls were raising their eyebrows at me, giving me a head to toe. I didn’t really mind though because I was so used to that back home. And besides, I look Caucasian in the first place.

I tried really hard to stay low, or maybe find a nice person to befriend with. But I found no one. Perhaps everyone’s shy in the first day. Or perhaps, they just don’t really like befriending new people like me. Especially someone who doesn’t look like them. Okay, I accept the discrimination, but couldn’t they just be human and be friendly and sociable?

When it ended, I was looking forward to lunch. Finally, people who are in the same situation as me. People who understand the feeling of being left out.

Seungkwan welcomed me at their table where new faces were eating and chatting. I felt shy at first but it doesn’t really matter. I just shrug it off since being shy won’t lead me anywhere.

“You’re Sara Chwe, right?” Seungkwan asked before introducing me to 4 or five people on the table. I can’t count at the moment, sorry.

“Guys! This is Sara. She’s from New York.” They all welcomed me and gave me a warm smile.

“This is Dino,” he pointed at a guy with black hair awkwardly cut in the bangs, “Woozi,” a guy with pink hair and I couldn’t tell his year…”Wendy,” a cute girl with a small smile, and “Hoshi.” The blonde guy with a very funny move when he shook my hand. Everyone seemed nice and it was a relief.

“Hey, you were in my Math class!” The guy with pink hair, Woozi said.

“Really? Sorry, I wasn’t able to notice you.” I blushed.

“That’s fine. He’s too short to be--,” Seungkwan paused, holding a laugh.

“Yeah right, Boo.” Woozi rolled his eyes and pouted.

“Woozi-hyung, I was just joking.” Seungkwan suddenly hugged him from the back.

“Ew! Get off me!”

“Hyung, saranghe!”

“Ugh! Hajima!”

“Hyung, mianheyo!”

The two teased each other and I was laughing so hard. They were like two cute little bunnies fighting over a carrot!

“I’m sorry, it’s always like this. Always.” Hoshi whispered to my ears and I felt my whole face turned red. Why did he do that for? It made me uncomfortable, but at the same time relieved. At least, they’re not discriminating people unlike my first class.

The bunch seems like nice people and they could be my good friends. I couldn’t stop laughing at Seungkwan’s jokes and hits, and Hoshi was entertaining me very diligently. He’s really super nice to me. Dino was as playful as Seungkwan, and I realized that they were a year younger than me. Both were so funny and soft hearted. Wendy was just sitting there, watching them fool around, without saying anything. She hasn’t spoken since we’ve met. Maybe she’s just warming up.

The rest of the new students gathered, and Dokyum, and we ate the complementary lunch together. I also figured out that Dino, Woozi, Hoshi and Wendy were also part of the Welcoming Committee. While eating, I suddenly wondered where Vernon could be. He’s missing a really good meal! Too bad he missed this.

“Uh, have you guys seen--,” Seungkwan checked his clipboard again “H-Hansol Vernon Chwe?” He frowned at the paper and then he looked at me. “Chwe? You’re a Chwe right?” I nodded.

“Vernon is my twin brother.” I explained and that got their attention, looking at me like I’m a sort of a criminal.

“Oh. He is? Like, a boy version of you?” Dino asked.

“Well, kind of. But really, even though our faces are almost identical, our personalities are way distant from each other. I don’t understand him sometimes.” I shrugged, still bitter about what he did to me last night, kicking me out of the room.

“Wait, did you say twin?” Hoshi asked and I looked at him, however, he was looking at a different direction.

And suddenly, everyone in the cafeteria were screaming so loud like they’ve seen celebrities. Some girls even lined up in front of the entrance, holding gifts and random stuff to give away.

I craned my neck to get a better view and I think my jaw almost dropped. And it was not really because my twin was strutting down the hallway with four gorgeous people who almost blinded my eye sight because of their overflowing charisma. Well partly, but it is certainly because the guy who almost got me killed was leading the five people. My breath hitched in shock and slowly, I tried to hide from everyone.

He’s really gonna kill me this time. What a coincidence. Wow, fate how you amaze me.

“Wow, they’ve finally completed their line up.” Dokyum laughed beside me. I turned to him in confusion.

“Line up?” I asked. They picked Vernon to complete their line up!?

“Yeah.” He nodded softly, drinking the last of his soda. “There should be five people for the name ‘V’.”

“V??” I asked.

“That’s what they call them. The V line.” He shrugged. “V line is what their fans named them. The Visual line.”

So they really have this kind of group of popular guys? I thought it was only in K-dramas! And my twin brother is with them!! How could this be?? And that guy…

“The one with the very long grey hair, that’s Jeonghan. The Angel. Prettier than most girls, to be honest.” Hoshi chipped in. Jeonghan is so pretty for a guy. He’s even prettier than me.

“The one with short grey hair is Kim Mingyu. The Kim Mingyu. Popular with all the girls in town.” Dino said nonchalantly, moving forward to have a good view. So that is Kim Mingyu. He’s so tall and handsome, no wonder why I heard girls fan girling over him earlier.

“Then Wonwoo, the fit guy with the long black hair and black messenger bag. The lady killer. He uses his mysterious façade as his charm, and many fall for it. He’s just a quiet one, but he’s really dangerous. I just can feel it.” Seungkwan commented, scrutinizing every step Wonwoo takes across the cafeteria.

“And then there’s the young master.” Woozi added. I can sense contempt in his voice. I got goose bumps when I heard ‘Young Master’. It reminded me of last night. I suddenly became nervous as hell.

“Seungcheol. That guy.” Woozi sighed and shook his head. “He’s gotten more mysterious than he used to. And man, he’s gotten rude over the years, more moody and merciless. He’s mean and I don’t know. He’s so different from the Seungcheol I knew.”

Taking note of Woozi’s statement, I was able to conclude something. Woozi and Seungcheol were ones good friends. I could clearly see that.

“Yeah, Woozi was friends with Seungcheol before until something happened and Seungcheol left.” Dokyum said. “The two were close.”

“Why? What happened?” I turned to Woozi and waited for his story.

“Doesn’t matter. It won’t change anything anyway.” He stood slowly, grabbed his pink backpack and left the table. He seemed really upset. I bet it was so hard for him to accept that their friendship has gone.

“Long story,” Seungkwan half smiled.

Everything they told me made me create bad first impressions on the guys who are settling down the center table where girls gathered excitedly and expectantly. Vernon and I made eye contact and he gave me a smirk. A very rude smirk and it was maddening. How could he do this? How could he leave me here alone? Why is he with those guys he doesn’t even know??

“Be very honest, are they good people?” I asked Dokyum but he just chuckled at my inquiry.

“Only if you give them what they want.”

I swallowed. Oh my god, how did Vernon—

“Maybe your brother has something that Seungcheol wanted. And made a deal with him.” Dokyum said coolly. “But dealing with Seungcheol is like dealing with a devil.” What the hell has Vernon gotten into!? “Maybe it was a really good deal that they’ve finally found their fifth member, satisfying their supposed name. V. Five.”

I breathed in deeply and closed my eyes. Please tell me I’m dreaming!! My brother just got trapped into a devil’s hole and it’ll be impossible for him to get out! Just by hearing the stories, I could feel that Vernon’s in trouble. My twin brother! Even though we argue a lot, I still care for him no matter what. What will I tell my parents!?

When I opened my eyes and looked for Vernon, my eyes locked into familiar round black eyes and I suddenly felt helpless. I think this year will be my last year alive.

Seungcheol gave me a deadly stare and it felt like it was piercing right through me. Good bye life. I’m gonna miss you because I’m already saying good bye.

 

--

Hello guys! This is Lyss!

So what do you think about the story? What happened between Seungcheol and Woozi? What could be the deal Vernon made with Seungcheol? And why was Seungcheol staring at Sara?

Comment your reactions and we'll see what happens next :)