Introduction

I Adore You

My mom said this is what’s best for us—moving to South Korea. I have heard a lot about the place and I’ll admit that it’s a beautiful country. Its skyline is gorgeous and there are tons of tourist places you can go to, but when I visit them, I won’t be a tourist anymore. I’ll be a South Korean resident.

Moving away from home is definitely hard for me, since for 17 years I experienced life there. I was a girl who loves going on adventures, hanging out with friends and sometimes just stay at home and read my books. But now, I guess I have to adapt into a new culture with a new language.

I put down my bag and stared at my new bedroom. It’s small but it’ll do. I could already imagine where I would be putting my—

“We’re sharing this room?” My twin brother Vernon suddenly appeared beside me.

I was so surprised that I haven’t even planned how to use the room and now those plans won’t be even done. How could they do this to me?

“Sweetheart, we’re very sorry. This is all we can afford right now. Your father will look for a bigger house when he finally gets a regular job.” Mom sighed from the kitchen, which was almost just a few feet away from us. The house was so small, I think I’m going to suffocate. But I won’t blame them for this. I love my parents and I fully understand why we had to move here. This is the only place my dad could work for us.

“Aren’t you going to at least say ‘No’?” Vernon scowled at me, his right elbow leaning on the door frame while the other was in his pocket. He always tries to look cool in ways he can. My twin is my total opposite. He likes attention, especially girls’ attention and he would do anything to be that guy.

“Do we even have a choice?” I heard him groan in disappointment and stomped out of the room towards our mother.

“Mom, can’t we make a better arrangement for this? You can’t expect us to sleep in one room!” He whined and I just shook my head. My twin could really be a little too much sometimes.

“Why? Not like you didn’t come from the same uterus!”

“MOM!” We both cried. It really is embarrassing whenever she mentions that certain fact that I sometimes wish didn’t really happen. It’s not like I hate my brother but, can’t we at least agree with something once? He loves arguing with me and he always wins. But not today.

“Look, if you want to have your own room, you can sleep on the couch.” I dared him.

“No way. I can’t sleep on couches.”

“Oh! Maybe you wanted your own room because you like reading alone--,” I teased.

“Stop it! Fine! Let’s share rooms!” I laughed at his priceless face. He knew I can divulge all his secrets to mother and he will definitely regret it.

He left us without any word and accepted his defeat. My spoiled brat brother won’t have it this time.

My mom smiled at me as I approached her and helped her in unloading the stuff inside the boxes.

“Sweetheart, I’m really sorry.” She said softly, her hands gently touching my shoulders. I can see how tired she was and the lines on her forehead were showing.

“It’s totally fine, mom. We’ll be okay.” I assured her.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, mom. I know we’re going to get through this.” She hugged me tightly and kissed my cheeks.

“Thank you, Sara. You’re my good girl.” I smiled and hugged her back. I am surely gonna miss my hometown, but starting a new life with my family that for decades weren’t complete, would definitely be worth it.

 

--

Going out to the streets of our new town at night feels terrifying, especially when you don’t exactly know where to go. I blame Vernon for this. He should be the one doing this errand! If he didn’t disappear and went out to find a place to do whatever he wants to do, I wouldn’t be out here, alone and terrified. If only the convenience store was near our house!

I walked down the street finally able to find the nearest pharmacy. My mom needed some Paracetamol because of some head ache she got and I didn’t hesitate volunteering for her. That’s how much I care for her being. My dad’s out, having dinner with his boss that he wants to impress.

I can already see the bright light coming from the pharmacy when suddenly, I heard a screeching sound of a car coming towards me. I think I just saw my life flash before me. The feeling was horrifying, having to reflect on what you did for 17 years in just a split second. I was expecting for my vision to blur and turn into black but a shout made me come back to life. I was frozen, standing in front of a car which was just a few inches away from taking my life.

I was in shock that I didn’t even realize that a guy was trying to talk to me. No, he wasn’t even talking to me. He was just screaming at me.

“! Why weren’t you looking at where you’re crossing? I could’ve killed you!”

I stared at the guy’s round black eyes and it was terrifying. He looked at me as if he was gonna kill me twice. His black hair was shaped perfectly on top of his head, his pouty lips look kissable and I’ll admit, the guy was gorgeous. However, his attitude wasn’t which is a major turn off.

“Hey! Are you deaf? I asked if you were okay!” He asked if I was okay but he was shouting at me. I was at the brink of crying when a man in a clean tuxedo got out of the car and calmed the gorgeous guy down.

“Sir, I think the lady’s fine. Just get back in the car and I’ll handle this.” He said calmly, putting his hand on the mean guy’s shoulder.

“Yeah, handle it! I don’t like talking to stupid girls!” The mean guy went into the car and slammed his door pretty hard that I think it could’ve broken the car door. My tears fell and I didn’t know what to do. This is Vernon’s fault!

“Miss, are you hurt?” The guy asked, who looked older than me. He looks like in his 24s or 25s. I could already tell he is kind.

I nodded to his question while my tears won’t stop. I covered my face and tried to stop my tears from falling but I kept on failing.

“I’m really sorry for the young master’s attitude. He’s just in a really bad mood right now and he didn’t mean what he said.” As if he didn’t. And “Young master?” But I couldn’t care less.

“Is there anything I could do for you, miss? We caused you trouble and it is only right to help you. Perhaps a ride home?”

If I could only say yes to his offer. But I just couldn’t be with his Young master’s car even for a bit. His gorgeous face is such a façade that could fool anyone who dares reading.

“No. I’ll be fine. I’ll be okay.”

“Are you sure miss?”

“Yeah. And tell your young master that I am not stupid. He is. He was driving too fast.” I said in much contempt. It really was his fault! Not mine!

“All right miss. We must go. Again, I’m sorry for the trouble we've caused you. I hope you’ll be fine on your way.” He bowed and returned into the car. They left me shortly after, and before they left, I saw another glimpse of the mean guy’s face, and he really did look gloomy and miserable despite his gorgeous face, but I didn’t care any less. He still almost got me killed! I would never forget that face. I hope he gets his karma!

After getting the paracetamol for my mom, I immediately returned home and went to bed. The day was exhausting and tomorrow’s going to be my first day in school. I have to be ready. I have to forget what happened that night.