02: saved... or maybe not?

Another World
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 02: Saved... or maybe not?

Changhyun was awake or more like half dead when I returned from scavenging food for him. He had sunken eyes and pale skin from blood loss. I hurried to give him the long awaited food, his eyes lit up as he tore it apart. He devoured it like a wild beast. Maybe a baby wild beast? Somehow watching him eat was satisfying.

I remember in my past life, videos of kittens drinking milk would explode with more than a million views on youtube due to sheer cuteness. It was this kind of feeling watching Changhyun eat. 

Oh, did I not tell you? For some odd reason, my memories of my past life has remained with me. I remember it with great detail. I’ve kept this a secret thinking I was strange, but I’ve learned from books it’s nothing unusual in this world. 

It’s a common occurrence. Sometimes people only retain a general sense of their past selves. But for the majority, they will be born with no memory of their past selves. 

People don’t understand the meaning behind this or how it occurs. People don’t try to understand it, similar to how the general population of Earth doesn’t wonder why the Earth is round or why stars are scattered up in space the way they are. They accept life for what it is. 

Changhyun was too focused eating he didn’t seem to notice me staring like a stone statue. I had a soft spot for cute things because looking at adorable babies and animals filled me with warmth.  He wasn’t a baby or an animal, but I still felt the familiar warmth which I missed very much.

This world doesn’t have phones or technology. Of course the internet don’t exist either. The main reason being everyone can use magic to some extent. There’s no need for humans to study science. You can summon fire with words. If you’re sick, people will go to church for God’s blessing and they will be healed. 

Farmers don’t need to understand fertilization or seasons because they can just pray and the crops will grow without struggle. Is there not enough rain? Just hire a mage to summon water.

This world isn’t polluted with smog so there are no problems with global warming or weather like Earth. In the first place, I should stop comparing this place with Earth because none of Earth’s logic applies to this world. 

I told the fourth prince that I was going to bring him more food but really I’m going to abandon him. I’m not allowed to reveal my identity or talk with outsiders; I’ve already helped him enough by finding him a shelter.

I was going down the mountain, but my steps were slow. I’m not assured he will be okay. I tell myself I don’t have any responsibility for his life, but my thoughts wander back to two wandering attackers.

A sharp stab pierces the back of my neck and instantly my vision begins to blur. I reach for the back of my neck and find a poison needle.
, I’m too distracted. I realize I’m surrounded by enemies. I hurriedly cover the lower half of my face; hopefully they didn’t see my face.  I only have a flimsy dagger; I take a deep breath and close my eyes. Strength isn’t about who has the best weapon. As long as I concentrate, I’ll be able to win.

I could sense the same martial spirit as the attackers up in the mountain. They were hiding from plain view so I closed my eyes and listened for any unusual sounds.

When people are scared they will naturally breathe harder because their heart pumps faster. They will lose focus on unimportant en

Please log in to read the full chapter