06: dark palace

Another World
Please log in to read the full chapter

a/n: changjo has two names in this story, Jonghyun and Changjo. Changjo is the name Changhyun gave him. Jonghyun will refer to himself as Changjo or Jonghyun. I feel it might get messy if I start being too calculative with this part of the story. please enjoy =)

 

Chapter 6

Niel was bound in an unbreakable enchanted rope in front of the whole court. The councilors hissed amongst one another while the Emperor looked down on everyone with cold eyes. 

High councilor Ying bowed and presented a bloodied knife that had the crest of the crown prince.

“This knife was found impaled into the empress’ stomach. Her highness survived the attack, but she has yet to wake up from the conflict. The master clerics at the Palace of Healing are aiding the empress as we speak.” Councilor Ying bowed graciously and returned to his seat.

Niel tried his best to look dignified, but it was hard to breathe. The royal knights were torturing him all night by dunking his head underwater in attempts to get a confession out of him. The clerics at the dark palace healed him so he won’t die, but at this point it felt like he saw the gates of heaven one too many times. 

It was a hopeless situation because there was nothing to confess. He could do nothing but suffer hoping to make it alive to the next morning’s court assembly. 

“Crown prince, this is your knife. Explain yourself!” The emperor’s voice shook the room as he slammed his fist onto his golden chair.

Niel could only bite his own tongue and remain silent. In a situation like this, no words would be of help to him.

This dagger was encrusted with the royal emblem and was passed down to the crown prince of every generation. Niel never cared for the royal family heirlooms and treasures. He always kept it in his storage closet which he locked with his own magical finger print. He was the only person who could open the storage so he never thought to do an inventory check every now and then. 

The Emperor’s face grew scarlet with anger, “lock him up in the dungeons of the dark palace!”

The dungeons of the dark palace was enchanted with spirit stones which reacted to those with evil intentions in their hearts. In theory, this was a good idea. However realistically, whether the person was guilty or not it did not matter. No human is perfect; these spirit stones will delve into the darkest corners of the heart and drive the prisoner to suicide.

According to law, if the defendant survives a month in the dark palace dungeons they are innocent. But in the history of 900 years no human has come out of the dungeon alive. 

“His majesty is wise and full of grace. If the crown prince is innocent, he will suffer no consequences in the dark palace.” Councilor Ying bowed and prostrated onto the floor. All the other councilors followed suit and prostrated to the floor.

The two knights who was holding Niel hostage roughly pushed Niel’s head to the floor. 

“Thank you your highness,” Niel spoke through gritted teeth. Niel got up as the court adjourned. As Niel trudged to the exit of the Royal court room he spotted Minsoo standing in the far back corner. 

Minsoo was a shikigami of royal decent and bound by magic called a death seal which was a contract to die upon attempted assassination or rebellion of the royal family. They could not dare to cause havoc so as soon as Minsoo lost his job to serve the crown prince, he was moved to serve a different palace resident for the time being.

Most shikigamis lived a short life due to sacrifices protecting the royal family, it cost a lot of resources creating a single shikigami due to the nature of casting the death seal on them. So, the palace recycled all the shikigami’s they could afford to. Lucky for Minsoo, nobody knew he died and was revived without the death seal.

Minsoo’s face was complacent while he lightly fanned the emperor’s second concubine. She was attending the court to give the emperor moral support through this crazy case. 

‘All those years together…. The least that darn servant of his could do is show a bit of worry,’ Niel laughed at himself silently and cast his eyes to the floor while exiting the court. 

Minsoo’s hands trembled unnoticeably as he watched his master disappear to the dark palace. He had to use all his strength to maintain his composure.

Please log in to read the full chapter