A-List Interviews 2/2/16

p-sehyuk Times

I'm so proud today because the guests today are all A-list authors. They wrote many featured stories and gain many love from readers. For the first guest today, we have krismatics!

Q1: Hello author-nim, by looking at your username you must be a big fan of Exo right?

A: Hello!!! And yes I am~

 

Q2: What is your favourite genre when writing stories?

A: My favorite genre has got to be scifi/romance! I have done romantic comedies before and those were fun too but I definitely think scifi/romance is my favorite one through I'm venturing out into new ones I haven't tried before like the angsty theme found in 'Let Go'.

 

Q3: What story do you think is your best artwork yet?

A: So far I think 'Let Go' is my best work yet, not because it's the most recent and the one I remember best but because it's real. It's realistic and raw, the readers can see flaws within both main characters and there aren't many surprises within this story. There aren't any plot twists and instead the readers can see and expect what will happen next but at the same time I write it so that they want to read more. 'Let Go' is angst/romance themed and I thought instead of the crazy deep plots, I just wanted my readers to watch two broken people heal and love each other back to one piece. I also turned it into a short story for my creative writing class and hope to post the short story version of it soon!

 

Q4: When do you first know about kpop?

A: I don't remember exactly when but I think I was in 4th grade when I was exposed to it and now I'm in 11th grade- it's been a long time! My first kpop song ever was Wedding Dress by Taeyang.

 

Q5: Have anyone ever give karma points to you for nothing just because you're awesome?

A: Well I'm not sure about that haha! I don't pay attention to my karma points and I believed that I've only checked the transfers of karma points once or twice (most likely because I was clicking around lol) but if anyone ever did- thank you!

 

Q6: Have you ever feels like you want to stop writing at some point?

A: Never! I love writing! It's my rock my my readers are my Internet family and I care for all of them; I write to relieve stress and seeing their comments make my day. I know that one day I might have to take a break or slow the updates by tenfold but for now, I will write write write!

 

Q7: Do you have anything to say to the new authors out there?

A: New authors, write for yourselves before you write for others. Write so that it makes you happy, forget about the number of subbies and comments because those don't matter. I think new authors should write because they like to, not because they want others to compliment them. When I first started out writing here my stories were all private, it wasn't until my friend told me to make it public that it went live. I used to write for myself because I enjoyed it. Don't write for fame guys, write because you like writing :) 

Some people plan their stories and some don't, I personally dont. If I have a plot and a sense of what will happen, it starts there. I just open up a new chapter and write write write because it's then when all the new plot twist ideas pop up in your head, because you have nothing planned- whatever comes out comes out and lots of the time, along the way, you will be like 'oh! I should do this!' Or 'oh! If I put this in that would be so cool!'. 

Good luck writing!

 

 

Next is the owner of a contest and a recommendation list, Annie1017!

Q1: What story are you currently working on?

A: I'm currently very busy with school, so I haven't been working on much. I only have one on-going story right now, which is Scripted. I've been working on it for a while but it's still not quite finished. Hopefully I can get it all out before summer!

 

Q2: Do you ever felt like "I'm famous now"?

A:  I'm not really sure what constitutes as "fame" on something like AFF, where readers all have such diversified interests, but I'm guessing you mean having a lot of subscribers. I'm happy when readers enjoy my fics, because then I know that I was able to make someone else happy and share my love for my fandom. However, in the end, AFF is just a fanfiction site. I am a real person, with a real life outside of fanfiction, and being "famous" on AFF doesn't affect who I am or how I live my real life, which is what really matters. So no, I don't feel "famous."

 

Q3: Do you have any idol/favourite author here in Asianfanfics? 

A: Not a favorite in particular. Most of my favorite authors are on Livejournal, but a few of them do have AFF accounts. Some of my favorites on AFF are London_Calling and unnie-bee. Both of them write though, which actually is the majority of what I read. Apart from that, I quite like summerchild, who is no longer active. 

 

Q4: Why didn't you let people to translate your stories?

A: Ah, its honestly just a matter of controls, not because I've had any bad experiences or anything. You see, my stories are precious to me, and I want to make sure what any translation of my story is still good quality. However, I have no way of knowing that when I allow others to translate my stories because I don't know the language. I don't know if I can trust others to get the tone of the story right, and translate the humor and jokes. At first, I tried to figure out some criteria for deciding but then a friend suggested that I just don't allow it at all, which was not a bad idea. You'll still find some translated works of mine out there, but those permissions are all from a while ago.

 

Q5: What inspires you to write great stories?

A: My love for EXO, to be very honest. I never wrote as much as I did before EXO debuted. But then, EXO stole my heart and I was inspired by every single member. I've been an EXO fan since debut and I've also been writing EXO fanfics since they debuted. It's been a good ride! I have too much love for these boys. 

 

Q6: Don't you want to make a one-shot shop? Probably many people would like to request there.

A:  I had one! I used to have a drabble request shop a few years ago. I just didn't have time for it. I would love to be taking requests but I don't have the capacity at this time.

 

Q7: Do you have anything to say to the new authors out there?

A:  Write for yourself and for your biases, because that's what fanfiction really should be about. Don't do it for the numbers ~~

 

 

And last but not least, is a rising star in Asianfanfics, loviet!

Q1: I saw that you already have Q&A before, does this feels different or just the same?

A: It feels the same since I'm being asked questions about my writing and I have the opportunity to type out my answers. I guess this is different though, because in my Q&A, I have control of what questions that I want to answer and I could post and edit my answers however I see fit. So by principle there were a lot of similarities between my Q&A and this interview but the main difference would be the format of it.

 

Q2: You have only wrote a few stories but most of it were featured, how do you do that?

A: Well I started with just updating every single day (this was during the summer) so a lot of my subscribers told me that they found my story because they kept seeing it on the 'latest' section so they just figured "why not, let me give this story a go", so I gained a lot of subscribers through persistence. I also used the advertising feature A LOT when I first started here. A lot of people don't like people who advertise but I don't see the harm. The karma point are mine and just because I advertise my story, it doesn't mean that people HAVE to subscribe to it, it just means that more people will be exposed to the story and will be willing to check it out. So by principle, I advertise my stories at least once (unless it's a sequel, then I don't advertise but if it's a spin off, I'll advertise it.) because I want people to give my story a try. Also I've gained a lot of subscribers through other big authors recommending my story to their readers as well. But honestly, it's just because I have loyal readers who like my work and find it worthy of an upvote. You don't get featured for no reason, it takes time and work. I built up a reader-base who, over time, trusted my work because they've seen how well they liked my other stories and trusted that my future stories will have the same level of quality. If you write well and appeal to the readers AND are consistent, you'll easily grow a 'fanbase' that will follow you through your stories and upvote if they like it. 
I also feel that by targeting BAP and GOT7 as my main leads, I've started writing for groups that are underrepresented on aff and that also attracts readers who have been searching for a story about idols who aren't commonly seen on the site.

 

Q3: Who do you think is the best author in Asianfanfics?

A: I don't think there is a best author. There are so many authors who are impressive, but with the fiction world encompassing so many genres and styles of writing, I don't think that there is one author that is perfect at all of them. I don't think there's a point in picking the best author. I think it's important to acknowledge all styles of writing and genres and learn from someone's strengths and learn from the differences between their writing and yours.

 

Q4: You had been nominated for 'The Best Author of the Year' at the AFF Awards, what do you feel about that?

A: I was really surprised because I didn't find out until a few weeks later. I was really happy and flattered that so many ppl nominated me. I don't think I'm going to win but I heard that I was leading in Best Action Author so that's exciting. I'm grateful that so many people like my work enough to feel that I deserve this award but I know that I am still lacking in a lot of aspects as an author and that I have a lot to improve and that I'm constantly learning and growing as an author and I'm nowhere near the best author or action author. I learn from my mistakes and work to be a better author and I'm glad that this website platform allows me the opportunity to make mistakes as an author, learn from them and do better the next time. It's a no-pressure environment so it helps. 

 

Q5: What is your worst nightmare as an author?

A: I have a few haha. One would be if I'm in the middle of a story and I realize that I've written myself into a corner. This means that because of the previous things that I've written, I've limited what my character can do or say and thus the story has nowhere else to go. This normally wouldn't be an issue to an author but bc aff is a site where I upload a chapter after I write it, it's almost impossible to go back and change something bc your readers have already read it. So my fear would be if my story isn't done yet but I screwed myself by something I've written in the past.

Another nightmare is plagiarizing. Whether someone steals from me or I accidentally have a similar plot to someone else's, it's all bad. I've had few instances where people take from me and it's the worst bc it's a very long and tedious process to find a solution that suits both people.

Another one is if all my rough work gets deleted bc I rely heavily on my notes. I write down every thought that comes to mind so if it's deleted before the story is done I'd cry probably lol. 

I think I have more nightmares as a writer as well, but the best thing to do is stay positive and don't get paranoid.

 

Q6: What do you see in yourself for the next two years?

A: Still in school probably. I don't know how much time I would able to dedicate to writing by that time. Life is going to get pretty difficult in 2 years and spending the time to write is going to be limited. I don't think I'll ever fully leave this site but my activity on the site will drastically decrease. I won't update nearly as often and it's upsetting bc I never wanted to be that author who updates once a month, but at the same time I can't push my future aside for writing fics. So in two years I might be writing less but hopefully 5 years from now I'll still be updating chapters, making people laugh, cry and smile with my stories. Writing is something that I never want to stop and maybe, one day, I can get one of my stories published for real by a real publishing house and have it sell in bookstores.

 

Q7: Do you have anything to say to the new authors out there?

A: Don't write if you're not passionate. If you don't actually enjoy what you're writing, there's no point in doing it. Writing, especially on aff is a hobby. You don't get paid, so if you're going to take HOURS out of your day to do it, make sure it's something that you actually like. Don't write about a lead because they're popular, write about a lead because you like them and writing about them excites you. AFF 'culture' usually involves people updating one chapter at a time, if you don't enjoy the process of fiction writing (or writing at all) then you won't feel motivated to update until the story is finished. Write what you like despite it possibly not being a popular genre, if you like it, write it. If you're writing something that you don't like just to appeal to the masses, you won't finish your story. The writing process will be boring, a pina and feel like a chore. 

PLAN YOUR STORY AHEAD OF TIME. One great way to stay motivated is if you know where your story is going and how it's going to end, that way you won't feel like you've run out of plot or have written yourself in a corner. You know the endgame and therefore you force yourself to be motivated because you have this plan laid out in front of you. If you know where you're going, at least in my experience, the more excitement you'll feel as you write towards the ending. 

Stay consistent. Keep updating no matter how many subscribers or comments you have. When I started, I had about 10 subscribers and 5-6 comments a chapter if I was lucky. But I didn't care, I didn't realize how important those things were until later so at the time, I just kept updating each day because I enjoyed it and when people saw that I was someone who updated often, they decided to give my story a shot and I built a fanbase. It'll also help if you build up k-points to get your story advertised on the site so you get more exposure because if people like one of your stories, they'll be more inclined to follow your other stories. Aside from updating regularly, find ways to put your story out there like on review or advertising shops or in writing contests. 

Ignore negative comments but acknowledge the difference between hateful comments and constructive critiscism. Not everyone will be nice, if you see people hating on your mindlessly, don't let it affect you, just block them and continue doing you. However if someone is pointing out places where you could've done better or things they liked and disliked in a polite manner, kindly interact with them, find out more about what they feel and see if you can use that to help you grow. 

Read. Read. Read. Another way to grow is if you expose yourself to other authors and learn from their style of writing. Don't steal their plot! But instead look at the way they pace their story or how they format their chapters or the type of language they use in their dialouges and pick up tips. 

Have fun. Once it starts feeling like homework or something that you just don't like doing, it's time to reevaluate and consider taking a break or just changing the platform that you write on.

 

That's all for today, let's hope loviet will become one of the top authors in Asianfanfics.