The Nutcracker - Taemin

Bed Time

Taemin was a young boy who dreamed to become the best dancer of his ballet corps to be a soloist. He was tall, murky with black hair and dark eyes. He was thinner than most of the girls, making people mistaking him for one. He hated those moments, he wanted to be seen as the man he was.  One day tired of the favoritism of the Professor of his ballet school he left for another one. There he got the main male role of The Nutcracker.

“Boys and girls let me introduce you our new prince, Lee Taemin. – Said his new baller teacher.

-Nice to meet you. Please take care of me – Bowed Taemin.”

This was how he got introduces and started to work here.

Some days later he heard a conversation between two of his new colleagues.

“I don’t like The Nutcracker. It’s always scary.

-Because you believe in the malediction, you idiot.

-I am not an idiot. People disappeared and died each time.

-They suicided because they had too much pressure on their shoulders. This is not because of a ghost. Wake up. Ghosts don’t exist.”

The realistic dancer patted the scared one and left the changing room. Taemin was a ghost’s stories lover. He had watched all the horror movies that could exist on earth for fun. When the first dancer left, he slid next to the scared one.

“Why was he talking about ghost? – He asked.

-If you trust those, there is a legend about The Nutcracker in this theater. It says that a murder took place here. There were two casted Clara and because of fame desire one of them killed the other. So that she’ll be the only one under the spot light. The dead one didn’t even have time to do one show.  They say that the dead Clara appears every time The Nutcracker songs are being played. They say that she haunt the theater to take revenge.

-Cool – Let go Taemin.

-Scary you mean. Don’t stay alone at night. It’s an advice.”

Some days flew and nothing happened until one of the dancer disappeared.

“Where is Joseph? – Asked the professor.”

Of course no one knew.

“See! It’s starting again. Wait before we find him dead.

-I wait for nothing. You are too superstitious.”

Taemin who heard their conversation once again decided to stay in the theater after practice.

“1, 2, 1, 2 and… final pose! Good! End of the day guys! Emilie you need to be stronger on your legs, Jenny change your ballet shoes, Kazuya your movement were too weak. For the other, nothing to say, good work. You can go change now. See you tomorrow.”

“Taemin, Taemin! Please can you help me? – Said Emilie while they were walking out of the room.

-Yes tell me.

-Can you help me to be stronger on my legs? I fail whenever I try alone.

-Yes of course! Let’s say … after dinner?

-Okay!”

Taemin was happy because he found a good reason to come back here later. He went back to his flat, took a shower and ate light. He needed to take care of his weight before a representation. He prepared a bag with his ballet practice clothes and a camera, and then went out. He enjoyed the cold winter night and reached the theater. He stopped in front of the door and looked at the code lock. The door was already opened though.

“Strange” thought Taemin “Well Emilie is maybe already in and forgot to close the door.” He got in and took the direction of the changing room. There he heard the Pas de Deux song. “Ah so she is already in” he comforted his thoughts. He changed fast and went to the room where the song was coming from. But as soon as he opened the door the music stopped and the room was dark and empty. He thought that this was strange but didn’t give it big importance. He closed the door and the song played again from a different room.  He followed the sound until he reached a corridor. A corridor he never saw but from where the music was playing. The more a walked further the more the lights were blinkng, the more the music was loud. He kept going on into this never ending corridor. His heart beat faster and his breath got slower when he saw a door in front of him. The song was coming from here. He smiled because he knew this couldn’t be Emilie. He was all excited. His smile got wider when he opened the door. He was like inside a horror movie, how amazing was this. He walked in and felt a cold hand on his neck. He turned around to see what or who I could be but the feel disappeared and he was alone in this room he never saw. When suddenly a silhouette appeared on the mirrors, a beautiful, graceful, skillful ballerina, who was dancing like in a music box. Then the reflection stopped and a ghost with bloody tears face Taemin who jumped back a bit.

“What are you doing here? – Said a voice he knew.

-Emilie?”

All the décor around him disappeared, letting place of the theater stage.

“Why are you on the stage? – She asked. – Are we practicing here?

-Ah no sorry, I was just walking around while waiting for you. Let’s go to a practice room. – He lied wondering how he got there too. He was in the upper floor when the music started. He walked back to this floor following Emilie. When suddenly this one screamed, Taemin rushed to her.

“What happened? Are you alright.?”

Emilie wasn’t in a state to answer. She was shocked and couldn’t say a word. She only pointed her finger to inside the room.

There lying lifeless the boy who disappeared in the morning. He was lying without his head and his neck was still splashing blood on the walls, mirrors, floor and ceiling. His head was at his feet and his expression was the creepier Taemin ever saw. His eyes were wide open and his moth opened. You could almost saw him scream of fear. Taemin loved horror movies but this was a bit too much. Suddenly The Nutcracker song played and the headless body stood up walked a bit and pointed at the mirrors in front of it. The head span a bit to look at them. At the same time the letters “REVENGE” were wrote with blood on the mirror and the face screamed until the walls shook.

Taemin legs couldn’t hold him anymore and he fell next to the already on the floor Emilie. She grabbed his arm.

“Taemin… Tae..min?

-This is a movie. This is maybe for a movie. We should go out, right? We shouldn’t disturb the crew, right?

-Right… right. Let’s run!”

Taemin grabbed Emilie’s other hand to help her getting up and ran out without even changing clothes.

“What was that? – Questioned the ballerina.

-A really bad joke? – He tried to comfort her. – Emilie your ballet shoes. You can’t walk in the street with them. I go back in to take your shoes. What is your locket number?

-No never mind – She stopped him. – I’ll walk with them. I have others at home.

-Then I’ll help you go home.”

He stepped in front of her and squatted.

“Come here, I’ll piggyback you.”

Emilie blushed but climbed his back and slid her arms around his neck. Taemin’s back was so comfortable and warm that Emilie fell asleep on the way to her tenant in of despite of the scary night she lived.

“Wake up girl, you have arrived home. –Said Taemin tired to hold her.”

She woke up slowly and reached the floor.

“Want to come up? – Asked Emilie.

-No thanks, see you tomorrow. Rest well. Call me if you are scared though ok? Bye bye.”

He knew her feelings toward him but hadn’t really the same. He liked her as a friend no more. And all he wanted now was seeing that beautiful ballerina again. He walked back fast to the theater but once in it was empty as if nothing happened. Disappointed he took his stuffs and went back home.

The next day.

“Did you hear the news from Marco?

-No what is it?

-You know, Joseph, he was found dead this morning; He wasn’t just absent. A suicide they say but Im sure it’s the malediction.

-Scary.

-I know right.

-DEAD? –Screamed Taemin passing by them – How?

-He hung himself so tight with a so thin cord that his head was cut off his body.”

“Just like yesterday” thought Taemin. It really had a relation with the malediction then ?

“Taemin! Taemin! – yelled Emilie”

He turned around to face her.

“Did you hear? – She continued.

-Yes just now.

-Do you think that… - She looked at him worried.

-Maybe we saw… I need to be sure though. I’ll come here tonight again.

-Me too! Ah,well, you know. In case something happens to you… - She bites her lips.”

Taemin sighed looking at her.

“Okay, but be careful. I don’t want you to be hurt.

-Yes I promise!”

Emilie was so happy even if truly scared inside.

When the night showed up they reached each other at the back door. They signed “ready” and walked in.

“Let’s separate –Suggested Taemin.

-No, no, no, no way. I’m staying with you – She whispered while grasping his shirt.

-Okay.”

Taemin wanted to be alone though, he had doubt that the ghost would’t show up if they stuck together. They walked slowly from room to room until the same music reached his ears.

“Do you hear that?- He asked.

-Hear what? I don’t hear anything.

-There’s Clara’s solo music palying!

-No there isn’t.

-Fine stay here. I’m going to check. Don’t move from here.

-Wait… wait… – She said while he walked away. – O.. Okay.”

Emilie found herself alone in the dark. A thrill climbed along her back and suddenly it was cold, making her breathe became white. Then she felt a hand brushing against her back finishing on her shoulder.

“Are you Clara? You want the Prince for you only too? – Whispered a voice in her ear.”

She closed her eyes and her hand into fits.

“Are you Clara? Are you Clara? ANSWER ME!”

Emilie was frozen that voice was anything but not human. All her muscles were contracted and she was shaking like a rattle. She could feel the ghost cold breathe on her neck and the scary revenge aura. She couldn’t mouth a word so she just shook her head to say “no”.

“I see. – The ghost laughed giving Emilie goosebumps.”

Was she going to die here alone?

“So you are a no one targeting a Prince? Poor you. -She caressed her hair - Do you think fairy tale exist? Do you think he’ll care for you? What do you think he is doing right now? He is looking for me. You have no chance Miss No one. – She ended in a shrill laughter.”

Emilie felt sadness filling her heart. She wasn’t a soloist, right. Her skills weren’t exceptional, agreed. But she still had a chance! Tears felt on her face, will she die because she likes Taemin? How unfair would that be? Emilie opened her eyes to show courage then the ghost faced her.

“I’ll let you live because I pity you. Poor Miss No one convinced that she can have her Cinderella dream becoming true. Big news for you! This won’t happen! He will die before! AH! –She smirked and faded away.

Emilie fell on her knees. This ghost was terrifying, her bloody tears was in her memory like when you look at the sun for a long time. She was frightened but Taemin was in danger. She hardly stood up and started walking one step, two step but her streength was giving her up and she fainted.

Taemin was in this dark corrido again following the music. “Where are you ballerina? Where are you?” He was still walking but this time it was longer. Where was this white door seriously? The music became louder all of a sudden and the door showed up. He opened it and there the ballerina was doing pirouettes and fouetté. She was so graceful and light like the previous day. She had Clara’s suit on her and her hair was tied in a bun with a little diadem around it. Taemin smiled.

“There you are” he mumbled. He entered the room and the door closed by itself in a slap. With the clap of the door, the ghost stopped turning and change of aspect. Her suit changed into a teared up training one, her hair was half tied and tears of blood were on her face. Taemin swallowed hardly surprised by this change.

“Are you the Prince? – Her dead voice echoed in the empty room. – Are you here to conquer Clara’s heart too?

-I’m not a prince – He answered simply.

-Oh no you are. You want Clara’s heart. You want to play with her heart. You want to make her life a dream.

-Not really.

-You want to plays with her heart to throw it away like a trash later. You are a player.

-Eh? – Taemin was lost. – No I don’t want that.”

What was this speech?   He was very surprised on her reaction and she was getting angry at how calm Taemin was.

“Liar! LIAR! You are all LIAR!”

The ghost hair started to float into the air, her aura became black, her eyes red and her skin grey. Her movement became jerky and her tears of blood, hemorrhagic. “Oh, oh. I pissed her off” thought Taemin.

“YOU ARE ALL LIAR”

She flew to Taemin faster than light and grabbed his neck. “ There are no such things as Prince and fairy tales. Everything is a lie. Even happy endings are!” She was tightening her grab making Taemin suffocating. He was trying to fight back but she was stronger , so strong for a small ballerina, and lifted him up.

“Die liar. All liar should die! All players should be punished. DIE!”

Taemin was on the verge of passing out, his sight was getting blurry when he saw a small real tear falling on her cheek. She was hurt. Someone hurt her and she was blaming everyone. With his last strength Taemin stretch his arm out and whipped her tear away. This action surprised her and she let him go making Taemin fall on the floor coughing.

“What are you doing?! – She screamed.

-Whipping your tear away. – He answered between two cough.

-Who allowed you?!

-What’s your name? – He smiled to her.

-None of your business! Go away!

-I won’t. Your name first. I’m Lee Taemin, I come from South Korea, you?”

He waited but the dead girl didn’t answer and turned her back to him forgetting the mirrors. In those she wasn’t the scary ghost she was right now. She was a beautiful young woman with green eyes and a pretty smile.

“Wow, your eyes are the most beautiful that I’ve ever seen – He said while walking to her reflect.

-It’s not me anymore. – She answered. – This was the weak me.

-No it’s still you. You still are pretty. Your dance moves are so perfect. I want to dance with you. This is why I came here. You are the first one making me like that. The most perfect dancer I met that is better than me. Will you do me this favor?”

The ballerina’s eyes widened. It was the first compliment she got in 10 years and it was the most beautiful. He wasn’t here for her heart, he was here for her skills.

“Ania. My name is Ania. – She whispered so slow that it was almost inaudible.

-It’s a pretty name. I like it. – He smiled.

-what do you want to dance? – She asked with the same tune.

-What someone stole you? The Nutcracker, pas de deux. This is what you are practicing right?

-uh?

-Someone stole you everything. I can’t give you back your Prince but I can give you your glory moment. Will you dance with me? I’m a very good dancer, not as good as you though.

-You would do that, for me? Why?

-Because you are the partner I was waiting for. You are maybe the best Clara I ever met. I watched the video of the year you should have danced and the other Clara doesn’t even reach your level. That’s maybe why she killed you. Why she took you everything. She was jealous. What happened to you is unfair. You should have become a very famous ballerina.

-Thank you Lee Taemin. – She finally smiled.”

Her scary look changed into the most beautiful woman Taemin ever saw.

“Thank you for your kind words – Tears fell on down her eyes. – Thank you for your attention, for your affection. Thank you for healing me. Thank you for saving me. Unfortunately I’m dead already. You will not be able to do the lifts, because you can’t touch me. I am just a lost spirits down here.  I can’t dance with you but she could one day. You should take care of your girl more. She will become a great dancer too. Give her time Lee Taemin, give her attention. This is what a dancer needs to get better.”

She walked slowly to him and stopped right in front of him. She was so tiny. She stretched her hand out and caressed his cheek. “You are going to be a really famous dancer. I feel it. But always remember where you come from. What you lived to be at your place and never look down the others because you don’t know their pain or struggles. I need to go now Lee Taemin. Someone is calling me out. I’m sorry I couldn’t give you more advices of be your teacher. I’ll be watching you from up there. I will protect you at all cost precious boy, my precious fan. – She smiled brightly.  – Thank you Lee Taemin from South Korean for helping me. Good bye.

-Wait! No you can’t go! – He said loud trying to catch her hand.

-See, you can’t touch me. I can’t stay here, I don’t belong here anymore and I did enough pain around me. I swear I’ll always be with you. Don’t forget me, okay?

-I won’t! I promise!

-Good. – She gave him a last smile before flying and fading away. “

Taemin who never cries let some drops falling. His favorite dancer went away. All the décor around him disappeared too and he was back to where he left Emilie alone. His mind got blank for a bit. “Emilie” he suddenly thought. He looked around him and found her down on the floor. Was she dead? She couldn’t!

“Emilie! Emilie!” He screamed while kneeling next to her. “Emilie, are you alright? Can you hear me? Emilie! Emilie, wake up!

-hum?

-Oh god thanks. – he sighed – Let me bring you to the hospital.”

He held her princess like and on the way out, Ania’s words echoed in his head. “I’ll take care of you Emilie. I’ll take care of you.”