017

The Wild Card

 

 

President Han was rushed to a waiting helicopter sent by the hospital, the rest of the Hans were ushered to a chauffeured car at the basement.

“We have to be quick, by this time news will spread around about her situation.” Secretary Seo said as he opened the door for Yeoshin, she glanced at her father and his wife as they slid in another car.

“Young miss, shall I call for president Tuan?”

Yeoshin shook her head and got in the car, the older male got in the front seat.

“But, people will look for him, rumors might start if he doesn’t~”

“No, he has something important today, don’t contact him.” Yeoshin said flatly as she leaned against the warm leather seats.

Secretary Seo, who was been with the family since Yeoshin was a toddler glanced at the lady at the backseat.

But you need him to calm you down, young miss.

 

 

 

Jaehee smiled at the waiter came over to serve their food; they were at a five star restaurant at Cheongdamdong having a late lunch.

“It has been a while since we last visited, right?” She asked, Mark nodded, his eyes darted over to where a small food stall was standing.

His brows met briefly.

Yeoshin and her love for fishcakes.

Mark blinked and shook his head.

“Let’s start eating.” Jaehee nudged him, Mark nodded and picked up his utensils.

They were enjoying the meal when his phone started to ring.

“Yugyeom?” He paused before taking the call.

“Oh, Yugyeom-ah~”

“Hyung, where are you?” The younger male sounded odd.

“Me? Out with Jaehee, we’re eating~”

“You have to come here, quickly!”

“What? Come where? Hospital?”

“It’s..halmae…Noona’s halmae!”

Just then, Mark saw his secretary enter the restaurant, the male made his way to their table.

 

 

Yeoshin watched as her grandmother was pulled to the operating room, she could hear her father speaking rapidly through his phone while his wife sat down, her brows furrowed in worry.

The lady was immediately welcomed by the hospital with an army of doctors, even the president of the hospital, Yugyeom’s father had ushered them to a private lounge.

Yeoshin paced back and forth as the red light on top of the steel doors was switched on.

“I have to go down to prepare eomma’s papers.” Her father said before leaving with secretary Seo. Yeoshin just leaned against the wall.

“Yeoshin-ah,”

She looked up and met gazes with the lady, her brows furrowed.

“Don’t talk to me.”

 

 

“Sir.”

Mark nodded at his secretary.

“What happened?” Jaehee asked.

“It’s…” Mark’s brows furrowed, he gave his secretary a quick nod and the man left.

“It’s an emergency.”

“Oh, should we go?” Jaehee blinked, Mark shook his head.

“It’s a family thing, I already have a car waiting for you, and I really need to go, Hee.” Mark reached to cup her cheek with an apologetic smile.

“Family? Your~”

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” Mark kissed her cheek before leaving the table, Jaehee watched as the Range Rover sped away from the building.

Then her phone pinged, she opened her purse and took it out.

It was a text from her father.

President Han was rushed to the hospital earlier.

Jaehee exhaled in annoyance and dropped her phone on the table.

He went to Yeoshin again.

 

 

“Young miss, please…” One of the HanShin guards asked carefully.

“I just want to tell you that, in these times your father needs you.”

“I told you not to speak, you’re not even supposed to be here.” She said softly, but her tone made the guards panic.

“Yeoshin, I know we had a rough start~”

“Rough?! You shamelessly slept with my father while knowing he’s married, now you want me to listen to you?”

“All I want to say is that your father needs you right now~”

“I told you to stop~”

Mark stepped towards the two, the older lady looked away, he walked to Yeoshin and squeezed her hand, silently asking for her to calm down.

Yeoshin closed her eyes briefly and looked at the doors of the operating room. Then the elevator doors opened, Mister Han appeared with secretary Seo.

Mark gave the older male a polite nod.

“Young miss, if we could speak privately,……lawyer Song is waiting downstairs.” Secretary Seo approached her, Yeoshin’s brows met.

I’ll come with you.” Mark said softly, she nodded and let him take her hand as they walked to the elevator.

 

Mark pushed the door open, Yeoshin stepped in and greeted the male in his mid fifties.

“Samchon(Uncle),” She said as the male opened his arms for her.

“How are you holding up, my precious goddaughter?” He asked with concern before asking her to sit down.

“What do you want to talk about, samchon?” Yeoshin asked, Mark squeezed her shoulder before leaning over.

I’ll wait outside.” He said, Yeoshin nodded.

The male spoke as soon as Mark closed the doors behind him.

“Before your halmae collapsed, she already signed those papers announcing that she has retired.”

Yeoshin bit her lip and looked away.

“Just last month, your abeoji has transferred everything he owns of HanShin to you, and your late mother, has prepared a will. Everything she owns in Samsung is also now yours, but you already know that, right?”

She nodded.

“I’m afraid that now is that time for you to step up, Yeoshin.”

“But samchon~”

“I know you are under a lot of pressure now, but do this for your halbae, he died while striving to make HanShin number one, it also has become your halmae’s legacy.”

She felt tears fall on her eyes, then the elderly male took out a folder filled with papers.

“I wont force you to sign this, but please think this over, Yeoshin. Because if you don’t assume her position, someone might take HanShin away from you.”

 

 

Mark found Yeoshin at the hospital’s rooftop garden with Yugyeom.

“You look tired, have you been getting enough?” He asked the younger male.

“A little, I’ll get going now.” Then he faced Yeoshin.

“Everything will get better, noona. Halmae’s in good hands.” He said softly, Yeoshin glanced at him and nodded.

Yugyeom gave her a smile before kissing her forehead, then he left.

Mark plopped down beside her, he shook off his jacket and draped it around her.

“The doctor said…..we have to prepare ourselves.” She said, Mark’s eyes widened.

“It was a ….and, they found out halmae’s heart is not in good shape.”

Lex,

“And yet here I was, always arguing with her, walking out on her, turning my back whenever she wanted to speak with me.” She shook her head, her tears escaping.

I didn’t know that she was suffering, Mark, and she was just asking me to listen, but what did I do?

Mark shook his head and just pulled her to his chest.

I hate myself, if only I had been braver to take what she wanted me to. But being president….it scares me, Mark. What happened to my parents before~

It wont happen to you, Shin. You’re different, you’re wiser, stronger and you have me and our friends.

Yeoshin just shook her head, Mark’s shirt grew damp from her tears.

“Uncle left some documents, he wants me to sign them.”

She pulled away and placed the folder on her lap.

I don’t want you to rush yourself, if you want, I can send for help~

No…I think..” Yeoshin bit her lip and glanced around them.

I have to do this.” She said as she took out a pen and signed on the documents.

 

 

Yeoshin looked at the documents and read her name,

Han Yeoshin, President and CEO of HanShin Group.

 

­­+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++