Quest

Camp VIXXBlood

Taekwoon stands before the Oracle. His sword at his side sways, as he adjusts his leather armor. He steps forward, pushing his hair back. It falls forward, grazing his shoulders.

“I've come for a quest,” he speaks. The Oracle looks at him, nodding once. She closes her eyes, allowing herself to relax. Taekwoon gulps, watching her. Her eyes shoot open, pure white, gazing into Taekwoon. A familiar soothing voice spills out.

“Son of war and son of battle partners in quest.

Both of them traveling west.

With loyal satyr as a friend.

As the two reach their end.

Jealousy reigns where they are lead.

Eye of Zelos is needed where they tread.

Return it back to camp safe and sound.

But be wary of its power when it's around.”

Taekwoon nods, gulping once. The Oracle blinks, brown eyes returning.

“Did you get that?” She asks, smiling up at him.

“Yes. Thank you, Minah,” he whispers, leaving her. He walks out of the room, shivers running down his spine. The word rattle in his skull, spoken in his mother’s voice.



 

Sanghyuk eats his food, smiling at his siblings. He bites into an apple, pulling his legs up. His burning went to his mother, in hopes of new knowledge.

“Sangcluck. You're needed in The Big House.”

Sanghyuk groans, pushing his tray into the center. “Sure, Mr. D,” he agrees before taking off. He chews on his apple some more, stuffing a hand into his pocket.

He passes by Hakyeon, watching him poke at the fire, waving at him while holding his apple. Hakyeon waves back, smiling up at him, ash on his cheek. Sanghyuk smiles, before continuing on.

He reaches The Big House, throwing the core of his apple away. He finds Taekwoon before him, holding onto the hilt of his sword.

“You're here too?” Sanghyuk asks, leaning against the wall.

“I asked for you,” Taekwoon explains, facing him. Sanghyuk's eyebrows scrunch together, as he tries to figure out why.

“Okay,” Sanghyuk says, crossing his arms. Taekwoon deflates slightly.

“Look, I need a son of battle, and you're the only one who fits who doesn't completely hate me,” he explains, looking down at the floor, voice trailing off. Sanghyuk nods slowly.

“What's in it for me?” He asks, trying to decide.

“A quest under your belt. Knowledge of a new place,” Taekwoon offers, looking back up at him.

Sanghyuk smiles, thinking his offering to his mother is working. “Excellent. When do we leave.”

Taekwoon allows a small smile to grow. “When we find a satyr.”

“I happen to know one.”



 

Taekwoon adjusts his sword around his side. The celestial bronze of his weapon shining in the light. Light leather armor hides under his clothing. He counts the odd mix of drachmas and dollars in a small pouch. He leans against Thalia’s tree. Peleus huffs out smoke, looking up at him.

“Do you want to go? At least that'd give me something to do,” Taekwoon asks, looking down at him.

“Sorry, I'm late. Sungjae didn't want to wear pants.” Sanghyuk walks up to Taekwoon, smiling brightly at him.

“No satyr likes to wear pants,” Sungjae counters, adjusting his own bag.

“Not all of you.”

“Shut up you mathematical dork.”

Taekwoon rubs his head, looking over Sanghyuk. He watches Sanghyuk's own leather armor shift, nodding slowly.

“Weapon,” Taekwoon speaks, holding out a hand. Sanghyuk looks at it, pulling out a small dagger from his side. Taekwoon inspects it.

It measures about a foot long, made of celestial bronze. The hilt curves into the carving of a feather around an olive branch.

“Do you know how to use it?” Taekwoon asks, looking over at him.

“I've trained. It's my best by far,” Sanghyuk explains, as Taekwoon hands it back.

“Alright,” Taekwoon whispers, looking at the pair.

“Yo!”

The trio turns to find Wonshik walking up to them. He holds crates of strawberries in his arms. He grunts adjusting them. “Mind helping? If I have to drive you, you could help.”

“You have the muscles!” Jaehwan walks up, holding another couple crates. “I don't.”

“You think you would after spending all day in your father’s fields,” Wonshik counters, looking back at him. Sanghyuk laughs, taking a pair off Jaehwan. Sungjae and Taekwoon take some off Wonshik. Taekwoon and Wonshik lag behind as the others run to the camp’s truck.

“One and Taywomb!”

“Yes Mr. D?” Wonshik asks, turning to face him. Taekwoon turns slowly.

“Don't let that satyr eat all the strawberries, and make sure my son gets back here,” Dionysus demands, looking at him, shooing Wonshik away after. Taekwoon looks up at Dionysus, as Wonshik walks away.

“Don't die on your quest. If you're going after what I think, control your emotions,” Dionysus explains, looking over him.

“Do you have an idea, sir?” Taekwoon asks, looking up at him.

“Zelos’ pin of the Evil Eye is a very powerful artifact. Avoid touching it and do not gaze into it,” Dionysus explains, resting a hand on Taekwoon's shoulder.

“Yes, sir,” Taekwoon speaks, dipping his head down. He turns, running up to join the rest, crates in hand.

Dionysus sighs, watching the small group. “Really hope that's not what they're going for.”



 

“Good luck you three!” Jaehwan calls outs, as they board a bus from the farmer’s market that the pair set up at.

Sanghyuk waves at them, before facing them.

“Where are we going after we reach New York?” Sungjae asks, looking at the pair. Taekwoon shrugs, glancing at Sanghyuk.

“You're the smart one. Any ideas?” Taekwoon asks, looking at Sanghyuk.

“Jealousy in the west. I'm thinking Sin City,” Sanghyuk answers, adjusting his bag. Taekwoon nods slowly.

“Las Vegas it is.”



 

Taekwoon lays on the cheap mattress, over the covers. He rubs his sword, watching Sanghyuk sleep with Sungjae on the same bed. He turns over, unable to fall asleep.

Dionysus’ words haunt his mind, replaying with the quest in his mother’s voice. He grabs his sword, pulling it close. He lets a tear out, missing his own mother. This is the only way he can listen to her, even if it haunts him. He dips his head down, allowing himself to crack silently.

He’ll harden again by morning, cracks repaired and covered but not quite healed. His hair falls into his face when he finally falls asleep.



 

Sanghyuk plays with his dagger, nicking an apple from Sungjae’s bag. He eats it, watching Taekwoon sleep. He wonders what goes on in Taekwoon's head, in someone's head when it isn't filled with numbers and history and ideas at all times.

Taekwoon groans and turns over, blinking awake. He looks up at Sanghyuk, watching him watch. He's far too tired.

He stands, facing Sanghyuk. “I need coffee.”

“Sungjae when for food. I told him that you need caffeine in the morning,” Sanghyuk explains, smiling at Taekwoon. Taekwoon grunts, grabbing onto his sword.

“I need caffeine all the time,” he corrects, as the door opens. Sungjae walks in, pulling off his hat after.

“There once was napkins, but once I start, I can't stop,” he says, holding food out, a mug of coffee on the side.

“Dork,” Sanghyuk says, joining him. Taekwoon smiles weakly, joining them after a moment.



 

Taekwoon holds his sword close, walking around with Sanghyuk and Sungjae. He watches them play with one another, messing around despite the quest. He allows himself a small smile, adjusting his hair bindings.

“Are we just gonna walk around until we see something? My shoes are going to kill me,” Sungjae asks, turning to them.

“Probably,” Sanghyuk answers, looking back at Taekwoon. Taekwoon nods, shrugging at Sungjae.

“My poor poor hooves,” Sungjae whines, hiding his face in his hands. Sanghyuk laughs, swinging an arm around him.

“Sure. Think about only yourself.”

Sungjae pushes on Sanghyuk's sides, laughing with him.



 

“Are you sure?” Taekwoon asks, looking at Sanghyuk. Sanghyuk nods, looking at the door to the nameless club.

“It's the eye. You said that's important,” Sanghyuk offers, rubbing the painted door.

“It is. Shall we then?” Taekwoon asks, looking at the pair. Sungjae bleats, nodding once. Sanghyuk rubs his dagger, smiling at Taekwoon. Taekwoon opens the door, and they all move inside. They move in the dim neon lighting, stepping down metal grates.

Greek lettering in the lights greets them. It shifts to form a single word. Envy.

“This is it,” Taekwoon mutters, opening the door before them. Sand lays under red heat lamps.

“Well, this screams trap,” Sungjae speaks, as the sand shifts. Taekwoon and Sanghyuk unsheathe their weapons, looking at the sand. “Told you.”

Sungjae moves back, as the sand reveals a lizard. Two heads pop up, with one body.

“Amphisbaena!” Sanghyuk yells, looking at Taekwoon. “Avoid the fangs!”

“Heard!” Taekwoon yells back, running forward. He rolls under the amphisbaena, facing it from the other side. It turns, looking at them both.

“Sanghyuk! How do we do this?”

“Just like anything else!” Sanghyuk answers, charging at it. Taekwoon mirrors the action, slicing at the head, fire glowing in his eyes. It flinches back, as Sanghyuk manages it nick the other head. The amphisbaena hisses, bleeding slightly.

Taekwoon charges forward again, slicing at it again. He cuts off a head, before the amphisbaena screeches. The trio covers their ears, as the head faces Taekwoon. It lunges, at Taekwoon, grazing an arm with a fang. Sanghyuk slices at the head, killing it after.

Taekwoon screams, as the venom sinks in. It burns his arm, as Sanghyuk runs over to him. Taekwoon sinks to his knees, looking up at him.

“Sungjae! The nectar!” Sanghyuk yells, looking back at him. Sungjae runs over, opening the small bottle. He pushes it to Taekwoon's lips, making him drink it.

Taekwoon closes his eyes, as the drink slips past his lips. Familiar ramen noodles and spices run down his throat. It's pulled away far too soon.

Taekwoon opens his eyes, looking at Sanghyuk. The burning in Taekwoon's eyes dulls, as he groans out. He rests his head on Sanghyuk's lap.

“We're almost there. Keep fighting,” Sanghyuk whispers, smiling at him. Taekwoon nods slowly, standing up. He grabs his sword, leaning on it.

They press on, into another door. Sanghyuk opens it, dagger in front of him. Taekwoon follows after, looking around the room. The eye is painted onto the wall, larger that before.

“Can we get in and get out?” Sungjae asks, bleating after. Taekwoon moves forward, sheathing his sword. He pushes into the pupil, making the wall shift. The wall divides, allowing Taekwoon inside.

A single pin lays on a stone. Taekwoon pulls off his shirt, leaving his armor on. He glances down at it, gazing into the blue gem. He tries to look away, before getting absorbed into it.

“I'll miss you mommy.”

Taekwoon watches two people interact, just outside the camp.

A letter is passed to the younger.

"Give this to the man named Dionysus. He'll know what to do.”

"I will mommy.”

"That's my boy. Just remember, where there's a hearth."

"There's a home.”

"I love you. Be good for me?"

"I will. I love you, too.”

"One more thing. My name is Hestia, just don't tell people that.”

They embrace. Only half the words reach Taekwoon's ears, everything muffled. He shakes his head, as the scene changes.

“Cute.”

Taekwoon watches Wonshik embrace Jaehwan. Jaehwan laughs, pushing up his glasses.

“Of course,” Jaehwan counters, making kissy faces at Wonshik.

“Taekwoon!”

Wonshik spins Jaehwan around.

“Taekwoon!”

Taekwoon looks up, seeing Sanghyuk in front of him. Taekwoon looks down, the pin in hand. The corners of the pin dig into his hand. He covers it in his shirt, looking up at Sanghyuk.

“Yeah?”

“Let's get out of here,” Sanghyuk offers, smiling at him, wrapping an arm around him. Taekwoon leans on him, nodding, gazing at his shirt in hand.



 

The trio passes by the barrier in camp. They walk to the Big House, slipping inside. Mr. D. looks up from the porch, joining them after.

“You live.”

“Somehow. Amphisbaenas are awful,” Sanghyuk explains, as Taekwoon lays the cloth bundle on the table.

“Very true,” Dionysus agrees, watching them. “Go rest. The ceremony will be tonight.”

Sungjae and Sanghyuk run off, smiling at each other. Taekwoon freezes dipping his head down.

“Sir?” Taekwoon mutters.

“Yes?”

“I looked,” he confesses, shaking his head.

“What did you see?” Dionysus asks, looking down at him.

“A mother and son. I think. They knew you. He felt, I don't know, familiar. Then it was Wonshik and Jaehwan, being themselves and happy. I don't understand sir,” Taekwoon looks up at him, feeling tired and weak.

“Listen,” Dionysus says, walking over to him. “This pin shows what you want, but only if someone near you has it.”

“I'm jealous?” Taekwoon asks, rubbing his hands.

“Zelos is the god of jealousy. It fits,” Dionysus explains, shrugging his arms.

“Thank you, sir,” Taekwoon mutters, leaving for his cabin.



 

Taekwoon sits in front of Hakyeon's fire. He stares into it, losing himself into his head. Dionysus’ words mix more with the quest. He rubs his arm, feeling himself get lost in his head.

“Hey.” Hakyeon stands before him, smiling wide. He sits beside Taekwoon, rubbing his back. “I would have built this up more if I knew someone was coming.”

“It's fine,” Taekwoon whispers, looking at him.

“Aren't you supposed to be at your celebration? I've heard it's your tenth,” Hakyeon says, looking at him. Taekwoon shrugs, looking at the base of the fire.

“I guess. I prefer it here. It feels safe,” Taekwoon confesses, huffing out a laugh, and shaking his head.

“Hey.” Hakyeon lightly hits Taekwoon's arm. “It's supposed to be. I've worked hard on that.”

Taekwoon smiles, looking over at him. “Besides, I believe that where there is a hearth there is a home.”

Taekwoon stills, blinking once. He shakes his head, as the familiar words are mumbled in his head.

“That's good.” Taekwoon watches Hakyeon poke at the fire, staring at the center again. “That's good.”

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A/N: I have written a chapter! Go me! This fic lives! Sorry this took so long. I'll try to get more out soon. Summer is coming so I'll have time to write. Until the next~ (-<) <3 ^_^