Wallflower [Sehun/Hayoung]

More Than Words
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

           

wallflower.  (n.)  a person who because of shyness,

                     unpopularity, or lack of a partner,

                             remains at the side of a party or dance

 

The big doors of the banquet hall slowly opened, and people in their elegant gowns and neat suit and ties continuously appeared. Most of the women twirled with their partners while the others chose to eat and discuss with their long-time friends. Most of the men danced with their other halves while the others joined their female friends or clinked their glass wine with their cliques. The tables covered in cream colored cloth and glass chairs decorated with artificial flowers surrounded the people dancing in the middle of the hall. A large beautiful crystal chandelier hung in the middle of the ceiling illuminated the room. 

Oh Hayoung was too fascinated at the huge amount of space of the hall for it was big enough to hold more than 350 individuals. She scanned the room in awe like a hawk. 'Too many people', she thought. Getting lost, and most definitely being pushed around will be the result if she entered the hall. Besides, she does not belong in that large room full of  graceful people with proper etiquette showing off their respected names or status. She deemed it to be rude to walk inside without wearing the proper attire. She will only attract more attention to herself which she does not want.

"Miss, it has been a few minutes already. Are you planning on going inside, or are you just sightseeing?"

One of the two guards positioned at the left side of the door spoke. The hint of impatience could not be missed in his voice. Hayoung turned her attention away from the dance floor and apologized to the man.

"I am sorry for acting this way." Her thumbs rubbed the white envelope held by her hands in anxiousness. "Do you happen to know someone who could pass this letter to Miss Son Naeun? It would really help a lot."

She waited several seconds for an answer but the manguard only looked at her suspiciously. 

"I'm sorry for disturbing you during your duty," she spoke while slighlty bowing her head. 

She walked away from the big doors which were already sliding to a close. Her steps were a bit heavy, but she payed no mind. Her want was not important and so was that ball she chose not to attend. Although she felt a little guilty for accepting her friend's offer to accompany her to the ball only to leave her hanging without prior knowledge, relief surged in her chest after stepping out of the building. 

Son Naeun heard from the manguard of the tall girl in a plain white shirt, skinny jeans, and chucks looking for her a while ago. She thanked him for the information then rushed outside in hopes of catching up to her runaway friend.

The see through doors of the building showed Hayoung's back filled Naeun's mind with ease. It had been hard for her to invite Hayoung to the ball. It took a month before she agreed.

"Oh Hayoung!" She called out once she got out of the building.

At the sight of Naeun in her long teal gown, Hayoung sighed and whispered to herself. "So close..."

"Thinking of escaping?" Naeun tried to walk to her, but her hurting feet made her stop into a halt.

She almost lost her balance, but thanks to Hayoung's quick reflexes, she survived a  supposed-to-be nasty fall.

"You ran all the way here, I presume," Hayoung guessed.

Naeun could only nod and gave a small smile when Hayoung held her shoulders as they entered the building. Hayoung gave her her hankerchief to wipe off the beads of sweat forming in her forehead. 

They went to Naeun's room which conveniently was near the hall where the ball was being held. Hayoung followed Naeun to her walk-in closet which left her flabbergasted with it's racks of diffrent varieties of clothes, shoes and accesories including gowns. Naeun faced her and eyed her from head to toe. Hayoung wondered at first then knew what was in her mind.

"Wait," she said. "I don't think I want to go..."

Naeun didn't even look at her and pretended to not hear what she said. "Wait there." She headed to one of the racks of gowns.

"Hey! I already told you I -"

Naeun cut her off. She didn't mean to, but always seeing Hayoung indecisive, nervous and timid irritated her. 

"Stop being so unwilling to take one step forward. I know it's hard to change something that's feels natural, but in your case you're not even trying! So be a good girl, stay there, and do what I say."

 

Oh Hayoung felt out of place. She rested her back against the cold wall which suprisingly calmned her if only for a little while. Naeun, who told her not to worry because she won't leave her alone, left her for the dance floor with a man whose charming appearance could kill. She wore a white long-sleeved gown which fit her perfectly. Her back was open much to her despair. It was uncomforatable as she was not used to wearing such an elegant but reavealing - in terms of her back - dress. 

Too many strangers in one room felt reassuring since no one would care because they don't know her. The ball was held by Naeun's father for all his business partners in the country and their families. She had not yet seen Naeun's father nor does she know what he is like. All she knows is that he spoils Naeun too much based on her observation.

Hayoung spotted her friend and her partner waltzing on the dance floor, making her smile sweetly at the sight of the two's long gazes. She found the man to be a gentleman considering the fact that he softly placed a hand on the small of her back and led her through the dancing crowd. 

"Is that a look of envy, Miss Oh?" 

A tall man with a sharp jawline beside her spoke suddenly. She wasn't even aware of his presence. Quickly, she composed herself from complete surprise. She turned her attention back to the loving couple dancing in their own little word.

"No. It's what you call admiration," she answered.

She felt his stare but chose not to mind it though her intestines panicked. Awkward silence filled the air. The man makes Hayoung too nervous and so she decided to leave for the restroom. 

"Where are you going?" 

The man's question stopped Hayoung for a moment. His voice rang in her ears. It was deep but a little thin. She did not answer and continued on her way. 

 

After a couple of minutes, Hayoung went back to her table instead of the place where the man was. In her view, Naeun continued to dance with the same man and this would mean that Naeun had taken a liking to the man. Two questions had been disturbing Hayoung: one, what was she doing here, and two, how did the man before know her surname.

As she was wishing for it to happen, the same man who occupied her mind blocked her view of the couples dancing. Him in his light brown suit whose eyes stared at hers for a long moment as if time had stopped for the both of them. He was so beautifully magnificent that Hayoung almsot swooned. She felt her heart beating out of her chest, dugun dugun.

"Would you care to dance," he spoke as he crouched down on one knee, with one hand on his back and held his other, "my lady?"

He did not break his gaze upon her, not even once. His invitation left Hayoung speechless for this would be the first time ever in her life had someone asked her for a dance. Throughout high school, she attended many parties and homecomings but never did she leave the comfort of the wall.

She hesitated to answer. Of course, she would love to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter