Chapter 20

Love Undercover

There is something really depressing about school dances. There’s no getting around it. No matter how carefully you plan or how awesome you expect things to turn out, it always winds up being a huge letdown.

This time is different though. Unlike the last school dance I attended—the one where Henry spent the entire night smoking cigarettes outside with his slacker friends while I stood in a corner by myself—I am prepared for the worst. I have low expectations going in. At least that way I won’t be disappointed. In some ways I’m glad I’m going without a date. I’m so fed up with guys at the moment that I’m thinking about swearing off them for the rest of the school year.

Chanhee carpools with Tiffany, Jessica and Sungyeol the Jerk. My dad drops Inyoung and me off in front of the gym around seven. “I’ll be back at eleven to get you girls,” he says, waving as we get out of the car. “Have fun!”

I step out of the car. “Bye, Dad.”

Inyoung eyes me sympathetically. “Are you sure you’re up for this? You seem really upset about this whole thing with Tiffany and...” Her voice trails off. “I’m not sure what to call him.”

“Chunji is best,” I say, making my way across the parking lot. “I’m sorry I can’t tell you everything now,” I say in a voice barely above a whisper.

“It’s okay.” Inyoung pats me on the arm. “You can fill me in when you’re ready. Now, are you sure you’re in the mood to go to this crappy dance? ‘Cause we can go back home if you want. I’m totally up for a night of movies and pizza if that’s what you’re craving.”

“Thanks.” I smile. “But I’ll be all right. This whole thing just feels so craptastic.”

“Been there, my friend.”

We walk into the gym and get drinks from the concession stand. Then we make our way over to a far wall where we can observe the action. There isn’t much going on. Chanhee and Tiffany are dancing to a fast song out in the middle of the floor, and it feels like all eyes are on them. As they sail by, Chanhee holds up his hand and waves slightly. I smile back at him.

“God, you would think Mr. Lee Soo Man would lighten up,” Inyoung says, nudging me. “He looks like he’s freaking constipated or something.”

I follow her gaze. The substitute teacher is standing in the corner of the room, a look of psychotic concentration on his face.

“Some people should not be teachers,” Inyoung says. “That guy’s been nothing but one giant ever since he got here.”

Krystal from the soccer team comes by, and she and Inyoung start chatting about goalies. I stare at the floor, tracing imaginary patterns with my shoe. When I finally look back up I catch Chanhee and Tiffany swaying back and forth to a slow song. I think back to the day I found him dancing around the guest room, belting out a Coldplay song. He’s a lot more graceful and composed now; he isn’t dancing awkwardly at all. In fact, he looks downright at ease with himself. As if being with Tiffany is the most comfortable, amazing feeling in the world.

“I’m going to get some fresh air,” I mumble. I quickly make my way out of the gym and head toward the front of the school. Once I’m alone, I crouch down, placing my head in my hands.

I don’t know how long I’m out there—five minutes, maybe—when I hear Inyoung approach.

“I’m sorry you’re so bummed, Kim,” she says, leaning back against the outside of the building. “Guys sometimes.”

I snort. “You’re telling me.”

“It’s depressing in there. Every way you look there are couples kissing, holding hands, laughing, talking. At least Tiffany and Chunji aren’t making out. I haven’t even seen him hold her hand.”

“True,” I admit, standing back up. “But it’s going to be murder coming back to school on Monday. Everybody’s going to be gossiping about how close they got at the big dance. I mean, it hurts no matter what. But it wouldn’t be so bad if everyone weren’t talking about it.”

“No lie, this whole school is obsessed with Chunji and Tiffany,” Inyoung says, running her fingers through her hair. “Even teachers are gossiping about it!”

I scrunch up my face in confusion. “Really? Like who?”

“Well, Mr. Lee Soo Man for one. He was way interested in Chunji.”

Alarm bells go off in my head. “What do you mean ‘way interested’?”

Inyoung shrugs her shoulders. “He kept asking all these questions about Tiffany and Chunji. Mostly Chunji.”

“What kind of stuff was he asking?” I’m starting to get really anxious.

“You know, how long he’d been going to school here. Where he’s from. Normal stuff.”

I fight hard to keep my voice steady. “Inyoung, does Mr. Lee teach junior English?”

“No, just sophomore.” She eyes me quizzically. “Why?”

“Because if he doesn’t teach junior English, then how does he even know who Chunji is?”

She scratches her head. “Yeah, that’s a good point. I hadn’t thought of that.”

My dad’s warning runs through my mind. If anyone takes an unnatural interest in Chanhee, let me know ASAP. And then I remember it, and my body freezes. The day I tried to interview him about the new faculty plumbing, he slammed the door in my face and said, “I know you want to be a hotshot journalist like your mother.” How did he know my mom is a journalist? I’ve never mentioned it. Not during homeroom and not during English class. Unless...

“Oh, !” I say, before I can stop myself.

“What’s wrong, Kim? You’ve gone all Casper on me.”

“Inyoung, do you know where Chunji is?” I ask, standing up. My knees are knocking together. “Was he still in the gym when you came out here?” I have to find Chanhee and warn him. He’s got to get out of here as soon as possible.

Inyoung shakes her head. “Chunji disappeared off the dance floor a while ago. I think he and Tiffany might have snuck off to get some privacy. I’m sorry.” She gives me a sympathetic smile.

Oh my God! “I have to go,” I say, rushing around the front of the school. “I have to get in touch with dad now!”

Inyoung looks confused. “But your dad’s going to be back in a few hours to pick us up,” she points out. “Can’t it wait until then?”

“No, it can’t! It’s extremely important that I need to talk to him right now!”

I can’t get reception on my cell phone in front of the building, so we hurry outside to the back parking lot. Once we get to the edge of the faculty parking lot my reception kicks in and I start frantically dialing every number I have for Dad. He doesn’t answer any of them, so I leave urgent messages telling him about Mr. Lee. Why the hell aren’t they home? I try my mom’s cell, but it goes straight to voice mail. Damn it! She never leaves the thing on when you need it.

“What am I going to do?” I wail. “This is horrible!”

Inyoung places a hand on my shoulder. “Tell me what’s going on. Maybe I can help.”

I fight back waves of panic. “Chanhee’s in danger! Really serious, gravely serious, danger!”

“So his name is Chanhee!” she says. “I knew it.” The rest of the sentence registers with her. “No! You’re not being serious, are you?”

I quickly fill Inyoung in. At this point, it doesn’t matter if she knows the truth. It’s pretty obvious Chanhee’s cover has been compromised.  Inyoung’s eyes grow larger and larger as I talk and, by the end of the story, they’re about to pop out of their sockets.

She stands there for a minute, completely dazed, and then says, “Okay, we’ve gotta find him now. He’s probably back in the locker rooms or something. You go track him down and I’ll keep trying to call your dad,” she says, whipping out her cell phone. “Everything’s going to be okay,” Inyoung assures me. “You’ll see. Mr. Lee might not even be who you think he is. Maybe it’s just all coincidence. And even if your worst fears are true... well, that doesn’t mean he’s planning on doing anything tonight. He’s had his eye on Chanhee for days now, and he hasn’t done anything. There’s no reason to think tonight us the night he’s going to pounce. And this is all assuming Lee Soo Man actually is up to something rotten. We don’t know that yet.”

“Thanks, Inyoung.” I’m starting to feel a little bit better. And then it happens. I spot something that makes my blood go cold. Parked at the far end of the faculty lot, underneath a big oak tree, is a dark blue Toyota Camry with a dent in the driver’s-side door. Exactly like the one that nearly followed us home from The Cheesecake Factory that night.

“Inyoung,” I say, my voice shaking. “Whose car is that?”

Inyoung gets to school really early and sees most of the teachers arriving. She knows what practically everyone drives. “Where?”

“Over there.” I point. “The blue Toyota.”

“That’s Mr. Lee’s ride.” She looks alarmed. “That’s not a bad sign or anything, is it?”

I don’t answer her. I run into the school building at top speed, dashing through the corridors and into the gym. I frantically scan the room for Chanhee. I catch sight of him by the bleachers, talking to Tiffany and a couple of upperclassmen. I breathe a huge sigh of relief. He’s okay!

I’ve just started across the floor for him when I see Mr. Lee coming from the opposite direction. He’s talking on a cell phone, and he’s moving quickly. I pick up the pace, but it’s tough getting through the crowd. I weave my way through the couples on the dance floor. I reach other side of the gym just in time to see Mr. Lee leading out into the hallway. He’s gripping Chanhee tightly by the arm.

No! This can’t be happening! My heart is racing at a million beats per second. I race after them, managing to slide through the double doors before they slam shut. Mr. Lee has no idea I’m behind them. He’s practically dragging Chanhee along now.

I’m incredibly scared, but I know it’s up to me to stop them. And so, doing my best impression of Matt Damon in The Bourne Identity, I haul off and attempt to tackle Mr. Lee. I’m running at top speed when my ankle twists and I go tumbling forward. No Sydney Bristow, indeed. But I slam into Lee with such force that he topples to the ground and the cell phone goes flying.

I jump up quickly, brushing myself off. Chanhee rushes to help me, but I push him back. “Get out of here!” I hiss. “Get as far away as you can.”

“I’m not leaving you,” Chanhee says, looking shaken.

“You shouldn’t have done that, kid,” Mr. Lee snarls, standing up and reaching into his pocket for something.

I feel myself growing faint. It’s a gun. I know it. He’s got a gun. Before I can move a muscle I hear someone shout, “Don’t even think about it!”

I whirl around. “Dad!”

I don’t know where he’s come from. Inyoung must have gotten in touch with him. Dad has his gun drawn and aimed at Mr. Lee’s head. “Don’t move an inch. You hear me?”

The next few minutes happen so fast, I can barely process them. I stare in shock as my father throws Mr. Lee up against the wall and handcuffs him. I am speechless as a crowd of students gathers in the hall to watch as two uniformed police officers come rushing in and secure Mr. Lee, stripping him of his weapon and leading him out the door.

“Heejoon,” Chanhee says, putting his arm around my shoulders. “Are you all right?”

“I think so,” I mumble.

“Thank God!” He puts his other arm around me and squeezes me tight. “That was horrible! I thought Mr. Lee was going to hurt you.”

I feel faint, disoriented, as the reality of what just happened sinks in.

“You look so weak,” Chanhee says, placing one hand tenderly on my cheek. “Do you want to sit down?”

Before I can answer, everything goes black.

- - -

So much for writing action. (_ _') Sorry to disappoint you guys! ><

Anyway, I'm sure you guys have heard about ty SOPA. I hope they fail, right? I have more than 500 stories I need to finish reading. ;w;

Enjoy! Don't forget to leave comment! ^^

P.S. Found this; the iest, hottest GIF ever! I swear! First time I look at it, I swear I saw P-O-R-N above it. Lol. Ahahaha. My ovaries went BOOM! Literally. xD I warn ya people. HE'S MINE! :b The other four members are yours if you want~!!