Chapter 16

Love Undercover

Oh. My. God. I've done it now. No amount of Alias watching or Spy Manual reading can make up for this blunder. Inyoung's not clueless. There's no way she'll believe a stupid lie. But I have no choice. I have to cover. "No, I didn't. I said 'Chunji.'"

"It sounded an awful lot like Chanhee to me."

I'm trapped. I'm backed against the wall. So I come clean with her. Sort of. "Okay, I did say Chanhee. It's Chunji's nickname from when he was young. I try to never call him that, but it's a hard habit to break. And he hates it."

Inyoung looks confused. "Why? It's not like it's some embarrassing nickname like Poopy Pants."

"Poopy Pants!' I burst out in nervous laughter.

"That's what we used to call my little cousin," she explains, popping a piece of gum in . "But Chanhee is kind of a cool nickname. Unique. Where did he get it?"

I struggle to come up with something. Students are starting to pour into the building and the hallway is getting crowded. I don't want anyone to overhear this story. "Uh, it's because he likes to sing when he was younger. Chunji used to be really into singing that he imagined himself on stage using Chanhee as a stage name. He's very embarrassed so please, please, please don't bring it up to him. And please don't tell a soul," I plead with her. "Not Byunghun, not the soccer girls. No one. I'll get in so much trouble if you do."

"Okay, Kim, I won't say anything." She offers me a piece of gum and I accept.

"Seriously. My life depends on it. I will get into huge trouble if my dad finds out I've told anyone." At least this part is true.

Something registers in Inyoung's eyes. "Wow, you are serious. But no need to freak. Your secret's safe with me." She smiles. "That's what best friends are for."

- - -

Inyoung's mother gives us a ride home after school, and we stop by McDonald's first for something to eat. I'm snacking on Chicken McNuggets when Inyoung's mom says, "You look very familiar, Chunji. Have we met before?"

Okay, this can't be good.

"I don't see how. This is my first time in St. Louis."

She thinks it over. "Have you ever been to Texas?"

I nearly throw up.

"I used to travel there all the time on business. I thought maybe we'd run into each other there," she continues.

Mrs. Park is a pharmaceutical sales rep. Before she and Inyoung's dad divorced, she was on the road all the time.

"I'm from Georgia," Chanhee says, taking a bite of his Big Mac. "Never been to Texas before."

"Hmm." Inyoung's mom chomps on a fry. "I wonder where I've seen you then."

I rack my brain. What would Matt Damon or Sydney Bristown do in a situation like this? "He kind of looks like that singer," I supply, trying to sound casual. Beneath the table my legs are shaking so badly that my knees are literally knocking together.

"Oh, yeah!" Inyoung chimes in. "Chunji looks like Nichkhun, big time."

Mrs. Park snaps her fingers. "You're right! Nichkhun from 2PM! That must be wahy you looks so familiar. I bet you've heard that before."

"Once or twice," he says, ducking his head and taking another bite of food. He looks terribly uncomfortable.

I change the subject. "So do you know what's wrong with Mr. Jung?" I ask Inyoung.

"I heard his appendix ruptured pver the weekend."

Chanhee looks alarmed. "Who's Mr. Jung?"

"The tenth-grade English teacher," I say. "He also happens to be my homeroom teacher. He's the one who gave me detention. He's not a very nice guy. But now it looks like we're going to have a substitute for the next couple of weeks, which even worse.

Chanhee munches on a fry. "I thought substitute teachers were supposed to be fun? Back home in Georgia," he says, careful not to slip up, "we always loved when our teacher was out sick. It meant we got to goof off all period."

"Normally it does. But this sub is a jerk."

"Mr. Lee Soo Man," Inyoung says, sticking out her tongue. "He seems like a real tool. Strict and boring. He yelled at two people at the beginning of first period because they hadn't finished reading Macbeth." Inyoung's section is on a different book than mine. "Then when we were discussing the play, it turned out Mr. Lee didn't have a clue what he was talking about. How can he get mad at his students when he hasn't even read the work himself? He's the worst teacher ever." She swipes one of my McNuggets.

"I can't believe this, but I actually miss Mr. Jung," I say. "I would definitely rather have him over this Lee Soo Man creep."

"Hopefully Mr. Jung will be back soon," Mrs. park says. She polishes off the rest of her burger. "Are you guys almost ready to go?"

"Definitely," I say, tossing my empty McNugget container into the trash. I'm read to get out of there before Inyoung's mom can ask any more questions.

- - -

"We had a close call today," Chanhee tells my dad over dinner later that night. He recounts the conversation with Inyoung's mom.

"I was afraid of something like this," Dad says, setting down his kinife and fork. "That's part of why we brought you to St. Louis. You got some exposure in the papers back in Texas, but you haven't been profiled nationally."

"You've been in the newspaper?" I ask Chanhee, between bites of chicken casserole.

"Mmm-hmm. There have been tons of articles about my father, and sometimes they mention me."

Dad messages his temple. He looks tired, worried. "Do you think Mrs. Park believed your story?"

Chanhee chews on his lower lip. "I hope so. I can't be sure."

"Chunji handled it like a pro," I tell Dad. "Inyoung's mom completely bought it."

"Heejoon's the pro," he says, returning the compliment. "My mind went blank but she came up with a lie straight away."

Dad looks impressed. "Good job," he says approvingly.

'We're celebrating our daughter being a good liar," Mom says, dabbing athe corner of with a napkin. "I never thought this day would come."

"It's for a good cause," Dad says. "Now, I do have some news. Thing are going very smoothly with the business deal. It's moving even quicker than we'd hoped. Everything should be completed within the next month or two. Hopefully, we'll catch the perps before then. But even if we don't, once the deal is signed, sealed, and delivered, Chunji can return home. With any luck, we'll have you back in time for your junior prom," Dad cracks, looking very proud of himself.

But I feel miserable. Chanhee's barely been here two weeks, and already the thought of seeing him go completely depresses me.

- - -

Update because it's TEEN TOP COMEBACK~! OH MY GAWD. AAAH. L.Joe is so freaking hawt in the MV. The next top actor after Lee Byunghun, LEE BYUNGHUN. Haha. Do you get it? ...Okay, sorry. *cries silently*

Anyway! Have you seen the MV. Oh gawd. I swear I can't stop squealing throughout the whole video. And really TOP Media! L.Joe can't run that far and fast. Haha. :b And at the beginning of the MV, when Sohyun 'rejected' him and the rest members of Teen Top are behind him, I was like "Ooh~ Did they see her rejected him? XD". Yeah. I was bored and too much spazzing. Hihi<3

But anyway, THE SONG IS SO ING GOOD! And I believe their intro track, 'Teen Top' and 'Girl Friend' is the best in the whole album. The others are good too! :D Gosh. Pure hotness. Damn!

And oh! Don't watch the MV on LOEN's YT, okay?! Make sure you watch it on Teen Top's official YT! No other channels! It's not hard to do! Okay?! PROMISE ME! :D

P.S. DID YOU NOTICE RICKY'S SMIRK AT IN FRONT OF SOME KIND OF GATE? I don't know which part was it. I wish I can go back and watch it and tell you guys but I have to go and finish my homework. It's noticeable, don't worry. You'll see him. If not, you can refresh the page and watch the MV again! That way you can raise the views too! :D

P.P.S. Yeah~ I use Lee Soo Man's name. I'm sure you know why. ;) I was thinking to use Kim Young Min, SM's CEO. Rumors said he's the one that changed SM artists contract without the artists knowing, so he's the one behind all those unfairness and crazy schedule, but I don't know if it's true. But maybe it's true 'cause SM artists that won any awards, never, ever, ever, mentioned his name on their winning speech. The only one I believe that had ever mention his name was SHINee. And that was years ago. So, yeah, I decide to use LSM's name 'cause more people know him instead of KYM. Hihi.

P.P.P.S. Do you know any shop that's good at making posters like A+Changjo? (If you don't know who's A+Changjo, I guarantee you: THEY. ARE. THE. BEST. AT. MAKING. POSTERS. Sadly I can't request at them 'cause they are closed at the moment. TwT) I need to make a new one. Not that I don't like the current but I think it's not really suitable(?). Tell me if you want to suggest! :D