Chapter 10

Love Undercover

The rest of the week goes by quickly. Between working at the Copperfield Courier, serving my detention hours, and buffing up on spy techniques, I'm swamped. Before I know it, Friday morning rolls around and Chanhee/Chunji is about to start his first day at Cop-a-Feel.

I can't wait to get there and introduce him to everyone but, secretly, I'm nervous. What if no one buys that Chanhee's my long-lost cousin Chunji? What if I slip up and call him by the wrong name? I've been practicing at home, but you never know. And even if I do everything right, there's no guarantee anyone will buy it. Suddenly, out of the blue, this megahottie cousin I've never talked about before shows up. Won't people think it's weird? Plus, Chanhee and I look absolutely nothing alike. He's tall with straight black hair, black eyes, and fair skin. I'm a medium complexion with Sadako-like hair, and even in platform shows, I'm practically a midget. Not to mention the fact that Chanhee is like a definite 9 or 9.5 on the hotness scale whereas I am probably closer to a 5.5.

My panic increases when I see Chanhee waiting for me by the front door, backpack slung over his shoulder. I don't know how it's possible, but he's somehow gotten cuter since I last saw him, which was only about nine hours ago. He's dressed in loose jeans and a black button-down shirt, which he wears untucked. His dark hair keeps falling forward around his eyes. The girls are going to flip when they see him.

"You ready to go?" I ask, gathering my books together.

"I've been ready for an hour." He laughs. "I was so nervous I couldn't sleep."

"Trust me, Cop-a-Feel is nothing to get worked up over."

"Wait a second. Did you just call it Cop-a-Feel?" He bites his lip to keep from laughing.

I blush. "That's the, uh, unofficial name."

"Clever." Chanhee turns to open the door. "I can't wait to get my schedule. I wonder if I'll have any classes with you."

We walk outside and head down the street toward the school. "You're a year ahead of me, so I doubt it. Juniors and sophomores never takes English, science, or math together. But foreign language classes and things like drama and art are always mixed up."

Chanhee strolls along beside me. "What language do you take?"

"French."

"Oh, I take AP German. At least, I did at my old school. Your dad said my—Chunji's—transcripts are pretty accurate. They wanted me to be placed in courses similar to the ones I had back home. Like they wouldn't want my transcripts to say I've taken advanced Japanese when I'm barely able to order sushi."

I laugh. "Ah, come on, all you need to know to order sushi is California roll and spicy shrimp roll."

"Mmm... I love California rolls. We should have sushi sometime," he says, probably just to be nice. A guy like Chanhee wouldn't bother hanging out with someone like me unless he had to.

"Sounds like a plan," I say, but my stomach is going flippety-flop. The idea of sitting next to Chanhee at a sushi bar makes me feel weak in the knees. Plus, I can see the school off in the distance, and I'm starting to get antsy.

As we cross the street, he says, "From the way your father talks, I might be here for the rest of the school year. He doesn't know how long the investigation will last."

"That's rough." I hoist my backpack farther up my shoulder.

"Oh, I'll get through it. In the bright side, this means I have enough time to make some new friends."

As we approach the building, we stop talking about the FBI and assume our new roles: Kim Heejoon and Kim Chunji, third cousins. We're having a fake chat about family reunions when Inyoung spies us from down the street and comes running.

"There's my best friend," I tell Chanhee.

"Which one is she?" he asks.

"The one in the blue shirt," I say. Inyoung's being followed by three of her friends from the soccer team.

"Kim!" she calls when she gets within shouting distance. Chanhee and I wave back. Inyoung can move fast, so a second later she's standing in front of us, not even out of breath. "So this is the famous Kim Chunji!" she says, looking him up and down. Her jaw is practically on the floor. "Heejoon, you never told me your cousin was so... so...'

"Hot!" says Krystal Jung, the goalie for the soccer team.

"Welcome to Cop-a-Feel!" Inyoung says. "You're going to love it here." She laughs. "I know there are plenty of girls who will make sure of that!"

Chanhee looks flattered, but kind of put off. "Um, hi, I'm Chunji," he says, extending his hand to Inyoung. "Pleased to meet you." He turns to me. "Heejoon, can you show me where the office is?"

"We'll go with you!" Krystal says.

"Oh, that's all right. I really don't need all this fanfare. Heejoon can show me." He starts toward the entrance. "Thanks for offering to help, though." And with that, Chanhee and I head into the school, leaving Inyoung and the other soccer girls standing there stunned.

I deposit Chanhee at the main office, where the assistant principal is waiting for him. "I'll see you later." He leans in and gives me a quick hug before walking into the office.

It feels awesome to touch him, but it confuses me. It wasn't a romantic hug at all. It was very friendly... cousinly, even. Of course. He has to act like we're chummy—we're supposed to have known each other our whole lives. Chanhee's taking to this whole Chunji routine really well.

I look down at my watch. I still have more than ten minutes until homeroom. I could go back outside and find Inyoung, but I don't much feel like talking. I trudge down the hall and into homeroom. Mr. Jung looks up when I come in.

"Ms. Kim, nice to see you here so early."

"I'm making a concious effort to be on time."

"Glad to hear it."

I sit down and start looking over my English notes for today's quiz. A few minutes later, students start trickling in. Two girls I've never talked to before stop and ask me about Chanhee. They have all sorts of questions. How old is he? Is he single? What kind of girls does he like? I tell them seventeen, yes, and I don't know. The same thing continues through first, second, and third periods. By the time lunch rolls around, I'm an autopilot, spewing out answers before the questions are even asked. Everyone wants to know about Chanhee.

And I'm starting to get irritable. Geez. Since when did everyone become so boy crazy? I know Chanhee is hot, but you'd think my classmates had never seen a cute boy before. And there are plenty of cute guys here. Lee Sungyeol, for one. Why are all the girls so interested in Chanhee? Why can't they go drool over Lee Sungyeol or something? Chanhee does not need the attention. He's supposed to blend in, not cause a riot wherever he goes.

I join Inyoung in the cafeteria, and I notice our lunch group has swelled. There are normally six of us who eat together. Now there are ten. I've just sat down when Chanhee comes in. His eyes scan the room and land on me. He waves and begins heading over. He starts to sit by me when Tiffany Hwang appears out of nowhere.

"Hi, Chunji. Why don't you come eat with us," she coos. "We've got plenty of space."

Chanhee addresses me. "Heejoon, what do you think? Want to move over to Tiffany's table?"

I'm startled. I'm pretty sure Tiffany's invitation is for one. "Oh... that's okay. I usually sit here with Inyoung," I say, giving him an out.

"Inyoung can come, too," Chanhee suggests.

"We kind of only have room for one more," Tiffany says sweetly, of course. I can see right through her. Luckily, so can Chanhee, I think.

"You just said there was plenty of space," Chanhee points out.

Caught, Tiffany begins to backpedal. "I guess we could squeeze a few extras chairs in. But I think we've only got room for you and Heejoon. The rest of them," she wrinkles her nose as she says this, "will have to stay here."

Chanhee mulls it over for a second. "Nah, I think I'll stay here." He sits down across from me. "But thanks for the invite, Tiffany. That's awful friendly of you." I want to cheer. I can't believe he's just rejected her! I don't think that's ever happened before. Guys always fall all over Tiffany. But maybe Chanhee is tired of girls swooning over him. He's so handsome and rich, it must happen all the time.

Tiffany looks stunned, but she quickly recovers. "Oh, Chunji, that's so sweet of you want to keep your cousin company. I'll just have to sit with you guys." She climbs into the chair next to Chanhee. I want to lean across the table and slug her. I can't believe Tiffany! Why is she so pushy? Can't she take a hint?

Tiffany spends the entire lunch period leaning over Chanhee while he eats. She's wearing a dangerously low-cut shirt, and her s keep threatening to pop out and smack him in the face. She talks a mile a minute, pumping Chanhee for information. "What kind of house do your parents have in Georgia? Is it one of the gorgeous plantation homes? How long are you going to be staying in St. Louis? Do you like it here? Do you have a girlfriend? Are you into red-heads?" But the worst is when she asks him if he has a date for Valentine's Day, even thought it's nearly four weeks away! Chanhee politely answers her questions, but he doesn't offer a lot of information about himself. The whole time Tiffany's talking, he seems very uncomfortable. I don't blame him. He has to maintain his cover. Making up stories about his "fake" life—growing up in Peach Tree City and playing for the boys' basketball team—has to be tiring. I'd never be able to keep it all straight.

"I didn't think I'd make it out of there alive!" Chanhee whispers in my ear when we leave the lunchroom. "I was sweating bullets."

"I couldn't tell. You came off as totally calm, cool, and collected."

"Bye, sweetie," Tiffany says, coming up from the side and giving Chanhee a peck on the cheek. "See you around."

"Not that if I can help it," I mumble.

"What's that?" he asks, cocking his head to the side.

"Uh, I said, 'My, she's helpful.'"

"Uh huh," Chanhee says, his eyes twinkling. "'Cause I should have sworn I heard something else."

- - -

Since I still have one day left of detention, Chanhee waits for me after school in the library. He was planning to walk home by himself, but I suggested he hang around in the library until I finished. I felt awful doing it, but I want to follow Dad's orders. I have to keep an eye on Chanhee. I'm probably being paranoid. How much trouble could he get into walking home from school by himself? But after the whole Toyota scare the other night, I figure it's safer than sorry.

I go find Chanhee once I'm finished with detention.

"I'm sorry you had to stick around," I say when I get there.

He close his precalculus book. "That's okay. I needed to get some homework done anyway. It's easier to concentrate here than at home."

"I have to stop by the Courier office and pick up my assignment for the next issue. You don't mind tagging along, do you?"

"Sure, no problem." Chanhee stuffs his books into his backpack and we head out of the library. "I can't believe how far behind I am. By the time I get caught up, the school year will be over."

We walk down the hall and round the corner, heading toward the Courier office. "I'd offer to help, but I don't know if it would do any good. I'm probably not familiar with the subjects you're taking."

"Probably not. Thanks anyway."

I push open the door to the Courier office and Chanhee follows me inside. "I'll be right back." I go over to my mailbox, which is located on the far wall of the newsroom. All the staffers have our own mailboxes and our managing editor, Minho, leaves notes and phone messages for us there. Since I had to miss the planning meeting Wednesday after school, I don't get any say in what my next story assignment will be. I'm worried I'll get stuck with the worst job ever. As it turns out, I'm right.

"Damn!" I mutter.

"Problem?"

I whirl around to find Lee Sungyeol standing behind me. "Oh, hi, Sungyeol." I turn approximately ten shades of red. "I just got stuck with a crappy story assignment."

"Minho screwed you, too?" he asks, leaning over my arm to read. "New plumbing in the faculty bathroom. Ouch! That's rough. I got stuck covering the upcoming chess match."

I scratch my head. "Since when is chess considered a sport?"

"Since I missed Wednesday's staff meeting to take my car to the shop. Minho's getting revenge. He pulled rank and told me that if I couldn't bother to show up for meetings, then I couldn't handle the responsibilities of an editor. So he took over my section for the next issue."

I can't believe it! Lee Sungyeol and I are having an actual conversation that doesn't involve floppy disks or tobogganing. "What a jerk!"

"That's Minho for you What'd you do to earn plumbing duty?"

I laugh. "I got stuck in detention so I missed the meeting, too. He said, 'If you can't be here to do your job, then I'll do it for you.' And he gave all the best features articles out to other staffers."

"That . But why did you get detention? You don't seem like a detention type of girl."

Oh my God! So Sungyeol has actually paid attention to my type? Before I can answer he glances down at his watch and says, "I gotta go. Hang in there, Heejoon. I bet you'll write the best damn plumbing piece this school has ever seen."

Sungyeol leaves and I stand there, mouth agape. He called me Heejoon. Lee Sungyeol knows my name!

I glance up to see Chanhee staring at me, a weird look on his face. He's been watching me talk to Sungyeol and when I meet his eyes, he looks away. For some strange reason, I feel guilty. Then I push that thought out of my head. It's silly to feel this way. I mean, it's not like Chanhee is interested in me at all.

Is he?

- - -

Okay, whoa! I'm sorry for not updating lately! My laziness is kicking off. :b

But, whatever. It's not like I have more than twenty subscribers to read. Heh.

Anyway~ Enjoy and don't forget to leave comment! :3

Updated on: 12:25am, 18.12.2011

Why is he sooooooo gorjas?! He almost ruin my bias list!!! ;w;