Chapter 11

Love Undercover

I am a terrible secret agent. I have virtually zero dedication. First sign of defeat and I throw in the towel. I stopped by the school library after lunch yesterday to see if they had any good spy books. Nada. I got way discouraged and let myself slack off. Now I'll have to work double time to catch up. When I get home from school on Friday, I'm pleased to see two red Netflix envelopes sitting in the mailbox. Yes! It's time to launch the next phase of my plan: spy movies.

I briefly debate making popcorn, but decide against it. I'll need both hands free to take notes and practice whatever cool spy moves I can pick up. I wave good-bye to Chanhee, then rush up to my room, taking the stairs two at a time. I put The Bourne Identity in the machine and hit play. In addition to being a fabulous way to learn, this is going to be a rocking good time. I grab a few clean pieces of paper from my English folder and prepare to take notes. I'm going to write down everything that happens. I can use all the help I can get.

When the opening scene rolls, I quickly forget about taking notes. Wow, Matt Damon sure is hot. Even with bullet holes in his back. Ew, they're deep-sea fishing and the boat is rocking so much. I would get way seasick. Now they're docking in a foreign country. Where is that? It looks like Italy, or maybe France.

I fast forward past a couple of slow scenes. Not that the movie is boring, but I really need to get to the spy parts. I finally slow it down in time to catch a scene of Matt kung fu chopping two police officers in a park. Now we're getting somewhere! That lightning-fast one-two punch thing he does looks pretty awesome. Knowing a move like that could sure come handy if I need to protect Chanhee. I know it's completely silly and far-ferched to take spy ideas from movies—and I highly doubt I’ll even use any of this stuff—but it looks like so much fun.

I back the DVD up and then go through the scene frame by frame. After I’ve watched it a couple times, I get up and try to mimic what he’s doing. I pull two pillows off my bed and karate chop them, Matt Damon-style. Then I practice throwing them onto the ground. I’m midway through my attack when my bedroom door swings open. One of the pillows goes flying out of my hands and sails into Chanhee’s face.

“Oh, crap!” I shriek, rushing over to help him. “Are you okay?”

“I broke the golden rule,” he says, lowering the pillow from his face to reveal a grin. “I snuck up on you while you were,” he glances at the TV, “watching The Bourne Identity.”

“Sorry. I was, um, doing some stretches.”

Chanhee leans back against the doorframe. “I was just wondering something.”

I eye him quizzically. He seems nervous. “Is everything all right?”

“Oh, sure. But I wanted to know—do you have Tiffany’s e-mail address?”

“No, but she’s on Myspace.com,” I tell him. “You can message her through there if you sign up.”

He grins. “I used to love MySpace. But I took down my account a few weeks ago and I can’t put a new one up.”

“Too high profile?” I ask.

He nods. “Exactly. I don’t want to splash my name and face all over the Internet. All I would need is for some of my old friends from Texas to see my picture listed next to the name Kim Chunji.”

“Good thinking.” I pause. “I could message Tiffany on my account if you want. Ask her to call you or something.” Secretly, I’m hoping he doesn’t take me up on the offer.

“That’d be great!” he says, smiling.

I want to ask why he needs to talk to her, but I stop myself. Isn’t it obvious? He probably wants to ask her out. I feel deflated, but I try my best to hide it.

“Anyway, I’ll let you get back to your movie,” Chanhee says, glancing at the screen. “I’ve heard it’s really good.”

“You can watch it with me,” I say. “You know, if you want to…”

“Sounds fun.” Chanhee sits down on the edge of my bed. “Can you catch me up on the plot so far?”

I briefly fill him in as best as I can on what’s been happening, then unpause the DVD.

I don’t know why, but I feel really awkward all of a sudden. It’s not every day I have a boy in my room. In fact, the last time was… never. Mom and Dad have always had a rule against it. Despite how much they liked Henry, they wouldn’t even let him up here. Which is probably a good thing. Henry was a huge horndog when we were hanging out at the movies or downstairs on the couch. If we’d spent any time alone in my bedroom, I might have gone a few bases further than I wanted to.

I sit down next to Chanhee. He scoots back on the bed until he’s leaning against the headboard. “I’ve always wanted to watch this. But I don’t get to go to the movies much back home.”

Right, I think, of course he doesn’t. Chanhee’s probably too busy hanging out at country clubs or vacationing on friends’ yachts.

We watch the movie in silence for a while. Every now and then one of us cracks a joke or comments quickly on the plot. Whenever someone is speaking German, Chanhee translates for me.

Chanhee seems to be enjoying himself. And despite it being weird having this boy in my room, it really does feel so normal hanging out with him like this. There’s no way my parents can object since they’re the ones who brought him in the house in the first place.

Somewhere around the big car chase scene, I move back until I’m sitting right beside Chanhee at the top of the bed. It’s much more comfortable back here, even if it gives me butterflies being this close to him.

The longer the movie goes on, the more I realize what a crappy spy I am. Matt Damon’s character can run ridiculously fast, even at high altitudes, whereas I at running. He’s also really good at stunt driving and handling weapons. But no matter how hard I try to focus on the secret agent part of the movie, I keep getting distracted by the love story.

I can’t help thinking how y it is when Matt Damon kisses the German girl—he’s totally passionate—and how much I wish someone would kiss me like that. I glance over at Chanhee briefly and, right at the exact moment, he looks over at me! We make eye contact for a nanosecond, then quickly turn away. Then Matt and the girl start making out and I feel a hot blush creeping up the back of my neck. Whoa, this is getting heavy! Thankfully, they cut the scene a second later.

My dad comes home with Chinese takeout right around the time we finish watching The Bourne Identity. After we eat, Chanhee goes up to the quest room to work on his homework and I head to my bedroom to watch James Bond. My original plan was to watch the entire James Bond series, but the Pierce Brosnan movies are the only ones I can handle. Even still, 007 doesn't offer me anything useful. Bond spends half the movie making out with chicks and the other half using complicated gadget thingies that I can't get out my hands on.

All in all, I don't enjoy Bond that much. I'm not sure if it's the actual movie or if it's because I can't get my mind off Chanhee. I keep wishing we were watching it together.

- - -

Inyoung calls later that night. It's just turned ten-thirty p.m. and I'm getting ready for bed. I tuck the Winnie the Pooh phone under my ear and proceed to change into my pajamas while we talk. But Winnie, in addition to looking a bit childish, is very difficult to balance under my ear. I keep dropping the phone on the floor and having to pick it back up.

"Do you want to spend the night tomorrow?" she asks.

"I can't," I tell her. I kick off my shoes and throw them in a pile in the corner.

"Come on, Kim. You already canceled our standard Friday afternoon Quiznos and mall trip because of detention. The least you can do is hang out with me tomorrow."

"I'm sorry, I really can't. My dad insisted I stick around the stuff. Family stuff," I say. This isn't exactly one hundred percent true. Dad did suggest it would be good if I spent some time with Chanhee this weekend, but he never insisted.

"Speaking of family, your cousin Chunji is freaking awesome!" she says. "When you e-mailed me about him you neglected to mention the most important part."

"Which is?" I ask.

"That he's—"

The phone slips out from under my ear again. "Dang it!" I lean down and pick it up. "Sorry, Inyoung, I didn't catch any of that. I dropped the phone."

"I was just talking about how fine Chunji is. He looks like star."

"Yeah, he looks like Nichkhun from 2PM," I say, struggling to keep Winnie in place.

"You're right, he does! Oh my gosh, he looks exactly like Nichkhun. Kim, you are so lucky to be living in a house with a guy like him. I would just sit and stare at him all day."

Don't I know it! But of course I don't say this out loud. "Uh, gross, he's my cousin. Remember?"

"But he's not a first cousin, right?"

"Third." I reach into my dresser and pull out my pj's.

"So he's practically a nonrelative."

Take out the practically and you've got it right. "I don't care how far along he is on the family tree," I say, laughing. "A relative is a relative. That's digusting."

"Then let me at him!"

"Inyoung! What about your boyfriend?"

She giggles. "What boyfriend?"

"Lee Byunghun. You know, your on-again off-again." I climb into my pajamas and toss my jeans and T-shirt in the hamper.

"Byunghun, schmathan. I'd throw him on the back burner if it meant a shot with Chunji."

I put a hand on Winnie to hold him in place. "Are you serious? You'd really toss Byunghun out like yesterday's garbage for a quick hookup with Chunji?"

"No," she admits, sounding disappointed. "I'd never do that to Byunghunnie. I'm all talk, no action."

"That's not necessarily a bad thing. At least, not when it comes to cheating."

Inyoung starts telling me all the details of her latest phone conversation with Byunghun. While she talks I move over to my computer and log on to MySpace. I need to send Tiffany a quick note, like I promised Chanhee. Before I can go to Tiffany's profile, I notice the blue New Friend Requests! icon on my screen. I quickly on it.

"Oh... my... God!" I breathe.

"What?"

"Listen to this: Sports with Sungyeol wants to be your friend!" I shriek.

"Huh? Who is Sports with Sungyeol and why does he want to be my friend?"

"No, no, no... Inyoung! I'm on MySpace right now and Lee Sungyeol just sent me a friend request!"

"Oh!" she squeals. "Yes! That's right, I forgot his screen name was Sports with Sungyeol. He sent you a friend request?"

"Yes!"

"Kim, that's awesome!"

I quickly hit accept. "This is too cool for words." I know I'm kind of a dork for being so excited, but I can't believe Sungyeol took the time to look me up on MySpace. I scroll over to Tiffany's profile and send her a message.

Hi Tiffany,

This is Kim Heejon. My cousin, Chunji, wants you to call him when you get the chance.

I type out our phone number and click send.

"What are you typing?" Inyoung asks. "Sending Sungyeol a message?"

"Actually, I'm writing Tiffany Hwang."

"Ew. Why?"

"Chunji asked me to."

"What, does he want to go out with her or something?"

"I guess so." I feel my mood sink again.

"Your cousin has bad taste."

"Apparently he doesn" The phone starts slipping again and when I grab it I accidentally bop myself in the chin. "Ow!" I moan, rubbing my face.

"Problem, Kim?"

I flop back on the bed and kick out my legs. "It's this stupid phone. It's causing all kinds of problems."

"Yeah, what's up with that? I can't hear you at all."

"I'm talking on a really old plastic phone." I twirl the cord around my fingers. "Actually, it's a Winnie the Pooh phone from when I was five."

"Okay, two questions. One, why did you keep a baby phone and, two, why are you talking on it?"

"I don't know. Nostalgia?"

"I think that's enough nostalgia for one night," Inyoung says. "Come on, switch it back."

I think it over. She's right, the connection on this thing is terrible. And it is really awkward to hold against my head.

Oh, to hell with it. "I'll call you right back," I say, and then I hang up and plug my cordless phone back in, vowing to switch back to Winnie the Pooh as soon as this conversation is over.

As soon as Inyoung answers, I continue, "So, let's talk about Lee Sungyeol a little more..."

- - -

I am so sorry for not updating after like million years! I was out of town for a week and before leaving, I thought I had posted this chapter but then I realized I haven't unmarked the 'Hide chapter'! ;w;

I am so sorry! I hope you guys haven't forget about this stupid fic yet.

But anyway! How's your Christmas? :3 Did you have fun? I hope you do. ^^

TVXQ GIFs for you! :D Happy new year everyone! ^^

 Hihi. Poor maknae<3

Updated on: 1:11pm, 30.12.2011

Oh my gawd... Block B in tuxedos: MAJOR HOTNESS<3