Chapter Three

Just One Yesterday

 

THREE

      Why do I end up with Hyesung (I finally got to ask for his name) at some neglected automatic laudry I sleep at when it's empty is beyond me. But he looked so miserable at the corner of the street, watching me walk away after I told him to just get lost and take care of himself. I'm not the kind to surrender so easily, but he reminded me of Bonny (it was my dog when I was a kid) my stepfather abandoned in the middle of the night on some road side.

I loved this dog. He was like a friend and brother. He was everything to me and this bastard had to abandon him like that just to teach me a lesson. I already hated this guy when he entered our life, but two years later, at only seven I hated his guts for abandoning the most important thing in my life.

I don't like to think about the past, but Hyesung looked just like Bonny, standing there on the sidewalk in the night, watching me disappear away. It hurt, it freaking hurt and I couldn't just leave him here, alone in the night.

So here we are. In the automatic laundry, laying on a bench each trying to sleep. There's an old homeless guy passed out in one of the corner, his gray beard covering most of his reddening face but doing nothing to hide his thinness. I'm laying as far away as possible from him but I still smell the strong stench of alcohol, and the only positive point of such thing is the guy certainly won't be any bother tonight.

I can hear Hyesung turning from right to left on the bench, and I can't help think he'll have to get used to it because it's now the only comfort he'll find to sleep. It's sad. Depressing even, but I never think about it because I'll just feel like giving up and I'm not the kind to just give up.

Besides that, Hyesung has to be laying on the only ing bench of the place squeaking everytime he moves. It could get on my nerves (and it does for a minute) but luckily for me I'm used to noises by now and can fall asleep anywhere. Even if the sound's still pretty annoying, once I'm asleep I can't care less.


 

      The next morning's like any other one for me, but for Hyesung, it looks pretty difficult. The boy don't look like he slept much this night, which I can totally understand. His previously nice, sulky hair are now messy and darker. I can completely picture him tossing around all night in hope to get some sleep, and I hate the fact such mental image makes me feel so bad for him. I shouldn't get concerned about this boy, but I can't help it.

My initial plan's to dump Hyesung after breakfast. I originally would have wanted to dump him at the automatic laundry, but I can't resolve myself to do so at such miserable sight he makes.

“What time is it ?” Asks Hyesung now sitting on the bench with a rub of his face hidden in his hands.

I observe him a second before getting up and stretching. “Don't know. Something like... seven ?”

I really don't know. I don't have any watch and the only clock in the automatic laundry is broken.

“Ten to six.” I hear and look at Hyesung.

Frowning, I'm about to ask what he means then how the he knows what hour it is... then I notice the watch at his wrist.

“Why the did you ask if you know ? I don't have no ing watch, golden boy.” I say rather roughly, and even if Hyesung tenses up a second, he then smiles up at me.

“Sorry. Old habit... I guess.” He says, his words turning softer on the end as he stood up in a groan and crack.

I can't help grin and say, “Rough night.”

Blinking, Hyesung looks up at me then seems to remember these very first words he said to me -which makes him glare for a second. I'm surprised by such dark look on his usually stupid face, but then the look is gone and the damn smile's back. Rolling my eyes, I feel myself stiffen when Hyesung chuckles gently.

What an idiot.

“You hungry ?” I ask and he nods before looking at something passed me.

Following his gaze, I remember the homeless guy in the corner, and staring at him, I wait for him to move or do something, but nothing happens. Looking back at the boy, the frighten look forming on his face doesn't pass unnoticed, and if annoyed, I still walk to the guy to check on him.

“Hey ! Wake up.” I say, kicking his foot, but he doesn't move.

Swallowing, I then sigh and crouch closer to feel his breathe then pulse when I can't sense it. There's none. Great !

“He's dead.” I say and look back at the paler Hyesung standing there like he just saw a ghost. Well, I guess this situation comes pretty close to ghost ones. “Come on, let's go.”

“What about him ?” Asks Hyesung as I take his arm to lead him out of the automatic laundry.

Swallowing a sigh, I take upon myself to stay calm and not snap at the boy. He just woke up in the same room of a dead guy after all, and if it's not really unusual in our situation, I can't forget it's his first night like this. What a great way to remember forever his first times in the street -as if he needed any more memory about it.

“We can't leave him like that.” He says when I look up at him, and this time I can't help sigh.

“What do you wanna do ? He's dead.” I try to take him out of the place again, but he refuses to move -what a pain in the .

“We should call the police or something, no ?”

I snort. This boy is really too innocent for this ing life. Then, he had a pretty good one before this , and he should really get used to the street before his ignorance gets him killed. Sticking to me like that was already a big mistake, and I can't help shiver at the thought he could have met so much worse than me.

Better not think about it.

“Boy ! If you didn't notice already we're homeless. We don't call cops and we don't deal with like that. These stuffs happen, it's sad and all but you can't do anything about it. So just move before I dump your sorry here.”

Hyesung stares at me in visible shock, and watching as his Adam apple bobs, I try again to drag him out which works.

“What about him ? What's gonna happen to him ?” He asks once outside, and I sigh loudly. What's his deal with this guy ? Who cares what'll happen to him ? He's dead. ! I feel this boy's gonna drive me crazy.

“People'll find him. They'll call the cops, end of story.”

Hyesung doesn't add anything as we walk away which I'm glad for. I'm not that good of a morning person, and I've already talked too much in too little time.

“Do you think he's family ?”

Of course ! Of ing course Hyesung would not shut up -even if these five minutes spent in silence made me believe otherwise. It seems just impossible for this boy to shut up.

“I don't know.”

“If he does...” ! Just shut up. “Do you think they'll miss him ?”

“Why would they ?”

I see Hyesung's expression darken in the corner of my eyes and decide to ignore it.

“He died alone...”

“Listen Hyesung !” I say eventually, not able to bear this discussion anymore -and the boy stops abruptly when I face him suddenly. “Forget about this guy. He was no one. No one will miss him and you shouldn't even worry about him.”

Hyesung looks down and I hate this pang in my chest. Why the do I care like that about his feelings ? It just doesn't make sense, and I hate him for that.

“Now we've to go if you want something to eat this morning.”

He doesn't say anything and just follow me like a depressed puppy. Why the do I always compare him to a dog ? I don't know nor care. I don't want to care.


 

      I want to punch Dongwan's ing smile off his damn stupid face. I hate the look in his eyes and I hate how happy he seems about Hyesung being (still) there with me.

“How are you doing today ?” He asks, looking at both of us, and I glare at him.

“Fine.” I say, burying my hands in my pockets. “We woke up to a dead guy.”

Hyesung's head whips up at my words and Dongwan's smile eventually disappears. Good !

“Where ?”

“The automatic laundry on the 27th.” I say ever so casually, and I can't care less about the dumfounded look Hyesung's giving me. “Drunk himself to death.” I scoff then and take the bag handed to me. “Well, I'll see you around.”

I walk away and not long after Hyesung follows after me. He looks bothered by I've no will to concern myself with the why and how.

“Minwoo ?” Damn ! This boy really can't shut up more than five minutes. I'm sincerely starting to hate it.

“What ?” I chew on my bread and drink some water.

“Do you think my father'll take me back in if I go back home ?”

What ?

Looking at the boy, I observe him for real since this morning started. I noticed he didn't look that peachy when he woke up -but what new person to the street would ? But now I'm really looking at him I realize how different he is from the boy I met yesterday on the beach.

This innocent, lively glint in his eyes is gone. He looks tired out of his mind and I feel like he's gonna break down at any second. I can understand how hard it must be on him, and I'm not surprised his situation's eventually kicking him in the face -but I wasn't ready to be there when it'll happen and I don't like to face such thing.

“Maybe if I apologize and promise to be normal he'll take me back in.” A tear fall from his eye and I don't know what to do with myself anymore.

Comforting people was never part of my life, and being around people needing comfort either. I've spent most of my life on my own, caring about myself and myself only. So I've no idea what to do and swallowing this piece of bread is almost impossible and damn painful.

“Hyesung...” I say but don't know what to add. I can't ing recognize my voice either, and if he could just stop crying and being so sad it would be nice.

“I don't want to die alone.” He says, suddenly bursting into tears.

! What ? What do I do now ? What's going on ? Why is he crying like that ? What should I do ? Do I comfort him ? Do I talk to him ? Do I leave him alone and disappear from his life -, I'll love to do just that.

What do I do ?

Do I hug him ? Ugh, it sounds so gross even in my head. I've never hugged anyone before -or at least I can't remember hugging someone before, and the only contacts I ever had with people were with their fists and feet. I don't like to be too close to people, so the only idea of hugging Hyesung is grossing me out.

“Huh, Hyesung...” I say, trying again to get some-ing-thing out of my mouth, but I can't find no word and I'm getting desperate to do something to make this boy stop crying. I don't like to see people like that, and it's making me so freaking uncomfortable.

“He said I was humanity's shame.” He says, sobbing hard and hiding his face in his crossed arms on his knees. “That I... that I...”

! He's gonna choke on his own tears if he keeps this up. What do I do ?

“Hey, huh... It's alright, okay ? Just calm down.” I say, patting his back ever so awkwardly that one would wonder if I was touching someone or a pile of disgusting trash.

I'm really not used to touch people and I so hate Hyesung for putting me in such uncomfortable position. Looking at the crying boy, there's no way for me to stay mad at him, and I hate him even more for that.

“I didn't mean to be like that...” He says, still sobbing hard, and even if I've an idea about what he's talking about, what makes me really uncomfortable is this overall situation happening in the open where everyone can see.

There's not many people around at this early hour, and the ones passing by are too busy with their own person to bother about us. But what if someone notices us and realizes Hyesung's crying hard and thinks I did something to him ? I don't want to get in trouble for something I didn't even do. No one would believe me besides that. Between the golden boy and homeless street rat... people won't hesitate long to decide who's at fault in the story.

Even if I didn't do a ing thing !

Dammit. Why can't he stop crying already ? How can someone cry so much anyway ?

“ Hyesung... Just stop it already.” I say in a mutter and hand flat on his back to rock him slowly. “It's gonna be alright, okay ? You're not alone.”

Shut up ! Shut the up ! What are you saying ? Don't make him hear you'll be there for him ! Don't make him believe you'll stick around just because you feel bad for him. Don't ing get into this and walk away, NOW !

As if waiting only that, Hyesung's sobs subside and his face re-appears from his crossed arms. He looks worse than before with his moistened face and puffy red eyes staring at me. Why are you looking at me like that ? Don't look at me ! Forget about me. I didn't mean anything by this stupid thing I said. Don't get attached to me. I don't want you ! I don't want you around me.

“Really ?” ! How can someone so annoying can sound so miserable.

“Huh... yeah ?” NO ! No ing no ! What are you saying ? Don't ing tell me you're doing all that just because you can't handle some ing tears ? What the is wrong with you ?

“I don't know what to do.” He says in a sob, and I stiffen in fear he'll start crying again.

“I...”

“I know you hate me.” He says, tears running down his cheeks once again.

, no ! Don't cry, please, just... don't cry.

“I, huh... I don't hate you, what are you saying ?” I try a small awkward smile, and hate myself for more than that.

! If I could picture the war happening in my head it would have me being shot straight through the eyes and falling down sharp and hard. What the hell am I doing ?

“Don't lie. I know you don't like me.”

“Come on Hyesung. Stop saying such bulls, of course I don't hate you.”

Yes I do ! I do hate you ! I have to hate you. I want to hate you. ! Why can't I hate you ?

Dammit.

“Can I stay with you then... just for a bit ?” He says and I freeze.

! Now I feel like I was played like the worst idiot and I can't ing back off anymore.

Hyesung, I ing hate you boy ! I do.

“Huh...”

Hyesung looks up at me and says, “I won't bother you. I just don't know what to do... please, don't leave me alone like that.”

And here he is, crying again. Dammit. I really hate this boy and this damn headache forming hurts like a .

“Okay.” I say, sighing in defeat, and I can feel Hyesung relaxing beside me.

Awe-ing-some. I just got myself into something I never wanted to happen.

What do I do now ?



I feel like this chapter is damn short, but maybe only because chapter two was longer than what I usually write. This one is longer than the first one at least, but still, it feels a lot shorter to me -_- I'm rambling, sorry.

So, do you like our dear MinSyung here ? I'm not used to write softer stuffs (even if the fic's plot and environment isn't that soft) you know what I mean ;pp

Is there MinSyung fans out there ? Or fans interested by them even if not shippers (I'm not one either). I really hope you like this fic ^^

/Slef-confidence, come back ! *runs after it*/

Thank you for supporting me ="3