Chapter Two

Just One Yesterday

 

TWO

      Why am I even surprised to find this kid still there, waiting for me at the same spot I left him ? I swear, he's just a ing puppy waiting for his master. It could be appealing, but I'm just annoyed by the nuisance following me around and getting on my nerves.

“Where are you going now ?” I hear and ignore.

If I can't get ride of him I'll just disregard this boy's mere existence before dumping him somewhere. I'm too lazy right now to run around so it'll have to wait after breakfast.

Keeping an attentive ear, I can't help expect something else from the kid, but he doesn't add anything and just follow me. Well, at least he can take a hint to shut up, which is already great considering all this nonsense he's representing since I woke up.

      There's quite a long line of homeless people at the usual stand Dongwan's distributing free food. It's never anything fancy, just some milk, bread, juice and soup. The guy's been around for more than ten years apparently, and for an old dude he's pretty nice. I don't really know how old he's (he told me once but I forgot). It's something around thirty but it didn't stop us from becoming acquaintances. I don't like to call people friends, because friends doesn't exist and I've none.

But Dongwan is the closest thing to a friend I guess.

He cares about me. Asks me how I'm today and what's up with me. I always give short answers because well, the life in the street is pretty the same old you don't want to babble about for hours. Dongwan doesn't mind my lack of conversation or rudeness, and he's trying for real to help people like me, but he's no God and can't do much excepted give good addresses for this or that and listen to us when we need to talk.

I don't know much about the man, but I don't need to. As long as he's here to give me food every mornings and get me clothes when I need to, it's good with me.

“Hey Minwoo, how are you doing today ?” This bright smile of his always cheers me up, and smiling back, I stand at the table and wait.

“Good. I'm a bit sore, but it's nothing your delicious soup won't fix.” I say with a teasing grin, and Dongwan chuckles.

I always loved this man's laugh. It's so clear and innocent. It makes you feel like laughing with him, and it gives you a sensation of comfort. Maybe that's why I always feel in a joking mood around him.

Talking with Dongwan, I suddenly notice the man's eyes moving aside repeatedly. I wonder at first what's distracting him like that, then I remember my second shadow and sigh.

“Don't mind him.” I say, taking the bag handed to me.

“A friend of yours ?” Asks Dongwan with a raised brow and imperceptible curve of his lips.

I can't help glare at the man for such obvious reaction before saying, “No. He's been following me around since this morning. I can't get ride of him.”

Dongwan gives me a surprised look, “Who is he ?”

“I don't know.” I shrug back, not caring at all about this kid.

“Well...” He resumes, looking over my shoulder at the boy behind me. “Are you hungry ?” He smiles and I can't help roll my eyes.

“Ignore him. He's just some bored golden boy with nothing better to do than annoy others' to death.”

There's a look of something looking like sadness passing on Dongwan's face, but I don't care. It's not like this boy's anything to me and while I'll be sleeping on some concrete tonight he'll be back in his bed in his big house.

“Here.” Smiles Dongwan with a bag handed to the boy, and I don't know why it upsets me so much.

“Didn't you hear what I said ?” I snap, snatching the bag from the man's hand to give it at some random homeless guy behind me. “He doesn't need your charity. All he needs is a kick in the and to off !” I glare at the boy after that and walk away.

! This idiot's really getting on my nerves and I hope he'll just disappear.

      Sitting on a stair near a park, I eat my breakfast in burning annoyance. This kid's still there, sitting beside me and smiling when our gazes meet. It's enraging and I feel like punching him. I'm not the violent kind though, so I vent my frustration on my bread I chew on furiously.

It's really a wonder why he's sticking like that to me, and I already have as plan to get ride of him when I'll be done eating. He doesn't look like the sportive kind, and I'm sure I'll outrun him in no time. Then welcome back my peaceful loneliness.

I can't help grin at the thought, then I hear, “What's so funny ?”

Damn ! This kid has a gift to break my moments, and with a murderous glare, I refuse to answer him and resume my breakfast.

He's just sitting beside me, waiting and no ! I don't feel guilty at all for eating while he's certainly starving or whatever. Is he even starving anyway ? I doubt it. He comes from a good family, and I'll be surprised if he was being starved by them. I'm not the kind to judge at first glance, but everything in this boy scream 'rich'. From his perfect hair to his pale, delicate skin and features followed by his wrinkle free and certainly expensive clothes.

Who wears a button-up blue shirt with black pants and shoes around here anyway ? Besides golden boys I can't tell.


 

      I take a few minutes to digest before moving and resuming my pointless walk of the day. If I'm lucky, I'll manage to enter a club and participate to today's dance battle, if I'm not, I'll just dance at my usual spot in hope to get enough money to at least eat tonight.

The kid follows me as I walk along the sidewalk, and by this point I'm not even annoyed anymore, just tired. It's a wonder how he's not tired either. It's not like I care, and checking carefully the road, I wait for the right moment before breaking in a run and crossing the street. I hear some cars honk but I'm fast and I know what I'm doing.

I'm sure the boy didn't manage to follow me, and when I step on the other side of the street, I glance behind me and grin when the pretty boy's standing there, looking confused and uncertain. Good. He won't follow me anymore now, and running away some more, I eventually relax and stop when I'm sure I'm too far to be found.

Damn ! It feels good to eventually be alone. This boy was really annoying and I hope I won't come across him again.

*

      Dance battles always happen later at night, and meanwhile I just wander around and practice a bit against street dancers. I usually practice on my own at my usual spot where Liam brings music, but I can't resist the thrill of a little competition. Most of the time you're free to participate, but when you steal the spotlight you're often kicked away, which happens to me a lot. It's not like I do it on purpose (okay, maybe I do) but I'm good at what I'm doing and I hope one day it'll get me out of the street.

I freestyle a lot with Liam near the main square, but we're not the only ones (even if ones of the bests) and the police tend to kick us away if people complain about our presence. It's not like we're bothering anyone, but when a dozen of street dancers gather around the same perimeter it becomes noisy and these ladies with their rich husbands doesn't appreciate the lack of peacefulness in their dear little town.

As if they couldn't stay in their freaking houses where it's so damn quiet instead of preventing us from gaining the money we'll use to stay alive -unlike them. It's not easy to get noticed in such place with so many other dancers, but it's the place you've to be too if you want a chance to get your name known.

Mine's getting known around clubs -not specifically for the reasons I'll want, but it's still that. When I was fresh around the area, I managed to enter easily and participate to battles, but then they started blacklisting me because I wasn't giving them any profit and just winning the money of the competition.

It's no secret mobsters use these battles to make their protegee win, and when I beat them it doesn't stand well for the club. It's secret arrangement everyone actually know about for whatever reason, and everyone get a thing out of this. Excepted people like me.

I've nothing to do with any sponsors or whatnot and when I win against a protegee it's good for no one but me. I guess that's why clubs are slowly blacklisting me.

Maybe I should reconsider being sponsored, but I don't really want to have some gangster controlling my life and career, which makes things complicated, I know. It's how it works around here, and if I want to make it the right way in this city I need pass in better clubs and competition, but it's not easy to get there and I'm working on it.

I just need to wait for the right person to notice me and get me inside the circle, then I'll just have to do my thing and get my outta this ty life. It's my dream, and I'm not ready to give up on it yet.


 

      When night's eventually here, I wait across the street as people enter the club. They all look so happy and excited about their night, and I can't help roll my eyes at the particularly loud girls laughing big and moving too much. I have nothing against girls... I just don't like this type. Too much make-up, too much iness, too much everything, and instead of being attractive they just look cringe-worthy to me. I know I'm in no position to judge these rich girls, but I've nothing else to do and tonight's a particularly heavy night customers speaking.

I know the bouncer at the door. He knows me too, and he usually lets me inside from the back door. He's a nice guy. Behind his imposing appearance, he's like a big teddy bear and he hates when I tell him such thing. He's name's Redgy, and if not for ever experiencing being homeless, he's familiar with discrimination and knows it's not easy. Which is why he took a liking in me.

While he is black, fat and far from beauty standards, I'm Asian (which helps even less here), short, a bit too stubborn for some people's liking and homeless. I've little in my favor here and Redgy likes my moves. If he hadn't saw me freestyle at the main square he would have never let me in, but Redgy's a big fan of street dance and knows talent when he sees it.

The guy's freaking smart and it's a shame he's stuck with this bouncer job. I know he wants to get a club of his own one day, or even open a dance studio, but like many people no one sees in this city, he lacks money so his dream will certainly be that for the rest of his life.

I just hope it won't be the case for me. I'm working hard on reaching my goals, but nothing's helping me and while Redgy's getting older (he's now thirty-two) I'm still young and allowed to dream. Despite everything, I'm free, free to write my own story and seeing Redgy stuck in this damn place for the past ten years makes my stomach churn and determination enhance.


 

      The back alleyway reeks of pee like often, but I don't care, just like Redgy smoking there leaned against the back door don't. It's been near to two hours now since I arrived and now everyone's inside the club the street's quieter. I like it, even if I enjoy lively places, these girl's cackling were just too annoying.

“Hey boy.”  The black man smiles when he spots me, and smiling, I shake his hand strongly. “You want inside, don't you ?”

I don't like the expression on his face nor the sound of his voice, and when he grimaces and shakes his head, I know I've little chances to compete tonight -which won't stop me from trying.

“Come on Redge, I'm dead broke, I need the money.”

“I know little one, but I can't let you in. My boss heard about you and said he'll do worse than fire me if I let you in ever again. I've a baby to take care of Minwoo, you understand me.”

I know. I know too well not only Redgy's a freaking good guy but he's a family to take care of for the past couple months. He was always ranting about his girlfriend when they met two years ago, and now they've a baby girl together and I can only understand Redgy will always think about them first. Even if it means I just lost another opportunity to get money and known, I can't blame the guy for that.

However, it's in my nature to argue and try, but when the answer is still no, I just give up with a sigh and ask for a smoke. Redgy hands me a couple with an apologetic smile, and smiling back, I wave my hand and walk away.

      Well. What do I do now ? I'm ing hungry and frustrated for being definitely banned from THE club I had the most wins at. They were the only ones having dance battles that often in a week, and now I don't know if I'll ever get a foot inside other places. If this club banned me, I can only imagine other ones did too. Dark Luna is the biggest around here and control a lot of things, and I've no doubt if my growing reputation got to the boss' ears here, it did in the others.

Maybe at Raven I'll still manage inside, but the place have dance battle only twice a month and offering too little money compared to Dark Luna.

! I feel like I just lost my chance and I can't believe it. I should've expected it, I was certainly expecting something like that... but not so soon. I thought I had a little more time before being banned from this club, and now it's done I shouldn't even be hoping to be allowed in any other place around the area. I could try clubs on the other side of the city, but how the hell am I supposed to go there without money ?

I don't really want to move besides that. I'm maybe homeless, but after six months here I've my habits and acquaintances I will lose if I decide to move to the other side of the city. Maybe I won't have a choice in the end, but for tonight, it's not in my plans and I just want something to eat.

 

      The diner's almost empty, and Karen is working. She's nice, in some way. Rough on the sides with a damn mouth of hers, but she doesn't allow bad at her work place and kicks away idiots thinking they can harass homeless people. I like her for that, but besides that, she's not nice to the point of giving me a free meal, and I know that.

I could offer some help in exchange, but the place's empty and I doubt they'll have anything for me to do. I can still try, but before I can walk to the door a hand tap my shoulder.

Turning around with a frown, I wonder who it can be, then I worry it's the police or something... before falling on the stupid smiling face of this damn boy.

What ? How the hell did he find me ? Is he really stalking me ?

Great, now I'm crept out, but I shouldn't. This boy's looking ing innocent and pure... I shouldn't be freaked, but I can't help it. I don't like to be followed around like that and it puts me on alert.

“What the hell ? How did you find me ?” I shoot in disbelieve, my voice going higher against my will.

“I was passing by and I saw you. What are you doing here ? Are you hungry ?” He asks, still smiling, and sulking (I can't believe I'm sulking) I glare at the boy.

Not because his voice's freaking annoying or something (even if a bit considering I tried so hard to get ride of this boy), but because the first thought crossing my mind is this boy certainly have money and could pay for my diner. I hate myself for thinking like that, but then I hate this boy grabbing my hand and dragging me inside the dinner.

How the hell does he know I'll accept to eat with him ? How can he ing know I'll accept his ing charity ?

Dammit ! He must be a ing medium or something because I find myself sitting at a table (still sulking which annoys me) with the boy sitting across from me -still smiling.

“Can I take your order boys ?” Karen smiles, and I can't help grin at the way the boy flinches at the rudeness piercing through her voice.

She sounds nice, her smile looks sincere, but there's still this straight in the face tone of hers she always uses. It doesn't surprise me anymore, but the boy is and I love it.

“The usual for me.” I smile and she grins back before looking at the pretty boy.

“What about you, honey ?”

“Huh...”

After a stretching second of enjoying the scene, I decide to save the boy and open the menu in front of his face.

“Here, choose from here.” I say, smirking, and meeting Karen's eyes I can't help feel amused even more.

“New around ?” She asks, more at me than the boy.

“He's just a bored rich kid. He'll be gone tomorrow.”

Karen snorts, “What a kid like you's doing around here ? Are you lost ?”

The boy smiles and looks up at her, “Actually, my father kicked me out yesterday and I've been wandering around ever since.”

WHAT ? Huh... He can't be serious, can he ?

So he's homeless too ? I can't believe it. I don't want to believe it, because... ! It makes me feel guilty for treating him like that earlier. But, he doesn't look like a ing street boy...

The hell is going on ?

“Oh, really sweetheart ? I'm sorry to hear that.” Says Karen with a tender look in her eyes, and I can't believe it either.

She never looked at me like that before. ! I've been on the street for the past three years and no one ever looked at me like that -excepted maybe Dongwan, but I hated it. I hate when people pity me... which is maybe why Karen never looked at me like that. But still, my point is it's ing unfair.

“Did you try to talk to him ? Maybe he was just angry and will let you come back home tonight.” She says, sounding genuinely concerned.

The boy shakes his head, “No. I'm not his son anymore. He said so himself... he'll never have a...”

I wait expectantly for the reason he was kicked out, but he suddenly bites his lip and flicks his eyes back to the menu.

“Well, I think I'll try the eggs. With fries. Thank you.” He says with this damn smile back on his lips, and nodding, Karen doesn't mind the abrupt stop to the discussion and walks away to the kitchen.

“Minwoo !” I hear her call which gets my attention away from the boy. “The milkshake machine's broken, you want...” She doesn't continue when she hears me whine desperately. “Don't be such a brat, I'll give you a free muffin instead.”

I mumble in disagreement but don't refuse the muffin either. Who would refuse free food anyway ? It doesn't make the situation better though, because I love milkshakes and everytime I come here I take one. It's the only place I eat at anyway when I've money because they've cheap food.

But no milkshake ? It's like no ride in ing amusement park. It's the end of the world and an aberration. How the hell can the machine be broken when I've the ing opportunity to eat for free thanks to this idiot sitting in front of me.

Glancing up at said idiot, I hate this amused smile on his lips and force myself to forget about the milkshake to put back my usual poker face. Tonight's poker face is more an angry, sulking face, but it'll have to do. I can't pull any other one after such devastating news and I'm starting to resent this boy for the falling on me today.


 

      The boy and I doesn't talk as we wait for our food, and when Karen brings it to us we can't help smile in happiness. It smells so good and my stomach's growling loudly now.

“Here's your muffin. Chocolate chips... that's all we've left.” She says and I can't help the disappointed expression at the reminder I'll have no milkshake tonight.

“Thanks.” I still say in a mumble, because I'm not that rude.

“Thank you very much ma'am.” The boy smiles -I should stop calling him 'the boy', but I can't remember his damn name.

“You're welcome sweety. Enjoy your meal.” She says then walks away.

“Wow, it tastes so good.” The boy says suddenly after a bite, and looking up at him I can't help grin in amusement at such reaction.

“What ? First fast food ?”

“Yes.” The boy nods... damn, I really should ask for his name again, but I don't want to, because he'll think I'm interested in his existence, which I'm not. I just want to enjoy my free food and get ride of him afterward.

Gosh ! Why do I feel guilty for such thoughts ?

“My mother always said it was unhealthy food that would get me killed.”

I snort, because... really ? His mother was worried about him eating junks but not about ending on the street ? I almost voice such comment but restrain myself in time. Not only because I don't want to be mean but because I don't want to let the boy believe he'll be allowed to stick with me after this diner. It's nice of him to pay and all... but I want no one around me all the freaking time.

“Well. It's all you'll be able to afford from now on. At least...” I bite in my hamburger, chew, swallow and say, “If you get the money to pay for it.”

A sad look crosses the boy's face and I can't help feel bad for him. Despite being what he is (meaning a golden boy -and pain in the ) he just lost everything and is in the same situation as me. I maybe never enjoyed the warmness of a loving home living peacefully, but I guess it must be worse to fall so low after having everything in your reach.

In some way, I could pity the boy, but I hate pity. I just feel bad for him and hope he'll do alright.

Without me ! There's no way I'll end up with some kind of charge. It's already hard enough to take care of myself, so if I've to worry about some careless kid above it all it just won't do it.