Chapter Ten

Just One Yesterday

 

TEN

      Lunch was one unbelievable moment for me. I mean, I can't even remember having family lunch even when I was a kid, and I certainly never ate around a table with happy people behaving too much like a normal family. Nothing's normal about the kids here though and I don't know if I'll ever get used to such atmosphere. I feel too out of place yet to tell.

At least, lunch was useful for us to learn Danny was working at a restaurant and the owner was one great guy doing his possible to give a chance to unlucky kids. I sincerely wonder where the hell all these good people were my all life. I mean, I can't be that unlucky to have missed them all and only met the horrible ones. I don't want to admit my karma's such a .

Gabe and Danny weren't the only talkative ones at lunch, Hyesung was too for some reasons. He looked like he was part of this little place for years and eating with people he was close to. Watching him made me wish I could be more like that, but then, my past experiences taught me otherwise and I can't help damn Hyesung for being such a naive idiot.

He definitely didn't register everything I told him out there and I swear I'm gonna kill him if he gets us into deep .

 

      Standing outside at the bay window, I'm trying to figure things out when I hear someone enter the house. I almost don't want to leave the beautiful yard but my curiosity's too strong for me to miss meeting the (technically) new comer. I wonder if it's Lucas, and I can't help the anticipation at the thought. As little glorious of an impression he's made through Danny and Gabe, I sincerely want to meet this mysterious boy. I want to know if he's as bad as others made him sound to be even if not willingly.

I can read between the lines well too ing much and despite trying to make Lucas sound like someone good, I couldn't miss this little worry they had about the boy.

“Hey ! Someone there ?” I stop abruptly midway through the living room when a girl's voice arises.

Well, I guess I'll have to wait a little longer to meet this Lucas.

“Hey ?” The girl's coming closer and soon we find each other face to face.

She looks as surprised as me the very first second our gazes meet, then she relaxes and offers a quite shy smile.

“Huh, hi. You must be the new boy.” She says, taking a few steps closer without never coming too close.

I nod saying, “Yeah. I'm Minwoo.”

She answers to my attempted smile and stretches her arm out. “Sarah. How're you doing ?”

We shake hand and don't really look into each other's eyes. Not that I'm shy, it's just she's really pretty and definitely my style. She's black, thick hair held loosely down her neck with a simple t-shirt and plaid shirt around her waist. Her jeans has holes and tears here and there and fall above black boots making her so freaking stylish. I was never one to care much about fashion considering my situation, but I know perfectly when someone looks good in their clothes -and Sarah does.

Her round face is really cute besides that. She's wide brown eyes staring at me like a deer in the light almost and the little curve of her plump lips is really attractive. Her skin's beautifully tanned and despite her display of shyness at our meeting she looks like a strong girl.

“Good, and you ?” I answer, smiling more comfortably than I feel.

“Fine.” She says, chuckling softly. “Gabe's around ?”

I shrug, not sure.

“Certainly. Last time I saw him he was going to the bathroom.”

She glances in the stairs direction before looking back at me.

“What were you doing ?” She asks and I shrug, again.

“Nothing. I was just getting some air.”

She looks pass me at the opened bay window and smiles softly.

“The view's amazing from here. You should come around for the sunrise. It's the best.”

I nod, smiling. “Thanks for the tip.”

Her reddish lips stretch gently as she jerks her head slightly and says, “No prob. Well, sorry but I've to talk to Gabe.”

“Go ahead.” I say, shrugging a shoulder in a display of nonchalance.

“It's nice to meet you.” She says, about to leave.

“Same here.” I'm sincerely happy for meeting her and it must be clear in my voice.

I watch her disappear upstairs and can't help admire a second longer her . I suddenly feel the want to touch her waist and pull her close to me, and from this point I realize being around the opposite gender isn't going to be easy for me if I keep such thoughts up.


 

      Diner happens with only Gabe, Hyesung and me. Sarah's gone outside once again God knows where (apparently the mall from what Gabe said) and Danny's working. It's more comfortable than at lunch for me. With only the three of us this happy family picture's not here to bother me and I'm glad for that.

I'm really not comfortable with this concept.

“So, how was your first day ?” Gabe looks genuinely curious which makes me a bit awkward.

No one ever cared about me or my life, and having this stranger do just that is weird. I can't help wonder why he would care -then I remember that's how people are in families usually. At least from what I could observe.

“Good.” Hyesung looks so ing happy from the way he smiles. “Danny sounds like a great boy and Sarah's nice.”

Gabe chuckles softly. “She's a lovely girl. A bit shy at times, but she's a temper of hers, so don't provoke her boys.” He says jokingly and we laugh.

“Where are the others ?” I can't help ask and regret it the next second.

I don't want to show any interest but now it's too late and Gabe looks really happy I'm being concerned about this place.

“Lucas likes to be outside. He's with some friends and Tina has a boyfriend. They're going to school together.”

I nod, keeping in a corner of my mind the given information.

“Speaking of school.” Hyesung looks up eagerly, his full attention now on the man instead of his pastas. “I called them the other time after our first meeting and they said if it was alright with you they could meet you next Monday.”

“Really ?”

I can't help smile softly at this lively expression on Hyesung's face. How can someone be so happy about going back to school ? It's certainly something I'll never know but it's always good to see the boy like that.

It warms my heart or some other bull like that.

“Yeah.” Gabe chuckles slightly at the eagerness emanating from Hyesung. “They want to make you pass some tests and all, but it's no worry. They just want to know your level.”

“It's fine.” Hyesung smiles. “Should I study for it ?”

Gabe shrugs. “You don't have to. They just want to know where you stand, but if you really want to I've books you can use.”

“Thank you.”

A comfortable silence fall over us for a moment before the man looks up at me and smiles. Immediately, I feel awkward and like running. I never really liked when people were interested about me.

“What about you Minwoo ? Did you think about what you want to do ?”

I shrug sluggishly. “Find a job, I guess.”

“Do you have any qualifications ?” The question could have upset me, but it sincerely sounds okay.

Gabe is really the curious, caring kind -and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

“I quit school at fourteen. I barely went to school this year anyway.” I say, shrugging and playing with my food.

“What would you like to do, Minwoo ?” What with the sudden seriousness ?

“Huh, I don't know. I don't care. I just want to get outta the street.”

Gabe lets a beat pass then says, “Well. You're out of it at the right moment.” I tense up, feeling cornered. “What do you wish to do with your life, if you have opportunities ?”

I shift on my chair and swallow dryly. I don't know if Gabe notices it, but I'm ing uncomfortable about the topic involving me directly, and I wish he would just ignore me now.

“Dunno.” I say lowly with my gaze on my plate. “I love dance, you know. I wanted to make a living with it, but you know. It's not that simple.” I say, shrugging dismissively, as if to give no real credit to my wishes and desires.

I know how ridiculous it is for kids like me to have expectations. Mostly with no education and all this . Very lucky ones out there can make it out and have a good life, but most of us just end up in a ty place with a less ty life but still ty. I don't want to expect more -even if my dream when out there was to make it at clubs and get a sponsor, I never dreamed to have it easy. I always imagined myself struggling to the top and still living through hardship if I was being a bit lucky.

That's the best I can rationally think about and expecting more will just make me sound like an idiot.

I can't help wonder when I stopped believing naively in my dream. It all happened at the same time as Hyesung butting into my life, and I definitely can't figure if the boy's responsible for my sudden change or the fact I was completely banned from clubs.

Maybe a little mix of both.

“Well.” Gabe's voice makes me tense up. “I can help you with that, if you want.”

I shrug, refusing to accept any kind of help blindly. “It's fine. It was just my dream out there. I never really believed it.” It's a lie, it's mostly a lie, and Gabe seems to notice it. “I just want to get a job now. To take care of myself, you know.”

“Okay.” I didn't expect Gabe to accept my answer so easily, but when he smiles at me sincerely I eventually relax and nod. “I can help you with that too, though.”

I grin. “That'll be nice, thanks.”

“You welcome.”

Once again, diner resumes in silence, and sharing a look with Hyesung, I feel my face heat up in embarrassment. Why the is he looking at me like that ? Wipe this dumb look off of your face you idiot. Dammit ! He looks so proud for some bull reason.

I feel like punching his stupid face, but strangely enough I feel my lips twist slightly in a supposed smile and I've no idea why I feel so... great suddenly.

Is it what you call happiness ?

it's dumb !


 

      The rest of the day is pretty uneventful. Hyesung and I wander around and busy ourselves with whatever we can. The boy ends up in front of TV soon enough while I spend most of my time outside in the yard. There's a pool, like Gabe said, and more than getting in I enjoy sitting around and laying in the grass to watch the night sky.

It's beautiful. Full with shining stars and a half hidden moon lightening the world with its timid glow.

I could spend the night out there, but then there's Gabe calling out for me and telling me he's going to bed and to not forget to lock the window when I go to sleep. It reminds me I've a bed and even a room to myself to sleep in and can't describe how I feel about it.

It's weird, certainly, but the weirdest is this sensation of belonging at the pit of my stomach. I'm not familiar with it and I can't really understand it.

Thinking too much about it makes me sleepy, and pushing myself up I walk back inside and I'm not surprised to find Hyesung still on the couch watching some TV.

“I'm off to bed.” I say, and as if snapped out of it the boy looks up at me and smiles.

“Good night.”

“Night.” I say, walking away.